Season 2011-12

What team vs West Brom

33 Comments: First  |  Last

Blood the youth or stick to the winning team against Wigan? The Carling Cup as ever represents probably our best chance of grabbing some elusive silverware and a home tie to West Brom, depsite them beating us twice last year, is a very winnable fixture.

So do we throw in the newbies and a smattering of young potential or do we play our strongest team (whatever that might be?!!).

I would say a bit of both. Here's my team.

Howard

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines

Gueye Rodwell Fellaini Drenthe

Barkley

Vellios

Bench: Heitinga Neville Straqualursi Mucha Osman Baxter Mcaleny

A familiar back 4 but giving Coleman a chance to play RB and hopefully make our right side as balanced as our left.

A youthful midfield with pace and energy. Gueye and Drenthe have the chance to bomb forward and Barkley drop back to turn into 4-3-3 if needed.

The talented Barkley given a chance to roam behind matchwinner Vellios.

Given that West Brom may well field a reserve team given their poor start to the Premiership i would hope that this team would have enough to roll them over whilst handing 3 of our most exciting youth prospects (Barkley, Vellios and Gueye) a start.
Sam Hoare, London     Posted 20/09/2011 at 09:56:48

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Eugene Ruane
1   Posted 20/09/2011 at 16:11:47

I'd be happy with your side but would prefer Hibbo to Coleman. I'm a fan of Seamus and love his attitude but..um...not in defence.
Dan McKie
2   Posted 20/09/2011 at 16:17:22

Howard

Neville, Heitinga, Distin, Baines

Gueye, Rodwell, Osman, Drenthe

Barkley

Saha

Give Jags, Felli and Cahill a rest, possibly Osman too and keep Bily in. Let Saha prove he is fit!
Dan McKie
3   Posted 20/09/2011 at 16:21:07

Maybe even put Neville at left back and give Baines a rest, let Hibbo stay at right back.
Jeremy Benson
4   Posted 20/09/2011 at 16:57:58

I'd put both of the new boys in. They need game time and moyes to cast an eye over them. They both must start.

Saha wont start. That would simply make it look like his outburst worked on saturday. He might make the team, but I doubt he will get on the pitch.

Its shocking, but we need to "try" playing a 4-4-2 formation. Its been so long....which in itself is head-shaking.

So I'd start with Velios up front with Straq.
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 20/09/2011 at 16:55:00

Coleman is really poor at right back, better leave him up the wing, side should be the same that finished against Wigan with a 4-5-1 to revert to once its safe
Jay Wilson
6   Posted 20/09/2011 at 17:01:52

I'm pretty sure Mucha will play in goal, he has played every Carling cup game we've had since he arrived.
David Gallant
7   Posted 20/09/2011 at 17:03:52

Agree with Jeremy Benson. I'd like to see the Straq and Vellios up front with Barkley in the centre instead of Rodwell. I'd persevere with Bily too - haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere (maybe because it's shite lol) but I think Bily started very well indeed against Wigan. I noticed that he seemed up to the pace of the game, not dallying too long on the ball. He can thread the eye of a needle with some of his passing, but needs a run on the inside left with Drenthe on the wing. Can't see Moyes discarding his favourites though.
Nelly Verdonghan
8   Posted 20/09/2011 at 17:28:11

Play the STRONGEST available team....It's our only realistic chance of winning a trophy

Nobody needs a rest...they only started in the middle of August FFS....

Play the STRONGEST team....
Ian Tunstead
9   Posted 20/09/2011 at 17:42:52

Like the look of that team sam, i would go for that as well if i wasnt going to stick the a winning side.
Ian Hams
10   Posted 20/09/2011 at 19:12:20

I would definitely play the new boys for at least half the game, and give some time to the fringe players like Barkley, Gueye and Vellios.

Most important though is the need to protect key players from injury and that means giving Mucha a run out and keeping Saha on the bench, we all know he only has a finite number of games left in him and this match isn't important enough to risk him for.
Sean Patton

Mucha

Neville Heitinga Distin Drenthe

Coleman Barkley Bily

Vellios Stracqualursi Saha
Paul Rimmer
13   Posted 20/09/2011 at 19:43:08

or Gueye for Saha if he still has a titty lip
Pat Finegan
14   Posted 20/09/2011 at 19:56:28

Expect to see Neville and Heitinga get a game. Same goes for Gueye after his reserves performance. Don't think Coleman will play right back as Moyes doesn't think he's good enough yet, maybe against lower opposition or in a reserves game.

Mucha

Neville Heitinga Distin Baines

Gueye Fellaini Rodwell Drenthe

Barkley

Vellios

Sticking with 4-5-1. One of either Jags or Distin on the bench in favour of Heitinga. Toss up between Barkley and Strac in with Vellios. But what do I know...
Jon Cox
15   Posted 20/09/2011 at 19:34:11

I would start with the line up that finished on Saturday with one exception.

put Heitinga on instead of Jags. Jags seems to have hit a bit of a lull in form at the mo. so I'd like to see how Jonny and Distin would work out.

Hibbo and Bains are a must and Distin deserves to start. We must find out at some point if we can keep clean sheets.

Not sure if Gueye is fit yet after his foot injury but if he is put him attack right mid. I like Coleman and shouted long and hard for him to included in the team but like Jags I feel his form has dropped somewhat of late.

Lets see if our new boys can start a game and deliver the goods, which will prove quite a few things as in the debate which followed last Saturday.

Moyesy, it's better to be 2-0 up and then go defensive as opposed to being level, or losing at home and bring on the attackers (as you always do)

COYB
Tom Bowers
16   Posted 20/09/2011 at 20:29:28

We have often played our strongest team in this Mickey Mouse cup and lost to crap teams.Best to play those that need the game as a chance to show how good they are.They cannot be any worse than some of the underachievers we have now.
Ryan Holroyd
17   Posted 20/09/2011 at 20:56:08

I personally wouldn't play what I think are our two most important players, Fellaini and Baines.

Rest them for City away.
Mucha
Hibbert Heitinga Distain Neville
Coleman Barkley Osman Drente
Vellios Denis
David Mathieson
18   Posted 20/09/2011 at 21:40:01

All out I say, we have no Europe, not as if the players are overworked.
Billy Bradshaw
19   Posted 20/09/2011 at 21:40:59

I agree with you Ryan, but i would leave distain out aswell.

Mucha

Coleman jagialka heitinga neville

barkley rodwell osman drente

saha vellios
Tony Twist
20   Posted 20/09/2011 at 22:21:07

Mucha, Hibbert, Heitinga, Rodwell, Neville, Barkley, Ossie, Bily, Gueye, Denis, Saha. I would like to see how Rodwell and Heitinga pair together in central defence, plenty of attacking options and not risking Fel, Drent, Coleman, Baines, Cahill who I think need to be kept fit for the battles ahead. My worry is for an awful long time now we are poor at keeping the ball which would be important with this line up.
Max Fine
21   Posted 21/09/2011 at 00:01:23

David (7) - thought it was just me that thought Bily did well in the first half vs. Wigan. Would love to see him given a run in the team playing through the middle, as he's one of our only creative players left...

I'd have him alongside Fellaini for his composure, Barkley for his drives forward and Drenthe/Coleman or Gueye for some speed on the wings... would definitely work on FM

Howard

Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines

Coleman Fellaini Barkley Bily Drenthe

Saha
Ciaran Duff
22   Posted 21/09/2011 at 00:22:15

Ah well, seeing as everyone is doing it, here is my tuppence worth:-
Mucha
Neville, Heitinga, Distin, Baines
Coleman,Felli, Rodwell, Bily
Osman
Saha
Bring on Drenthe, Gueye, Vellios, Stracq or Cahill depending on how it goes.

My logic is basically to play as strong and experienced a team as possible while giving some people a run. So, Mucha, Neville and Heitinga are all like for like swaps and gives them all a good run. Similarly, Saha is a quality striker and a good target man. He also needs a run.
Unlike many people on here, I rate Bily. I think he is putting in the hard yards and he should continue to get game time. Happy for Drenthe to sub him later in the game to add pace etc. Similar on the other side with Coleman and say Gueye. I think the MF partnership of Fell/Rod should be given as much time together as possible.

We really need to win this game to keep the momentum going and to build confidence. COYB.
Dalziel Kane
23   Posted 21/09/2011 at 01:00:11

There's this part of me that fails to recognize the 'Football League Cup' or whatever they choose to call it from each season, I see it larely as a rather trivial piece of metal, and it doesn't matter with who you follow.

On the other hand, this does represent a domestic honor, a trip to the national stadium, and to grab a trophy that had proved elusive to Goodison Park even since the competition's beginning back in 1960/61, I would actually like to see us do well to be honest, it isin't just about the 16/17 year wait to see an Everton captain lift some prize (again) in the air, it's about seeing the clubs name again in the 'winners' enclosure of an actual competition, OK, it's not the main event of the British soccer season but I feel this does represent an opportunity to do well if Moyes takes this with some degree of seriousness and we get a few breaks and luck goes our way when the time arises.

I say put out a strong team tomorrow night , include the new guys, and with a home support and against opposition we should really be beating at Goodison, League, Cup or otherwise, hopefully it should be enough to ensure a place in the later rounds.

The League Title obviously is a no-no, so this leaves this tournament and the F.A Cup to be focused on, of course a European place too would be nice, but for now, and on this day, the club needs to take tomorrows fixture with a level of seriousness and go out to win.

I always remember that Reading game a year or two ago and what an opportunity missed, tomorrow there should be no repeat of any further Cup disasters or frustrations. I'd be genuinely agitated to an extent if West Bromwich were to leave Liverpool tomorrow night with a place in the next rounds, it's really kind of imperative we get this result and take it on to subsequent rounds and League matches.
Eric Myles
24   Posted 21/09/2011 at 02:22:44

Moyes will play the strongest team.

Just imagine what would happen if he fielded the new boys and the youngsters and they won comfortably and in style!

He'd look a right tit for sticking with 4-6-0 for the rest of the season.
Andy Peers
25   Posted 21/09/2011 at 05:44:17

Eric,
Moyes already looks a right tit to me for playing that formation on our first 4 league games because they were all easier Premier teams. Having said that 4-6-0 sounds good against City and Utd. I just hope they don't blow us out but I fear the worst. Even 10-0-0 might be our best against those 2 teams especially City who will be after our blood for beating them the last 4 or 5 times.
Jimmy Sorheim
26   Posted 21/09/2011 at 08:00:59

Please, do anyone know a link to a stream for tonights game.?
Ryan Rosenberg
27   Posted 21/09/2011 at 08:01:12

Mucha
Neville Heitinga Distin Baines
Gueye Barkley Bilyaletdinov Drenthe
Vellios Saha
Eugene Ruane
28   Posted 21/09/2011 at 08:26:35

I wouldn't play Bilyaletdinov in the tart's team.

By the way, I know that sounds like an un-PC, sexist term, but apparently it's fine - I'm merely 'unreconstructed'.

(well..that's what they said about oul' sexist Ginger McCain when he died)
Colin Malone
29   Posted 21/09/2011 at 10:44:27

Dennis and velios in the first 4 4 2 of the season.
Steve Jones
30   Posted 21/09/2011 at 13:14:12

Hints are that Saha isnt in contention. Still in the bad lads club for flicking off the Ressies.

---------------------------Mucha-------------------------Hibbo----------Jags-----------Heits--------Baines
-------------------------Rodwell--------------------------
Bilyaletdinov---------Osman--------------Drenthe
-----------------Cahill------------------------------------
---------------------------Velios--------------------------

Bench: Howard, Distin, Barkley, Fellaini, Stacquilursi

I dont think West Brom have any real height in their attack, from memory, and I'd like to see Heitinga given a run out in his best position. I think he'd work well bringing the ball out of defence and linking up with Ossie and Drenthe.

Bilyaletdinov is going to play second fiddle to Drenthe on the left going forwards and I dont think he has the fight in him to carve holes in the middle as an attacking midfielder. Left sided wingers cutting inside from out on the right seem fashionable at the moment. I think its worth seeing if the lad has anything to offer there?.
Mike Green
31   Posted 21/09/2011 at 16:00:04

Colin - 4 4 2?!?!? Have you lost your mind? Swoon.....
Dominic Bobadilla
32   Posted 21/09/2011 at 17:36:31

Mucha
Distin Jags
Hibbert Baines
Barkley
Coleman Bilyaletdinov Drenthe
Dracula Vellios
Tony Gee
33   Posted 21/09/2011 at 17:58:57

4-6..

keep it tight..

fingers crossed we nick one..