Season 2011-12

When Saturday Comes...

36 Comments: First  |  Last

I see David Moyes is defending his despicable and ruinous behind-the-ball-for-90-minutes tactics against Manchester City on the grounds that we almost didn't get beat. It seems evident to me — and it must be everyone except Moyes — that if we play similar tactics and the same starting line-up next Saturday against pacy and opportunistic forwards, we will be inevitably thrashed.

It is absolutely imperative to carry the game to the opposition in the derby game. I would start Drenthe and Stracqualursi and Saha. They are all exciting players who have something to prove and deserve more than a few minutes per game to prove it. Stracqualursi looks like he is becoming this year's Magaye Gueye — all dressed up and nowhere to go every Saturday.

Moyes said he "didn't come to Man City for their enjoyment" and so should not be expected to play positive football. What about our enjoyment? I want to see attacking football. Doesn't every Evertonian? If we are going to lose anyway, lose shooting at the opposition goal.
Peter Fearon, Liverpool     Posted 25/09/2011 at 19:27:42

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

John McInnes
1   Posted 25/09/2011 at 21:31:06

Having watched the game against City, it's not easy to say our manager got it right or wrong! We had a game plan and the players stuck to it.

We are really lucky to have this guy in charge! I'm sure he would like to hear positive things! Well I say thank God we've got a GREAT MANAGER! COYB

John Daley
2   Posted 25/09/2011 at 21:35:11

"We are really lucky to have this guy in charge! I'm sure he would like to hear positive things!"

Err, so would we...from him....for a change.
Chris Downie
3   Posted 25/09/2011 at 21:54:01

Without him John we wouldn't even be in the prem lad.
John Daley
4   Posted 25/09/2011 at 21:37:07

Peter, I wouldn't expect a sudden sea change in philosophy from Moyes but we're at home, it's the derby, and the crowd won't tolerate 11 men camped out in our own half the whole game, so I would expect us to show some semblance of attacking intent. I reckon he'll at least start with a striker on the pitch on Saturday. Is Big Vic fit?

I'm never optimistic about the derby games. I've seen them smug gits sneak it too many times. Last season was the only one in recent memory I can remember watching totally relaxed. I don't even remember calling Carragher a cunt once, all day, not even under my breath or anything. Some sort of record for me.

If I'm wrong and Moyes does start with the same team and tactics as against City, then 'Carra' won't be the only one I'm shouting it at on Saturday.
John Daley
5   Posted 25/09/2011 at 21:59:32

"Without him John we wouldn't even be in the prem lad."

Is that your catchphrase or something Chris?
Dick Fearon
6   Posted 25/09/2011 at 22:06:40

Without him there would be a good chance we would also be without Kenwright. Now there's a thought.
Robert Johnson
7   Posted 25/09/2011 at 22:05:09

If Moyes even thinks about employing the same tactics on Saturday he should be fucking lynched.

The sooner he fucks off to the promised land that is Old Trafford the better.

The mancs will soon lose patience with him when he sticks Rooney at left back.

Lucky to have him ! do me a fucking favour.
Paul Columb
8   Posted 25/09/2011 at 22:16:09

I had to chuckle (in a laughing-but-on-the-verge-of -of-pouring-battery-acid-into-my-earholes type way) when hearing Moyes lament that we don't have a 20+ goal per season striker, hence the lack of one on the pitch. If Everton had Messi on their payroll he'd be lucky to get 10 a season with 4-5-1- service, end up on the bench, get pissed off and finally end up isolated by DM and leave.
Ian Edwards
9   Posted 25/09/2011 at 22:21:19

Its a pity that the Blue Union dont do something useful and start a protest march to get rid of Dreary Dave.

Kase Chow
10   Posted 25/09/2011 at 23:45:44

Sh1t boring tactics

Fact is we're gonna finish somewhere between 5th and 15th this season cos of finances...fair enough

But can we not at least see our team attack and show some drive and adventure (rather than rolling over and having our tummies tickled)?
Mark Wayman
11   Posted 26/09/2011 at 00:24:22

Need to play with pace in the Derby. Coleman and Drenthe to start. Liverpool's weakness is their defence. Run at them and they can't hack it.

If we play hoofballs to an isolated striker has-been Carragher will be lauded as player of the season.
Andy Crooks
12   Posted 26/09/2011 at 00:32:03

Mark Wayman, that's the post of the day. Put pressure on them and they will crumble. I don't fear them because we will start with a different line-up and we will win.
Mick Davies
13   Posted 26/09/2011 at 00:40:33

"Without him John we wouldn't even be in the prem lad".
Well done Mystic fuckin Meg. How do you know that? With him we might not be in the prem soon
Brendan O'Doherty
14   Posted 26/09/2011 at 01:58:14

Agreed Mark and Andy. Let's get at them. We are going to win this, I can feel it in my blue blood.

Kirk McArdle
15   Posted 26/09/2011 at 02:28:56

We might not have a 20+ goal a season striker but when you do not play one for a full 90 minutes then how would we know??

Cahill up front supported by no-one is not the answer. Cahill SHOULD be the support FOR the striker.

His job is to be a fucking nuisence for either an opposition anchor man or to mess with a centre half drawing them out of position. This is what he does best. Not leading a forward line.

DM obviously leads a tight ship as shown by dropping Yakubu when he give aguably his best perfomance in a blue shirt against Liverpool. Something went on there which I don't think we will ever get to the bottom of. Same seems to be happening with Saha.

If the guy is not match fit, then without some playing time how will he become match fit? Strat. His bench seat is starting to get a mould of his arse just like Gueye's did last year.

We were never going to win against Man City on Saturday playing 4-6-0. But I am surprised that we were not beaten by more. Man City have played exceptional foortball this season. Silva, Dzeko and Agureo (what a player) are even keeping Tevez out. I thought we would get ripped apart by them.

But saying that I do feel as a team, fans & manager, we need to think "Fuck it. Backs to wall with nowhere to go. Just fucking go for it."

If we lose, then we lose, but just go for it. Let the players really start to express themselves.

Hibbert for RB. I think we complements Jags, Distin & Baines better than Pip.

Coleman and Drenthe on the wings for directness and pace.

Felliani to become a proper box 2 box player.

Rodwell to come out of his shell and start to dominate games with slick passing and get forward more.

I am not his biggest fan but give Anichebe a fixed position. Be the lump up front and use you strength to mix it with the opposition defence. Stop fucking moaning and beating the floor.

Play Vellios from the start.

To the manager and the 11 that get in the starting line up each game. GROW A SET OF BALLS.
Eugene Ruane
16   Posted 26/09/2011 at 08:03:00

Kirk (16) - You say..

"DM obviously leads a tight ship as shown by dropping Yakubu when he give aguably his best perfomance in a blue shirt against Liverpool".

Think you'll find that's running a DUMB ship.
Richard Dodd
17   Posted 26/09/2011 at 08:09:18

I`m beginning to wonder why Davey sees Cahill as `his man most likely to score` and thus plays him in this `would-be` striker role. By my reckoning, Tim has not found the net in a Prem game since last December. Have I missed one?

On the other hand, I don`t think he was sent out with goalscoring his priority last Saturday, anyway!

Richard Dodd
18   Posted 26/09/2011 at 08:09:18

I'm beginning to wonder why Davey sees Cahill as `his man most likely to score` and thus plays him in this `would-be`striker role. By my reckoning,Tim has not found the net in a Prem game since last December. Have I missed one?
Richard Dodd
19   Posted 26/09/2011 at 08:49:24

Eugene, I think you`ll find the main criticism of the Yak was that he was a poor defender!
Chris Butler
20   Posted 26/09/2011 at 11:20:07

In my opinion this is where the Blue Union have gone wrong thye say they support Moyes, but he's made it clear he doesn't want their support. If Moyes left Kenwright would follow suit they both need each other to survive. The problem is both of them are just too comfortable in their job. Moyes knows we can lose the all our games in October and Kenwright will still give him a pat on the back. The problem is Moyes still believes his only job is to keep us in the division.

With the exception of maybe the Spurs game in 2007 when he put 6 defenders on the pitch he which he got a lot of stick for. He's gone backwards thats the problem in 2007/2008 he had set up a great side then completely dismantled it.

Under Moyes we'll never win at Anfield, or win a trophy. I now understand what Van Der Mede when he commented on Moyes,he's a man who aims to remove all personality out of a players body. Every time I read the Echo there's something about Evertons team sprit or somebody praising Moyes.

Nick Entwistle
21   Posted 26/09/2011 at 11:44:49

Moyes parks the bus for ONE game and everyone fears this is the new tactic in place for all games for all time. Ridiculous.
Ian McPherson
22   Posted 26/09/2011 at 12:49:25

Agree Nick, we went there with a game plan and it took a deflection to open us up.

I am not a fan of Moyes and his general negative tactics but will a new manager be able to turn a bunch of average players into Barcelona?

Would Bilic turn Coleman into Sheedy or Osman into Modric? No, the team we fielded on Saturday is the kind of average bunch of players City used to field before putting in half a billion into their squad.

We are what we are at present. It also takes a defeat like that on Saturday for us to go on a run. Can't see us losing the derby, if anything I can see us winning.
John Holmes
23   Posted 26/09/2011 at 13:00:45

"we don't have a 20+ goal per season striker, hence the lack of one on the pitch. If Everton had Messi on their payroll he'd be lucky to get 10 a season with 4-5-1- service"

The one season we've had a 20+ goals a season striker he scored 20+ goals in a mostly 4-5-1 formation... then tore his achilles.
Eugene Ruane
24   Posted 26/09/2011 at 13:43:58

Nick (18) You're right, it's only ONE game, why don't all the 'ridiculous' idiots not realise we have almost a full season of attacking, exciting, not overly-defensive football ahead of us.

(siiiiiigh!)
Andrew Laird
25   Posted 26/09/2011 at 13:59:11

Chris #3 "Without him John we wouldn't even be in the prem lad"

Absolute unfounded bullshit of the highest order.
Kevin Tully
26   Posted 26/09/2011 at 13:56:19

Got to start the derby with Saha up top. Even though Cahill has a great record against the Shite, he hasn't scored since last year.

I won't forgive Moyes if he doesn't start with a recognised CF at home to these fuckers. We need a strong ref. to watch the diver Suarez, and Carragher up to his usual dirty tricks.

I have got a feeling Drenthe could give them a nightmare because of their unsettled defence. They won't relish coming to our place, let's make sure we give it to the horrible bastards.
Andrew Laird
27   Posted 26/09/2011 at 14:03:58

Moyes set Everton up as if they were a Conference side looking for a money spinning FA Cup replay. Shameful.

He then tries to mask his anti-football by blaming the referee, the man is equally as arrogant as his employer.
Peter Fearon
28   Posted 26/09/2011 at 14:11:40

Nick, I did not suggest that because Mr. Negativity "parks the bus for one game" as you put it, this is the new tactic for all games for all time. However, it is reasonable to suppose that as Moyes claims the Man City result was a success - as he did in post-game interviews - he might try it again in tricky upcoming games against Man Utd, Chelsea and so on. This is not the first time he has played no strikers and not the first time he tried unsuccessfully to park the bus, by the way, but don't let the facts trouble you.
James Marshall
29   Posted 26/09/2011 at 14:34:48

City will pump most teams this season - I wasn't at the game but I was at Fulham the week before to see them get a 2-2 draw after seriously taking their collective foot off the gas.

They have quality all over the field and seeing as how our record against them is second to none, it was only a matter of time before they beat us.

Be careful what you wish for; David Moyes is doing the best he can with limited resources and will never send a team out to go gung-ho against anyone, especially City. OK we were pretty defensive and it wasn't great to watch, but City away isn't really a game Moyes would have pinpointed for picking up points this season, and nor will many other managers.
Nick Entwistle
30   Posted 26/09/2011 at 17:40:21

I wasn't quoting directly from you Peter, just recognising the general feeling. And Eugene, there are shades of gray between black and white. Moyes doesn't park the bus every game, nor does he play 'attacking, exciting' football... just somewhere in between.
Jamie Tulacz
31   Posted 26/09/2011 at 18:44:14

Thing is we really don't have many options up front. By all accounts Straqualursi didn't set the world on fire in the Carling Cup, and I didn't hear many calling for Vellios to start before the season. Two half-decent games hardly makes him a guaranteed starter.

Suspect anyway we'll see Saha back for the next game now he's fit and has stopped sulking.

Everyone's going on about Fulham coming back from 2-0 down against City last week, conveniently forgetting that they've absolutely trounced the rest of their opposition this season
Andy Crooks
32   Posted 26/09/2011 at 19:16:16

James, "be careful what you wish for"? Well fuck me pink. I wish for something different that Saturday's shameful embarrassment. About what part of that particular wish should I be careful?
Steve Higham
33   Posted 26/09/2011 at 20:12:46

All those saying we would be relegated without Moyes - how do you know ? If that was the case when Moyes does move on does that mean however replaces him we will definately be relegated. Hang on though you might be right if Phil Neville takes the helm!!
Marcus Kendall
34   Posted 26/09/2011 at 23:41:14

What a load of guff! Everton would've been relegated? pah!

Moyes UNDERACHIEVED last season, no question about it, that squad of players should of done MUCH better, some fans even put a (stupid) bet that Everton might win the league.

Fans are misled by the media who act like Moyes is this world beater manager who deserves the best jobs when in fact he's a decent manager managing in a league full of average to below average managers (with some notable exceptions of course).

I don't think any Evertonian would of bemoaned losing to the Plastic Club on Saturday but the manner of defeat plus Moyes general negative demeanour ALL season so far has really disillusioned me to the point where I feel like I did under the Walter Smith regime.

We need a change of ownership and management thats for sure, and for those who say who could do better then I'll name Gus Poyet for starters (Lambert perhaps too).
Kase Chow
35   Posted 25/09/2011 at 23:45:44

Sh1t boring tactics

Jimmy Sorheim
36   Posted 28/09/2011 at 00:25:11

I wonder if some Preston fans on here could talk about what he was like for them? I think he suits being a championship manager better than he suits being Everton's manager. In the beginning he was nice and smiled but now 10 years after he looks like a serial killer at pre-match conferences. If any of you know about body language and micro-expressions then you have seen that he has no belief in this team, and he is unhappy about his situation.

I would not be surprised if he signs a new deal in January, because Kenwright is now his friend and Moyes is happy to earn huge money and having no expecttaisions. Many times you can see Moyes has been here too long, pre-match conferences show that if asked a negative question than he will bite the head off the person asking; however, I do remember Moyes being content and happy in the first years of his time here he was an inspiration to everyone, talking about his ambitions and how big this club is plus his new "We are the People's Club". Those times are long gone and we will get nothing more useful out of him.

Moyes needs a change even if he doesn't know it yet or Kenwright doesnt know it yet. It will be the sadest day of my life if and when we go down with Moyes only because of the great feelings Kenwright has for him. Feelings should not mix with buisness, Kenwright should have learned that by now.