Season 2011-12

11th time lucky

28 Comments: First  |  Last

Thank god the Premier League will soon be back up and running ? I can't get passionate about Ashley Cole and Young falling over and moaning constantly, then checking on our players and hoping for no injuries/niggles ? of which we have had 3.

Anyway, Saturday is a massive game: we need to get a win for the players to believe that they are better without Arteta. When Rooney, left we went on a winning streak and that bred confidence for the rest of the season; let's hope that's repeated.

Going into the Villa game though, we need to get over our bogey team; we haven't beaten them in our last 10 games!! In the last few seasons, I have been at the game where Lescott scored late on only for Young to win it even later. And last season, when Villa were awful and there for the taking, we scraped a draw through a Baines penalty. Why? they are Villa and a poor team, I just can't understand this run against them.

I believe that if we win, the confidence will be very high and this squad and young midfield can go forwards and push on for the rest of the season; if we have a defeat, we may be in for a tough September-October with City and Liverpool to play...

Andrew Fair, Ashton,Northamptonshire     Posted 07/09/2011 at 10:09:55

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Chris Keightley
1   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:12:24

Bent, Nzogbia, Agbonlahor = defeat, unfortunately. I can see them scoring early and we will huff and puff without an end product - another of Moyes's "we were the better side, they rode their luck" etc etc.
Andrew Fair
2   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:26:24

Lets hope not. Bent is hopefully injured and Agbonlahor is very overrated, yes Nzogbia can rip us to shreds as he did last season. I just see Arteta leaving as a chance for Moyes to play positive football.
Erik Dols
3   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:27:52

It will be a draw, we will beat City as usual and the RS, well that game can go either way really.
Jimmy Hacking
4   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:32:54

I have never fallen for this hokum about bogey teams and the like, there is no excuse for not beating a mediocre Aston Villa at Goodison.

Chris #3: Bent is a good goal poacher but I'd prefer a fit Saha over him any day, Abonglahor is perennially on the verge of having that elusive good season he keeps promising. N'zogbia is a decent winger, but he's hardly world-class. come on, are you really terrified of those three?

This Villa side are going nowhere under Mcleish, I'd be surprised if we didn't finish at least 5 places above them. COYB
Chris Ashton
5   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:33:58

I think we are in for a few suprises this season now. We have what we wanted in Drenthe and Denis, two new players. I agree with another thread that Fellaini can be unleashed without Arteta and if our young players can progress this season then all we are lacking right now is a goal scorer. If Denis can put a few in the net then a few more draws could be wins this year!

I'm wondering what the odds are on a 2-0 victory, with osman first goalscorer and jenas first booking!
Danny Burke
6   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:34:13

It is a big game already in the season and a bad result now we are without Arteta could knock the players, a good one however may show them we can go on a good run without him, a la Rooney.

On a side note, everyone mentions Randy Learner as an ideal example of a chairman, and yes he has "invested" in the team, but, I watched England last night, and 5 of the starting 11, Young, Downing, Barry, Cahill, Milner have all been sold under his regime. Almost makes me grateful for Kenwright (sarcasm!)
Franny Porter
7   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:41:57

According to an interview on ICLiverpool.com, Roy Ricky Boy Drenthe says he won't be playing til the Wigan game.

So thats him out, Baines, Cahill, Gueye, Coleman, Saha and I suppose Arteta, Yobo, Beckford and Yakubu.

I'm bringing my boots.....
Erik Dols
8   Posted 07/09/2011 at 15:52:04

I've heard that young Dixie Dean bloke won't be playing either, Franny.
Rory Slingo
9   Posted 07/09/2011 at 18:43:59

#4 Jimmy, let's hope they finish 6th!
Neil Pickering
10   Posted 07/09/2011 at 18:43:18

Lets try and be positive people! We have been crying out for a player like Drenthe for about 3 years, and if the Argie lad shows a bit of fight and agression then i dont care what anyone says; he's already better than Anichebe in my book. Im not normally this positive myself, but i just get the felling that this sort of situation suits the players. Backs to the wall they usually respond. Its the have's vs the have nots seen as we are officially the poorest team in the league, so lets have a bit of a siege mentality about us; i think we all might be pleasantly suprised this season. My own expectations couldnt be any lower, so bring on the Villa and pressure and expectation free football! COYB
Steve Mink
11   Posted 07/09/2011 at 18:56:05

Neil #10

Agree absolutely,
Neil Pickering
12   Posted 07/09/2011 at 18:58:23

Drenthe is a top class player make no mistake, and he has a point to prove. They are always the best type to get in. Same goes for the Argie lad regarding having a point to prove. He is young and hungry. Probably been on peanuts in Argentina and this could be his only chance. Never underestimate hunger in a player; quite often it can take you futher than raw ability! Phil Neville is a prime example!
Anthony Jones
13   Posted 07/09/2011 at 21:11:27

I hope you are right about Drenthe Neil. As I remember, Shandy Andy was quite a coup and had a point to prove...
David Chait
14   Posted 07/09/2011 at 21:18:52

Don't worry about nzogbia.. well a little.. but Young was the one causing us problems last few years.. so yes they have Nzog.. but they lost Young.. so they are worse off.

We should have creamed them last year and contrived to miss more than a hatfull of chances.... not saying we will.. but no reason to fear them.. or not beat them.
Dave Lynch
15   Posted 07/09/2011 at 21:17:29

Neil @12.

A lot of players have come to us with a point to prove.
Johnson,Beattie, VDM, to name but a few.

Only for Moyes to play them everywhere but their natural position, i'm not holding my breath with regards both of em being given a fair crack of the whip.
Conor Skelly
16   Posted 07/09/2011 at 22:07:20

Dave@ 15.

We bought both Beattie and AJ at the height of their careers so it's quite the opposite to Drenthe. Comparisons can be drawn between them two & Denis as far as, he too is at the peak of his powers but the jump in class for him is far greater and puts him back into the "point to prove" bracket/mentality.

Drenthe and Denis both, IMO, have a healthy point to prove, unlike VDM who had a 'mental mountain' to climb.

Dave Lynch
17   Posted 07/09/2011 at 22:50:31

Conor,

My point is.... Will Moyes allow them to prove a point?

I can see both of them being played out of position and getting pissed off with his negative hoofball tactics.

History has proven he likes utillity players, I only hope to god he plays these lads in their preferred positions.

Laurie Hartley
18   Posted 08/09/2011 at 03:21:23

Dave,

I honestly can't see Moyes playing Denis anywhere except as a striker ? but you never know! Drenthe maybe (please not left back!). I hope they both start.

COTB
Karl Meighan
19   Posted 08/09/2011 at 09:53:11

I hope both the new boys make a impression, but i only hope we get a chance to see them for the last 15 mins saturday with being 3 goals up.

If there not fit and Drenthe hasn't played any pre season i would be suprised to see them from the start and it would be to much of a gamble to just throw them in this early in the season imo.
Mark Yeomans
20   Posted 08/09/2011 at 12:17:58

This is what really frustrates me about Moyes in that I have a horrible feeling we wont see Denis or Roy at all on Saturday.

Ok they might not be fit but if they are I really cannot fathom why they shouldn't start????!!!!

This club needs a serious shot in the arm after the window and just the presence of these 2 from the off will make a huge psychological difference

1) The crowd will be buzzing looking forward to seeing what they are about
2) The rest of the team will be galvanised by hearing the crowd as explained in 1 meaning greater speed and urgency
3) Just a few moments of skill from Roy or a near miss from Denis will keep the noise up everytime they get the ball during the game
3) The opposition will be aware of this "buzz" and will possibly be intimidated.

All in all this adds up to a positive injection and we cannot afford to lose to Villa as the feeling of gloom will only deepen if we do.

In my opinion it's an absolute no brainer (if fit) but I just know Moyes wont see it in the same way. I'm fully expectant to see neither of them bar a 10 minute cameo with the game nearly over.

Anyone else agree ?
Tom Winek
21   Posted 08/09/2011 at 13:08:54

What's the point in them playing from the start if they're not fit? A cameo if we're winning handsomely or a late substitution to lift the team if we're losing or if it's tight is more realistic.

On another note, i'm sure if Moyes had a bottomless pit of cash he'd be a bit more adventurous with his transfer targets but as it is we're the poorest team in the PL with the smallest squad. Versatile players are what we need at the moment, especially with the state of the squad coming into this weekend's game.
Tony J Williams
22   Posted 08/09/2011 at 13:10:40

We won't see Roy because he won't be anywhere near match fitnesses and if Saha is fit, of course he will play.

If Cahill is injured still, I would imagine Bily being played behind the striker...his actual preferred position.
Tony J Williams
23   Posted 08/09/2011 at 13:18:31

Dave 15, Meattie and AJ had nothing at all to prove and how is playing Meattie and AJ up front, not in their correct position? Also how is playing the winger Shandy Andy, when he could get his fat arse out of the pub, on the wing playing him out of position?
Tom Bowers
24   Posted 08/09/2011 at 15:46:46

We haven't seen a lot to enthuse about so far and with all the injuries and departures we can be excused for no feeling confident about the Villa game.
However let's not write off our chances just yet.
The way I see it is that defensively we need to improve greatly especially after the Blackburn game when they were all over the place. If they do get their act together then hopefully the offence no matter who plays will produce the goods.
Villa have been somewhat of a bogey team in the last few years but that should not have any bearing on the next game as there are many newer players on view.
Hopefully Moyes can motivate the squad into getting a solid showing so that we can look forward to some of the big guns we have to face over the coming weeks.
Al Reddish
25   Posted 08/09/2011 at 18:42:31

I think we may see Osman behind the striker with Bily on the wing.....what a massive opportunity for him Rodwell and Barkley to stake their claim. I hope they all take it
Dave Lynch
26   Posted 08/09/2011 at 19:21:52

Tony.
Stop being pedantic, you know what i was getting at.
For the record he turned Johnson into a channel runner, maybe Bily would have been a better example as well as Cahill and Rodwell.
For the record, who the fuck is Meattie.
James Flynn
27   Posted 09/09/2011 at 02:18:26

Fuck Villa. A horseshit organization on the way down.

COYB.
Jimmy Sorheim
28   Posted 09/09/2011 at 14:38:26

Can't belive you are positive at all. We just lost Arteta and Beckford and we have so far played like shit. Both games against QPR and Blackburn were piss poor and if you expect something different then you will be disappointed.

I get you want to be positive before a match but hello, we have been beaten before by Villa and they have Darren Bent who is lethal while we have a unproven Straq and an unfit Saha. Holy testicle Tuesday, that is hardly nothing to be positive about.

Even if I in theory were to agree with all of you, Moyes will somehow fuck it up, as he did last season, and the start of this also. Anichebe is not missed by anyone here, gee I wonder why that is Moyes!!!