Season 2011-12

The New Barry Horne?

16 Comments: First  |  Last

He bothers the net about once a season, and when he does it's always from an improbably long way out.

Phil Neville: the new Barry Horne?

Richard Pike, Birmingham     Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:25:24

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Shaun Brennan
1   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:41:18

Phil Neville is Pele compared to Barry Horne.
Martin Handley
2   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:50:12

How can you compare the two, Barry Horne was part of the legendary 'Dogs of War' while Pip god bless his cotton socks,is just well..a dog!!
As good as P-Nev's goals are, Barry Horne will always have 'that' goal against Wimbledon and for this alone he's a Legend!
Al Reddish
3   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:55:27

Does that apply to Gareth Farrelly as well then?
Eugene Ruane
4   Posted 23/09/2011 at 14:03:27

Al (3) - yes!
Eugene Ruane
5   Posted 23/09/2011 at 14:10:56

Here's one list Phil makes (Southall too!)

My parents have always been there for me, ever since I was about 7. "
*David Beckham*

"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the
league."
*Mark Viduka*

"Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well..he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had."
*David Beckham*

"If you don't believe you can win, there is no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day."
*Neville Southall*

"I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable."
*Paul Gascoigne*

"I've never wanted to leave. I'm here for the rest of my life, and hopefully after that as well."
*Alan Shearer*

"I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona "
*Mark Draper*

"You've got to believe that you're going to win, and I believe we'll win the World Cup until the final whistle blows and we're knocked out."
*Peter Shilton*

"I faxed a transfer request to the club at the beginning of the week, but let me state that I don't want to leave Leicester "
*Stan Collymore*

"I was watching the Blackburn game on TV on Sunday when it flashed on the screen that George (Ndah) had scored in the first minute at Birmingham. My first reaction was to ring him up. Then I remembered he was out there playing."
*Ade Akinbiyi*

"Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match."
*Ian Wright*

"I'm as happy as I can be - but I have been happier."
*Ugo Ehiogu*

" Leeds is a great club and it's been my home for years, even though I live in Middlesborough."
*Jonathan Woodgate*

"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel."
*Stuart Pearce*

"I took a whack on my left ankle, but something told me it was my right."
*Lee Hendrie*

"I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country."
*Ian Rush*

" Germany are a very difficult team to play...they had 11 internationals out there today."
*Steve Lomas*

"I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock."
*Barry Venison*

"I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet."
*David Beckham*

"The Brazilians were South American, and the Ukrainians will be more European."
*Phil Neville*

"All that remains is for a few dots and commas to be crossed."
*Mitchell Thomas*

"One accusation you can't throw at me is that I've always done my best."
*Alan Shearer*

"I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd."
*Johnny Giles*
*"Sometimes in football you have to score goals."
*Thierry Henry*
Rob Prince
6   Posted 23/09/2011 at 14:33:19

John Motson Euro 96.." the Germans have equalized.....kuntz......!"

Did he also in the same match say " and itīs seamen dribbling out of the box" or am I making it up?
Shaun Brennan
7   Posted 23/09/2011 at 14:57:55

Few more to your list Eugene

The opening ceremony was good, although I missed it.
Graeme Le Saux

I was surprised, but I always say nothing surprises me in football.
Les Ferdinand

Well your honour I am a cunt, so what do you expect.
Steven Gerrard.
Lee Courtliff
8   Posted 23/09/2011 at 16:41:24

Very good Eugene. But i can't believe none of you mentioned John Motson telling the viewers who were watching in B/W that Liverpool are the ones in red!!

I know it's an old one but still worth a mention.
Dominic Bobadilla
9   Posted 23/09/2011 at 19:26:34

Just outside the penalty area is not an "improbably long way out." Oh well, improbable for Neville perhaps. Barry Horne is a legend, Phil Neville a nuisance.
Chris Leyland
10   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:26:08

"yes mr Henry 35million for Andy Carroll is anreal bargain" K Dalglish

"It's a mid week game at anfield there's Norway the stadium will be full" anonymous

Aiden Doyle
11   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:36:59

Motty was on a roll that tournament, Rob. During one match David Seaman tried to clear a cross and managed to punch one of the centre backs in the head. Motty?s verdict was something along the lines of ?he?s fisted the defender!?.
Sean Patton
12   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:38:12

The best one has to be Bobby Robson after the Cameroon game at Italia 90

" We didn't underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought ".

Dean Adams
13   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:38:36

Was 'nt it .......Kuntz slips one in, Seaman was all over the place....
Dick Fearon
14   Posted 23/09/2011 at 22:07:41

Another classic was, 'What a brilliant goal that nearly was'
Andy Crooks
15   Posted 23/09/2011 at 23:34:49

Can we change sport? Hamilton Bland swimming commenter; "This girl swims like a greyhound"
Dalziel Kane
16   Posted 24/09/2011 at 17:15:39

Neville is nothing like Horne.

Barry will forever be a part of Goodison folklore of THAT goal against Wimbledon in '94, even though he scored one that was twice as good for Southampton in an FA cup tie two or three years before it.