Season 2011-12

Borderline insanity

41 Comments: First  |  Last

Just woke up here in the land of morning sunshine and gave the BBC sport page a quick glance. I had a milli second's worth of excitement and my heart almost skipped a beat when i saw in the corner of my eye the words "Kenwright and Everton" in the title of a news article.

Desperately hoping that something had arisen regarding the sale of the club, I looked closer and read on further. Alas my dreams and hopes of an article about the sale of the club were not so much dashed as thrown to the gutter and kicked to a bloody pulp as I continued to read...

Our luvvy duvvy wonderfully thoughtful chairman has decided to refund in full all those who bought Mikel Arteta or Jermaine Beckford shirts for this season. Has he lost his mind completely all together? Is this really a genuine attempt to cool the fire that is burning beneath him right now?

This is the apology?? How about an open and frank statement to the fans as to why those players were sold so hastily on the last day of the transfer window, with no time or intention to spend the funds on rebuilding the squad? No. No chance. No chance of that at all.....

The original article can be found on the BBC, where it is worth noting that they mention the "small section of fans that have become disgruntled with the way the club is being run". Are the sports journalists their totally and utterly blind and ignorant to the problems that have destroyed Everton slowly and consistently for the last 10 years? I personally would like a ballot carried out before / during today's game.

A simple tick box for Yes or No on every match ticket to ascertain whether the fans would like to see a new owner installed , would I'm sure make a mockery of the assumption that a "small section of fans" are unhappy. If the BBC, by its nature must report facts and facts only, at least get them right.
Peter Laverty, Busa, S. Korea     Posted 17/09/2011 at 02:30:07

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Alan Clarke
1   Posted 17/09/2011 at 07:07:25

The timing of it stinks too. It was announced late afternoon / evening before a game. They'll show his ugly mug on the screen again and he'll get another round of applause because of this kind gesture.

He can't run this club on spin and PR alone. I just hope more and more will start to see through it. I note as well you can only get a refund with a receipt despite the fact you can only buy an Everton shirt at the official club shops.
Ian McDowell
2   Posted 17/09/2011 at 07:35:42

It's a nice gesture to refund those with players names on the shirt who left on deadline day. I can't help thinking there won't be too many Yakubu and Beckfords being refunded though.
Howard Don
3   Posted 17/09/2011 at 07:43:23

More negative cynicism, refunding the shirts was the obvious, decent thing to do. I'm sure I remember other clubs doing it in similar circumstances. No doubt you'd have castigated BK if he hadn't done it - a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Antony Matthews
4   Posted 17/09/2011 at 08:05:19

Can I have a refund too? My son and daughter bought me a shirt last year with my age on the back. Does anyone wear the number 50 on the back? Im 51 now!
Seriously if your going to have a players name on the back of your shirt it usually lasts 12 months anyway before they fetch out another design. Thats if the player doesnt get sold in January!
Ray Roche
5   Posted 17/09/2011 at 08:13:03

Antony Matthews

Antony,
I'd sack your son and daughter if I were you.They should have seen that coming,although you should shoulder some of the blame. I bet you'll want to be 52 next...
Simon Harris
6   Posted 17/09/2011 at 08:11:35

It's a great PR stunt.

I certainly didn't see it as an 'obvious' thing to do. Not sure if the club refunded Rooney merchandise when he broke our hearts?

At least he's set a precedent for future sales. Get your Fellaini, Baines and Barkley shirts.
Karl Meighan
7   Posted 17/09/2011 at 08:21:05

Hasn't Moyes already explained it was him who sold the players? Ime no lover of Kenwright but cannot fault him for giving refunds.

Moyes told Arteta he would get him a team to challenge for Champions League places plus Arteta probably saw the deal as his last chance to play on the big stage. Beckford got a bit of a raw deal imo but from early on it was fairly obvious Moyes didn't trust him or rate him as a footballer. If we would have had to pay a fee for Beckford its likely he would have gone elsewhere.
Kevin Hudson
8   Posted 17/09/2011 at 08:38:27

How is it "borderline insanity..?"

The club are offering refunds. This surely is a good thing. Good PR sure, but STILL an equally positive gesture.

"Has he lost his mind completely all together?"

No. You have. Petty rant.
Tom Hughes
9   Posted 17/09/2011 at 08:40:58

I think a few might be asking for the season ticket money back soon....... wonder how they get on.
Tom Hughes
10   Posted 17/09/2011 at 08:40:58

John Ford
11   Posted 17/09/2011 at 08:49:47

Pointless article. Keep your powder dry for the real issues when its needed. Picking on stuff like this, which is a nice gesture, looks mean spirited and silly.
Anthony Flack
12   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:01:10

Can we have a function to rate posts, it would save us all having to read dross like this.

Bloody minded negative and adds nothing.

I noticed you posted it from Korea, did you have a dodgy dog steak, that befuddled your brain?

Good gesture from club.
Mike Green
13   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:04:43

Howard Don (3) - absolutely spot on.
Mike Green
14   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:09:19

Ray Roche (5) :D
Richard Dodd
15   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:13:07

Yet another crass PR stunt from Flossie which actually brings flak for the Chairman-as it deserves to do.Far better an announcement from the Merchandising department rather than paint it as a grand gesture by BK!
Paul Dewhurst
16   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:12:33

Anthony Flack 12 - like the idea of rating the post.
Paul Dewhurst
17   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:12:33

Anthony Flack 12 - like the idea of rating the post.
Danny Burke
18   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:35:09

Credit where it is due, this is a good gesture from the club, while I'm sure there is an element of PR about it, it still is a step in the right direction.

It's not going to change anyones mind about anything but so what, well done to the club.

As for "insanity", that probably best applies to the original post!
Mark Hill
19   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:49:43

Your damned if you do.....and damned if you don't....pointless rant of a post!
Dee Gidwani
20   Posted 17/09/2011 at 09:59:31

How can anyone bitch about getting refunds?? Some of you will complain about anything!!

If we win 5-0 tonight there will still be some people on here bitching about something!!

I've had enough of all the negativity! Lets just cheer the boys on and hope for a decent enough season! All is not lost......... yet.
Trevor Mackie
21   Posted 17/09/2011 at 10:05:06

No rating of posts please.

Don't want this place turning into cliquey little kids groups so prevalent on other forums.

Don't comment if you don't like - very simple.
Kevin Gillen
22   Posted 17/09/2011 at 10:14:12

I've got Radzinski, Jeffers and Yakubu ones upstairs and if I had a Fellaini one I'm keeping tight hold of my receipt.
Jimmy Stenn
23   Posted 17/09/2011 at 11:02:01

No offence Peter, but it's posts like this that give this site a bad name.
Danny Broderick
24   Posted 17/09/2011 at 11:00:54

Unfortunately,some people can't see the wood for the trees. They are so obsessed with their slant on things that they want to interpret everything in a negative/positive way depending on their point of view. Look at things objectively for God's sake! I was on the march last week,I want Kenwright out,but he should not be getting criticised for such a gesture of goodwill. Likewise,I wouldn't expect him to get another round of applause because of this. It's a nice gesture,nothing more,nothing less.
Jimmy Sorheim
25   Posted 17/09/2011 at 11:34:31

Agree Danny. How is it possible for people to view this as anyhing neagtive? I think some are too emotional and they let their feelings run their mouth a little too much. I praise Kenwright for this refund thing, as I think it is a good move. He is a fair man to the supporters by doing this, and anyone who doesnt think he should do this should go tell the other fans that spent their hard earned money on a new shirt only for the player to be sold last minute. To be honest this is the least Kenwright could do for us, as he has sold all of our decent strikers. Vaughan, Yakubu and Beckford, they are all gone from this club and we are left picking up the pieces. Only the injured Saha left. We dont even own Straqualursi so I would say Bill is obligated to give the fans a refund.
Oliver Molloy
26   Posted 17/09/2011 at 12:09:21

WISE UP!!!
Jay Woods
27   Posted 17/09/2011 at 12:04:24

There is nothing Kenwright and his staff at the club could do - and I include Moyes in that since he's shamefully towing the party line of The People's Republic of Kenwright Club - to ever placate my rage bar the club being sold to an owner able to restore the club to its former heights. No PR, no stunts, no refunds, no rosy articles in the press, no spin, no ovations at the matches, no upbeat posts on forums from suspected club employees pretending to be fans... Just. Get. Out!!!
Mike Allison
28   Posted 17/09/2011 at 12:37:31

Peter how is it borderline insanity? Your article is maybe.

Its a nice, if small gesture that only the most one-eyed and extreme 'anti-Kenwright' of supporters could possibly take as a bad thing. I'll bet all the fans getting a refund are happy with it.

As for your assertion that the sports journalists are the blind and ignorant ones, well, I had to chuckle. They are the objective, disinterested observers, who saw the majority of the crowd respond to the booing of Kenwright by applauding.

I'm afraid somebody needs to explain to you that just because you really passionately hold a very strong opinion, it doesn't mean that everyone agrees with you.

Please note I'm not even coming down for or against your overall point of view, I've said before I'm a bit of fence sitter here as I can see both sides, but your article makes little or no sense seen from a logical point of view.
John Ford
29   Posted 17/09/2011 at 13:04:17

Jimmy@22 You're right. Its important not to sensor or deny people their say, but there needs to be some selectivity regarding articles. TW is in danger of becoming a repository for whingers if it publishes this stuff.

There are plenty of good quality articles here re Kenwright and on the other issues. We dont need the the sniping (including from editors) and silly stuff .
Nelly Verdonghan
30   Posted 17/09/2011 at 13:47:38

Should bloody well think so an' all.....

I don't really think it's that great a gesture... he's just doing what is right and proper whilst doing he's best to try and make everyone think he a great guy.... DESPITE his total mis-management of the club....!!

I did chuckle at the following tho "...I simply want to play fair by the supporters who have spent hard earned money...."

What about the supporters who have spent their hard earned money on SEASON TICKETS and travelling away week in week out whilst he and his cronies run the club into the ground...???

Doesen't he want play fair by them also....??

If if he does then GET THE FUCK OUT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE....you patronising twat !! Tony Doran
13 Posted 17/09/2011 at 13:41:44
I also got the shorts 15 with Arteta's number on and had to replace them. Don't i get a refund on them.
Nelly Verdonghan
31   Posted 17/09/2011 at 13:47:57

Jay Woods....Spot On mate !!
Matthew Lovekin
32   Posted 17/09/2011 at 13:59:14

I got my son a 'Rooney' shirt about two months before he was sold, can I also get a refund please?
Brian Waring
33   Posted 17/09/2011 at 14:05:07

Got to see it for what it was, a decent gesture by the club.
Jimmy Sorheim
34   Posted 17/09/2011 at 14:27:56

Heartbreaking news. Yakubu has scored two decent goals for Blackburn. Why did we sell him again? and for 1,5 million, that is less than we sold Vaughan for, and we bought Yak for 11.25 million. Moyes is insane, he really is. Now we scratch our heads wondering why we bother with this club at all, when you look at the Yak buisness I have to say my stomach turns just thinking about it. It must be the dumbest sale this club has EVER done. I am so bitter and leaving me to watch the non- scoring midfielder Cahill who is now our striker is even more depressing. God I hate being an Evertonian now and I feel embarrased by the giving away of Yakubu. Utter shit, I mean what were Moyes thinking of selling Yakubu in the first place???? The sad truth is that we are done, there is nothing left and we are going to lose Fellaini too. I started supporting this clu when Duncen was here and I have never felt as beaten up about the hope of the club as I do today!!!!
Brian Waring
35   Posted 17/09/2011 at 15:04:36

It was a bit of a weird one Jimmy. The Yak was starting to show a bit of form, and then he was benched by Moyes.

He looked good today, also got MOTM.
Andy Crooks
36   Posted 17/09/2011 at 15:53:15

Jimmy, the sale of Yakubu is an indictment of our over rated coach. If he was over weight and unfit then the coach should have dealt with it. He played a blinder against Liverpool and was dropped. Quality striker sold because it seems our overpaid coach couldn't manage him. David Moyes is as much a problem at Kenwright. For the last five years we have had a decent squad and we have underachieved.
It seems to be taken as an established fact that without Moyes we would be fucked. Not so. The Moyes years have been wasted years.
Andy Crooks
37   Posted 17/09/2011 at 16:02:06

Jimmy, the sale of Yakubu is an indictment of our over rated coach. If he was over weight and unfit then the coach should have dealt with it. He played a blinder against Liverpool and was dropped. Quality striker sold because it seems our overpaid coach couldn't manage him. David Moyes is as much a problem as Kenwright. For the last five years we have had a decent squad and we have underachieved.
Mike Allison
38   Posted 17/09/2011 at 17:44:44

Yakubu is quite well known for making a great start at a club, then losing interest and fading badly. A Middlesbrough fan I know warned me of this when we signed him. I wouldn't say it quite happened with us, as the injury may bare most of the responsibility.

I would agree though, and have said elsewhere, that the decision to bench him after the derby when he looked imperious was one of Moyes' worst decisions as manager, and its cost us either a good player, or a fair wedge of cash.

Andy, I understand why some people don't like Moyes, there's plenty wrong with him as well as all the stuff that's right, but "The Moyes years have been wasted years." is a crazy statement, and seriously undermine your credibility.
Andy Crooks
39   Posted 17/09/2011 at 20:56:20

Mike I recognize the qualities of David Moyes and ,yes, I can consider that things might have been much worse without him. However, perhaps things might have been better.He has made some superb bargain basement buys but in my view he has been less sucessful with more money.
Yakubu, Johnson, Beattie, Bily and Fellaini have not been unqualified sucesses.A different coach might have spent the money differently and better. He might have handled the players differently and better.Of course it's entirely a matter of opinion but I believe we could have done better.
Jimmy Sorheim
40   Posted 17/09/2011 at 21:20:58

Andy Crooks I am so glad to have met another fan who sees what I see. At least in this matter wich is the most important one . Seems to me there are very few people seeing Moyes for all his faults. His ego is the biggest problem of all, it flared up towards Rooney,Yobo,JO andYakubu. They are all gone, what does that tell you? His is just as much to blaim for the finace hole we are left in as Kenwright. Two huge egos feeding off eachother, no wonder he has lasted so long at this club, ha ha ha. By the way Andy how old are you, when did you start supporting Everton?
Andy Crooks
41   Posted 17/09/2011 at 23:48:48

Jimmy, I started supporting Everton aged eight when they were 2-0 down to Sheffiekd Wednesday in the 1966 cup final. Still the best decision I ever made,