Season 2011-12

32 Comments: First  |  Last

,     Posted at

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
1   Posted 25/10/2011 at 00:36:10

I'd get used to it, Alan, because it's only going to get worse...
Steve Barr
2   Posted 25/10/2011 at 01:27:52

Alan,

We all feel your pain and disappointment.

Unfortunately this love affair with the "rich few" is a recipe for disaster as far as football in England is concerned, never mind Everton.

The media is completely abdicating its responsibility to provide fair and unbiased coverage across the board.

Just look at the blogs on the BBC's web site. one of its many contributors continue to focus on the "wonderous strategies and tactics" employed by the management of the big four or five! Just read the recent sycophantic drivel put out about the tactical genius of Mancini in beating Manure this weekend.

Can they seriously be putting Man City's recent rise up the league, culminating in this weekend's slaughter of Manure, down to great management and tactics!?

It's quite simple, you spend millions of pounds on the world's best players and the odds are you will be one of the best teams!

Ask Mancini, SAF, and a few others to manage and coach one of the less wealthy Premier League clubs and see where they end up.

The media has got to be taken to task and stop pandering to the wealthy few by bestowing them with some kind of tactical and management genius. Rather, put it down to what it is, good fortune that they happen to be a manager of a very wealthy club with unlimited funds, and focus on the real coaches who are actually earning their salaries and actually using their management, coaching and management skills to stay in the league.
Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 25/10/2011 at 09:06:23

This is where the lovely internet plays its hand. Haven't been to the pub to watch an Everton game all season and the streams are so much better than even two years ago. Plus, I split half the screen for the match, half for the live forum. Great stuff. As for football magazine programmes, never watch them. Sports reporting has moved on to puff piece promotion. Ugh.
Alan Rooney
4   Posted 25/10/2011 at 09:13:01

Agree with you Nick and Steve. Virtually all of the Saturday Telegraph's sports section dedicated to football covered the Manchester derby which would be taking place on....... the Sunday. So what did the Sunday Telegraph have to write about? No idea, but I just knew it wouldn't be about the other Sunday matches.

And whilst living in the southwest I am reliant on internet streaming and the fast forward button on MotD, that is far less social than sharing a beer with a few mates, but I am getting used to it.
Chris Lawlor
5   Posted 25/10/2011 at 09:58:12

Too true Alan, the media are only interested in advertising revenue hence the dominance of the big boys on all live games this season. I've already cancelled my ESPN subscription as we're only scheduled to be on 3 times this season.

The total imbalance in all aspects of the Premier league has diminished my interest if I'm totally honest, most of the time I only watch our match highlights and can't be arsed with the rest. I've taken to watching la liga a lot more this season... Keep an eye on Levante... They are showing everyone that small clubs can take on the big boys!!

Hope all is well back home on Leeside... I'm originally from Blackrock.
Chad Schofield
6   Posted 25/10/2011 at 10:24:06

As much as I don't like it, Everton and Liverpool had much the same in the mid eighties.

Not sure if Saint and Grievsie was a better overview than the multitude of options today.
Chris Bannantyne
7   Posted 25/10/2011 at 10:46:18

I can watch all the games live here in Australia, so Idon't have too much to complain about. I have, however, noticed on the Premier League highlights program Everton are nearly always last (unless they played one of the 'big' teams).

This week, for example, the Manchester derby was shown first, and yeah fair enough, there was plenty to see there. But the Everton game was second last! The complete dross that was Stoke v Arsenal, Rangers v Chelsea and Blackburn v whoever was shown before the Fulham v Everton game.

Now I don't care if you don't like either Fulham or Everton, the four goals in that game were amongst the best of the round, surely people want to see that?

When we have a shitty nil-all draw, sure put us to the back of the queue, but seriously, there was some sweet highlights this week, even if the middle of the game sucked a bit. Bloody arseholes.
Danny Biddle
8   Posted 25/10/2011 at 10:50:59

For years every Man Utd game has been on Sky. League, cup, pre-season and even testimonials! As well as all the coverage they get, comes a fat wedge of s to go with it. Then there is the fact that all the youngsters only see them on TV and start to support them thus giving them future revenue to increase their dominance!

And as for us having coverage in the mid eighties, does it really compare to the coverage on ManU TV.... I mean Sky Sports nowadays?
Brian Denton
9   Posted 25/10/2011 at 10:49:09

Chad - emphatically not ! Liverpool might have had that adulation, but we didn't. I have still got Jimmy Hill's reply to my letter complaining that Everton's first home appearance on Match of the Day proper (as opposed to the Mickey Mouse news cameras) in 1984-85 was not until APRIL in a season when we were battering all before us. In 1986-87 I can also recall a sickening piece of drooling when Patrick Barclay of The Guardian wrote "If Liverpool are top when the clocks go back, it's time to start winding down the Championship..." though as it turned out we won it.

I am getting really pissed off by this hairshirt stuff ? 'we were just like CIty in the sixties with our millions' etc ? the clear implication being that we are hypocrites. In my nearly fifty years of following Everton, we have NEVER been media darlings. Does anybody remember that famous picture in one of the London papers where our 1984-85 team photo had all the faces blanked out, with the caption something like 'the unknown contenders'?

If you're a Blue, you know the media will shit on you. So you don't lie under the shower bleating "I used to do this once, so it's ok". Especially when you didn't.
John Ford
10   Posted 25/10/2011 at 10:52:44

Chad im not sure it was quite the same in the 80s, though I agree we certainly had a higher percentage of the media attention.

There were very few live games then and no Sky. Also there wasn't the same constant football media driven momentum which maintains itself on non stories and trivial crap. Sky, 5Live and TalkSport rely on constant 24-hr sports 'coverage'. Add in the newspapers who buy into this ? it means that the better (i.e richer) teams get proportionally much more focus than the better (i.e managers/players doing a good job) teams in the 80s.

I've reached the stage now where I watch football with the sound down, and try to avoid things like MotD and much of the media generated football product, expert analysis, comment, news articles, radio reporting etc. It's just too much about money clubs and ... well... just too fuckin much all round! It's a depressing development in the game.
Chris Wright
11   Posted 25/10/2011 at 12:25:33

The problem is, this then gives more credance when the big 4 and Liverpool say they want more of a share of the TV money as they are on more. I know it's only foreign rights at the moment, but the domestic will be next. You already get more money the more times you are on TV so it just helps the rich to get richer.

I saw something the other week when the foreign TV rights issue was being discussed, that over the last 5 years Liverpool had earnt 160 million more than Bolton in TV rights. I'm guessing part of this is Champions League but it does show the inequality.
Franny Porter
12   Posted 25/10/2011 at 12:51:10

You also need to take into account the fact that we are one of the most fucking boring teams in the Premier League for neutrals to tune into. Good result on Sunday, granted, but entertainment wise, we bore the shit out of me ? and I support Everton!
Steve Guy
13   Posted 25/10/2011 at 13:03:35

You can't compare media coverage now with the 80s; you might as well compare chalk and cheese.

Nowadays you have to force your way onto the media's radar like City have done; they simply can't be ignored now. Other Clubs are media darlings and I never understand why; perennial under achievers like Newcastle and Villa.

Our chance to break in came in the 80s. I remember Clough in the commentary on the Rotterdam Final saying how he thought Everton would go on to dominate Europe for the foreseeable future. He was right, they would have done and that momentum would have seen us capitalise on the TV revolution of the early 90s, but we all know what happened next....
Domino Darkley
14   Posted 25/10/2011 at 13:27:57

I don't see what the problem is.

The rest was a toss up.

Wolves v City (which, BTW, is totally different to saying City v Wolves as you do in your OP and which would be an altogether less attractive a fixture) is as worthy of coverage as our game.

Blackburn v Newcastle or Stoke v Liverpool would also be interesting fixtures for coverage.

Sorry, Alan, but I feel you are complaining for complaining's sake.

Anyway.....I am sure you will be able to watch the game on a stream.
Shaun Sparke
15   Posted 25/10/2011 at 13:48:48

Steve, you?re not allowed to mention that anymore. We are just a load of bitter blues if you bring that subject up again. We were League Champions in 1914-15 and looked set to remain champions for a long time. That was until Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria got himself shot and all hell was let loose in Europe thus postponing football until 1919 by which time half our team had been killed in action and the other half were too old to carry on playing

Fast forward to 1938-39 and once again Everton were League Champions and looked set for a spell of domestic dominance. Then blow me, doesn?t that Hitler bloke decide to invade Poland thus dragging us into another war. Yes, you guessed it the league was suspended until 1946-47 leaving our heroes kicking Jerry instead of footballs.

Moving further forward to 1984-85, we were League Champions again and looked forward to dominating Europe in our own way. Yes the rest is history... But we are not bitter, we are not bitter, we are not bitter.

This therapy just isn?t working!
Steve Barr
16   Posted 25/10/2011 at 14:51:57

Nice one Shaun.

I had a rocking horse and it just died.

Proof I'm an Evertonian!
Danny Biddle
17   Posted 25/10/2011 at 15:03:45

Domino #14 - Aldershop v United is a "true" cup tie in the David v Goliath tradition of cup ties and as such was the fixture that jumped out as a televised fixture when the draw was made.

I agree but, the fact is their game would have been on TV no matter who their reserves were playing.

I must admit that i do have an alterior motive on this issue. It's my brothers birthday today and were supposed to be going out. He is (sad to say) a Man Utd fan and has cancelled to watch his beloved reserves play! Well if he thinks i'll go out with him tomorrow he's going to get some abuse i can tell ya!!!
Trevor Mackie
18   Posted 25/10/2011 at 15:32:08

The media go where the news is - mediocrity ain't news.

Disagree with us not getting attention in the 80s, living in the midlands the nationals were full of us, trouble is we only lasted 5 mins before drifting into obscurity again.

This Heysel thing - as much as I hate the red heathen it was the same for everyone - ignoring the lack of vision that's blighted this club for decades and blaming Heysel is a copout.
Brian Denton
19   Posted 25/10/2011 at 15:46:01

Trevor - ah, the old hairshirt again......
John Ford
20   Posted 25/10/2011 at 15:45:39

Even in the times throughout Moyes's reign when we've played some really good stuff, we still get treated like plucky upstarts or completely patronised by the press.
Steve Guy
21   Posted 25/10/2011 at 15:50:26

Trevor, it was not the same for everyone. We were in the ascendancy and most other Clubs were floundering in our wake. Even when the ban was over we didn't get a fair shake and the RS got the same ban as everyone else. How is any of that a level playing field ?

Separately I for one am not saying that we didn't get coverage in the 80's, but can you imagine if the revenue streams available from Sky etc had been available to us then ? Hence my chalk and cheese analogy.
Brian Denton
22   Posted 25/10/2011 at 15:56:41

The point is, if we don't stick up for ourselves no other fucker is going to. I don't know about Bitter Blues; we've got an awful lot of Self-Loathing Blues for sure.
Trevor Mackie
23   Posted 25/10/2011 at 16:08:17

Truth is we're mediocre, when City were we never saw a word written about them, ditto Chels pre their upturn.

Living outside the area I can tell you even the RS coverage is waning - nothing to do with hairshirts or self loathing we're just a non-entity.

I have a checked fleecey lumberjack type shirt.

I wore it for felling a leylandii in the garden a few weeks ago if that helps.
Domino Darkley
24   Posted 25/10/2011 at 16:01:12

The simple fact is that when the Sky gravy train left the station EFC were left standing on the platform.

Remember, we were one of the "Big 5" clubs which forced the EPL upon us.

But as usual, we had no men of vision at the helm to take advantage of it.

Instead we were lumbered with a fucking Christmas hamper salesman from the Wirral.

And any time the club did make a bold statement of intent the malcontents who would later coalesce in the blue union blocked the road.

They didn't want the King's Dock (despite whet they tell you now) and they regarded a move to Kirkby as akin to moving to Mars.

Kirkby, FCOL.

Oh, no.....so long as they could sup in the Blue House ot the Winslow or the Chepstow or the Royal Oak all was well in their world.

EFC became stranded in a world where myopic man in the boardroom and on the terraces ruled.....as the football world moved on, we stayed put.

And that is why we have fallen so far behind teams like Liverpool and Arsenal and Manchester United in terms of media appeal ove the past twenty years.

But of course, that could all change some day.

If EFC had been bought by an Abramovich or Mansoor and billions had been poured in here then we would be as hyped up and talked about as City and Chelsea, two clubs which we absolutely dwarfed a mere ten years ago.

So let's not wollow in self pity re our lack of TV exposure.

EFC have brought it all on oureslves.

Sky TV isn't a charity....they are out to make money ergo they will want to sell subscriptions and advertising slots and I am afraid we just have to accept that United and Liverpool will bring more of that in than Everton 2011.
Chad Schofield
25   Posted 25/10/2011 at 17:29:56

OK, I hold my hands up... I was a young kid in the 80s, so my memory of it all is not really a true reflection of what was going on.
Gerry Quinn
26   Posted 25/10/2011 at 17:40:47

What a great story about Aldershot ? hope they win. This is the kind of heart-warming stuff that makes football in the UK what it is ? and such a refreshing story away from the usual EPL top 4 shite.....

Gerry Quinn
27   Posted 25/10/2011 at 17:43:05

Sorry, had to throw that one in ? as it is unusual (uncommon) to read such stories on the BBC
David Donnellan
28   Posted 25/10/2011 at 18:09:28

Last season at this stage, i'm sure we had been on sky/espn a lot more than we have this season.
Apart from the Aldershot game, i think our game was the standout tie of the round & was sure it would be shown on tv, but i guess i was wrong...
Talking about media coverage, i noticed that Talksport radio were advertising their coverage of the Manchester derby, as "the biggest derby in the world", since when??
Chris Leyland
29   Posted 25/10/2011 at 20:00:16

David- since talksport got the coverage rights for that game! I think it is called marketing. Everton used to do this once, along time ago. We actually had a quite decent People's club strap line until a few years ago. It tried to sum up what we were and it really pissed off the redshirted too, so job done on one score. We don't market anymore as we sold our rights to Kitbag for all our merchandising.

By the way, why was there no headline Kenwrights exclusive- Shitbag sells out to Kitbag
Ian Bennett
30   Posted 25/10/2011 at 20:44:06

Shaun, on that basis, Everton must be the most successful team in English League history.

No-one took our crown off us during the war years... so 9 league championships plus 4 the WW1 years plus 7 WW2 years = 20 years of titles

In your face Liverpool and United!
Shaun Sparke
31   Posted 25/10/2011 at 22:03:28

Ian, your optimistic outlook on life has cheered me up. I never thought of it like that before.

We are the true champions
David Donnellan
32   Posted 26/10/2011 at 18:56:33

Chris - Yeah, youre right it is marketing, but it is also false advertising. Take your point on the peoples club strap line though.