Season 2011-12

Who's Gonna Start?

76 Comments: First  |  Last

I have just found out that Baines picked up an injury on England duty and has returned to Everton. I think it was a hamstring injury.

Also, I have just discovered that "Big" Vic picked up an injury playing for Nigeria and is expected to be out for 2-3 weeks.

So...........who's gonna start on Saturday if these two are out?

I know a lot of you don't think Moyes has the "balls" to throw in Stracqualursi straight away and many of you have constantly bemoaned our lack of cover at left back.

My own opinion is that Moyes will play Saha from the start (if he is actually fit?) and at left back..............i am not sure.

Who would you play??

I would LIKE to see Denis and Drenthe start the game myself. I would even consider putting Neville at left back and Hibbert at RB. Distin is an option too, with Heitinga partnering Jagielka at centre half.

I feel that if we put the new lads in from the start it might help get the crowd a bit more 'up for it'. I accept that they may be complete shite but there is only one way to find out I suppose.

Lee Courtliff, Burnley     Posted 05/09/2011 at 16:21:25

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Jeremy Benson
1   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:03:58

There is more chance of me getting a date with Angelina Jolie than those two newbies have of starting on saturday!
Guy Hastings
2   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:06:15

#Jeremy1 Just put yourself up for adoption, she'll be round like a shot.
Chris Keightley
3   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:09:02

Lee - "I accept that they may be complete shite." ? What sort of response is that? Firstly, Drenthe has played at Real Madrid so I guess he's not that bad. As for the lad upfront, if he read the response he has had from contributors on this site alone, if I was him I'd take a U-turn and go home! Poor, Lee... really poor!
Keith Glazzard
4   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:05:47

Am I right in thinking that Moyes has put Neville at LB before now? And that would almost certainly mean Hibbert at RB.

I like the idea of Distin moving over and Heitinga going back, but it almost certainly won't happen. Just like either of the two new signings starting.
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:12:30

Just three injuries and the true size of the "squad" shows itself, can anyone name the starting 11 and bench for the weekend and how many of them have kicked a ball in the EPL? Hangs head shaking it and gets no pleasure from the obvious fucking told you this was coming moment
Chris Ashton
6   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:12:24

Well if Baines is injured then Royston can play as an attacking full back in his place. I think that could happen, with Fellaini, Rodwell, Osman, Barkley and Billy in midfield. Although Jack or Ross will be on the right i'm guessing with Osman behind Saha. The rest will be as you were with Denis on the bench.

Btw I cannot think of any other midfielders we have at this present moment in time that is not injured, is that really all we have?
Mark Wayman
7   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:14:49

Hopefully Baines will be fit for Saturday. Otherwise Drenthe has played at left back previously.

I would have thought that if Anichebe and Saha were injured that Cahill would start. but apparently he may be injured as well now.

Oh well, I'm not going to moan elsewise our Captain might 'savage' me.
Jay Harris
8   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:15:36

If Anichebe,Baines and Cahill are out I dont see he has any option but to play the 2 new signings.

Gueye is apparently still injured so I expect Drenthe will start at LB or LM although it wouldnt surprise me if Neville started at LB.
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:20:25

Christ Jay forgot that from the other thread, that means out of the 18 we have

Anichebe - injured
Baines - injured (please get well by Saturday)
Saha - who knows?
Cahill - injured
Gueye - injured
Yobo - is he still here?

so thats 4 out of 18 injured, another who could be depending on if his cotton wool falls off between now and then and another who might be i Turkey already - is that even enough left for a starting 11 and bench without choosing some of our schoolkids again?
Gareth Humphreys
10   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:22:57

I'd play Neville, Heitinga, Jags, Distin accross the back which is still decent.
Midfield of Osman, Fellaini, Barkely, Rodwell Drenthe and Saha up top.
Bench is looking very sparse - Mucha, Hibbert, Strack., Bily, Baxter, Velios and one other??
This demonstration needs to work.
Chris Ashton
11   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:26:50

Gavin you have forgot Coleman as well! Potentially 6 players out injured by september with not even a squad to cope. The joys of being an Evertonian!
Chris Ashton
12   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:26:50

Mike Oates
13   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:37:21

With only 2 days training together the team will be a safe bet
Howard
Hibs Jags Distin Neville
Heitinga
Osman Fellaini Rodwell Barkley
Saha
Subs ; Strack,Drenthe,Mucha, Billy, Baxter, Velios, Wallace
Tony Cheek
14   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:44:18

Saha still injured according to the OS.....injury: unknown....christ , they cant even find out whats wrong with him. Do you think it could be a psychological thing?
Tony Cheek
15   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:44:18

Ian Kearney
16   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:49:44

I dont mind Gareth's team too much, but I fear Mike is closer to the 'Moyes favourites' starting 11, with a back four of Hibbo, Jags, Distin and Nev, I hope the midfield have been doing strengh work on their necks, because their gonna be watching the ball float aimlessly over them an awful lot.
Cathal Naughton
17   Posted 05/09/2011 at 17:56:27

I'd give bidwell or garbutt a shot, at least they can pass to feet and have a decent cross in them.
Gavin Ramejkis
18   Posted 05/09/2011 at 18:07:31

Cheers Chris, the more you think about the injuroes the more depressing it gets.

Tony, Saha seriously considered retirement last season, even he knows he's on borrowed time
Ian Kearney
19   Posted 05/09/2011 at 18:17:08

Its a strange one with Saha, that somebody who appears to be such a natural athelete can be so fragile.
Paul Gladwell
20   Posted 05/09/2011 at 18:33:49

Absolute disgrace and still we hear pricks like our captain moaning about us moaning and people sticking up for kenwright, he has gambled with out top flight status its not like years ago when we were shit, the standard of the lesser teams is much better I serious worry of what is ahead.
Paul Gladwell
21   Posted 05/09/2011 at 18:38:09

The will soon march in two months or so time if we have struggled against all the top sides and are lying in a dangerous position which is highly possible.
Ajay Gopal
22   Posted 05/09/2011 at 18:37:23

It's gonna be:

Saha
Drenthe, Fellaini, Osman, Rodwell, Barkley
Distin, Heitinga, Jagielka, Neville
Howard

Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Bily, Vellios, Stracqualursi, Wallace, Baxter
Richard Dodd
23   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:08:33

Neville will be at left-back with Hibbo alongside him.Saha will be up front-alone.Both the newcomers will be introduced on 70mins,Simples!
Jay Harris
24   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:07:18

Bring your boots Gav.

You might get a game if this gets any worse.

If your past record includes more than 1 goal a season you might even get Anichebe's shirt.
John Audsley
25   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:06:47

Attacking wise Everton are a disgrace

May as well just go 4 -6-0.

Seriously, who the the hell is going to either create a goal or score a goal????
Tony Pickering
26   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:16:20

Isn't Luke Garbutt meant to be promising in the left back position? Or is he failing to deliver at his current level? I don't know and would welcome enlightenment from those who do. He did cause a lot of ill feeling a feew years ago when we got hime from Leeds, so I was hoping he may be worth it.

Still, it makes no difference I fear, Moyes will usually play someone out of position rather than take what may be a risk with a youngster. I think it's it'll be Neville myself.

Mike Gaynes
27   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:17:17

Anybody watching the U21 game against Israel?

Interesting... Rodwell at center back with two central midfielders in front of him. Barkley and Gosling.
Keith Glazzard
28   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:36:16

Jeez - that means Rodwell and Barkley injured for Saturday.
Tony Pickering
29   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:42:14

@Keith - you seem as cynical as me! Or should that be realistic? Also am watching that match on and off - sadly not impressed with our lads at the mo.
Tony Pickering
30   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:46:35

Hmm - got to go and eat now. Must add, in our lads' defence, that they are both in unfamiliar roles - good experience and fingers crossed on the injury front.
Guy Hastings
31   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:41:43

Heitinga at the back, Distin to fullback, Drenthe in as pace man. PN in somewhere. Up front, Vellios or Denis with the starter coming on at 67 minutes.
Smart money - Drenthe gets the first card/first goal of game.
Mike Gaynes
32   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:48:53

Thought for a second Keith was being clairvoyant... England centerback just went down and was carried off... but it turned out to be Baker, not Rodwell. Whew.
Mike Gaynes
33   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:50:28

Barkley not having a great game passing, although he did have a left-foot cracker from about 25 yards that the keeper barely parried
David Mathieson
34   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:54:14

I hope Neville is left back, left back in Manchester.
Keith Glazzard
35   Posted 05/09/2011 at 19:51:41

Give it time Mike.

Certainly hope not, but we've always said that international duties heave never done us any favours - injuries and tap-ups.

ps I wonder if Arteta's chances of playing for Spain, something he would love dearly, have improved now he's a London player?
Gavin Ramejkis
36   Posted 05/09/2011 at 20:01:12

Jay, Moyes wouldn't have known what to do with me back in my day - a right winger and scored a fair few, the older me as I slowed up became a right back, he'd probably be made up trying to smash whatever square pegs he has fit into round holes with little balance
James Morgan
37   Posted 05/09/2011 at 20:22:32

Ajay #21, I'm going with your line up.
John Daley
38   Posted 05/09/2011 at 21:28:59

"I would even consider putting Neville at left back and Hibbert at RB".

I don't think Moyes would consider anything else.
James Stewart
39   Posted 05/09/2011 at 21:36:10

Drenthe is a left back. Play him.

The Beckford sale is starting to look very bad business. Saha won't last the 90 mins.
Tom Bowers
40   Posted 05/09/2011 at 21:53:39

We have new players to improve the squad don't we? Let's get them out on the park and see what they can do.
Get the old malingerers out and the youngsters in. Barkley for Osman for starters. Velios for Anichebe. Rodwell for Distin at the back. If there is a question about King Louis's fitness then put in the Argie but for God's sake Moyes let's see something new.
Gerard Carey
41   Posted 05/09/2011 at 21:58:31

Is Saha really fit to play, not many options really. Going be a long season
Martin Handley
42   Posted 05/09/2011 at 22:12:05

Our only natural replacement for Baines is Wallace, but will Moyes be brave enough? Not a chance... in an ideal world, the line up would be:

Howard,
Hibbert, Jags, Distin, Wallace
Barkley, Bily Fellaini, Drenthe
Denis, Vellios.

But we all know it won't be.

John Daley
43   Posted 05/09/2011 at 22:26:36

Is Wallace not an attacking midfielder, Martin?
Tony Twist
44   Posted 05/09/2011 at 23:01:57

Shame about injuries to Baines, Victor and Cahill, if we have to play 5 in midfield I would like to see Howard Hibbert Jags Heitinga Neville Barkley Rodwell Bily Fellaini Drenthe Denis. Bily is a risk I think, Ossie might be a safer bet.
Dick Fearon
45   Posted 05/09/2011 at 22:52:47

It did not need a body language expert to see Cahill had picked up a severe leg injury against Thailand. He is now with the Australia squad preparing for a WC qualifier in Saudi Arabia.

In light of Everton?s worrying injury list if Tim played in the Saudi game.it would display a lack of respect to our club and supporters. If anything he should be recuperating at Finch Farm already in preparation for the Villa game. Whether or not he risks further damage is he facing a long journey only a day or two before the Villa game.

Much maligned Capello and Nigeria showed common sense by releasing Baines and Victor. We should expect similar action from Australia.

Michael Mcloughlin
46   Posted 05/09/2011 at 23:26:45

Howard
Neville Jags Heitinga Distin
Felli
Barkley Rodwell Osman Drenthe
Big Den
Mike Hughes
47   Posted 05/09/2011 at 23:28:07

#2 Guy - brilliant - made me laugh.

5pm Saturday and Villa will be crying all the way down the M6.

We'll stuff them.

Agree with #12 Mike on line up.

Seriously, Villa will have post traumatic stress disorder come 5pm Saturday.

They'll still be shitting themselves on Monday.
Matteo Rosingana
48   Posted 05/09/2011 at 23:43:40

I'd just like Moyes to play people in their right positions. If Saha, Cahill and Anichebe are out, then please let's not try and fill the role with a midfielder. Let's put the new lad up there, or Velios.
Keith Glazzard
49   Posted 05/09/2011 at 23:48:05

Matteo - totally agree, Apostolos would be my choice. But DM's? That would be a real surprise.

I think someone mentioned Yobo as a potential LB. The OS tell us that the Turkish window closed later than ours and he's back at Fenerbache.
Richard Porter
50   Posted 05/09/2011 at 23:51:29

Re: number 40.

James Wallace is a central midfielder who, to my knowledge, has never played left back. The reserve team left backs are Jake Bidwell and Luke Garbutt.

DIstin and Drenthe have played at left back in the past, and Phil Neville earned most of his England caps as a left back, and I would rather see any one for hem playing left back than any of the reserves.
Colin Smith
51   Posted 05/09/2011 at 23:47:14

It's interesting nobody thinks "Bily" will start despite all the injuries & transfers, can his currency sink any lower? Agree with Mike (12) on the starting 11 for Saturday. However, if Saha is crocked I reckon Moyes will give Vellios a go. The new lads will be on the bench.
Chad Schofield
52   Posted 06/09/2011 at 00:29:12

I can see Drenthe loving his debut if he's going to get barked at by Captain 'Chunt' Neville from behind and Moyes from the side.

But Heitinga can play RB, which would be preferable to the dynamic passing of Hibbert and Neville at fullback.

I'd like to see The Drac given a go later on, but Vellios given a chance. Baxter would just get stomped on.

Otherwise, it'll be normal service in the middle of the park pretty much...
Paul Kak
53   Posted 06/09/2011 at 03:10:21

Cahill is fit and will play. Baines is an oustide chance. Saha is out.

Denis and Royston to start
Ryan Rosenberg
54   Posted 06/09/2011 at 06:50:17

Howard
Hibbert Heitinga Distin Neville
Rodwell Fellaini
Barkley Bilyaletdinov Drenthe
Denis
Eric Myles
55   Posted 06/09/2011 at 09:26:01

Well with 7 players ruled out from an 18 player squad I'd say the starting 11 is taken care of by default.
Eric Myles
56   Posted 06/09/2011 at 10:30:59

Make that 8 players out, I forgot about Coleman!
James Morgan
57   Posted 06/09/2011 at 10:35:00

I hope Drenthe starts and runs rings around Hutton.
Start Saha then throw on Big Den to scare the shit out of them in the second half!
John Crook
58   Posted 06/09/2011 at 11:34:13

I don't recall Distin ever playing at left back even for his previous clubs. It would be interesting to see if he can do it; he can certainly bomb forward. But my guess is Pip will be left back on Saturday if Baines is out.
Peter Dancer
59   Posted 06/09/2011 at 13:06:18

Would like to see both the newbies start but would also like to see this opportunity given to either Garbutt or Bidwell. Our other young players that have had to step in because of injury have done well in past (Coleman et al).

Howard
Neville, Johnny, Jags, Garbutt
Barkley, Osman, Fellaini, Drenthe
Denis, Vellios.

Wishful thinking though.
Tom Bowers
60   Posted 06/09/2011 at 14:43:19

As long as we have Osman starting, we will be weak in midfield. Believe me, he is well past his sell-by date literally but he gets in by default and we have to get by. Villa will have new players on view aiming to impress and Everton should counter but Moyes usually starts them on the bench and will bring them on when we go behind.
Peter Dancer
61   Posted 06/09/2011 at 18:24:29

@ Tom # 59

Have to disagree there about Osman. Think a couple of years ago you'll have been right, but last season he really picked up some form, almost out of nowhere, and i think he's continued that on into this season. Would def choose him over Rodwell at the mo, who seems to have lost all form and needs a big 'must try harder'.
Justin Holland
62   Posted 06/09/2011 at 19:09:40

Victor started and played the whole match vs Argentina.
Tom Bowers
63   Posted 06/09/2011 at 18:46:29

Peter,
Yes he did play somewhat better in the last few games but he is still weak and we need someone stronger and quicker.
Ged Washington
64   Posted 06/09/2011 at 20:29:09

I believe Saha's out due to bed sores ; )
Tom Abdy
65   Posted 06/09/2011 at 20:38:49

Didn't really know where to post this, but I'm loving the quotes from our two new boys...

Kevin Batters
66   Posted 06/09/2011 at 21:54:43

I thought both Cahill and Anichebe were out injured? I see both played in games today!
Mark McDonald
67   Posted 07/09/2011 at 00:21:16

Has anyone got any humorous new songs for the two new boys?

With Anichebe looking doubtful for the Villa game then unless Moyes selects Saha as the lone striker, Denis should start upfront and with the Yak now gone instead of "Feed the Yak and he will score" how about "Feed the Strac and he will score"?

I am still working on something for Roy...

Andrew Fair
68   Posted 07/09/2011 at 09:25:56

Eric#55 Who are the 7 ruled out from are 18? Coleman, Anichebe are 2 Yobo gone so 3 then maybe Baines and Cahill. 5 Maximum. Gueye isnt on our list of 18 he is classed as youth as are Barkley, Rodwell and Vellios.

Everyone who thinks Drenthe will play are probably wrong- he has said he wont be fit enough till Wigan game.
Graham Holliday
69   Posted 07/09/2011 at 10:52:41

This is Moyes.

If Baines isn't fit, and Cahill is touch and go, it will be:

Howard,
Hibbert, Distin, Jagielka, Neville
Osman, Heitinga, Rodwell, Fellaini, Barkley
Anichebe

The only one I'm not sure about is he may replace Big Vic with Saha, especially if the former is injured... though it would be a surprise if the latter isn't injured too to be honest!

If both are injured, just throw in another midfielder...
Peter Dancer
70   Posted 07/09/2011 at 11:14:05

@Mark #67 Gota be something to make out of Denis the menace.

@ Tom # 63 Agree he's weak, but best of what we've got for that position at the mo.
Laurie Hartley
71   Posted 07/09/2011 at 11:36:43

John Ausley @ 25 - I'm hoping this bloke can score a few goals for us. If he's fit I'd give him a run.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxVS4_8U2I

For me the back four is a no brainer - got to be:
Neville - Heitinga - Jagielha and Distin at left back
Midfield
Rodwell - Fellaini - Osman - Barkley
Up front
Perm any 2 from 3 (if available)
Saha - Stracqualursi - Cahill.

I;d give Drenth a run in the second half
Daniel A Johnson
72   Posted 07/09/2011 at 12:22:28

Ha ha ha yeah let Kenwright and Moyes continue to do the good work.

I'll be supporting teh Blue Union alrighta t the weekend.

We as an established prem club are a fucking disgrace.

Were heading towards the abyss...............with no attacking options
Barry Curran
73   Posted 07/09/2011 at 13:07:03

I'm going to my first game this season with the kids, costing near 500 to go... I'm no fan of Blue Bill, but I am of Everton and I can't wait to get behind the boys. We know we aren't flush with strikers but at least let's get behind whoever starts. People respond better to constructive criticism than destructive, I just hope whoever plays gives their all. COYB ? cant wait.
Tony X Williams
74   Posted 08/09/2011 at 02:23:41

OUCH! Things get worse by the minute. Scans have revealed that Anichebe's injury is worse than first thought ? he will be out for 3 months!
Eric Myles
75   Posted 08/09/2011 at 02:37:23

Andrew #68 Saha is another one, OK I counted Gueye but if he's not in the 18 fair enough.

The other one? Mucha, we can't play with 2 goalies, unless Moyes plans to use him as an extra forward?
Wayne Smyth
76   Posted 08/09/2011 at 16:48:38

Tony, I thought you said things get worse?