Season 2011-12

Still Can't Believe It

16 Comments: First  |  Last

Having seen the Rodwell incident several times I still can't quite believe how such a decision could have been made.

Furthermore, I cannot believe, but fully expected, that both the BBC and Sky Goals On Sunday, whilst admitting that the decision was wrong, seemed more angry and focussed more attention to the fact that it was inconsistent and that Feline, Cahill (even though both feet were at equal height) should have been booked and that Hibbert should have been sent off also. No mention was made to Adam's professional foul on Osman in the first half or Lucas's second-half deliberate body check on Drenthe (I think) whilst on a yellow card.

Finally, whilst writing this at 14:18, how refreshing would it have been if the tosser Atkinson would have come out first thing in the morning, after watching it over the weekend, apologised and said "I got it wrong"? I will be writing to the FA to ask them to rescind the card.

Why does he have to wait for the FA to ask for his report? Ridiculous!
Sean O'Brien, London     Posted 03/10/2011 at 14:12:14

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Mike Keating
1   Posted 03/10/2011 at 15:25:19

I made comment on an earlier Mailbag article entitled What a Twat and suggested that fans should complain to the FA (I also said this on Radio 5's 606 phone in). I have now received a reply which I can post in full but basically they defend the referee on the general principle that they are human and cannot be expected to see everything!

They go on to say that every referee is assessed and that these reports are used to help appoint referees for the following season (so no likelihood of a reprimand for Atkinson this season).

The reports of this select band of referees is managed by Mike Riley who the FA refer me to in the following manner;

"The Select Group officiates in the Premier League and is the responsibility of Mike Riley, General Manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL). Premier League refereeing enquiries should be addressed to Mike Riley, The Premier League, 30 Gloucester Place, London W1U 8PL or via info@premierleague.com."

I have now done this and recommend that others do the same. If I get a reply I'll let you know what he has to say. COYB

Nick Entwistle
2   Posted 03/10/2011 at 15:35:49

This article states that The FA have no say in how refs are appointed for certain matches, though The Premier League (still not sure what the difference is there) will review the schedule.
Tom Winek
3   Posted 03/10/2011 at 15:37:27

Bad referring decisions made against teams outside the top 5-6 are quickly forgotten after a couple of days. Unfashionable teams like us and Wolves, who themselves were victim of some shocking referring last weekend, will never get an apology, a card rescinded or see the referee punished. Totally disillusioned.
Anthony Hughes
4   Posted 03/10/2011 at 16:00:52

Believe it, nothing surprises me anymore in this fucking game. I can't split which cunt i hate more, Atkinson or Suarez.
David Price
5   Posted 03/10/2011 at 16:10:18

Sean, comments totally accurate.
Yet another example of a ref's decision costing us a derby.
Can anyone remember us winning a game against them lot through a ref giving us a decisive call?
Because dating back to when i first saw the devils pact set first start in the 77 semi final i can't.
Michael Kenrick
6   Posted 03/10/2011 at 16:12:03

Nick, that's an odd article by Lipton. (Thanks for spotting it, btw.) Seems more like semantics. Okay, so it's not the FA, it's the PL... but really no, it's PGMOL... a limited company FFS?

Presumably the referees are their employees, and their services are provided to the PL for a fee? But surely the FA oversees refereeing standards in England? Or is that just for the non-professional referees? And the 'professional' ones are a law unto themselves?
Sean O'Brien
7   Posted 03/10/2011 at 16:40:48

Mike,
I have taken your advise and e mailed the premier league also.
The FA comments re everyone can make a mistake, whilst could be accepted (if he had not had such a clear view of the matter), it is amazing how they omit that it is the bigger man that after realising his mistake, then apologises or corrects it.

Anthony (4) - It is the scottish cnt I hate more. he spent the forst 3 weeks of the season moaning about borderline bad decisions against his precious shower of twats, yet the first WRONG decision that goes his way he happens to miss it.
David Price
8   Posted 03/10/2011 at 17:14:31

Just read the Lipton report, very odd assumptions. It's a board set up, to distance itself from the FA it seems, but the main man is Riley who does work for the FA.
A bit like owning a company, make yourself a director, so when it goes bust, the debts go away to administration.
I guess the FA can blame Riley if their shite hits the fan, such as corruption, bribery etc.
The scary thing also, after some easy research is the company that sponsors this board, so refs wear the logo ,is a company owned by the QPR owner. That can't be right can it ?
Wonder how many of the hedgefunders that invested in the shite have hands in his pockets as well, whilst overseeing the Asian markets and making sure Atkinson gets a nice discounted hotel stay in a 5 star hotel in Malaysia.
"Allegedly"
Steven Flynn
9   Posted 03/10/2011 at 18:08:24

I have sent a letter to Riley also asking him why Clattenburg hasnt been in charge of any Everton game since that derby
Nick Entwistle
10   Posted 03/10/2011 at 18:18:09

I think the Lipton article shows a system where its difficult for anyone to accept/ position responsibility.
So move along please, nothing to see here.
Tom Bowers
11   Posted 03/10/2011 at 18:22:12

It was the most amazing decision I have ever seen by a referee. If it had been a Man.Utd player Ferguson would be calling for Atkinson's head on a platter.
I had voiced my concerns earlier in the week about Atkinson reffing this game and so it transpired he got it all wrong and handed the game on a plate to Redshite after Everton had started brightly.
The F.A. if it has any guts and real credibility have to overturn the Red card immediately otherwise Atkinson and some of his equally inept pals will have an endorsement to flash red cards for any tackle that gets a reaction from players like Suarez.
I saw worse tackles in other Prem.games this weekend that were sure-fire red cards and got a yellow. Having said that Rodders tackle was as clean as you are likely to see even in regular time without slo-mo help.
I believe it is time for touchline appeals and instant T.V re-runs of such things like they have in cricket and American football. We have to arrest this situation now as referees even with the fourth official cannot make decisions regarding clear cut incidents.
I hate to think what would have happened to Atkinson in some South American countries.
Declan Brown
12   Posted 03/10/2011 at 18:28:43

Don't want to add salt into the wounds but the following facts speak for themselves.

In the last 4 Goodison Derby's, Liverpool have had 4 penalty's, Everton have had 4 players sent off.

Everton's last penalty at Anfield was back in December 1988 (Wayne Clarke).

Since the end of the 2nd world war we have had a total of 7 (SEVEN) penalty's given to us in the Derby's.

We have more chance of getting a decent and fair ref in the Derby than we do of getting a penalty.

That speaks for itself.
Jon Cox
13   Posted 03/10/2011 at 18:10:34

Really downhearted and despondent tonight.

Stuff like this has usually turned to anger by now. But it hasn't. I just can't be arsed anymore.

We know now that the game, at least in the PL is corrupt. Which ever angle we come at the problem from the answer always ends up the same. All roads lead to Rome or in this case corruption.

The two things that constantly play on my mind are firstly why no video tech?

The fourth official would have the over-riding say and in conjunction with the TV people would see, in less time than it takes to set up the ball for a free kick and sort the ten yards out, replays from at least four different camera angles. Not really much time wasted at all.

And anyway who gives a fuck about staying at the game for an extra ten minutes after the ninety. We all do it for extra time in a cup game and lets face it there's probably more riding on the three points for a league game than getting stuffed by teams like Yeovil.

Secondly, I just cant get my head around the fact that in the history of the PL it's the Scouse Derby that has accumilated the most red cards. Furthermore the Bastard that officiated our game, was the guy who had the record (this season I think?) for issuing the most red cards. Now I know I'm a cynical twat but someone somewhere has known these particular stats and defo acted upon it.

Before I finish one last thing. Perhaps It's because I dont subscribe to Peas in whistles weekly, but since when did Refs start to visit clubs days before a match.

Dont football clubs know the rules of the game or something? At best highly dubious.

To end two things should now happen. Either let the "Sky Icons" form a league with the other teams from the European Utopia, or, Give us, and more importantly the paying fans, Video Technology to finaly cut out the cancer of corruption WE KNOW is inherrant in the Premier League.

COYB

Jamie Tulacz
14   Posted 03/10/2011 at 19:43:48

Also don't quite understand the fuss being made about the Hibbert, Fellaini and Cahill tackles. For me having seen them again, nothing more than a yellow card for any of them. And the Cahill one, Adam had his foot equally high, just there a split second before.
Steven Flynn
15   Posted 03/10/2011 at 18:08:24

I have sent a letter to Riley also asking him why Clattenburg hasn't been in charge of any Everton game since that derby.
Tom Bowers
16   Posted 03/10/2011 at 23:14:57

If Rodders card is not overturned then the authorities will have displayed the biggest lack of guts since Chamberlain sucked up to Hitler in 1939.
Atkinson should get what Clattenburg got some years ago after clangers-moved down the leagues.
My biggest beef apart from Saturday is referees who aly down the law in a packed penalty area before a corner kick(ball not yet in play remember) and then lack the guts when the pushing, pulling and tugging starts all over again when the kick comes in except to call a non-existant foul on the keeper. This even goes unpunished in Euro games when there is an official behind the goal-go figure.