Season 2011-12

Where was Bill Kenwright off to?

27 Comments: First  |  Last

Did anyone else see Kenwright driving out of the car park (at the Park End Stand) not more than 5 minutes before kickoff?

I found it a bit surprising no-one else has mentioned it. Any ideas?

Steve Ferns, Liverpool     Posted 02/10/2011 at 19:52:25

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 02/10/2011 at 20:07:15

I may be wrong but I don't think the live TV coverage included any shots of our Great and Beloved Leader... not to mention the obvious missed trick of a highly partisan crowd raring to salute his hallowed visage on the jumbotron.

Can someone sitting near the Directors Box shed any light?
Paul Niklas
2   Posted 02/10/2011 at 20:24:33

Take it from me, this is total rubbish. I sit in the Directors Box and Bill was there at the beginning and end and in the lounge after. Is there no end to some of the rubbish people make up to suit their cause.

He is a man that does not run away despite the issues people have with him or the club. Give him some credit, it is very sad to see the level people will go to to discredit him.
Robert Daniels
3   Posted 02/10/2011 at 20:21:22

He was off to meet the guy in the one-bedroom flat in Manchester...
Eugene Kelly
4   Posted 02/10/2011 at 20:54:49

Bill may well have left 5 mins before kick off. Probably after seeing that fool Atkinson was the ref. He knew we had no hope.
Michael Kenrick
5   Posted 02/10/2011 at 21:13:57

Thanks for clearing that up, Paul.

So back at ya, Steve. Did you actually see Bill driving away yourself? Or are you making it up, as Paul says??? That would perhaps explain why no-one else has mentioned it.

And how does this suit your cause.... whatever that is?

Perhaps a photo from your cellphone would help at this point... before I delete this entire thread.
John Daley
6   Posted 02/10/2011 at 21:23:52

He realised he'd forgotten his mother and had to go back for her?

John Daley
7   Posted 02/10/2011 at 21:43:31

Did an unexpected opportunity to secure new investment arise just prior to kick off? Maybe someone handed him one of those flyers promising 'real cash, right now' in exchange for his old gold jewellery?
Charlie Percival
8   Posted 02/10/2011 at 23:14:16

Well he was obviously meeting an investor
Steve Ferns
9   Posted 02/10/2011 at 23:19:59

I definately saw BK being driven away in a big black mercedes. It was definately him as he was not more than 5 yards away from me. He was getting a bit of stick off a few fans, I recall a "When are you going to sell the club Bill!" and a "Sell up Bill!".
Steve Ferns
10   Posted 02/10/2011 at 23:21:35

By the way I'm, not putting any spin on this, and I'm sure as it was extremely busy around there at this time, there will be more than a few who confirm this.
Cathal Naughton
11   Posted 02/10/2011 at 23:22:22

Maybe it was a hearce containing the reeking corpse of EFC corporate and merchandise.
Eric Myles
12   Posted 03/10/2011 at 03:40:09

He saw the queue for the pies and decided it would be quicker to nip out to the chippy to get one so he wouldn't miss the kick off.

His smug mug was definitely shown on the telly broadcast too.
Andy Hegan
13   Posted 03/10/2011 at 08:05:38

Steve # 9 no wonder he gets pissed off
Matthew Lovekin
14   Posted 03/10/2011 at 08:12:21

He went off to finalise the deal for wonderkid George Green...
Trevor Mackie
15   Posted 03/10/2011 at 10:26:57

It was a clown........sorry, "clone"......freudian slip
Marc Williams
16   Posted 03/10/2011 at 10:44:22

Trevor #16.... A freudian slip maybe but my 'insider' at Goodison reveals you are closer to the truth than you think.
Finances are so bad, that in order to raise cash, Kenwright has been moonlighting as childrens entertainer... Whiffo the clown.

I'm told that at 12.40pm last Saturday he rushed to 4-year-old Kyle's surprise party in Norris Green. By all accounts his famous routine, Where everything he touches turns to shite, went down a storm with the under-fives!

Steve Wolfe
17   Posted 03/10/2011 at 11:10:43

I can confirm I saw him aswell, he was being driven by a chauffer, and I was one of the people that was saying "How much are we for sale for?"

I had saw him at City last week; as he was entering the stadium we shouted "Bill, Bill!" to get his attention, he looked around and smiled and put his thumb up, but his face dropped, when I asked him "Where is the Fortress Fund money?" followed by "How much are we for sale for?" Needless to say he didn't answer me but he definitely heard me.
Eugene Ruane
18   Posted 03/10/2011 at 11:20:38

Hmmm...so, some say Mr Luvington-Spoof WAS there at the final whistle, others say he'd gone.

Don't know WHAT to believe now.

In these situations, the only way I can REALLY be sure of the truth (100%!) is to wait to hear what Elstone has to say.

Then I just go with the opposite of that.
Dave Wilson
19   Posted 03/10/2011 at 11:25:59

It seems both stories are true - although I think Steve OP is a little out with his timing

I thought my lad had spent a bit too long drinking in the sun when he told me BK had scarpered.

He was at the match so he couldn't have gone far.

Pie dinner from that chippie facing the church a better option to what was on offer in the lounge?
Steve Ferns
20   Posted 03/10/2011 at 16:33:55

Maybe it was a little more than five minutes, perhaps up to 15 minutes but certainly no more as I hardly had time for the toilet before taking my seat in time for kickoff.

It struck me as very odd behaviour for him to be leaving. It can't be investor related, surely he would have them wined and dined well in advance of kick-off before doing his dramatics to rack up the tension in the box just prior to kickoff. It must not be a TV engagement as it was too late for that, and surely he would walk. It must not be for pie and chips as he'd send out for them, Doddy would volunteer. Family emergency was the best i could come up with, but seeing as he was back before kick-off this seems unlikely.

I was and still am flumoxed. Also, from where i was sat, in line with the Goodison Road stand, I had no chance of seeing whether he came back or not and we never saw him on the big screen. I was just hoping someone else might shed some light on the unusual behaviour.
Tony Cheek
21   Posted 04/10/2011 at 05:30:40

He was off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!!
Eugene Ruane
22   Posted 04/10/2011 at 08:18:07

Tony (21) - Maybe not on a football related matter. My guess is that his visit was probably on behalf of one of his actor pals (nb: many in the profession are reputed to be 'friends of Dorothy').
Jeremy Benson
23   Posted 04/10/2011 at 09:17:57

Has it got that sad that people are tracking people's movements now?

Who cares where he was going?

Since apparently the george green deal was done just before/at the match, he may have just gone to pick the lad/agent up from nearby.

But really, does it matter? Bill strikes me as being one of the most visible chairman around at games, whether he is there at the start, finish, or not at all, does not matter a jot in the grand scheme of things. I was more bothered about what was happening on the pitch...
Sean Allinson
24   Posted 04/10/2011 at 09:39:39

The most likely answer is that, far from being driven away from the ground, having completed some business in the offices at the Park End, he was being driven to the main entrance on Goodison Rd. With the animosity that exists at the moment, there is no way he'd walk it. He could do the journey within the ground, but it's rather convoluted, and almost certainly brings him in contact with the fans.
Michael Mcloughlin
25   Posted 04/10/2011 at 19:20:02

I know I havce mentioned this before a couple of times. But I would like to know from Billy Boy, where our 3 potentila investors went to ????? He definitely said there were 3 or am I dreaming :-)
Trevor Mackie
26   Posted 04/10/2011 at 19:25:23

Michael, it's a great shout I honestly think the lack of follow up by Kenwright saying it's all a blowout or yep - were still talking shows he thinks we're all sheep.

Baaa - he might be right of course.
Steve Ferns
27   Posted 07/10/2011 at 16:54:35

Well I think it's now almost certain that I saw BK having concluded his business with the new signing, the young George Green, and then being driven at haste to make kickoff via the Goodison Road entrance.