Season 2011-12

Protest helping our team?

27 Comments: First  |  Last

As I read Moyes pre-match comments on Sky Sports I started thinking, can this protest help the players in any way, or form?

Yes, it will be good for the fans to get it off their chest before the match. Also it could boost the vocal chords of the fans so that they will be all warm and fussy when the game starts. If there is to become something negative it will be because of players doing badly and the fans reacting more negative than usual to it.

Moyes himself said this to Sky sports:about the protest: "It is not for a lack of trying. Maybe tomorrow, strangely enough, it might make the supporters more vocal to help us"

Now I feel the need to adress the fans that claim it will destroy the players confidence if the protest goes as planned.

Why would you think that a protest march would affect the players performance? The only way the players could be influenced are if the fans or Blue Union start protesting INSIDE Goodison. I dont think that will happen merely because there is a different mindset taking over when a game starts, one of positve and hopeful expectations.

My point here with this post is to try and get all Everton supporters on the same page so that when the game starts against Aston Villa the only focus will be about cheering the team along and to get us the 3 points we so clearly need right now.

Now, if we can stand together during games the protest group efforts will not be a problem for the team during games.

I am not for protesting regularly and I firmly belive that if it does continue beyond christmas the team and the players will be affected by it. So my message to Blue Union is this: Get your points across and when you are done, give it up for a while if nothing happens then you can resume it. But I feel that Bill Kenwright has started to take the point.

I am not against anyone here, I am only for the team and the players so if you all can agree to do things civil and then give it a rest then I think Everton Football club will benefit from this.

So let us all agree and stand together, and not call each other bad names like "kopite" and argue with other Evertonians.

I hope we win against Villa and with every fan behind the team then we have a good chance. Maybe this can spur us on a bit as it did when Rooney was sold... Here's hoping.
Jimmy Sorheim, Stavanger, Norway     Posted 09/09/2011 at 20:26:42

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Mike Hargreaves
1   Posted 10/09/2011 at 00:39:18

Whatever your thoughts of EFC, if you joined the march, hate BK , hate DM, hate everybody, just love your team. Get off your seats and cheer. COYB
Tony X Williams
2   Posted 10/09/2011 at 05:05:02

well said Jimmy lad
Steve Sweeney
3   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:18:16

This is a quote from Moyes
"In the 10 years I have been here we have finished in the top 10 seven times. Now if people actually think Everton should be doing much better than that, they need to look at things."
This looks like a quote from a man who is resigned to and accepts mediocrity.Well as a BLUE who loves his club I will not accept it.That is why I want RED BILL and his cohorts removed from the running of the club I love,
Kenwright is a joke we have got to force him out.
Imagine the Glaziers or even Hicks or Gillette not knowing where £24,000,000.00 was going.
I will be there at 2. Support the Kenwright out movement
Dick Anderson
4   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:47:08

Protesting because your favourite football team doesn't have any money????????

Whiny Little Bitches.

Your Grandads fought a war!!!!!!

If you get this upset because your favourite football team doesn't buy enough players for you, I'd hate to see what happened if something really bad happened to you all.

Whiny Little Bitches.
Steve Sweeney
5   Posted 10/09/2011 at 10:24:21

Dick your surname should be HEAD
James Morgan
6   Posted 10/09/2011 at 11:04:58

Dick, you just lie there spread your cheeks and accept what Bill gives ya.
Dick Anderson
7   Posted 10/09/2011 at 11:47:39

James Morgan I dont have time to just lie here. I have real problems to deal with. Real life situations.

I simply dont have the time to protest that my football team doesn't buy enough players.

Frankly I would be embarrased to do such a thing.

Can you imagine if a country in Africa saw us protesting because our football team doesn't buy enough new players????

I mean they got disease, famine, cival rights issues, mass murderers.

And here you all are protesting because Everton sold Pienaar in January and that money hasn't been used on new players.

WHINY LITTLE BITCHES.
Andrew Laird
8   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:02:45

Dick, I wonder about you real life issues and the amount of time you do not have. Why post an obviously contentious post which would attract criticism/ different opinions if you dont have time to respond?

From what I can make out there is only one "whiny bitch" on this thread, I will understand if you cant find the time to reply.
Ian Kearney
9   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:08:16

Nothing like a bit of perspective, grow up Dick.
James Morgan
10   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:04:58

Dick, if you think the protest is all about because we lost Pienaar then you might want to do a bit more research.
Protests happen across the world all the time for many different reasons, those at the march have my full support as they are trying to highlight the failures of the current board and move the club forward.
If you want to concern yourself more with hugging trees and saving the Panda then that's your choice, I however, am more interested in seeing Everton make strides to at least compete again.
Ryan Holroyd
11   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:19:14

If you dont have time then why post on here Dick, prick.
Kieran Kinsella
12   Posted 10/09/2011 at 13:01:04

I am pretty sure Dick is a plant based on his history of posts. He is either Doddy or Ian Ross
Max Fine
13   Posted 10/09/2011 at 13:33:31

a unique case, and we do not deserve special treatment.

Now is Bill going to sing from the rooftops that turnover is spent in this way? Don't be ridiculous... And should we vilify any of the board for not investing any of their personal wealth? Well I have shares and were I asked by those companies to put my own personal wealth in on top I'd tell them to f**k off.

So what is it we're asking for? More transparency? Less bullshit? Well here it is: Nobody wants to buy us because our shit ground doesn't make a profit on matchday, not even our own fans (let alone those abroad) buy our merchendise, we have a far more succesful team across the park and we are up to our eyeballs in debt. Debt accrued through years of clinging on to our top-flight status dating back to before Kenwright joined us.

Should Bill just "give" the club to a rich business headed tycoon able to turn things round in a season or two, invest in the team, invest in the ground and get us competing with the likes of the top 4? Yes? So what does he say to all the people who initially backed his takeover bid and invested in shares? "Sorry you've lost a small personal fortune lads - I've also lost me 'ouse now - but it's for the good of the club, and the fans love us".

Until we are taken over by the bank (as in Liverpools case) and sold at a massively undervalued price to someone who can ably manage the debt, this isn't going to happen. And if I'm not mistaken, Hicks and Co. are still appealing that decision even now...

At the end of the day, the point I hope Dick was trying to make was that we're not Kinwright "apologists", we're REALISTS. Yeah our Bill's full of shit and spin but he's far from being unique there. Making him the scapegoat and effigy of everything that's frustrating about our current predicament isn't going to change a thing. And some of us would like concentrate on supporting our players side instead of banging the same old drum over and over again. I agree with Jimmy in that this should be a one time thing - get your point across and shut up about it for a while. PLEASE.
Max Fine
14   Posted 10/09/2011 at 13:34:23

I'm not going to jump to Dick's defence as I think he could have made his point without being so obviously inflammatory (although with the replies most of you haven't covered yourself in glory either...)

BUT he has a point. About the pointlessness of this "protest" I mean. Not the famine / whiny bitches analogy.

For those of us being lazily accused by the banner waving unionists of believing in Bill's bullshit... of course we don't. But by the same sentiment, we don't think he's some kind of evil Gaddafi-esque dictator. He's a luvvy, an old-school chairman who sugar-coats the truth and tells EVERYBODY what they want to hear. He's not done a great job of propelling us into a well-oiled Arsenal-like corporate machine, but are we really in our right minds to be upset that he hasn't?

Arsenal have seen £500million worth of investment to see them where they are today - investment that was borne out of them having a London base, being a globally recognised brand and by having recent success in the premier league.

Look at the way EVERY club is run, apart from 5 or 6 in the premier league and it's the same story. Directors are invited onto the board, they lend short term high rate loans to the club (usually through their businesses) and see phenomenal returns. This is most likely the "other operating costs" in the accounts. As banks don't lend millions to businesses that never make a profit, this is unfortunately how things are done. We are not a unique case, and we do not deserve special treatment.

Now is Bill going to sing from the rooftops that turnover is spent in this way? Don't be ridiculous... And should we vilify any of the board for not investing any of their personal wealth? Well I have shares and were I asked by those companies to put my own personal wealth in on top I'd tell them to fuck off.

Should Bill just "give" the club to a rich business headed tycoon able to turn things round in a season or two, invest in the team, invest in the ground and get us competing with the likes of the top 4? Yes? So what does he say to all the people who initially backed his takeover bid and invested in shares? "Sorry you've lost a small personal fortune lads ? I've also lost me 'ouse now ? but it's for the good of the club, and the fans love us".

Until we are taken over by the bank (as in Liverpool's case) and sold at a massively undervalued price to someone who can ably manage the debt, this isn't going to happen. And if I'm not mistaken, Hicks and Co are still appealing that decision even now...

At the end of the day, the point I hope Dick was trying to make was that we're not Kenwright "apologists", we're REALISTS. Yeah, our Bill's full of shit and spin but he's far from being unique there. Making him the scapegoat and effigy of everything that's frustrating about our current predicament isn't going to change a thing. And some of us would like to concentrate on supporting our players side instead of banging the same old drum over and over again. I agree with Jimmy in that this should be a one-time thing ? get your point across and shut up about it for a while. PLEASE.
Tony Gee
15   Posted 10/09/2011 at 13:30:58

(5) Steve...
Simple but beautiful mate.... Well done.

It is with regret I won't be at the march as I have chosen to boycott goodison until the Bill and his cronies have been unseated..
And let me tell ya, that was not an easy decision from somebody who has attended 1000+ matches since a kid..
I wish the Blue Union all the very best today...

Dick, it's about lot more than money you nugget. Its about pride, broken promises, ambition, honour... You just don't get it.
Shaun Sparke
16   Posted 10/09/2011 at 13:33:04

Dick you don?t really deserve a response based solely on the lack of respect that you show for your fellow Everonians who don?t share the same view as yourself. However, you cannot be allowed to get away with such abuse. Your argument that there are far more things in the world to worry about such as famine, is such a strange one to use. If you are saying that fans should not be allowed to protest as they should be more concerned about famine and other world matters then I take it from this that you give a sizeable amount of your monthly wage to support the red cross and charitable organisations. And by that I mean in excess of half of your take home pay. Oh you don?t? I thought not. So please don?t lecture the rest of us on what we should be worrying about.
Kevin Naylor
17   Posted 10/09/2011 at 14:13:36

I heard this morning that our Club Captain refused to take a leaflet off BU yesterday at Finch Farm; this added to his already fan distancing comments has really annoyed me.

Could it be he realises he's got a pretty cushy number and despite his lack of ability knows Moyes will keep picking him week-in, week-out so doesn't want to rock the boat?

Personally, I think he wouldn't get in Wigan's team at present so why he's good enough for us, only Moyes can tell you that.

Ged Alexander
18   Posted 10/09/2011 at 14:14:42

Robert Elstone is a Rugby League man who lives in Manchester; he is a career man and there's a job going at money-bags City.

Please, Robert: Go. You are part of the problem.

James Brand
19   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:03:28

To be fair dick had me in stitches on the transfer forum on deadline day, so I'll allow him some leeway! Comedian...still laughing at "the Strac" gags!
Stuart Mitchell
20   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:35:47

No Wonder Toffeeweb has a reputation of being full of moaners.

Fair play to everyone that stood up and cheered Bill Kenwright today.

So what, we do not have lots of cash. No reason to turn on our club.

It is actually just a very small minority of so called fans protesting.

Max Fine
21   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:21:08

Kevin - I am astonished at the arrogance of suggesting Neville should feel dutifully bound to take a leaflet off the BU. Why should he? Maybe as a direct employee he is more enlightened as to the board's competance than you or I. Or maybe (even more likely) he is too respectful of his employees to consider reacting to such an obvious publicity stunt.

This forceful hand waving, fingers in ears, shout as loud as you can, hear but never listen, unionist behaviour is what ostracises fans like myself from the BU's cause.
Andrew Laird
22   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:48:54

"So what, we do not have lots of cash. No reason to turn on our club.

It is actually just a very small minority of so called fans protesting."

Stuart, I believe you have missed the point. It's lack of answers to WHY (through complete mismanagement) we dont have any money which grates, the fact that we are constantly fed LIES and the overriding sense of NO PLAN for the future to rectify that problem. Dont get confused.
Wayne Berson
23   Posted 10/09/2011 at 21:41:24

a. Phil Neville is entitled to an opinion as much as the rest of us. He can refuse to take leaflets if he wants; actually perhaps he's more enlightened than most and as such has a good reason for not taking the leaflet?

b. the march was a damp squib; a few people half-heartedly singing down Goodison Road. Few even lifted their head up from their curry sauce and chips...

I'm not clever enough to know who is right in all of this; but I'm observant enough to have noticed that there were more pro-Kenwright / not arsed than BU at the game today......
Alex Kociuba
24   Posted 11/09/2011 at 12:35:52

Wayne, its not about being right or wrong - black or white. Its about seeking real answers to the ongoing mismanagement of the club and the best solution going forward. The protest was about having a voice and getting some media attention... perhaps even shake the 'not arsed' category of people into doing some research into the dire state of affairs at Goodison.

The majority isn't always correct!

Jimmy Sorheim
25   Posted 11/09/2011 at 13:34:31

I feel that the focus of the club has shifted from a fans point of view from simply cheering to getting too involved with every detail of the club. I have found out that I do not have the stamina to go that far into things, because I mainly like to focus on the playing side of football. Like yesterday when we played 4451 again at home against a team we should beat to be honest. Now I find that even the football playing side of Everton is getting frustrating and difficult, when it really should be easy, especially at home we should be aiming to attack,attack, attack, what happens is that we get a goal end then give up, until they score or the final whistle goes. It is too passive for me, I do not approve and therefore I do not approve of Moyes tactics at home.
I wonder how much longer we will have to live with this, when will he go? I think the time has come for a change, as his statement that we only want to survive relegation is the opposite of what Kenwright has said. They are headed for different directions and that isnt good. I agree with Kenwright in that we are a good side and that we can still achive things. Winning a cup is our next step.
Michael Brien
26   Posted 11/09/2011 at 14:06:27

It is surely rather narrow minded to say the least to think that if you didn't join the march/demonstration then you are either supporting the board or are sitting on the fence.

It's also unfair to criticise the players who may or may not accept a leaflet - they are employess of the club and therefore are in a rather difficult position. Criticising how a club is run may get Joey Barton some publicity but it didn't win him universal respect did it ?If players criticise how Everton is run - then there are those who will say they should be grateful to be paid so much - if they don't then they get some who will accuse them of not caring !

I don't like to give praise to Manchester United fans - however they started showing their opposition to the Glazers by wearing green/yellow scarves or football shirts - their original colours. In Italy opposition to Burlesconi's government " voiced" their opposition by simply wearing the colour purple - shirts/ties/hats/dresses/ blouses whatever - it was a way of showing the strength of opposition.

I don't think a march was a good idea - I think it gave Villa a boost - I just don't think that such a distraction before a match is good for the players. There are other ways of showing opposition.And I also don't think much of the vitriolic nature of some of the anti Kenwright comments. If the only way of getting across your point is by being abusive then in my opinion you have a poor point of view .
Danny Broderick