Season 2011-12

Ossie bashing again

53 Comments: First  |  Last

Let me start by saying, if you could pick a player who could get into the Barcelona side from this present Everton side, my answer would be Leon Osmam all day long. So, in my opinion only, why has Ossie again become the whipping boy? (Along with Bily.)

Picture Xavi in this side; I'm not saying Ossie is as good but the lad has great feet, but Xavi would struggle.

Why Ossie? Because he has quick feet and is not the strongest of players physically, needs one-touch players around him, as Xavi has; we have not.
We did, with Arteta, Pienaar and Cahill, Saha could also join in.

Who can play with Ossie?

? Rodwell? I don't see him as a midfielder.
? Fellaini? He's not a give-and-go player who only plays well against the big boys, any idea why?
? Coleman as a fullback... and...
? Bily, who is not played in his rightful position.

Agree?
Colin Malone, Meols     Posted 30/10/2011 at 18:44:36

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Tommy Heskrth
1   Posted 30/10/2011 at 21:08:02

Colin,

Can I have some of what of you've been smoking/drinking. Even mentioning Ossie with Barcelona you muts be nuts, yeah he's got great feet, so did Fred Astaire & Frank John Travolta.

Both of whom never wore the Blue shirt and the same should be said of Ossie as he is not a premiership player, too lightweight, piss poor shot, although he does get the I should have been a free kick look down to a tee as he's been blown over by the wind
Luke O'Farrell
2   Posted 30/10/2011 at 21:22:53

The players in the Barca team also have either pace, strength or both to go with their technical ability.

Just having good feet doesn't make you a good player. The reason people are bashing Osman again is simply because he has been off form the past few games.

Earlier on in the season, nobody was complaining because he wasn't playing badly. People are just knocking him for the sake of it. He was invisible against United and Chelsea in our last few games.

The Bily situation is simple. He struggles as a left winger, but only ever gets played there. He deserves a chance playing behind the striker but I don't think he's ever going to get it.
Wayne McNee
3   Posted 30/10/2011 at 21:26:02

It's Halloween, not April Fools!
Barcelona ... My arse!
Trevor Mackie
4   Posted 30/10/2011 at 21:17:30

Colin

The general point being who you regard as "footballers" I agree.

The purest we have is Saha, if it wasn't for his constant injuries he wouldn't be here he looks around sometimes as though he can't believe whats going on.

Ossie gets hammered but he can play football, similarly Bily, when he arrived unmolested by Moyes he showed promise.

The shame of it all is we'll never know how good these players can be because Moyes plays them out of position and is generally peculiar.
John Daley
5   Posted 30/10/2011 at 21:39:08

"Bily, when he arrived unmolested by Moyes"

Now, I've heard Moyes accused of many things but...

I've just got this image now of Bily waking up with a look of sheer terror on his face as he hears Moyes creeping into his bedroom again. Bit like the look on his face on Saturday whenever the ball came anywhere near him.
Sean McCarthy
6   Posted 30/10/2011 at 21:39:33

Am I the only one who doesn't see it with Coleman?? He definately isn't a right back on the basis he can't tackle and has zero positional sense. He's a one trick pony with that trick being pace. When he runs with the ball it's never under control and half the time he runs past himself!! He was something new when he 1st appeared on the scene and described as raw talent. Well 12 months or so on from that and like several before him he can be put on that list marked "champioship player".
He never gets analysed on here other than the chorus of those screaming for him to be right back for some unfathomable reason!!
I guess it's easier to slag the usual suspects of osman Neville and hibbert off and leave others alone
Oh and one last thing.....osman and Barcelona in the same sentance?? Not everyday you see that!!!
Dick Fearon
7   Posted 30/10/2011 at 21:35:41

Colin, By dreaming of Ossie wearing the Barca shirt is a sure sign that you and anyone of the same mind are around the twist.
Among many Barca strong points is its players strength on the ball and speed of movement off it. Their midfield is tigerish in the tackle and known for its ability to to regain possession very quickly should a move break down.
Leon is incapable of those few things yet there also is the power and accuracy of Barcas shots on goal. Their all physical strength, speed and agility are far beyond what little is in Leon's armoury .
Before this crazy Osman for Barca farce takes hold here is a question for you all Leons fans;
Spot the odd one out, Iniesta- Messi- Osman- Xavi- Villa- Fabregaz- Adriano.
I could submit half dozen more but I guess those few are more than enough to highlight how silly the idea is.
Dick Fearon
8   Posted 30/10/2011 at 21:52:54

Trevor # 4, Where is this mysterious position that Ossie will shine in?
So far in this season only He has played Left Right and only the other day, Centre. I have not seen him play at Centre Forward or in the backline or in goal. Is any of those his best position?
Adam Wilkinson
9   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:13:22

I think, when on form, Osman is absolute class and a TRUE Evertonian.
Danny Broderick
10   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:26:39

Ossie's a great squad man - he is played all over the shop,runs his bollocks off and never sulks. He also carried us in the 2nd half of last season. When he's on form he's a cracking little player,but since we've sold Arteta & Pienaar,he's only really got Fellaini to link up with. He needs the team to be playing well around him to be effective.
Some of you lot have got short memories -he's done far more good than bad for Everton.
Simon Harris
11   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:28:45

There's no doubt Osman is a skillful footballer, but he's hit and miss.

He was anonymous yesterday and it was a surprise he lasted 75 minutes before being replaced.
Andrew Laird
12   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:22:03

A few questions Colin:

1: Are you Osman's agent?
2: Have you in the last few hours been exposed to alcohol or recreational drugs?
3: Have you ever actually seen Xavi play football?
4: Have you ever actually seen Barcelona play football?
5: Are you talking about the Barcelona Under-14s?
Lee Courtliff
13   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:34:54

To mention Barca is a bit of a stretch but i do think he would do well on the continent.

The game is slower and nowhere near as physical so i think Leon would have had a good career in somewhere like Spain or France.

Maybe not for the Champions of that country but certainly a top ten side. A bit like Everton.

I like him and i think he gets a bit of a raw deal on here. He does go over easy though.
James Martin
14   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:34:25

I'm with you, Colin, in his rightful position, Osman has shown against top opposition that he can be a top player. Big wins against Man Utd, Chelsea and Fiorentina have all come with Osman playing in centre-mid. Not off the striker or on the wing where he gets found out for pace.

Great players in the past haven't had pace but they haven't been hung out to dry out of their natural position to accomodate athletes who can't play football like Fellaini and Rodwell. Neither have a footballing brain, neither has a good first touch, nor can pick a pass; neither gets as many goals as Osman would get from midfield.

In a team crying out for creativity, offensive threat, intelligent midfield play, and player loyalty, Osman ticks all of these boxes. Fellaini and Jagielka are performing horrifically yet seem immune to criticism, Baines can't really defend yet it is always Hibbert who is slated, even when we're playing well. Osman along with Saha are the best techinical footballers at Everton and if we really do have any aspirations to get back to being the School of Science then we should be putting players like this in the team rather than laborous workhorses who do nothing but run and defend (badly in Fellaini's & Rodwell's case).
Mike Williams
15   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:45:59

Wow.

Osman can't get near the England squad but could play first team football for Barcelona?!? Not on any planet in this Universe.

I assume Tony Hibbert is playing for Real Madrid in this wonderful world you live in.

My god, that has got to be the funniest thing I have ever read on here.
Trevor Mackie
16   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:59:33

Dick @ 8

I've read your stuff on Osman.

I believe if we could disguise Messi as Osman for a game and he scored 4 you'd still call him, suffice to say his better games have been in the centre of midfield.
Alex Kociuba
17   Posted 30/10/2011 at 23:07:17

"Osman can't get near the England squad but could play first team football for Barcelona?!?"

Surely any of the Barce players, if English by nationality would walk into the England team?
Bobby Thomas
18   Posted 30/10/2011 at 22:56:07

James (14), Fellaini doesn't have a good first touch? Absolute nonsense. His touch and control are one of the best aspects of his game. Also, I wouldn't call him a "laborous workhorse" that just runs.

One of the things people use against him is the rather languid style he has. This is, in part, contributed to by his great first touch and good awareness. I think his positional play can be poor at times, he is still developing, and this has led to us being a little easier to play through than we were, especially 3/4 seasons ago.

I also don't think Rodwell has a bad first touch either!! He is an extremely two-footed, natural player, who for me is in danger of becoming the next Jermaine Jenas, a silky underachiever. I feel there is a great deal more in him. Also, neither are likely to score goals when they play as deep as they do. I actually think we need some legs in midfield.

As for Saha, if it wasn't for the injuries, he could have played for anyone. It's a shame but the constant stop-start nature of his existence means it's very rare he can play full tilt and is really sharp. Truth is he's on the finish; shame how his career worked out... great player.
Derek Thomas
19   Posted 30/10/2011 at 23:50:38

So here we have it. Ossie is the first Reverse Bumblebee of Everton...bear with me I can explain.

All the experts can prove catagorically that Bumblebees should not be able to fly, wing to mass ratio etc.

But here in the real world of my back garden what do I SEE, well in the summer anyway...yes you guessed it Bumblebees.

All the experts can catagorically prove that Ossie ( and Bily for that matter ) is a decent footballer of up to Barca standard, quick feet, football brain etc

Yet here in the real world of my Goodison back garden what do I SEE.......................
Ste Traverse
20   Posted 30/10/2011 at 23:57:03

Osman would get in the Barcelona side? Are you taking the piss?

Who would he replace? Iniesta? Xavi? Messi?
Andy Crooks
21   Posted 31/10/2011 at 00:18:45

Well done,Colin,you've written the best opening sentence to any post I've ever read on Toffeeweb. Get into advertising now.
John Ford
22   Posted 31/10/2011 at 00:44:08

I did laugh when I read the first sentence but in illustrating a point you're probably right, Ossie has got a good touch and quick feet.

Unfortunately he's one of the reasons we're now struggling. He needs to do a job for us more than ever, esp with the loss of key players over the past two seasons.

With him Cahill, Baines and Jags not performing we've struggled. Add Rodwells limitations and things aint so good.
James Stewart
23   Posted 31/10/2011 at 01:31:09

There is only one player who could hold his own at Barca and that sure aint Osman!!!!

Baines could quite easily play for any side.

The rest of our squad wouldn't make the barca u15's!
Daniel Cross
24   Posted 31/10/2011 at 02:31:53

Every shit game that Osman plays means one game closer to the form he showed us towards the end of last season, everyone is allowed to go through a poor spell, look at Baines, the guy who can do no wrong but i would say he has been one of the big under performers of the season. Yes, Osman has his faults but when he gets back to his best we will soon see what a vital player he is for us.
Jamie Sweet
25   Posted 31/10/2011 at 02:48:45

Haaaaa ha ha ha! Nice one Colin... Ossie capable of playing for Barcelona! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Stop it, my sides are aching!

Right... and breathe... and prepare to make a serious comment.....

Haaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha! Sorry I can't.

I don't even think he'd get a game for Norwich City right now.

Best laugh I've had in ages though - thanks!
Mike Gwyer
26   Posted 31/10/2011 at 08:41:50

Colin.

Do you go to Goodison. Do you watch the shite that we play.

You talk so much shit in just two paragraphs: Billy - being the ultra pro who Moyes has somehow turned into a total waste of 9 million, you then trump that with Osman + Barcelona + football - all in the same sentence. Not happy with that lot, you state that Xavi would struggle in Everton's first 11 and Fellani lets Osman down with his lack of one touch football. After reading that lot I KNOW you are never at GP.

If you take a look we are two places off relegation. How often do we score a goal from open play - our midfield could not make a scoring pass to save their lives. Tell me, what source enabled you to dream up the shite that you posted?

Jason Lam
27   Posted 31/10/2011 at 09:35:43

Someone posted a few days back that he heard 'on authority' that Moyes reads these pages.

Change that to Moyes submits articles too.

Fucking hell you couldn't make that up erm 'Colin'
Tony J Williams
28   Posted 31/10/2011 at 09:29:07

To be fair, Ian Wilson would have looked good in this Barcelona midfield....if he could keep up with them.

The main difference would be that his team mates would actually move into space and look for the pass and not link up with the oppositions defence and fall over when the ball comes near them.

Ossie wouldn't look out of place because he moves and looks for passes
Tony Marsh
29   Posted 31/10/2011 at 12:07:28

Ha ha ha! Osman is one of the luckiest footballers on the planet. Only a mug like Moyes would put up with him for so long.

Barcelona? He is Championship level at best. Can't tackle, can't pass, can't head, can't stand up to a tackle ? in fact, he can't do anything required of the Premier League status he has.
Ian Kearney
30   Posted 31/10/2011 at 12:29:10

Osman is getting stick because yet again he vanished against one of the big side, in his supposed favoured position aswell. Fellaini and to a lesser exten Rodwell controlled the centre of the pitch while Osman gave away possesion or simply didnt show.

Ive had enough of the great servant bollocks aswell, we arent running a butlers school here, these lads are multi millionaires, infor Osmans case, for something he is mediocre at.
Anthony Hughes
31   Posted 31/10/2011 at 12:26:40

I think when asked about Jack Wilshire getting into Baca's team Guardiola replied that he has a dozen players like him in the second team. On that basis i'm afraid Ossie gets nowhere near. However i kind of see your point Colin about Osman's playing style of play, it's just the example you used was stretching it way too far.
Dick Fearon
32   Posted 31/10/2011 at 12:15:56

Some people may think it is wrong to judge a players worth by the money he earns.
I am not one of those people.

I guess Osman and Bily are each paid 40,000 quid pw which means that each is paid 2 million per year.
Think of what you and your family could do with that mind boggling amount.
Think about what they actually do to earn that kind of money. Makes you feel a bit sick eh'.
Don't expect me to show sympathy or empathy with anyone enjoying that lifestyle who does so little to deserve it.

Denis Richardson
33   Posted 31/10/2011 at 12:51:25

Sorry but I stopped reading when supposedly a) Xavi (one of the best midfielders in the WORLD) would stuggle to get into our midfielda and b) our Leon would possibly get into the Barca side.

You a comedian?

Please send me some of what you're smoking and I'll send you a you tube link for you to actually watch Xavi in acton.
Ciarán McGlone
34   Posted 31/10/2011 at 12:52:56

Osman should've been dropped a long time ago. Capable of brilliance, but has overwhelmingly delivered poor football over his entire Everton career. One consistent period of two months over a 10-year period is far from good enough. The eternal optimists should really give up.
Gary Mortimer
35   Posted 31/10/2011 at 12:49:15

I know Ozzie is a true blue and all that, but over the last five weeks he has confirmed to me that he is the best player of 'hide and seek' in the world. For most of the first 76 minutes on Saturday I wasn't even aware that he was on the pitch, only when he popped up to do his trademark "scuff a clear opening straight at the keeper" did I notice him.

The number of times Billy, Jack and Felli were caught in posession on Saturday looking up trying to find someone to pass to was incredible.

Ozzie isn't the only culprit though. None of our players seem capable of passing AND MOVING. Most are happy to pop a pass off and then take a breather - safe in the knowledge that they didn't give the ball away and it's now someone else's problem.

All of the top sides pass and move. A lot of the rest try to pass and move. We are just slow, pedestrian and very predictable.
Ray Said
36   Posted 31/10/2011 at 13:05:31

Osman couldn't get in the Barcelona team if his dad was the manager.
Denis Richardson
37   Posted 31/10/2011 at 13:03:52

Bit off topic I know but it was a bit depressing watching Spurs yesterday. They have so much pace in the side and the quality of their off the ball movement and one touch football and passing puts us to shame.

Players were blasting passes to each other over short distances in the midfield but everyone seemed comfortable trapping the ball or playing one touch football, regardless of how fast the pass came to them. In the first half they tore QPR a new one with their movement off the ball.

Just wish they were in blue and at home in GP...... then again, we should feel lucky i guess, their midfield would truggle to get into ours and our Leon could single handedly take them all on!
Colin Malone
38   Posted 31/10/2011 at 13:24:23

Ok people, go easy on me.

Osman cannot play on his own, for the reason you all have said. He needs an Arteta or a Pienaar with him.

What have we got? two defensive midfielders, one's a crab, the other waiting for the transfer window to open. So this leaves Ossie isolated, and he's food and drink to defenders.

I would rather we went 4-4-2 if we are going to play two defensive midfielders because, in my opinion, that's why Cahill is not doing the business.
James Boden
39   Posted 31/10/2011 at 15:15:56

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
This may be the funniest letter I have ever read anywhere!
If Osman is good enough to play for Barcelona then I am the pope, one of the workers who constructed the Hoover Dam, Ronald Reagan's best mate and The Fifth Beatle.
Now how much of that did you believe?
NOPE didn't think so.
Wayne Smyth
40   Posted 31/10/2011 at 15:46:37

Sorry Colin, but Ossie is a decent, hard-working player who is technically good, but has very little else to make up for his lack of strength. His passing range is poor, he has no pace, he doesn't have enough balance or agility for a small player. Even suggesting he could get near the barca squad(never mind in it) is laughable.

Where I will agree with you is that Xavi or any of the other Barca players would really struggle in this everton squad. There just isn't the critical mass of good, confident players who have been coached to play football in the correct way. There is no movement and the players are more used to shirk responsibility and hoof it rather than anything else.

Can you imagine Moyes playing messi as a holding midfielder or right back? Cos it seems that he likes to screw around with the heads of creative/attacking types by playing them out of position till their confidence is fucked.

Once messi had been brought down a peg or two then he might be given a more suitable role on a wing. In the meantime half of Goodison would be on his back for being a lazy ****, and screaming for him to be shipped out. In a few seasons we might be able to sell him for £1M or so. IMWT lol.
Paul Roderick
41   Posted 31/10/2011 at 15:30:05

Sean #6 - I'm with you. Coleman's decision making is awful, he constantly loses the ball and he couldn't trap a bag of cement.
Andy Crooks
42   Posted 31/10/2011 at 18:20:37

Paul. a couple of years ago Seamus Coleman was playing at a level which you probably not watched in a while. Despite what many think ,he's a wing back. At Sligo he was a bloody good full back. He's doing a great job being played out of position. Just like Bily, Cahill. Barkley.
David Hallwood
43   Posted 31/10/2011 at 18:49:17

Now now girls, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I think a better pub argument would be; would Ossie be a better player if he was in a good footballing side? and is he any better or worse than say Darren Fletcher, who has carved out a successful career at Man U despite not being anywhere near the Xavi class?

Well worth half an hour debate over a couple of Stellas. but one thing I do agree with, even if Colin didn't say it is that Xavi would struggle in this team, which of course doesn't automatically mean that Ossie would blossom in Barca
John Nelson
44   Posted 31/10/2011 at 20:01:28

I said a while back that Osman would maybe do well in Italy or Spain where the football is a lot slower and players have time and space... But to suggest he would get into the Barcelona team is absolutely ludicrous. Tell me Colin - this is nothing against Leon but do you really think he would not look out of place when put next to possibly the best midfield pairing EVER of Xavi and Iniesta?
Michael Brien
45   Posted 01/11/2011 at 07:39:18

Osman does do one role very well - the role of being the fans scapegoat when things are going wrong. He may not be an international class player - but he is certainly a good premier league player.

Instead of singling certain players for citicism - maybe some of you should look a bit higher so to speak. It was US Prsident Harry S Truman who apparently used to have a plaque on his desk with the legend - " The Buck Stops Here".

As far as David Moyes goes his mantra appears to be " The Buck Stops Anywhere But Here". It is David Moyes that decides the tactics - and to say that his tactics are predictable would I believe be an understatement. And as regards substituitions - there have been peace treaties that have take less time to negotiate than some of Moyes substituitions - even when it is blatantly obvious that a change is needed to be made.

The opening game v QPR showed this - he replaced our lone striker with a midfield player - leaving Saha on the bench !!! In the later stages of that game I wondered what formation it was we were playing - I am sure the players were just as confused.

A mate text me the scores of last nights Stoke v Newcastle match - at one point he said the Newcastle 2nd Striker had created a goal I can't recall the precise detail - I replied with the question : What's a 2nd Striker ?

I saw on the internet this morning that Moyes has been mentioned as a future Spurs manager? I wonder if the fans at White Hart Lane will put up with such cautious, unadventurous and at times boring tactics. I look forward to seeing how Van der Vart and Co cope when they too are stifled by "The Moyes Approach".
Rob Murphy
46   Posted 01/11/2011 at 08:27:49

Anyone could play in that Barca team,players like that would even make me look good.
As for Coleman,the lad played more Gaelic Football growing up so he's an apprentice learning his trade.Give him a season or two more before slating the kid.
Peter Fearon
47   Posted 01/11/2011 at 13:55:30

If Leon Osman went to Barcelona they wouldn't let him sell souvenirs at the concession stand, let alone actually play in a game. Maybe they would let him walk on the pitch as a mascot holding hands with Lionel Messi. They have eight players shortlisted for the ballon d'or We have that many who should be shown the door.
Graham Brandwood
48   Posted 01/11/2011 at 16:12:40

Those people like Tony Marsh, who keep saying Osman is Championship standard at best you are by definition wrong. He is a Premier League player and has been for ten years why make comments of our players that have no purpose but to wind people up.
John Malone
49   Posted 01/11/2011 at 18:14:42

Colin Malone take them stella glasses off! Next thing you'll be asking why Barkley's not starting!!!!
Andy Callan
50   Posted 02/11/2011 at 19:05:29

You lot shouldn't bite - this is obviously a complete piss take....

I reckon Barlow would have got a game for Brazil; if he was Brazilian and his name was Pele.

Clown........
Paul Ward
51   Posted 04/11/2011 at 06:00:08

Colin, I just could not resist commenting on one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen regarding an Everton player. Leon Osmon is one of the worst players of the current team. He runs and runs to no avail, when he does get the ball he can be knocked off it so easily. Now he has developed and in fact perfected the Lazy Yakubu dive and rest technique. I would just like to challenge any Evertonian to tell me any decent game Osman has ever had against one of the top teams. His best efforts are about half a dozen games against the poorer teams spread over his whole career.
Michael Brien
52   Posted 04/11/2011 at 07:18:57

Paul #51 - If Osman is as bad as you suggest - and you have basically stated that in his entire career he has only played 6 good games - then I don't see how he can have lasted so long in the Premier League. And during his time as a 1st team player we have qualified for The Champions League and UEFA/Europa league - how could a team "carrying such a poor player" finish in such good postions in the league table ? I think you need to get real instead of looking for scapegoats.
Paul Gladwell
53   Posted 04/11/2011 at 07:45:02

The point that is missing from all this is that the person who deserves the most stick for this is our manager.
Most match going blues last season would have to agree that Osman had a great second half to the season when all the luvies like Arteta and Fellaini were absent again, he scored goals and created them in a very good patch playing in a role comfortable to him.
This year he has been shite and that is mainly due to our manager playing him in a position he should never ever have played in again after that Cup Final, Mr Moyes will never learn and yet again someone else takes all his flak..