Season 2011-12

Hoofball

18 Comments: First  |  Last

With Denis in the front, Tim and Felli in the middle, Vellios on the bench, Mikki gone and no replacement, it seems we are going back to the Big Dunc era in the coming seasons. I bet the ball play in the air is far more than in the ground in our attack this season!!!

Royston and Bainsy on the left, Seamus on the right, and the like of Barkley, Bily, Jack, Ossie and Gueye in midfield, we can't say we don't have a strong and supportive midfield; the creativity is the doubt though, but the support to the front should not have any problems like in the past.

Let's give out the best of our aerial threats like the height of Denis and Felli and the ability of Tim.

Leung Chi Ho, Shatin, Hong Kong     Posted 03/09/2011 at 17:30:59

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Kevin Hudson
1   Posted 03/09/2011 at 19:13:01

If it works successfully,it wouldn't bother me. West Brom played pretty football,and got relegated. I'd rather see effective dross,rather than ineffectual gloss..

Let the aerial bombardment commence..!
Julian Wait
2   Posted 03/09/2011 at 19:35:44

I would rather see a skilled but direct and effective approach, than watching 10 sideways passes with no end product except when Baines crosses it.

It doesn't have to be hoofball just because it is direct / fast.
Chris Matheson
3   Posted 03/09/2011 at 20:46:33

I once asked David Moyes about why we had started to play better football rather than the hoofball of earlier on that season (it was a few years ago now). Anyway he really didn't take well to me using that phrase.

I hate hoofball a la Duncan Ferguson, but I hate the one-dimensional out to the wings and high ball lobbed back in.

What worries me is that if one of these signings, say Royston, is fast, then he will be misused like Andy Johnson - sent chasing a ball into the corner and then, err, well that's it. Nobody following him up to support him.

Anyway my own view is, let's give them a chance and give Moyesey a chance to see if he can use them to score us a few goals.
David Hallwood
4   Posted 03/09/2011 at 21:00:02

Another thing about hoofball is that no team's been successful using it and it gets found out very quickly
Dermot O'Brien
5   Posted 03/09/2011 at 21:07:37

Wimbledon were fairly successful with hoofball. until they were relegated and set up a tennis club.
Ted Smeethes
6   Posted 03/09/2011 at 21:12:10

We could win the league this year me thinks with an Argie up front, a dutch winger. Damm, this whiskey's good.
Chris Milligan
7   Posted 03/09/2011 at 21:08:46

Personally I am fed up with all this Arteta blah blah Kenwright blah blah and all the other stories I just can`t wait to see my team in action regularly. I hate these international breaks they stop me watching the blues in action with or without Arteta. God I need to get a life!!!!!
Jon Cox
8   Posted 03/09/2011 at 21:39:00

To be fair, hoofball has it's place and so does the passing game. It's a case of mix and match. For me a good manager will do his homework on the team next in line to be played and alter his tactics accordingly.

Not seen this much with Davey over the years but one lives in hope.
I know people dont think much of You tube to evaluate an incomming player but from what I saw of the Dutchman really excited me and left me with the first bit of opptimism fro a lonf while.

Seeing the same with our new CF I too thought of big Dunc.

The teams who come to Goodison and park the bus a bit of hoof may come in handy. It's the second ball we have to be aware of something that has not been addressed in the past few seasons.

Good luck to Mickey and lets show the shitface meeja that we are the best supporters in the land and give him a standing ovation when he visits us.

Jon. (Shatin, Cornwall, but made good my escape before the bizzies could collar me)
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 03/09/2011 at 21:56:28

One worry about this new striker Denis is that one of his strengths from what I've found on YouTube (not a great source) is headed goals; we have poor wings (hopefully Drenthe will improve one) but not sure if Denis is a holding up the ball and creating goals for himself type striker.

The other thing is that Moyes has never just thrown a player straight in and I don't expect to see Denis for some time... even if he is just on loan.
Jon Cox
10   Posted 03/09/2011 at 22:22:21

Gav, Moyes maybe, just maybe, about to throw caution to the wind. In terms of odds, with the two new guys,

It has to happen sometime. Moyes at some point (not sure when) must get to a stage where he looks at his bank statement and think fuck it.

When we see wild attacking football and goals as a must, then we will know what he was reading, over his cornflakes, and that A. He couldn't give a shit anymore, and B. He couldn't give a shit anymore because since when did Davey ever have a plan "B"

Sorry Blackburn, He started with plan "B"
Neil Steele
11   Posted 03/09/2011 at 23:11:51

Pretty much summed up where we are heading nicely with the original post.

Moyes is reverting to type. He has given football a go, hasn't got the first clue how to make it work, so has now given up and fully committed back to the hoofball, or 'percentage football' as I call it.

The closest we have got to anything resembling 'proper' football was the artistry of Arteta bouncing off the likes of Pienaar, Fernandes for that brief spell, and more recently the wonderful Leighton Baines.

Sadly, when the rest of the side is made up of players who's primary attributes are physical ones..it is never going to amount to much.

To be honest you could put Xavi and Iniesta in our midfield now, and with Cahill and this new grock up front, it wouldn't really make any difference.

Moyes whole philosophy is based around not losing as opposed to winning. I never see him send a team out that looks charged up and motivated to take a game to the opposition...it's always a case of "lets do the simple things well, dont take any chances, play the percentages...and hopefully we will get the first goal".

The likes of Fellaini and Cahill, they are rank average footballers. They win goal kicks though, they win a lot of set plays in both boxes, they provide a physical barrier to the opposition...Moyes delights in the wares of these (relative) donkeys!

I am just praying that soon it will all be over. A new broom is needed and hopefully, along with the chairman, Moyes and his dreadful negativity will be swept away once and for all.
Jon Cox
12   Posted 03/09/2011 at 23:44:32

Neil Steele, as a Gemini, I really get the understanding of your post.

But....
Dick Fearon
13   Posted 04/09/2011 at 00:14:41

You can rate Cahill in any way you like but you have to admit that in every game he puts in a solid shift. I dearly wish a couple of others did the same.
Steve Mink
14   Posted 04/09/2011 at 00:25:18

Yeah!

Let's play hoofball! And bring back Unsy because he was a good hoofer! And get bock the big goal-shy galoof Dunc from Malaga!

Yeah!
Sean McKenna
15   Posted 04/09/2011 at 07:12:03

Wow 10 years in charge and we still get hoofball? Brilliant!!! Tell me this then ? why even have a manager? Just put some bloke on the bench shouting "Hoof!!" It would save £3.5mill a year!

Well I won't accept dross like this, these are highly paid footballers, they are meant to be able to play the game at a much higher levels than the common player!!

I could play in this Everton team, I'm serious! All I would have to do is run run run and win a few headers! I chose the wrong career.

Leung Chi Ho
16   Posted 04/09/2011 at 08:07:30

Remember that, when the year Rooney gone and we finished 4th, we won a lot of 1-0 in that year, just like what Chelsea, the champion, did that year, I would say we like are low-grade version of Chelsea.

Last 3 years, Stoke City played hoofball and finished 12th, 11th and 13th; I would say we in every department are more advance than them. So, sad but true, playing hoofball can make us finish in the top half of the table.

I would rather see us win ugly and grab 3 points than play pretty but draw the game with the opposition parking a bus in their goal.
Gavin Ramejkis
17   Posted 04/09/2011 at 11:19:28

One thing I've gleaned over his reign is that Moyes only changes his plan when he's forced to do so. Now his squad is down to 18 players, it may come quicker than usual but I think it'll be forced upon him than some "master stroke" of genius.
Chris Butler
18   Posted 04/09/2011 at 11:59:28

To be honest, I'm not worried how many poor teams there are in the Premier League. Villa are a team who have no class except Darren Bent. Stoke are a decent side, I have to say ? I think they could do really well this season, but they're not exactly amazing. Liverpool have a decent main 11 but if there's a few injuries they'll really struggle. Spurs never looked that good last season, never mind this season. Newcastle are a pretty poor side, as are the likes of West Brom, Sunderland, Fulham and Bolton. We can easily get a few decent results in the next few games.