Season 2011-12

Where have my mates gone?

31 Comments: First  |  Last

I missed the Villa game as I was away on a family holiday; however, I got a text from my mate saying he felt a bit sorry for Billy after reading the Daily Mail spin. I responded with a few replies, as like most of my mates he gathers his Everton news and info off Bluekipper and the National and local press, so unlike people on this site and a few others he does not delve deeply into the club affairs, so he won't understand shit like how Bill tells the AGMs the truth, when he infact banned them a few years back etc.

He was once a great match-going blue who has stopped going now and the reasons are certainly not financial.

On Saturday, I saw another mate of mine who also spouted anger at the Blue Union, because his brother struggled to get down Goodison Road against Villa because of the protest march; he said its not what Everton do (What do Everton do?) He never went the game and seldom does now.

I am saying all this as, not too long ago, me and my mates used to average around 12 to 14 in number and around 10 of those were season ticket holders. On Saturday, there were four of us; against Sheff Utd, I was sitting on my own... and this coming Wednesday we are looking at two of us.

My reason for this letter is that the drop in our gates is nothing short of drastic and still the local press has said jack shit about this. It's all well and good my mates and others defending Bill and slagging the protestors off whilst they waltz around Asda or sit in the pub sipping beer when we are playing at home, but the proof is in the pudding. Work it out for yourselves how much we are losing every home game compared to last season.

I have to say, many people cannot afford to go these days, but there are also thousands who can afford it but just don't want to because of the state of the way we are running the club and the boring football on offer, they prefer to sit in the pub and watch us on the box home or away.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you want to air your view then take a look at these missing thousands and ask yourself what is the blame for this? And certainly don't dismiss the protesters, when we have lost more home support this season than we have in decades, if not our history.

Paul Gladwell, Wirral     Posted 20/09/2011 at 08:09:54

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Jeremy Benson
1   Posted 20/09/2011 at 15:33:24

Have you thought maybe its you?
Dan McKie
2   Posted 20/09/2011 at 15:43:51

Turncoats!
Jeremy Benson
3   Posted 20/09/2011 at 16:03:39

In all seriousness, I'm not really sure what the question is or what you are pondering.

Given a scenario of being poorly run, no new signings, poor football on offer, dire UK finances, head-shaking EPL model, etc etc - surely a reduction of paying fans is the only logical extrapolation?

It's not rocket science. There isn't just one factor to blame here, and its no surprise numbers are down. Probably most of the premiership is wondering the same. Of course a lot of people will jump up and down and point at Bill, but thats a very short-sighted view.

Truth is that Bill isn't directly putting out an 11 without a striker, at home, to poor opposition. He doesn't make the EPL finances run the way they are and he certainly hasn't planted 2 billionaire owners at other premier league clubs who can afford to run the team as a plaything and invest hundred of millions of pounds. Last I checked, credit crunch wasn't his fault either.
Martin Mason
4   Posted 20/09/2011 at 17:06:51

If you are not happy with what is happening at EFC then stop going and that is my advice to everybody. Nothing else you can do will have the same effect. Protest has none, removing your support is unequivocal.
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 20/09/2011 at 16:55:03

Does anyone have the stats for all clubs in comparison? That would give a better indication as to whether or not this is a recession or had enough of Everton thing.
Rob Murphy
6   Posted 20/09/2011 at 17:35:10

I've noticed lots of empty seats in every Premier League ground so far this season,not just Goodison
Trevor Mackie
7   Posted 20/09/2011 at 17:43:59

Struck a chord with me Paul, people can be as smartarse as they like but people ARE voting with their feet.

I suspect most are like your mates not interested in the workings of the club just what they see on the pitch, and this Moyes stuff is defensive shite with the odd flash in the pan serving only to make you wonder what could be.
In itself it wouldn't be bad - if we won something or were even competitive - but neither apply, we just exist in the division.

Plenty accept it - those asking how this club has become such a non-entity are treated like the enemy.

I can afford to go but won't.
Jeremy Benson
8   Posted 20/09/2011 at 18:08:20

Trevor,

"smartarse" comments?

Maybe it's just some other people have different opinions to you, , or they try to lighten the mood on what is and should be a forum for discussion and entertaining.

If you want to be all doom and gloom be my guest, but there's no need for having a go at others.
Trevor Mackie
9   Posted 20/09/2011 at 18:31:05

Jeremy

maybe......or maybe they don't realise they come over as a smartarse and don't like it when pulled up.

You'd have to ask them.
Tom Hughes
10   Posted 20/09/2011 at 19:00:36

I think our last 2 home games have been roughly 78-82% capacity. Most other games had 95% turnouts on the weekend of the villa game (with the exception of the Sunderland game who only had 36k, over 3k more than us). Not sure about on saturday.... but think the percentages were again higher than ours. Probably too early to judge since we haven't played anyone really big yet, but the fact that the Villa game was apparently also 5k less than for last season, and one of, if not our lowest 3pm Sat gate for 9 yrs, until last Saturday that is, tends to indicate quite a measureable drop. Can't see too many turning up tomorrow.... I've already had 2 reminder texts off the club.
Billy Bradshaw
11   Posted 20/09/2011 at 19:06:48

Paul that sounds about right, I have just moved seats in the park end this season and the lad who i now sit next to told me there used to be him and his 9 mates who have sat in the same row since the new park end was built. over the last 2 seasons all of his mates have stopped going due to the type of football on offer, cost and the way the club is being run. There needs to be a bit more thought into ticket pricing, 3 games at home in 12 days, we will be lucky if there is 15,000 for the WBA game.
Jeremy Benson
12   Posted 20/09/2011 at 19:39:10

Trevor,

Maybe you are right. If I came over as a smartarse, I apologise, as I was simply trying to lighten what is other a dark and humbling admission of the position we are in.

To be fair to myself, I did try to point out my humour by saying in my next post "in all seriousness...". if its my second post which was smartarse, then I clearly just didn't articulate my own feelings very well, which were just matter of fact - there are several problems with EFC at the moment, not just directed at one thing. Not saying I can pinpoint all of them - but they are there one way or another.
Steve Cotton
13   Posted 20/09/2011 at 21:07:20

Paul as you are now 97 it could be that some of your friends are no longer with us.
Iain Love
14   Posted 20/09/2011 at 20:55:46

Interesting reading about Citeh struggling to fill their ground, yet they are playing some good stuff with new exciting signings .
Support comes from sucess , what i mean is all the young lads around 6 or 7 will start to support the local team with the greatest sucess at that time , i realise some will be influenced by family , so if we say our last good period was mid 80s those lads of 5 and 6 will now be in there early 30's a time when kids come along and monies tight and going the game gets sacrificed for little uns birthday party.
I dont go the games anymore i'm self employed and i'm skint , although i do go the reserves, £4 a pop does me.
Tony Gee
15   Posted 20/09/2011 at 22:38:27

I've done well over a 1000 games since I was a kid. I vowed last year not to go again till we started playing decent football. Walter was always slated for trying not to lose games, rather than trying to win them, and dithering Dave is no different.
However, I buckled this Saturday and took my 7 year old lad to his first ever game.. He knew nowt about fotball, and I had to explain every rule and white line etc before the match as we sat eating our chips...After 15 mins, he said to me "Dad why do they keep going sideways instead of towards the goal?" .. I though "fuck me" the lads sussed us out already...

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum...
Brendan McLaughlin
16   Posted 20/09/2011 at 23:06:07

Thanks for the anecdote Paul but we need a bit more information. I mean we all started going to matches in groups of 12/14 but over the years the numbers have dwindled. So what timescale are you actually talkig about?
Eric Myles
17   Posted 21/09/2011 at 02:12:34

Maybe instead of 1,500 protesting outside the ground and then going in to watch the match it would make more of a point if they stayed outside and continued protesting.

Then Bill will be able to see why the gates are down and where the supporteres are.
Paul Gladwell
18   Posted 21/09/2011 at 07:08:03

Sorry Brendan, the time spell has been over the past three or four years.
What I am saying is, we have people backing the board and Moyes and slagging the protesters off, yet these lads have stopped going beacuse of the shit football on offer and the state the club is in, they are all in their late 30s and 40s with years of going the game and have stopped going because of the clubs problems and yet defend the people who are part of the problem and attack people wanting to challenge the problem.
Gerard Carey
19   Posted 21/09/2011 at 10:11:03

I think Trevor 7, hit it on the head when he said" we just exist in the division", people want to see exciting football. There is no need for the Blue Union marches, people are already marching away from Goodison in their thousands!!!!.
David Hallwood
20   Posted 21/09/2011 at 10:37:56

I agree that there are a number of contributing factors. My circumstances is that I didn't renew my season ticket and haven't been to a game this season, mainly down to the fact that I stopped enjoying it, and i was looking for other things to do on match day.

Not a turncoat or fair weather supporter, FFS I've sat watching teams that would make this one look like Barca, and never lost the faith.

I suppose if I was to put it into words is that football should be about getting away from the daily shite that is life, but being an Evertonian it has BECOME the daily shite and we talk more about the depressing financial stuff than what we do about football.

It would be interesting to see over the last year or so how many articles on TW were about football as opposed to finance/Kenwright, my guess the ratio is about 1:5
Colin Hughes
21   Posted 21/09/2011 at 12:26:36

£30+ a ticket, £8 to park (by the taxi club, which is a fucking joke) to watch a team play 4-6-0 at home to Wigan. Or £10 on 4 pints to watch it in a pub on a dodgy channel. I dont blame fans for staying away, to much doom and gloom brought on by the board. I'll be giving my season ticket up next year.
Norman Merrill
22   Posted 21/09/2011 at 12:44:51

There was a comment made on radio 5 relating to the drop in attendances at premier grounds, Villa, Arsenal, and ourselves got a mention.
The financial situation does not help, but the fact that teams play under strength sides, in the carling cup, just adds to the reason for not paying to watch.
Norman Merrill
23   Posted 21/09/2011 at 12:44:51

Norman Merrill
24   Posted 21/09/2011 at 12:44:51

Norman Merrill
25   Posted 21/09/2011 at 12:44:51

Joe Grundy
26   Posted 21/09/2011 at 13:48:27

I gave up my season at the start of last season and have not been to a game since, I was going to go QPR at home but thought what is the point. I think it is just a negative attitude the club has installed upon its fans
Mark Stone
27   Posted 21/09/2011 at 15:19:59

"unlike people on this site and a few others he does not delve deeply into the club affairs, so he won't understand shit" actually most of what people write on here about club affairs is unsubstantiated, sensationalist and essentially divorced from reality. The internet gives thick people a platform where they may not previously been able to voice their ignorance. My source: reading it!
Paul Gladwell
28   Posted 21/09/2011 at 17:09:21

No mark, a large majority of people like my mates don't have a clue about things like the AGMs being banned, they have always believed the bull that we have been for sale for years despite the Kirkby Inquiry proving otherwise, they know nothing of the £24M other operating costs and much much more and the reason is because they rely on the Echo and Bluekipper at best, so don't waffle your shite.
These sites can be over the top at times but they also find hidden truths like the shite and lies that have seen the Chairman, Elstone and Sharp all give total different stories regarding The Park End debacle so if you don't like these sites go elsewhere.
Paul Gladwell
29   Posted 21/09/2011 at 17:20:21

And was it not on these rumour mongering sites that we first heard of our new mortgage which shocked so many blues yesterday when it appeared in the Guardian three weeks after we on here new about it, it was old news to many but not to us.
Paul Gladwell
30   Posted 21/09/2011 at 17:28:10

Sorry old news to us but not to others who rely on newspapers national and local.
Drew O'Neall
31   Posted 21/09/2011 at 18:21:33

The correct expression is..

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating"

..and anyway, it doesn't apply here.