Season 2011-12

Just imagine... serious question

6 Comments: First  |  Last

Addressing the central issue of whether Kenwright has either the capability, or the inclination, to find a serious buyer or investor in this great club of ours, I would like to pose a hypothetical question........ if you were lucky (or hard working) enough to have amassed a couple of billion quid, what would you want to hear from Kenwright to convince you Everton FC were worth investing in or buying?

Or, to put it another way, what would you look to realistically achieve from that investment of your hard earned, in the current economic and football climate?

I ask this as a question, irrespective of which side of the 'Kenwright' fence you are ? or, if like me ? you are still sat on it... and in the hope it may prompt some serious response and further debate.

I've supported this love of mine since 1966 and, although we have had considerably more depressing phases in our history, I doubt we have had any more interesting, or more challenging. There are so many external factors now affecting our position as a club ? mainly of an economical and commercial nature, and not necessarily within our control.

Right on cue ? watching the early stages of the Fulham v Blackburn match on Sky ? and comment has just been made regarding the Blackburn manager's meeting yesterday with the owners of the club. nothing special about that except he had to fly to India for the meeting and then fly straight back ready for this Sunday televised game.

Anyway, I thought the question interesting enough to ask. I await the variety of responses that will hopefully follow.

Jim Burns, West Yorks     Posted 11/09/2011 at 16:04:56

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Nick Entwistle
1   Posted 11/09/2011 at 18:11:06

I live 5 minutes from Billionaire's Row in West London, home to numerous men connected to football clubs, but also Leonard Blavatnik, a man who as of yet is not.
I'd love to put the replies to this post in a letter and pop it into his letter box.
Only problem which of his three £100m+ pads to choose from.
Dennis Stevens
2   Posted 11/09/2011 at 18:39:01

I'd want to hear Kenwright & his cronies say they'll sell their shares for no more than they paid for them, as they don't expect to make a profit from their poor performance as Board members. Then I'd want to hear him say "Thanks for the cheque." & "Goodbye"!
John Salmon
3   Posted 11/09/2011 at 18:29:56

Jim, just like you, I am on the fence on the BK issue. I feel he has the best interest of the club at heart, but the people who are employed by him, and in this case I refer to the people at the ticket office and also those that run the IT systems, neither are customer friendly, and hence one season ticket holder less.

I am certainly not the only one, if BK happens to read this (very unlikely) as he has not replied to any of my letters so far, and the reason for this is that he is too busy searching for an investor, here's hoping that he is successful, and that he also buys a lottery ticket, in preferably the euro millions one. The club needs an overhaul from those at the front desk to the shareholders, they all need to look at themselves and ask, "Am I doing the best for Everton?" As for BK, the fence is becoming uncomfortable.

Steve Sweeney
4   Posted 11/09/2011 at 19:58:33

I would want to know what the operating costs of
£24M were and also what is the total debt and who has the Mortgages,
I would want to know how much he would want for his shares.
as soon as he mentioned a figure over £20M
I would walk away.
If the reports of the asking price being £100M then indeed he is living in cloud cookoo land.
Why why will he not state the price he wants for the club??
Jim Lloyd
5   Posted 12/09/2011 at 00:21:41

If I were to be involved in advising someone about buying our club, the fist thing I would advise is "On no account take any notice of that lying charlatan called Kenwright."
Dan Roy
6   Posted 12/09/2011 at 00:40:23

1. What is the real stadium situation -- that is, how much would Goodison's redevelopment cost and what are the realistic alternatives?
2. Are the club's most valuable assets (Baines, Fellaini, Barkley, and Moyes) secured long-term?
3. How much quality is coming through the youth system?