Season 2011-12

Moyes and Strikers

21 Comments: First  |  Last

I wonder what others think of the strikers Moyes has bought to the club in his almost 10 years?

I have made a list: He has signed 3 strikers on loan (McBride 2003, Jeffers 2003, and Jo 2009). The others are McFadden 2003, Bent 2004, Beattie 2005, Johnson 2006, Yakubu 2007, Saha 2008, Beckford 2010, Vellios and Stracqualursi 2011.

These are strikers who have all played for the first team and signed by David Moyes.

I have not included Vaughan, Anichebe abd Rooney as they all came through the academy.

The numbers are low when you consider Moyes only likes to play one upfront and the only 20-plus goalscorer was the Yak.

Goals win games and ? just stating the obvious ? unless we change the formation/tactics we shall continue to struggle upfront.
Mark McDonald, Wellington     Posted 26/09/2011 at 22:08:51

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Peter Fearon
1   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:31:56

David Moyes tragic flaw is his failure to properly find two strike partners to spearhead the attack. It is this failure, more than anything else, that prevents him from being a great manager and which has prevented Everton from making further progress.

Incidentally, Vellios played 87 minutes for the Reserves against Chelsea and Barkley played all 90, which suggests to me that neither will feature in the derby. I hear constantly that his options are few and his resources are meagre... so why are two of our most exciting players being wasted ? one might even say risked ? in the stiffs?

John Daley
2   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:57:06

I used to despair in the days when Forest Bent, busty Beattie, and Mcfadden the infuriating were 'leading the line'. Now I'm wondering if I wasn't a little bit harsh on the lads.
Chris Bannantyne
3   Posted 27/09/2011 at 15:57:40

I believe some fans give Moyes less credit than he deserves, and other fans give Moyes more credit than he deserves.

To me Moyes is generally a good manager, but not a great one.

Moyes has certain great attributes, most notably his ability to pick up good players at bargain prices - Arteta, Cahill, Coleman, Jags, Baines, Pienaar etc.

Moyes also has some poor attributes - his apparent inability to change tactics per opposition. His dogged reliance on his old war horses when they aren't performing, like (at various times) Cahill, Neville, Saha and Jagielka. And of course there is the small matter of Victor Anichebe.

When it comes to strikers, however, this appears to be Moyes' biggest issue. Forwards are the most sought after commodity in the game, they are rarely under-priced like defenders and midfielders can be, they are often, in fact, way overpriced. This, in itself, makes it very hard for Moyes to pull out his bargain tricks on a striker - but its not impossible.

Beckford, to me, was a good signing. As wasteful as he could be, he certainly showed the potential to be able to bag a fair few goals in a season. Given our meagre striking resources I'm still not sure flogging him to leicester for £4mil was the best idea.

Yakubu was excellent early on, but he was well paid for. Saha is capable, but rarely fit. Vellios is promising, and I hope to see more of him, but he hasn't played enough to really determine. Same goes for Stracqualursi. Jeffers, Beattie and Bent were what they were. Absolutely nothing special. And Anichebe is just an absolute puzzle.

I feel that Moyes' eye for a bargain doesn't really extend to strikers. He has a defensive mindset, and I just don't think he really 'gets' forwards. I think that whilst we can't spend big money on strikers, then we won't see a big return from any of them.

Hope I'm wrong.
Nick Entwistle
4   Posted 27/09/2011 at 16:27:46

No mention of Ferguson or the legendary Rodrigo? Radzinski and Campbell? Chadwick was given a number of games too, and he bought Abdullyev who scored on loan at the weekend back in Azerbaijan. Lukas Jutkiewicz was brought in, Joao Silva is another, Scott Spencer and finally Joe Max-Moore. There's ten you can add to your list.

You kinda answer you own question by saying he plays one up front. We were 6th top scorers last season, one goal behind Liverpool. So your point being is?
Brian Harrison
5   Posted 27/09/2011 at 16:38:23

I think trying to pick up strikers cheaply is very rare, although I think Hernandez at Man Utd might be the exception. I think maybe Davie being an ex-defender might not always have an empathy with strikers.

I would suggest that maybe might be an idea to employ Graeme Sharp to work with the forwards one day a week. We seem to have plenty of ex-midfielders and ex-defenders as coaches but no ex-striker.

Maybe Sharp could help with the movement of our strikers as Saha in particular seems to run everywhere bar into the opponent's area. Maybe working with someone like Vellios would in my opinion improve the lad.
John Daley
6   Posted 27/09/2011 at 17:03:53

Campbell, Ferguson, Radzinski, Max-Moore and Chadwick were already at the club when Moyes arrived. Abdullayev is a midfielder. Rodrigo wasn't even real was he? I was sure I imagined that fucker.
Richard Dodd
7   Posted 27/09/2011 at 17:14:36

Surely you don`t need to have forwards when you play it tight and hope to nick one. Means more time can be spent on drilling the defence.... although they always let us down!!!
Nick Entwistle
8   Posted 27/09/2011 at 17:11:57

Its pointless not mentioning them. They were strikers at his disposal. Strikers available when joining the club will also determine who you bring in so only goes to make the post more pointless if not mentioned.

You're right about Rodrigo, I think he's used in bedtime stories for children.
Peter Laing
9   Posted 27/09/2011 at 20:22:19

The more pertinent question is whether Moyes will play a recognised striker at the weekend, otherwise we are likely to be chasing the game by deploying an ultra defensive policy. Got to start with Velios, with his enthusiasm and determination he has the potential to run the yard-dogs Carragher, Agger and Skrtel into the ground all day long. 4-6-0 and we get smashed to pieces, Moyes attack FFS !
Andy Crooks
10   Posted 27/09/2011 at 20:35:21

Did Rodrigo not suffer a career ending injury in training?
Dave Lynch
11   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:26:36

All where half decent except for McFadden, who was totally fucking useless at everything he did.
Martin Anderson
12   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:56:00

This w/e he has to play Saha & Velios up front to sort the 'yard dogs' as Peter puts it! (like that!)
Then Fellainin Rodwell Osman & Cahill (with Drenthe coming on with last 20mins). Neville @ right back (sorry Hibbo) Captain Fantasitc needed.

I can t even remember Rodrigo, Yep Radzinski & McFadden - used to miss from a yard, but also scored some crackers!
COYB!
Mark McDonald
13   Posted 27/09/2011 at 23:53:30

Thanks John #6 for putting Nick #4 straight that those strikers were already at the club and not signed by Moyes. One thing is clear he got rid of them as soon as he could!

Nick, do I take it you are happy with the formation with playing one upfront? That's fine, that is your opinion. We all want to see a winning, successful side.My point is I would like to see us do it in style and is enjoyable to watch. Ok sometimes you win ugly so I take it you like the style of football we are playing under Moyes?
Mike Green
14   Posted 28/09/2011 at 07:36:05

Dave Lynch - I dont agree entirely but love the way you put it, my Uncle Paul would be nodding sagely if he read that! Very good :D
Mike Green
15   Posted 28/09/2011 at 07:36:05

Nick Entwistle
16   Posted 28/09/2011 at 12:03:52

No I didn't Mark, but your post, a post that is full of holes and little point, is just another Moyes-bash.

The point you're making centres on the 'low' number of strikers signed.
Yet not to include academy players (though you did when including them) and strikers at the club when Moyes arrived, and forgetting some signings, and defeating your own argument by mentioning the one up front, makes this post redundant.

There's 24/25 strikers at Moyes disposal. What point could you possibly be making other than some loose notion you dreamed up, having no basis in reality, fulfilling your desire to bash the man in charge? Really, I'm all ears...
Les Barson
17   Posted 28/09/2011 at 15:47:54

Peter Fearon

Absolutely correct. What happened to the old adage "Attack is the best form of defence"? I'm afraid Moyes doesn't get it ? unlike those of who can rememeber the GREAT managers: Catterick, Kendall et al... I am 42 years an Evertonian.

The attendances tell the true story and, in keeping with the league table they don't lie.

Negative and sterile tactics will not bring back the increasingly disaffected. If Moyes doesn't understand that then we are doomed to failure. Bring back the School of Science!

Peter Murphy
18   Posted 28/09/2011 at 16:48:13

We can all talk until we are blue in the face but he will play a crocked Cahill on his own up front until we are at least two down.
Jamie Tulacz
19   Posted 28/09/2011 at 20:23:32

Agreed the record's not great and Moyes' major weakness for me.

But generally you do need plenty of money to get yourself a decent striker. I'm sure people will come up with examples now of cheap strikers, but for me would be the exceptions that prove the rule... (hopefully!..)
Kevin Freaney
20   Posted 29/09/2011 at 18:21:12

Christ, if I see Cahill starting alone upfront on Saturday I'll lose it!!!!!
Jimmi James
21   Posted 30/09/2011 at 11:08:37

It's not the quality of the strikers as alot of them have been decent players, it's more the managers decision not to play them, I mean come on ? going to City without a recognised striker in the starting 11 has got to be wrong... What sort of message does that send out to the opposition? We all know we look better with strikers on the park when we have to to "go for it". Just what is going on?