Season 2011-12

2012: Doomsday?

34 Comments: First  |  Last

No, not the popular prophecy of destruction that will fall upon the earth next year, but 2012 is going to be a watershed for Everton FC, I fear.

We all know that we don't have a pot to piss in. That's not so much of a problem this season (although it's looking precarious, we have enough squad quality to be outside the bottom 3 by the end of the season), but next season, 2012, is when the doom falls. The following players' contracts end before next season begins:

Sylvain Distin
Tim Cahill
Phil Neville
Louis Saha
Jose Baxter
Royston Drenthe

How many of these realistically will want to re-sign? How many can we afford to re-sign?

Looking at the list, it's not inconceivable that most will either no longer be with us or not first-team choices (ie, Cahill and Neville, another year older). That's going to leave a larger vacant gap of quality than normal, that currently we cannot afford to replace.

In addition, there will be the normal to-ing and fro-ing of closed season transfer activity and players moving on. The 2012 season will be a vastly different team. Without significant funds, that resulting squad is unlikely to have the quality to remain in the Premier League.

2012 ? it's time to hide in your closet and stockpile beans and Stella.
Jeremy Benson, Cotswolds     Posted 03/11/2011 at 07:54:47

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Tom Winek
1   Posted 03/11/2011 at 20:54:26

I'm sure Neville re-signed a few weeks ago, didn't he?
Tony Pickering
2   Posted 03/11/2011 at 20:59:57

Maybe Moyes will look to play the likes of Duffy, Barkley, Gueye and Vellios regularly to replace some of the named players. Garbutt and Wallace may play. Young and enthusiatic individuals to come in and take us forward.

Oh no, sorry ? Mr Moyes is more likely to offer the big (mostly old) names big contracts that we can ill afford, just to keep them on board and sell the younger players who could make us a decent team.

Seriously though, would love to see us keep Drenthe ? he could be the diference between a struggling mid-table side and a team that is capable of surprising other mobs ? and help avoid boring us to death. Hope we keep Baxter too ? we are meant to be a club that give youth a chance, so let's see it. Please.
Brendan McLaughlin
3   Posted 03/11/2011 at 21:26:05

Hiding in a closet with copious amounts of beans & stella....not the best advice ever given out on Toffeeweb!
Colin Wainwright
4   Posted 03/11/2011 at 21:32:38

Dunno Brendan.

Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Brendan McLaughlin
5   Posted 03/11/2011 at 21:43:00

Colin

Perhaps not... at least it'll be a change from Billy stinking the place out!
Denis Richardson
6   Posted 03/11/2011 at 21:46:09

So Jeremy, you hoping big Denis and the scottish Rooney will be staying? Think their contracts are up end of the season as well.

Not to mention Hobbo and Osman will turn 32 next season so (like them or not) they dont have too many years left in them either.

On a bighter note, one would hope the club offers a LOWER salary in new contracts offered to players older than say 32, the players are not in a position to take the club to ransom given their age.

Let's get Fellaini's contract sorted out first ? speaking of which, was this not 'really close to being signed' about 3 weeks ago!
David Bridge
7   Posted 03/11/2011 at 21:55:49

If Moyes stays and I hope he doesnt he will offer contracts to -
Cahill
Saha
Neville
McFadden
and play the same shit football weve all come to love watching.

If Moyes goes and I hope he does contracts will go to -
Distin
Drenthe
Barkley
Gueye
Feillani
and we can build a team around good quality players and exciting football again.

The new boss Martinez, Poyet or Pardew could then remove / release those Championship players Moyes loves -
Cahill, Saha, Neville, McFadden, Baxter, Bily and Anichebe.
Steve Guy
8   Posted 03/11/2011 at 22:14:36

Pardew !!!!!!!!!!??????
David Bridge
9   Posted 03/11/2011 at 22:39:05

Agreed that was a poor shout, I'm tired, I was up early today!
Gaute Lie
10   Posted 03/11/2011 at 22:34:08

I think Moyes will let Saha go for sure. Baxter too, most likely.

Cahill, if he doesn't say himself it's over, will get a renewal, 2 yrs.

Distin should and will get one or two years more.

Drenthe is not ours. I guess we will re-sign the little fellow if he stays on mother earth and does'n get any serious injuries.

The only one I have no clue to is P Neville. I sort of hope he will retire, however, he's one of Moyes sweethearts. And who's gonna take the captaincy?

So for me, Distin, Cahill and Drenthe stays. Heitinga in for Jagielka, and perhaps Heitinga could be captain?
Ciaran Duff
11   Posted 03/11/2011 at 23:08:46

I agree that next year could be a tough one. We do seem to have quite a few younger players coming through including some on loan who are doing well (eg Duffy). Whether they are ready to step up to the mark yet remains to be seen. Positionally I think Saha is going to be the hardest to replace. Vellios seems ok and may develop long term but it would be crazy to rely on him. We need to have a decent striker on the books.
Chris Bannantyne
12   Posted 04/11/2011 at 01:11:58

David #6 - mate, I don't love Moyes either, but Martinez?? Seriously, I know he tries to play attractive football, but he mostly fails and doesn't know what the word "win" means. He's a pretty shit manager.

Not a big fan of any of the managers you named but, given recent form, I'd probably take Pardew over the others.
Jamie Sweet
13   Posted 04/11/2011 at 03:28:19

Chris #12. Please refer back to Steve #8
Simon Atkins
14   Posted 04/11/2011 at 07:06:48

No money, no hope.
Ted Smeethes
15   Posted 04/11/2011 at 07:45:23

The end is nigh!!!!!!
Jon Ferguson
16   Posted 04/11/2011 at 08:03:12

As much as it pains me to say it, our only option is to sell Felli in January. He has put in some good performances this season and his stock is currently high. Arsenal and Fiorentina have been linked with anything between £15 ? 18m. The sales of Piennar, Vaughan, Beckford, Yakubu and Yobo?s perpetual loans should be enough to keep the banks of our backs and so we should have £20 ? 25m to spend on a striker and an attacking midfielder (both need to have pace). Get Barkley on a long term deal and Drenthe signing a pre-contract agreement in March and maybe things won?t be so bad.

Let?s move Neville into the coaching staff (maybe player coach), give Distin a year extension, Baxter an extension and send him back on loan (to the Championship) and say to Cahill, thank you for giving us belief during the early days, thanks for the derby goals and being a proper blue, why not take a free transfer to Bolton, Blackburn or (if you?re lucky) Stoke.
Michael Mcloughlin
17   Posted 04/11/2011 at 08:07:38

I think Nigel Clough would be a good option for manager. I would really like ot see Moyes get some money and see what he can really do.Starting team for Sat: Howard
Hibbo Jags Distin Baines
Osman Barkley Rodwell Drenthe
Cahill
Saha
Shaun Brennan
18   Posted 04/11/2011 at 08:38:06

Jon #16 - I'm intrigued. Where did you get those fgures from?
Daniel McClennan
19   Posted 04/11/2011 at 08:39:09

What a load of negative drivel. If any of those players wants a new contract, earn it!. If any of them doesn?t, fuck off!

We shall not be moved.
Andrew Laird
20   Posted 04/11/2011 at 08:57:24

5 minutes research Jeremy.

Neville signed a new contract taking him to 2013.

Cahill signed a 4 year contract extension in 2010: www.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14608901.stm

These 2 are going nowhere in the near future unfortunately.
Richard Dodd
21   Posted 04/11/2011 at 08:56:55

I see Rodwell is back in the Everton camp although I`m not convinced he is of that quality. Many on here saw him as the alternative to Fellaini as a passport to clearing our debts. What do you feel now?
James McPherson
22   Posted 04/11/2011 at 09:32:13

A wee while ago, a contributor penned an article around the demise of the Argentinian institution that is River Plate.

All the pedigree, history, honours counted for nothing as this club suffered the ignominy of relegation and life in the back waters of Argentinian football.

The article did strike a chord with me...but I did not at that time draw a direct parallell with EFC.

Some time on...well...how things have changed..because, without doubt, we are now "a dead man walking".

The opinions on this site will as ever be polarised. As a fellow blue, I respect all views. However, even the most ardent supporter must get this "trend"...we are going backwards at an alarming rate, with no sign of the slide abating.

The club's stale, lacking imagination on all fronts...carrying on through self-interest and self-interest alone. No surprises with Kenwright, he's that type. Moyes however?
I am surprised as I thought he had more about him. He is propping up this "strategy" and is therefore equally culpable.

John Crook
23   Posted 04/11/2011 at 10:21:52

Cahill has been carrying an injury for the best part of 2 years. I think we have seen the best of him but I still feel he will be a quality impact sub if he can regain a bit of form. They don't come much more committed to the cause of Everton than Cahill. I'd be happy for him to stay...

I'd be happy for Distin to stay. One of his ex-defensive partners labelled him the best one-on-one defender in the league so that says it all in terms of he should stay... but at his age you are only going to see one-year deals with the option of an extra one if all go's well.

Nothing will be decided on Drenthe untill the end of the season. He may sulk and want to fuck off if he doesn't start regularly.

I think it's time Baxter went and tried to build himself a career in the Championship... he has been around the 1st team squad for 4 years now and doesn't make the bench unless the squad is crippled with injuries.

Saha would have to have an immense run of form and goals and fitness and staying injury free to even warrant a new 1-year deal.

And finally Pip... it's a shame he's so committed to us, he should've gone to Spurs last January when he had the chance. You can't knock his service to the squad in a very frustrating time in the club's history (a period where we needed that elusive billionaire to take us to the next level). He had the knowledge and experience and versatillity, and I can understand why he is a 'pro's pro'. But I beleive Pip should be on his way in May. Hopefully Bury will be managerless next summer... he will have his chance then.
Antony Matthews
24   Posted 04/11/2011 at 10:41:32

And IF we get taken over it will be Champagne and Caviar. YUKKKKK.
Jeremy Benson
25   Posted 04/11/2011 at 11:23:17

Andrew, I took my list from toffeeweb's own player list.

I don't have the time sadly to idly sit researching on the web all day to debunk other peoples posts, you obviously do, so well done.
Anthony Lewis
26   Posted 04/11/2011 at 12:04:39

Next Year!!! Bring it on I say. The more years go by, the closer we are to losing Neville, Cahill, Osman, Hibbert etc (I could go on, but I can't be arsed thinking to hard). And the closer we are to having the young guns gain maturity and become "ready".

We got some decent young lads waiting in the wings. If we can stay up this year, we might actually have the makings of a half decent team of young lads, mixed with some decent players already in the fold.

Glass half full n'all

COYB roll on 2012!!!!
Andrew Laird
27   Posted 04/11/2011 at 12:19:42

Jeremy, not all day, 5 minutes. Probably the same amount of time it took for you to write the above article and submitting not caring whether it was factually accurate or not.

I am annoyed really, after reading your post I was actually quite pleased to see that a couple of Moyes' out of form Favourites might not be insulting my eyes in an Everton shirt for too much longer.
Richard Reeves
28   Posted 04/11/2011 at 13:25:03

There's really no need to worry, Cahill will be making a brief appearance on Everton TV at the beginning of next season reasurring us that things are not that bad as himself, Saha, Distin and Neville have just signed contract extensions. Drenthe will be off to another club so long as he has a good season ? and who could blame him?

As for Baxter, he'll go to a Championship club. With the exception of (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Distin on a one-year contract extension, it would be criminal to give it to any of the others yet we all know what is going to happen. Just another example of piss poor management.
Al Reddish
29   Posted 04/11/2011 at 13:50:27

I thought Cahill signed a 4 year contract when Arteta signed his meaning he has 2 years left. I am sure Neville re-signed a couple of months back too
Marc Williams
30   Posted 04/11/2011 at 18:05:52

Jeremy... Al @ 29 is definitely right about Cahill, as he signed an improved deal in 2010 & I'm pretty sure he's right about Neville too.

I think Distin has already been offered an extension but was haggling over it's length.
Drenth isn't our player & the only reason he's with us is to put himself in the shop window. If he has a good season there was no way we could keep him, as someone with money will snap him up.

As to Baxter & Saha, I don't know & frankly don't care.
Richard Reeves
31   Posted 04/11/2011 at 18:16:08

Al,just when there was a glimmer of light.
Jon Ferguson
32   Posted 04/11/2011 at 18:44:38

Shaun 18 - The figures are of course only estimations, but Mr Kenwright came out and said we are losing £5mil a season and the bank was on his back.

So we reportedly sold Piennar for 2 mil, 2 mil for Vaughan, 4 mil for Beckford, 2 mil for Yakubu and 2 x1 mil loan deals for Yobo over the last 2 seasons. That is 10 mil and some hefty wages saved over the last two seasons, helping to deal with the bank.

We then sold Arteta for 10 mil and if we were to sell Felli for 15 mil (a price reported some papers, admittedly not a consistently reliable source), that would be 25 mil, of which we could possibly spend 20 on two 10 mil players.

We'd have a smaller squad, a much more affordable wage structure and could give youngsters like Barkley, Gueye and Vellios a chance.

Not ideal obviously, but the best I can come up with, without a takeover.
Robbie Muldoon
33   Posted 05/11/2011 at 09:23:20

That Andy Johnson looks some striker, would love a forward like that!
Jason Lam
34   Posted 07/11/2011 at 03:20:52

I would be more worried if we re-signed any on that list.