Season 2011-12

Return of the Scottish Rooney?

27 Comments: First  |  Last

May well be something in this report from Tribal Football

Seem McFadden is without a club (go figure) and Everton may be sniffing round.

First thought is that he struggled, consistently played on the wing and not behind the striker, a lá Bily.

Second thoughts are that we have enough attacking players who aren't strikers, but if it's for a season, why not?
Nick Entwistle, London     Posted 14/10/2011 at 13:29:20

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Stephen Kenny
1   Posted 14/10/2011 at 14:57:50

First thought - one of the worst websites for nonsense on the whole entire web, not just football related.

Second thought - Mcfadden was one of the worst players I have seen in our kit. He did have a decent dribble on him and would score the odd good goal, but couldn't see a pass, fit into any type of team style of play and ran up more blind alleys than stevie wonder.

I hope to god this is untrue. I couldn't believe that we got £5m for him. I'd have happily given him away for free.
Anthony Hughes
2   Posted 14/10/2011 at 15:01:34

No pace, no power in his shooting, no vision on the ball. No thanks.
John Daley
3   Posted 14/10/2011 at 15:07:09

I doubt it.

I nearly coughed up a lung when I heard Wolves had reportedly offered him £60,000 a week.

Injury prone, incredibly frustrating and possessed of really weird, patchy facial hair that looks like it belongs on a busker.
Alex Robinson
4   Posted 14/10/2011 at 15:51:49

He's in talks with Celtic now anyway. Scored a couple of crackers for us (that goal against Charlton will live long in the memory) but, apart from that, he was never really Premier League material. The SPL is his level.
Marc Williams
5   Posted 14/10/2011 at 16:26:38

He was always one of those 'next big thing' type of players. However, I think it spoke volumes that no top club was prepared to sign him, as you can be sure they'd all had a good look.

I think when we came in for him, it was his chance to step up & show he was capable of playing in a top league. I don't think he did; a few cracking goals but nowhere near as good as his hype.

If as John @ 3 suggests, Wolves made anywhere near that sort of offer, he should have snapped their hands off.
Chris Bannantyne
6   Posted 14/10/2011 at 17:29:54

Don't forget Blue Bill is giving Moyes some money in the next transfer window, so we will buy a better striker then... (yeah right).
David Mathieson
7   Posted 14/10/2011 at 18:24:16

I would have him on a free which I think means we can sign him now. He would have to be on low wages and a short contract as well rolling year by year would be fine by me.
Chris Downie
8   Posted 14/10/2011 at 19:52:57

Is this a wind up??
Jon Cox
9   Posted 14/10/2011 at 20:26:45

Dont forget, the guy is older, wiser and has (probably) more guile than when he first played for us.

I say get him. Free of charge, payed on a match to match basis, where's the problem?

Get the fucker in, in for a penny.....
Robert Daniels
10   Posted 14/10/2011 at 21:32:22

Moyes released Weir, Stubbs, and the left back Pistone, then brought them all back? When they couldn't find clubs.

Total bollocks, I think/hope, Barkley and Drenthe and Gueye, and Billy and Vellios etc will get less game time.

Bricks an all that!
Brian Foley
11   Posted 14/10/2011 at 21:44:27

As Alan Brazil would say er...................................NO
Peter Fearon
12   Posted 15/10/2011 at 02:34:15

Don't worry about it. As a new signing and as a forward, it is unlikely he would get any playing time for at least six months. Maybe he speaks Spanish and can keep Stracqualursi company on the bench until he goes back to Argie in May.
Mick Davies
13   Posted 15/10/2011 at 05:17:45

Post removed for spouting "are you a kopite" abuse

James Stewart
14   Posted 15/10/2011 at 17:15:00

More like the Scottish Bily... A big "No Thanks!!!"
Tom Bowers
15   Posted 15/10/2011 at 17:15:17

McFadden would not help Everton. He has skill but is one paced just like Osman. It would be a desperation aquisition after the Moyes no-brainers of letting Yaks and Becks go and not wanting to play Saha. He won't even start the 2 players he did bring in.

We are now a below average team with below average men running it and we will continue to struggle throughout this season and bringing back McFadden would compound the issue.
Domino Darkley
16   Posted 16/10/2011 at 01:46:49

It is like the late Walter Smith era and the silly signings of Gazza, Ginola and Blomquist.
Matt Traynor
17   Posted 16/10/2011 at 10:06:39

People gotta realise free transfers are anything but. As an example, Joey Barton's advisors apparently trousered almost £3m from QPR. That doesn't include the signing on fee for the player. Not saying McFadden's advisors would get anything near that but there would be a fee.

Secondly, if he were to get, say, £40k/wk on a 4 year deal - seems the going rate for average players, that's a liability on the books of £8m, with limited asset value.

The way wages have gone have completely changed how clubs need to balance books. Therefore a free transfer like that is, for Moyes, a big decision.
Peter Laing
18   Posted 16/10/2011 at 10:57:42

This speculation regarding McFadden demonstrates how far the club has fallen. With no disrespect to McFadden, we are well and truly dredging the bottom of the barrel and there are posters on here who continue to mock the Blue Union for their campaign for change.

McFadden has just been released by a club that was relegated; he has suffered two serious knee injuries, and will be looking for one final pay-cheque. The guy is very average at best, the odd wonder strike apart, he will offer Everton absolutely nothing in terms of attacking options.

I genuinely fear who is going to score the goals to keep Everton up. Play Vellios... untried and a big-risk but very little other options.
Domino Darkley
19   Posted 16/10/2011 at 12:26:08

When the Blue Union can name a billionaire who is chomping at the bit to buy the club only to be told to do one by Bill, then maybe we will stop "mocking" them.

But they can't.

Brian Waring
20   Posted 16/10/2011 at 16:23:59

Domino, it's not down to Blue Union to name a billionaire chomping at the bit to buy the club.

They are trying to find out what the fuck is going on with the "People's Club" by asking legitimate questions.
Trevor Mackie
21   Posted 16/10/2011 at 16:36:07

Domino ? you're a pizza; Brian Waring calls it right ? need info first.
Domino Darkley
22   Posted 17/10/2011 at 12:46:19

Sorry, chaps.

We are skint. We all know that.

You can't get anymore information from the club than that.

The only info we need to know from the Blue Union is how many bids from billionaires Mr. Kenwright has turned down. I'll hazard a guess. That they can't even name one. Because one doesn't exist.

The day the Blue Union produce some bloke with bottomless pockets who has been sent packing by Mr Kenwright is the day I will march up Spellow Lane along with them. Until then I will regard them as part of the problem at EFC.

They had put a dampener on the new season with their act of petty vindictiveness against Mr Kenwright over the tapes at the meeting even before Mr Moyes weighed in with the line-up against QPR.
Michael Kenrick
23   Posted 17/10/2011 at 16:34:32

Domino, I thought a number of people have provided evidence that Sheikh Mansour took a good long look at Everton before moving elsewhere to sink his billions.

I know you demand a lot for your smoking gun and I feel confident in saying that no-one who would convince you of that is likely to step forward and do so. However, my understanding is that the evidence is out there.

Perhaps the most compelling part of this tale is that he came looking around the time when Kenwright & Co were putting the sheets on the bed before they jumped in alongside Sir Terry, and together they put all their eggs in the basket labelled Destination Kirkby. They were probably so convinced of their own spin and the perceived upside from that scheme, it was probably all too easy to blow off the Sheikh.

And what of all these other suitors Bill himself boasts? Three a week? Ten times more than were interested in Liverpool??? What happens to them all? They can't all be living in single-bedroom flats in Manchester/Singapore.
Jalil Noor
24   Posted 17/10/2011 at 16:53:12

Hey I got a 3 bedroom flat in Singapre.. Can I buy the club?

I mean 3 bedroom is better than single bedroom right?
Domino Darkley
25   Posted 18/10/2011 at 18:21:43

"Domino, I thought a number of people have provided evidence that Sheikh Mansour took a good long look at Everton before moving elsewhere to sink his billions"

I am not interested in "evidence" that Mansour took a "look" at EFC.

Provide evidence that he actually had a bid turned down by Bill and I will join the next blue union march.
Gerry Quinn
26   Posted 18/10/2011 at 18:50:13

Michael K, can you contact me by e-mail, please?
Jimmi James
27   Posted 19/10/2011 at 13:00:38

Too late, lads ? we have got him, like it or not; in my case... not. God I hate to be so negative but maybe that's what being a blue means now, let's ask Davey!