Season 2011-12

Baxter and Garbutt

16 Comments: First  |  Last

Trying to distract myself from the gloom of the first team I must say I am pleasantly suprised by Jose Baxter's impact at Tranmere. He seems to have hit the ground running and is probably their most exciting player at the moment. I have also noted with interest Luke Garbutt making a similar impact at Cheltenham.

Good news for us blues as both will learn a lot whilst on loan. I would like to think that as of next season they may be ready to stake a claim for a subs spot on the first team bench.

I must say I have not heard much of Duffy whilst he has been away. Doeas anyone know how he has got on?
Lee Jamieson, Liverpool     Posted 17/10/2011 at 19:36:31

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Andy Crooks
1   Posted 17/10/2011 at 23:42:48

Good post, Lee. I wonder what Jose thinks about the signing of McFadden? Likewise Duffy must look at the efforts of Jags and wonder what is happening.What does Howard have to do to give Mucha a game?
Jon Ferguson
2   Posted 18/10/2011 at 08:45:14

I'm glad for Baxter that he is doing well at Tranmere but I just can't see him making it in the Premiership - would love to be proved wrong.

Garbutt on the other hand I see stepping up and being first choice for England. Learning from the best left back in the league at Everton will do him the world of good.
Rob Esteva
3   Posted 18/10/2011 at 09:15:38

I can see alot of Jose's development in the same way i saw Leon Osman's.....may be his early twenties when he learns to deal with physicality of the Premier League and how to retain and protect the ball better. This loan deal will make or break him i suspect....much like Ossie's did at Derby back in 2004.
Kieran Fitzgerald
4   Posted 18/10/2011 at 09:21:28

Duffy has played every game at Scunthorpe. Apparently their manager was very impressed with him at the end of the first month's loan and looked to keep him for a secon month.
Simon Atkins
5   Posted 18/10/2011 at 09:42:53

Got to be honest and say the one area that I really trust Moyes is whether the young players are going to make the grade or not.

Can anyone name one player that Moyes has let go as a youngster who has actually gone on to make the grade elsewhere? (I am not including Rooney in this as that was not his choice)
Lee Jamieson
6   Posted 18/10/2011 at 12:58:30

I have to agree with you Simon,the Duke,Agard, Kissock they have all gone on to oblivion whereas those he has shown faith in do seem to survive at the top level Osman,Anichebe,Rodwell,Coleman,Barkley and now Velios. The Gosling saga proves the club may have been right to hesitate over his contract and I notice that Vaughan is crocked again at Norwich. Moyes has his faults but he knows the level that is required. I wonder will Gueye make it as Moyes does not appear to have much faith in him thus far!
Shane Corcoran
7   Posted 18/10/2011 at 13:27:44

Andy, as much as I think Howard isn't up to scratch I think that Mucha would be worse. Check out his effort (or lack thereof) of saving Armenia's second goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkV6ZaoFH3s
Tom Bowers
8   Posted 18/10/2011 at 15:31:37

Moyes seems to have little faith in anyone except his favourites. For instance how many more scoreless games will he tolerate Cahill?

Timmie has done great at Goodison but it seems he has now lost his touch. Moyes seems to reward players who run and run and run but produce very little where it really matters.

Very few players sent out on loan from Goodison ever come back to establish themselves although Osman is an exception but I don't know why anymore.
Alex Baker
9   Posted 18/10/2011 at 19:02:50

Tom Bowers, another example would be Seamus Coleman at Blackpool but yeah, it certainly doesn't happen often.
Chad Schofield
10   Posted 19/10/2011 at 04:16:13

Sorry Jon but not sure what you're making your assumption on, given he's a 19 year old who's a fairly prolific scorer whenever given a chance and who's only opportunities in the first team have been cameos or out wide two years ago... He's scored two goals in four games at Tranmere, let's not write him off just yet because he's not built like Anichebe (who's dazzled).
Chris Fisher
11   Posted 19/10/2011 at 11:09:46

I have watched a lot of Baxter and he has found his level at Tranmere. I'm not being nasty to the lad, he's a local boy so I would love him to do well but at his age he should be being talked about like Rodwell and Barkley if he was going to be good enough. We could keep hold of him and he will just be another Osman; if that's what the club want then that's fine! I don't think I do though.
Liam Reilly
12   Posted 19/10/2011 at 12:45:07

Baxter?s a strange one, rated at Goodison, yet not enough to be handed a real opportunity in the first team. There's obviously something niggling Moyes about whether he can make the grade or not.

Agree that should he keep producing for Tranmere then he should be given a shot, if it doesn't work out then there's certainly a market in the lower leagues for him.
Geoff Edwards
13   Posted 19/10/2011 at 14:02:57

Not necessarily Chris. Didier Drogba was playing in the French Div2 at that age, I think even at the back. He only started making a name for himself at 25-ish. Some players develop later than others.
Sam Hoare
14   Posted 20/10/2011 at 14:15:35

A lot of people saying that Baxter is just another Osman. But iI'd settle for that!

The guy has got almost 300 games for Everton. he might not set the world alight but he is consistent, gives his all and by most accounts is thoroughly liked off the pitch.

Very few youth players are going to become world beaters. If they can become solid, dependable Premier League regulars like Osman then they can save or make us between £4-£8m. I don't see why Baxter couldn't do this if he works hard.
Ian Tunstead
15   Posted 20/10/2011 at 14:24:33

Consistanly poor Sam. But ye beggers cant be choosers so get Baxter in.
Robbie Muldoon
16   Posted 22/10/2011 at 18:27:10

Moyes is a cautious man, a youth player has got to be excellent to break through.