Season 2011-12

An interesting question...

38 Comments: First  |  Last

... was posed in today's Sunday Times by Rod Liddle. Rod himself is a bit like Marmite, you either love him or hate him. Personally I don't always agree with his views on football and politics, but in his article today he reviews the transfer window across both Championship and EPL.

His view is that both us and Spurs were the biggest losers this window. His question is "Do Everton have anybody left you would pay to watch?"

Tricky one? I'm hoping it's Mr Barkley.

Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 04/09/2011 at 13:44:40

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Max Fine
1   Posted 04/09/2011 at 14:34:19

Sounds like the usual kind of drivel written by tabloid journalists - never watches our games, has no idea about fan opinion yet makes incendiary comments based on a few other tabloid gossipers and a couple of biased highlights on MotD. Albeit with a nauseating sense of intellectualism and a thesaurus.

Still, all fanning the underdog flames which will suit us down to the ground, so no complaints there.
Lee Courtliff
2   Posted 04/09/2011 at 14:40:49

Baines without doubt. Coleman has got plenty out of their seat more than once and Barkley looks like a real prospect.

So my answer is clearly YES.
David Hallwood
3   Posted 04/09/2011 at 14:54:57

Isn't he a Millwall supporter and didn't wasn't he exposed for posting racist comments on a fan's website under a nom de plume?

If so (a) who the fuck's interested by what he's got to say and (b) if you are why?
Marc Williams
4   Posted 04/09/2011 at 14:55:17

YES.....Doris the tea lady.

The way she pours a cuppa is 'artistry in motion' & when she bends over to get the custard creams ..WOW!
Dick Anderson
5   Posted 04/09/2011 at 15:49:04

I don't pay to watch individual players. I pay to watch the team.

Players come and go. It's the club I support.
Ray Roche
6   Posted 04/09/2011 at 15:51:12

Rod Liddle.The well known Hater of Scousers. Never has a good word to say about Merseyside nor does he miss a chance to knock us.
Charlie Percival
7   Posted 04/09/2011 at 16:06:53

I pay to watch Everton, not individuals. Individuals are a bonus of course though I won't be giving Barclays Bank anymore of my money. Sorry, Bill.
GJ Butler
8   Posted 04/09/2011 at 16:17:38

There's probably only about 10 people in world football you would pay to watch specifically.
Kevin Hudson
9   Posted 04/09/2011 at 16:18:32

It is NOT an interesting question,

As I don't pay to watch Everton in the same manner as I would choose which restaurant to dine in, which film to rent, which brand of beer to buy.

I pay to watch Everton because I'm emotionally bound to the club for life. It is not something I selectively pick & choose at whim.

I'm pretty sure this is the same for 99% of supporters. Liddle's fair-weather,Johhny come-lately audience may differ.
Karl Masters
10   Posted 04/09/2011 at 16:52:48

You will get a lot of this nonsense from lazy National journos when instead they should be investigating just why Everton have ' never attracted a serious bid ' according to Bill Kenwright.

Even Karren Brady was asking this question in the Sun last week. Love or hate the woman or that paper, I had to chuckle when she told us that fat overpaid lump, Benni McCarthy had described her as 'a witch with tits'. Her reposte? ' Well Benni,at least I am supposed to have tits.' Classic.
Paul Knox
11   Posted 04/09/2011 at 17:22:09

Dick summed it up, we support everton, star players come and go, so do directors & managers.
Gerry Quinn
12   Posted 04/09/2011 at 18:22:33

This is about as interesting as the People starting to get Ross Barkley to Manure as soon as the window re-opens...FFS
Dennis Stevens
13   Posted 04/09/2011 at 18:30:13

Who's Rod Liddle? - I've heard of Marmite, although I prefer Vegemite.
Alan Humphreys
14   Posted 04/09/2011 at 18:53:44

Never heard of him ? I follow a few journo's on twitter whose view, whilst I don't always agree with, is at the very least backed up with intelligent research and argument.

That said, I agree with the collective comments above ? you pay to watch the team not Player A, B or C. You win as a team, etc etc.
Brian Hill
15   Posted 04/09/2011 at 20:09:49

Pointless submission. As Charlie Percival noted above, we pay to watch Everton, not any individual. If Lionel Messi was playing for my local non-league team I wouldn't go, simply because I don't care about that team, irrespective of the ability of any one player.
Albert Perkins
16   Posted 04/09/2011 at 20:17:46

I am very interested to see how well the new signings will perform. They could be amazing. Baines and Barkley are exciting the crowd. Will Coleman settle into the RB position? Will Fellaini get back to his best? Will Jack step up this season? Can Osman reach his heights of last session? Will Arteta's departure mean Bily gets another chance, and in his best position, and will he be successful? And what about the youngsters coming through?

I am excited to see what happens, and will be with them and you all supporting them through thick and thin. And there is nothing like seeing our boys beating the stars. Sure, I'll pay to see that.

Richard Harris
17   Posted 04/09/2011 at 21:28:27

Rod Liddle is a complete and utter twat so I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.....
Ben Patchesa
18   Posted 04/09/2011 at 21:29:58

Aren't witches adult females, and don't adult females have breasts? Is it different in South Africa, or was Mr McCarthy calling Ms Brady a witch in an unnecessarily convoluted manner?
Dick Fearon
19   Posted 04/09/2011 at 21:52:01

Denis S # 13, We have our differences but we agree that Vegemite is better than Marmite.
Ian Smitham
20   Posted 04/09/2011 at 22:19:15

I read the "Times" too today. I thought a more interesting article was in the sport section regarding the net spending of the Premier League teams over the last few years.

I would cut & paste it to you all but alas, my skills are not up to it. Soz

James Stewart
21   Posted 04/09/2011 at 22:25:47

Baines
Anthony Manning
22   Posted 05/09/2011 at 00:07:32

Well thats Rod Liddle banned from goodison!!!
Nick Armitage
23   Posted 04/09/2011 at 23:59:38

There aren't many players I would pay to watch individually, but most of them belong to the French women's football team.
Nick Armitage
24   Posted 04/09/2011 at 23:59:38

Nick Armitage
25   Posted 04/09/2011 at 23:59:38

David Hallwood
26   Posted 05/09/2011 at 00:42:43

Nick #23,24,25I wonder what you were doing with your right hand when you posting about the French women's team? seem to get a bit carried away there
Stephen Kenny
27   Posted 05/09/2011 at 07:28:01

Regardless of his views or what he tastes like, I think it's a fair question.

Just because you pay to watch the team doesn't mean you can't enjoy seeing individual brilliance.

As a lover of genuine football, I have in the past, while I've been on holiday, paid to watch Ajax and Barca. The player I wanted to see at Ajax was injured so I just enjoyed the game.

I wen't to Barca to see Ronaldinho and it was the best £50 I've spent. He was a one-man team and it was a joy to watch a player at that level. I wasn't bothered about the result because I don't support them but watching the player who could be considered the greatest ever at his absolute peak was mesmerising.

Arteta is the closest thing we've had to the above over Moyes's reign. Most of us know he's been off it for a while but to the outside world he's still our best, most skillful player.

The only player who gets me out my seat these days is Seamus, other teams have four or five of these types.
Guy Hastings
28   Posted 05/09/2011 at 08:46:43

Message removed by moderators
Tony Waring
29   Posted 05/09/2011 at 09:12:46

Actually Morrisons (no I have no connection withthem whatsoever) sell an alternative to Marmite which is just as tasty and a lot cheaper.
Mark Murphy
30   Posted 05/09/2011 at 09:26:29

Dick and Dennis you have clearly been away to long!
No WAY is Vegemite better than Marmite!

Kevin Gillen
31   Posted 05/09/2011 at 09:30:13

There will be great interest this year in watching Everton avoid the drop. The journos will be no doubt be lined up aound the block to pat Moyes and Kenwright for achieving a magnificent 12th place in the Premier League.

It is hard to find something to do for 35,000 people on a Saturday afternoon other than watch Everton. I take comfort from the fact that long after this board has gone, I will still be an Evertonian but at the moment I'm with this journalist, it is too painful to go and watch and support Everton. I'm following from an armchair.

Steve Guy
32   Posted 05/09/2011 at 09:43:45

Crikey ! I was only trying to lighten the mood a bit ! Wish I'd not mentioned the origins of the question as it turned the post into an anti Liddle rant ! As I said I don't always agree with him and at the end of the day he is paid to be controversial.

Mr. Liddle to one side, I actually do think individuals matter and saying as some have that "I come to watch the team and not individuals" doesn't really cut it for me. Aside from the fact that all anyone talks about after a game is the performance of said individuals, I believe that having exciting players in the side creates a similar excitement around the team, galvanising both players and supporters. A boring side is typically one that doesn't have any stand out players; my question was whether we still feel we have the players to keep us interesting (DM's occasional tactics to one side) and wanting to go the game more.
Guy Hastings
33   Posted 05/09/2011 at 11:14:12

As soon as we get a stand-out player, someone comes in for him.
Karl Meighan
34   Posted 05/09/2011 at 11:21:23

What makes me laugh here is that this clown probably doesn't pay to watch any matches and then spends most of the ninety mins in the Club bar were his newspaper picks up the tab.

As others have said, there are a host of other Premier League Clubs who have a far worse playing style. Regardless of players, it's the manager who sets out the pattern of play. Maybe the question should have been: How many players in the Prem are worth paying to watch at the £70+ his beloved London Clubs charge?
Adam Bennett
35   Posted 05/09/2011 at 12:39:10

Don?t give two shits what about what he says.

The man is a fucking gobshite.

I remember a few years ago when we played Millwall in the FA Cup, and he wrote a big piece in a national newspaper ripping in to Everton and Merseyside for police for heavy handed treatment of the Millwall fans like they were all a bunch of angels.

Prick.
Stephen Lewis
36   Posted 05/09/2011 at 12:49:14

I'll get my tin hat on now but I rather enjoy Rod Liddle's writing. He is not politically correct but he is very firmly on the side of the underdog.

He obviously enjoys having a pop at anyone and everyone but having read his football related columns for some years now I have concluded that Everton is one of the very few teams in the Premier League he has any time for at all.

I was rather surprised by his question because Tim Cahill is one of his favourite players.
Andy Morden
37   Posted 05/09/2011 at 13:15:44

Do the Sunday Times have any writers left that you would make you part with money to read their work?
Howard Don
38   Posted 06/09/2011 at 13:56:13

Agreed, Stephen (36). Rod Liddle's main column in the news section of the paper is my favourite Sunday morning read. He's brilliant at exposing nonesense and pc rubbish. Having said that though I don't even bother to read his sports articles much, but like you I would have thought he'd have had something of a soft spot for us.