Season 2011-12

Losing Patience

23 Comments: First  |  Last

I don't have much to say about the state we are in just now, because more literate guys than I have said it all. However I did listen to 606 on the way back from our 'real' local footie game today and 2 things stood out.

First of all a Leicester fan complained that Mr Erricksson was useless, he has at least 3 good forwards on the books (one of which is Jermaine Beckford) but even at home he only ever plays 1 up front. (Sound familiar!)

They are also struggling in the Championship and it sounds like it's due to the Manager's reluctance to use the players he has (again, sound familiar). Jason Roberts then complained that 4-4-2 was hardly used anywhere nowadays and everyone was playing the same boring formation with 1 up front, ok if you have world class midfielders to back them up of course.

Secondly, I then heard the reports from the RS v Norwich game saying Norwich were a breath of fresh air because they had no fear playing at Anfield and took the game to the RS and fully deserved their point.

How is it that teams like Norwich can go there and have a go and yet we go to anyone and play for a draw, if we're lucky? Has Moyes totally lost the pelt, I think he has and I honestly think he's had his day, however I also can't see it changing any time soon.

Still depressed........
Russ Quinlan, Aberdeen     Posted 22/10/2011 at 21:09:05

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

John Crook
1   Posted 23/10/2011 at 09:45:57

I think Fulham will play a straight 4-4-2 with AJ and Zamora up front.

But it's true, no-one plays the old school 4-4-2 system anymore. Everyone packs the midfield and, as you say, if you have the world class midfielders that Utd, City and Chelsea have, and, to a lesser extent (now), Arsenal, not excluding Spurs and the Shite, have, then they have the quality to back that up or whatever formation they play.

Even for the period last season when Beckford was with Saha in the starting 11 (for a period of 4 or 5 games before Saha's injury), it wasn't a traditional 4-4-2 formation. Saha was so deep and was almost and extra midfielder.
Richard Dodd
2   Posted 23/10/2011 at 10:41:46

Talking of Norwich at Anfield, does anyone share my view that their goalie was Ruddy marvellous?
Domino Darkley
3   Posted 23/10/2011 at 10:54:27

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the Anfield game.

We went to City and Chelsea and just waited for them to break us down.

Norwich went to Anfield and attacked.

They did the same at OT and Chelsea,, BTW and were unlucky to be beaten in those games.

We just went to Stamford Bridge to get beaten.
Matt Traynor
4   Posted 23/10/2011 at 11:18:04

It's a sad indictment on his tenure that we have never won in the league at any of the Sky 4.
Mike Gwyer
5   Posted 23/10/2011 at 11:22:51

Matt

So I am in the know - can you let me know all the teams that have won at OT, Chelsea, City and Anfield over the past ten years. Shouldn't take you too long.

Ian Tunstead
6   Posted 23/10/2011 at 11:25:27

We also seemed to be "having a go" against the RS untill we were reduced to 10 men. Infact, i thought we still had a go with only 10.
Matt Traynor
7   Posted 23/10/2011 at 11:54:29

Mike, #3, I was referring to Arsenal, not City, as being members of the self-serving Sky 4...
Martin Mason
8   Posted 23/10/2011 at 11:55:23

It's called fear. Not losing is far more important than winning. See where Norwich are next year. Teams that play tend to get relegated.
David Mathieson
9   Posted 23/10/2011 at 12:17:34

Martin
"Not losing is far more important than winning"

Let's see, now, if you not lose every game over a season you would accrue a maximum 38 points, so we all know it is generally accepted 40 points is around the minimum for not being relegated.

It seems to me winning is far more important than "not losing".
David Mathieson
10   Posted 23/10/2011 at 12:18:41

Obvious "not lose" includes not winning in context
Martin Mason
11   Posted 23/10/2011 at 13:03:54

Sorry, what I meant by not losing being most important is that you live to fight again and for most clubs the odd win at home coupled with not losing the tricker games means you survive. Not losing means you have a chance to win, playing to win means you also have a high chance to lose.
Kevin Tully
12   Posted 23/10/2011 at 13:16:19

Someone mentioned the reason for our fear is Moyes not wanting to dent his reputation. I fully agree.

We are playing to keep the score respectable in some games, that is unacceptable.

I heard Lambert saying whatever happens at the big grounds, his team will have a go. He made changes when they were 1-0 down at Anfield, changing to 4-4-2 and bringing on a striker, with 56 mins gone.

Now, I cannot recall Moyes ever doing this, proof of his total fear of a spanking in recent games.

I really do think that when we get beaten badly, such as 6-1 by Arsenal at home a couple of seasons ago, it puts Moyes back years in his team selections.

Mr. Moyes has always been cautious, but now it is getting beyond a joke against the bigger teams.
Brian Hill
13   Posted 23/10/2011 at 13:31:45

For the first time in years, outside of the Derby, yesterday I watched the the RS of my own free will. The reason for watching was to see how Norwich played, as several TW correspondents have named Paul Lambert as a potential successor to Moyes.

At no time did Norwich's players act inferior to the RS. They were sent out to try to win. I did not see any interview with Lambert before the game wherein he indicated that his team could not compete because of financial limitations.

The only Norwich player I had heard of was Ruddy, our ex-keeper, who played superbly, able to catch crosses, unlike you know who. According to the the commentators, who were obviously very RS (big 4/5) biased, Norwich were very unlucky to lose against Utd and Chelski.

So, Moyes "we are skint" defenders, why can't we make even a minimal attempt to win against anyone? Just wait for the team sheet against Fulham. If it's anything other than 4-5-1 then I'll eat my keyboard. I am so sick of Moyes miserable excuses. If he doesn't like it, then resign.

Tony J Williams
14   Posted 23/10/2011 at 15:38:21

Brian, from what I heard, Liverpool should have been out of sight before the Canaries equalised. How is that having a go of it?
Chad Schofield
15   Posted 23/10/2011 at 16:00:57

Don't worry, the "death of 4-4-2" is already being decreed because Man Utd, who use wingers, lost 6-1.
David Hallwood
16   Posted 23/10/2011 at 16:38:54

Great Norwich team, with no 'stars' and taking on the big boys and not disgracing themselves. Good young manager who plays good attacking football ? we need someone like that for the team.

What's that? We did get him! Oh yes, I forgot about Mike Walker, or should that be I've erased him from my mind.
Jay Harris
17   Posted 24/10/2011 at 04:13:41

I hate to say it but the RS hit the woodwork 3 times and Suarez miised a bag full.

Norwich were very lucky to be still in the game never mind equalise.

Why cant we be happy that we won 3-1 today and Drenthe and Rodwell both had great games.

Now if we can just put pressure on the manager to play Ross Barkley instead of Ossie on the flanks... we might win a few more.
Dave Roberts
18   Posted 24/10/2011 at 09:14:51

Somebody mentioned the Manc derby above so can I chip in with my thoughts about that game? It is indirectly to do with Everton, honest!

I find that result to be very worrying. It doesn't matter one jot to me that Utd got tonked by their noisy neighbours but the result goes a long way to dispelling the much mooted idea that you can't buy success without a very long period of 'football development' running parallel with spending loads of dosh. Three years ago City were shite yet they have scoured the world buying almost everybody they wanted and now, having won the cup last year, after 34 years of nowt, they are on the cusp of winning the league. I know they haven't won it yet but they are so far ahead of everybody else now that I think it is almost inevitable.

There have always been clubs that were richer than others but this didn't always mean that the poorer clubs won nothing. This was because the disparity was relatively small compared with today's yawning chasms between rich and poor. The way the game is going nowadays though, with the cost of players and wages making it certain that only a few clubs can afford the best and poorer clubs will have increasing difficulty keeping their better players, the game is being ushered down a cul-de-sac where only one or two clubs will ever be able to win anything.

Shame.
Tom Hughes
19   Posted 24/10/2011 at 09:42:02

Dave, we've been in that cul de sac for quite a while. The worry that the established elite have is that city are going to break up their happy little arrangement.... and what they have budgetted for is no longer a certainty.
Trevor Mackie
20   Posted 24/10/2011 at 09:40:21

I want Citeh to win everything this year and go on to dominate the CL.

Only whining from the likes of Manu, Barca, Milan etc about financial unfairness (oh the fuckin' irony) will bring change.
Brian Lawlor
21   Posted 24/10/2011 at 10:16:57

The shite hit the woodwork 4 times and Ruddy made some incredible saves. Nowrich were lucky.

Do you want us to play the type of gun ho attacking football like Blackpool who were also a 'breath of fresh air'? What happened to them?
Trevor Mackie
22   Posted 24/10/2011 at 10:39:44

Brian

Who's advocating going gung ho?
Andrew Ellams
23   Posted 24/10/2011 at 11:16:28

After our result yesterday, I would like to give our manager some credit for playing Roysten Drenthe on the right wing. If this guy gets a run of games on that side he is going to terrify the life out of defenders coming inside and heading for goal. Kanchelskis anybody?