Season 2011-12

EFC Marketing... Men of Action?

7 Comments: First  |  Last

Having spent many years in retail, one of the real frustrations I have with Everton has been the apparent ineptness of our sales & marketing department. Whilst attending a trade fair last weekend, I solved a little mystery & found yet another potential example of this ineptitude that I thought I'd share with you.

It all started last Xmas when I was looking for a present for a mate of mine, who just happens to be an Arsenal fan. I came across a replica of a 1960s/70s Action Man (GI Joe) action figure football kit, with great artwork that would display well. That was him sorted but remembering from childhood that they used to do an Everton set, I wanted one to display in my office.

I found out that a guy had bought the 'rights' to all the old sets, and was producing them under licence in China. As retro/nostalgia was 'in vogue', he was making a fortune. I looked at what was available... Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Celtic, even bloody West Ham ? BUT no Everton!

This put me into 'Bitter Blue' mode. Aggrieved that that my club was the original set that wasn't worthy of a re-issue, I resolved that ,if I ever met the guy, he'd be getting the 'Big club' rant no mistake.

Anyways, last Sunday, there he was, so it was time to find out why there was no Everton set. This is the response I got...

They had to licence the rights to the figures/dolls from Hasbro but for the named football teams also needed permission from the clubs. They wrote to all the clubs, who had sets made of them in the 60s/70s & it cost up to 100,000 per club to obtain these rights.

So why no Everton set? Apparently to the question "Do you want up to 100,000 for effectively nothing? ... Yep you've guessed it ? we said NO!

Marc Williams, West Midlands     Posted 30/09/2011 at 10:41:23

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Chez Hutton
1   Posted 30/09/2011 at 15:26:13

Any opportunity to make half a story? How much was the actual 'up to 100000'?
Peter Laing
2   Posted 30/09/2011 at 16:19:00

We could do with action man up front for the derby game tomorrow, seen as he isnt available for selection I will definetely make do with Velios, COYB
Lee Courtliff
3   Posted 30/09/2011 at 18:31:15

The sad thing is............it's not all that suprising. IF it is actually true of course.
Marc Williams
4   Posted 30/09/2011 at 19:30:20

Chez @ 1.... There were different amounts for individual clubs. As I understand it 34,000 was the lowest & most wanted closer to 100,000.
All the clubs I listed accepted the money, though there was a subsequent problem with Newcastle & the named set was withdrawn.
The position regarding Glasgow Rangers & Aston Villa is unknown and Everton weren't interested.

Some clubs also took up to 1000 sets with a rrp of 40 for their club shops.
Margins were good on these items so another approx 20K gross profit on these would be anticipated.
Marc Williams
5   Posted 30/09/2011 at 19:45:09

Dan @ 3... I'm not trying some Woodward & Bernstein expose here Dan just an Everton related snippet I thought I'd share.
As to why Everton weren't interested in the money...well I've no idea.
Chelsea, L'pool, Man U, Spurs, Celtic Newcastle & West Ham were.

Lee@ 5... I spoke face to face with the guy who was buying the rights, so what I was told was 1st hand.
I just thought it was strange to turn down 'money for old rope', when far richer clubs accepted it.
Mike Byrne
6   Posted 30/09/2011 at 20:25:21

Marketing department?

You mean we have a marketing department - I would never have guessed
Kevin Freaney
7   Posted 30/09/2011 at 23:05:16

Could be because of the Kitbag deal. We can't do anything in the marketplace without them. Kenwright will rue the day he signed that deal, terrible piece of business!