Season 2011-12

Prince Rupert's Spin

39 Comments: First  |  Last

Just read this on the Echo website,

"IN Saturday?s Echo we stated that Everton FC?s financial plight made the sale of Mikel Arteta necessary.

We understand from Everton this is not the case and Arteta was reluctantly allowed to leave because he expressly stated a desire to do so ? not because of any financial pressure upon the club, which would have been happy and able to keep him.

We apologise for giving the wrong impression on the matter." In this interview on YouTube: -

Arteta states he knew a few days before of Arsenal's interest.

Given that Prince Rupert has made the Echo apologise, can we take that as meaning most of us have got the wrong end of the stick and that Moyes will have all of that to spend come January?

I am not holding my breath.

Dave Randles, Ellesmere Port     Posted 06/09/2011 at 12:22:31

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Mat Smith
1   Posted 06/09/2011 at 14:39:34

I wouldn't hold your breath either!

It will just be another move from Kenwright trying to out all the blame on Arteta ? and make himself look all noble and good.

Chances are Arteta maybe wanted to move but would of been more then happy to stay and it was Kenwright who forced the sale through.

We all knew something would happen and as like many people said a big sale would be done right on the deadline making it look like Moyes didn't have chance to spend the cash, the board then come out and say money will be available in Jan (which I think we all know it won't) and the blame gets put on the player with the club saying it was him who wanted to leave!

It's just like one of BK's plays!... laughable!
Dan McKie
2   Posted 06/09/2011 at 14:42:18

I'm no fan of Kenwright, far from it, but people seem too quick to suggest things like "it will be Barkley or Fellaini in January, just watch". I really dont think that is the case though.

From what I have read/heard etc, we had a £25 million overdraft which was always at its limit and the bank asked the club to reduce it, which the £16 million or so from transfer fees will have done.

Secondly, the £80 million in, £85 million out problem should have been solved by the fact that the 4 players we no longer have were probably earning around £9 million pound a year basic between them. Some of that saving will have gone on the 2 new boys, but I certainly can't see Denis being on much in Premier League terms, and Drenthe was still on his first Real Madrid contract after being signed as a youngster, so again, wages are probably not that high.

So I don't see why Moyes wouldnt get some/all of the Arteta cash in January.

Ray Robinson
3   Posted 06/09/2011 at 14:45:01

The banks probably didn't force Everton to sell Arteta but there is very likely an agreement that states they get first call on any funds generated, so no, I don't think we'll get any funds to spend in January. I don't expect anything anymore.
Marcus Kendall
4   Posted 06/09/2011 at 14:55:47

I think Drenthe will be a massive hit for us personally, as for the Argentine striker I'd be surprised if he pulls up any trees. Here's hoping that we do okay to January and then use some of the money raised to bring in a striker (Maynard).
David Chait
5   Posted 06/09/2011 at 14:58:14

Yeah I haven't commented yet on any of the transfers really, but want to echo Marcus... I also think Drenthe is a massive coup. I believe he has grown, also we know Everton are a club that makes players feel part of a family. This we're told is something Roy looks for and has not felt for years. He has clearly much more potential than N'Zogbia and really should excite us more than it has I believe.

Only issue for me is the option to buy... if he has a great season he might be gone.

BTW anyone seen the pic of Strac in the Post holding his shirt.. wow.. is that his best shot!?!

Saw pics of Arteta in his Arsenal strip on their sight... so not cool. Looks so out of place.
Mat Smith
6   Posted 06/09/2011 at 14:59:29

Depending on the current league position in January I'd rather see Moyes save any money he has till the summer. If the two loan players have a good season, signing them up should be a priority then look at bringing in a couple of other new faces ? same kind of style: loan for a year with option to buy.

The only business in January should be looking at getting Landon back on loan. He said the only reason he didn't come last January was that he needed a break... so hopefully we might have a chance this time!

I'm hoping Denis will prove good ? I think he looks like the type of player that will fit in well in Moyes's 4-5-1 formation. And you don't become the top scorer in Argentine Primera División and get a hat trick against Boca by not knowing where the net is!
Tom Winek
7   Posted 06/09/2011 at 15:35:52

Didn't this Denis fella fail to impress Leicester on trial before he joined us? If so, I'm not expecting too much. Looking forward to seeing Drenthe though.
Max Fine
8   Posted 06/09/2011 at 15:52:28

@1: "Chances are Arteta maybe wanted to move but would've been more then happy to stay and it was Kenwright who forced the sale through."

Christ on a bike ? can some of you lot not hear yourselves sometimes??! Arteta has stated he wanted to go, he willingly gave an interview to say as much AND he handed in a written transfer request.
James Morgan
9   Posted 06/09/2011 at 15:55:58

Tom #7
I heard that also, but isn't it the same Sven at Leicester that persisted with Emile Heskey for England all those years?
Ian Kearney
10   Posted 06/09/2011 at 16:11:22

James, also the same Sven that discovered Montella, and coached Chiesa and Mancini in the best parts of their careers.

There's an awful lot of rubbish talked about Sven, he's had a superb career.
Michael Adamson
11   Posted 06/09/2011 at 16:34:21

David #5 I'm sure Drenthe is available on a free after this season?
Peter Laing
12   Posted 06/09/2011 at 17:16:07

The only thing that you should expect concerning Everton is that there is a march / peaceful demonstration planned for Saturday, if you have the Club's interests at heart I'll see you there.
Mark Rankin
13   Posted 06/09/2011 at 17:48:25

Or not... As the case maybe
Michael Brien
14   Posted 06/09/2011 at 18:45:27

Is such a march in the club's best interests? It is surely going to give Aston Villa a big boost to see signs of division. I am not saying simply "whistle a happy tune" ? but there is a time and a place for everything and personally I don't think a march, however peaceful, just before a match is a good idea.
Graham Fylde
15   Posted 06/09/2011 at 19:31:10

Twitter post from an Arsenal reserve player yesterday

'All the ressies just come in from training absolutely BUZZIN off Arteta... Said he was unreal! Can't wait to see him play now!'

Bet he wasn't practising dead ball routines!
Michael Mcloughlin
16   Posted 06/09/2011 at 19:33:19

Has anyone heard the rumour about J P McManus buying Everton?
Gavin Ramejkis
17   Posted 06/09/2011 at 19:50:05

Michael #14 just when would the right time be then? close3d season with no media attention, of a Sunday afternoon when no bugger is there? The right time is right now and to gain media attention, make sure more blues realise the discontent, if you chose not to join in then its your choice but if the fence sitters and reluctants can see and choose to join in then all the better. Any movement starts with just a few members but can grow.

Michael #16 - I'm pretty sure the McManus rumours (drop the McM for it's source) are complete bollocks, he's a well known RS to boot
Ciarán McGlone
18   Posted 06/09/2011 at 20:44:54

Yeah. We've all seen how Moyes likes to give in to players wishes. Er Lescott. What a crock of shit. Obviously Mick wanted to go. But to spin the nonsense that the club were not compliant, is laughable nonsense.
John Shaw
19   Posted 06/09/2011 at 20:55:25

Max (8) - Arteta did not hand in a written transfer request ! Also, if you listen to the Arteta interview very carefully, when Arteta tries to explain how much Kenwright loves the club, you will hear him say something like 'the Chairman spoke to me and said that he really really didn't want to sell me, but it was something that unfortunately had to be done', go figure !!!!!!!
Dominic Bobadilla
20   Posted 06/09/2011 at 21:24:51

Please, no J.P. McManus. He will turn us into Ryan Air.
Dick Fearon
21   Posted 06/09/2011 at 22:13:19

Tell you what, Those who want BK out please come up with a replacement.
Some will not be happy unless he is a died in the wool blue nose.
That begs the questions of what clubs did all these prem league billionaires support.
Kevin Gillen
22   Posted 06/09/2011 at 22:17:30

How much do you think we will spend in the January transfer window? I can't get excited about it any more. I've already gone blue in the face 6 times holding my breath through the transfer windows. We are a selling club and we're on our way to the Championship. I know Moyes will prove me wrong and we'll finish a respectable 14th. He will probably win Manager of the Year for doing so brilliantly "in the circumstances". In the words of Bill Kenwright "Wow!". Straquilarsi won't get a start ahead of the brilliant Anichebe and Drenthe isn't the sort of guy I would want next to me in the trenches. Buckle up it's gonna be a bumpy ride! And I don't want any of these Kev Gillen you are a moaner replies, blind optimism never won anyone anything.
John Shaw
23   Posted 06/09/2011 at 22:22:00

Dick (21) - A new owner does not need to be a 'Died in the wool Blue Nose' !

In my opinion, they just have to be a successful businessperson with a track record in running an organisation of the size and scope of EFC who would be dedicated to making us the best we can possibly be. They must also be capable of developing the business in order to gain ground on the other organisations in our 'sector' who are ahead of us, with the ultimate aim of eventually becoming the market leader !!

Who that person is? I don't know, but then I'm not paid to know or to find that person, that is the job of our Board !!!
Rob Hollis
24   Posted 06/09/2011 at 22:55:35

Kevin. Blind optimism is all that prevents suicide.
Max Fine
25   Posted 07/09/2011 at 03:26:45

John (19) - I think you'll find he did hand in a transfer request...

"The deal had looked dead after talks between the two clubs broke down but it was revived soon after Arteta handed in his transfer request an hour before the deadline."

Mick Davies
26   Posted 07/09/2011 at 03:24:17

Arteta was on a 5 year contract and Beckford 4, and the club has to be approached before the player. Therefore, why didnt the club do what they did for Neville in January and say NO? The message was clearly, YES, we are prepared to let them go. How can our players feel an affinity with the club when it allows it's best players to leave and brings in loanees who will probably only be here for one season, like Donovan, Ferrari, Jo, Gardner etc?
Eric Myles
27   Posted 07/09/2011 at 07:02:14

Another case of the Echo toeing the party line of the Club in order not to have their matchday programme contract cancelled.
Erik Dols
28   Posted 07/09/2011 at 08:30:38

I read about Drenthe being on a small contract at Madrid as he signed as a youngster. Guess again.

According to Dutch sources, Drenthe is on a ?60000/week contract. At current exchange rates that is about £53000 a week. If he plays well for us, he will be off to a team that offers at least the same wages and I'm afraid that we are not that team...
Philip Bunting
29   Posted 07/09/2011 at 11:04:28

The way I see it, I would like to think our overdraft would be wiped out and that our overall £45M dept would be greatly reduced. Looking at the figures from when Pienaar left to now and considering we are losing around £5M a year, our saving should be around the £33M mark!

Transfer Fees: Arteta £9M; Pienaar £2M; Yak £1.5M; Beckford £4.5M, Vaughan £2M... equating to approx £19M in sales... coupled with wages saved of approx: Arteta £75k/wk; Yak £40k/wk; Beckford £25k/wk; Yobo £35k/wk; Pienaar £40k/wk; Vaughan £20k/wk equating to £13.66M/year in wages. Add these two together, it comes to £32.6M in saving if based over the year as I can't see any signings in January.

Is Bill maybe reducing the dept and therfore increasing the value of the club, knowing his days are numbered? And a sale within the year imminent?.... I can dream but next year's figures will be interesting as we surely cant be losing money.... Time will tell but the next year looks very interesting to say the least.

Michael Brien
30   Posted 07/09/2011 at 14:28:37

Gavin 17# ? Is the right time just before a match? Do you think it's going to do the players any good? Do you think that it will give Villa a boost? I think that it will. Manchester United fans have made clear their views regarding the Glazers. I don't think that opposition started with a march/demonstration ? wasn't it with their fans wearing green/yellow scarves, their original colours?
Anthony Flack
31   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:17:16

Gavin (17) if the point of the protest march is just to make people aware, which people do you think are not aware already and of those not aware i.e. the wider press and Villa, who cares.... - the board and club know the position and the unrest.

I recognise I will not prevail on this one and things have to start somewhere, so why not march. But I am 100% certain that at least in the short term the affect will be negative and unpleasant for Everton and Evertonians.

So march, make people aware, then ????

The truth is it is very difficult to see a way forward, if it was easy then it would have been taken. I am therefore potentially condemned as apathetic by doing nothing, and others advocating more direct action are arguably a little aimless?

I hope it goes well and there is no hassle.

Most of all I hope we beat Villa.
Dave Randles
32   Posted 07/09/2011 at 17:53:55

Anthony #31

Therein lies the problem. Two seeming polar views, with those being 1 - We will be okay, we always are or 2 (and my view) wait and see what happens and we WILL get relegated. Maybe not this year, and at a push not next. But the year after????

Without halting or even reversing the reduction of an ever-decreasing squad size, we will be in real trouble. So, my view is that we may as well do something now because as things stand, the only way is down.

So I understand what you are saying but the effect on Everton and Evertonians if we do nothing will be just as bad! While it may seem like a relatively small protest at the moment I am certain that it will gather momentum week by week and if the end result is merely BK naming his price, well that's a major achievement.
Michael Brien
33   Posted 07/09/2011 at 18:18:04

Dave #32 ? As I asked earlier, is a march the only way to do this? The opposition of the Man United fans to the Glazers began with the wearing of the green/yellow scarves didn't it? In Italy I think the opposition to the political status quo of Mr Berlusconi made their view known by the wearing of the colour purple.
Michael Brien
34   Posted 07/09/2011 at 18:23:42

Or even is a march !!! But I thought the Italian idea was a good one: people showed their opposition to the government by simply wearing purple, it got the point across.
Anthony Flack
35   Posted 07/09/2011 at 18:45:54

Or you could wear red - (Michael 33) - sorry only joking - re. your other post yep I see what you mean
Dave Randles
36   Posted 07/09/2011 at 20:30:42

# 33 Michael - No mate and I am not sure of the best way, I don't have much experience in protesting to be honest! Anything that is peaceful and respectful of the views of others is a good start by my reckoning.

The method and means of deciding on what form the protest should take was a show of hands at the Casa, there was no real science involved - but I am sure over the coming weeks & months other initiatives will be considered.
John Shaw
37   Posted 07/09/2011 at 22:03:15

Max (25) - Arteta did not submit a written transfer request, which is what you originally stated. Everton laughed at the first offer from the Arse, believed to have been £5 million, however, Arse came back in with an improved offer which was also short but, crucially, Everton continued to negotiate with them, now that doesn't seem to me to be the actions of a club NOT wanting to part with a 'star' player!

I have also read in an article since the deal was done that to prevent EFC having to pay a sizable chunk of the fee to Arteta for selling him against his wishes, on top of the slice for Sociedad, which would have left us with a very much reduced fee, it was agreed that Mikky, who is clearly not motivated solely by money, would be reported as asking to speak to Arsenal to agree a move; however, he DID NOT put in a written transfer request!!

Stephen Miller
38   Posted 07/09/2011 at 22:24:30

@ Kevin Gillen:

I'm a toffee, I don't have much more than blind optimism... thanks Bill.
Mick Davies
39   Posted 08/09/2011 at 16:01:58

Just found this http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/518243777?-11192 think it covers the issue really well