Season 2011-12

Moyes out but Neville in!

35 Comments: First  |  Last

I predict that Moyes will leave the summer after this, if not before.

I believe that his increasingly defeatist attitude betrays his former contact with an/other club/s. His sights are on his new project. I suspect that his agent has told them that he his loyal and wants to hold on a little longer in the hope of a change of fortune. It may sound conspiracy theory-esque but perhaps Drenthe will sign for his new club?

Phil Neville will step up to the manager's position. He says all the right things about the board, Moyes praises him with sickening regularity, and he will be more than able to continue Moyes's great tradition of boring workman-like football. Maybe this was a factor in his staying with us rather than leaving for Tottenham last season?

He will also save the club a few quid as even the great Phil Neville cannot claim to deserve £65k a week in his first managerial position.

The glory days are coming back!

Anthony Jones, Merseyside     Posted 03/11/2011 at 22:50:54

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Ray Robinson
1   Posted 04/11/2011 at 14:20:52

I can see Neville taking over the reins one day but not just yet. I think he will carry on playing at a lower level for some years yet and will have to cut his managerial teeth in the lower leagues somewhere.

However, what makes you think that his limited ability will make him a boring manager? It doesn't necessarily follow. If anything Neville tends towards the optimistic even when there's little to get enthused about and I doubt whether he agrees totally with everything that Moyes espouses.

Also, does Moyes actually have an agent?
Nick Entwistle
2   Posted 04/11/2011 at 14:44:59

Pip is definitely worth a tenner, but next Everton manager bets have never been around.
Andrew Ellams
3   Posted 04/11/2011 at 14:47:35

Neville may have played under Moyes for a while, but lets not forget he also played for SAF. If he was to be the next man in (I doubt it personally), let's hope he learnt more from his first club.
Eugene Ruane
4   Posted 04/11/2011 at 15:29:55

Thanks - you just made me hate my eyes.
Mark Wayman
5   Posted 04/11/2011 at 15:32:53

We can only hope this comes to pass, and, that we are taken over by the Greek government, with Kenwright kept on as chairman.

Then pray to whatever higher being may be out there that we sign a new 100 year exclusivity deal with both Kitbag, and whatever company currently overheats our toxic match pies.
James Stewart
6   Posted 04/11/2011 at 16:13:11

Can't see it myself but as much as I can't stand him as a player I acutally think Neville would probably make a decent manager.

Alan Clarke
7   Posted 04/11/2011 at 16:23:53

There really is absolutely nothing positive for Everton on the horizon.
Tony Cheek
8   Posted 04/11/2011 at 16:25:49

Yes, I can see this coming off too Anthony. Well worth a tenner, lets hope he has learnt more from SAF than our Moyesy. Stiil think we should go for Solskjśr though, he just won the Norwegian Tippeligaen at the first try. Definitely a great manager in the making!!
Peter Laing
9   Posted 04/11/2011 at 16:29:46

I have the feeling that the wheel has almost turned full circle over the past year or so under David Moyes and the mood and optimism is starting to feel like the dying embers of the Walter Smith regime. I'm not blaming Moyes per se without having the financial support or ability to refresh the team / squad whilst losing key player's such as Pienaar and Arteta its not hard to see why the Club feels so stale. I'm not sure a rookie such as Neville or the luxury of a Pep Guardiola or Mourihno would be able to make a better fist of Everton given the financial straight jacket.
Tony Marsh
10   Posted 04/11/2011 at 16:47:52

Two things wrong with this theory:

1) Neville has no badges to become a manager which I believe you now need..

2) No other club of Everton's stature or above would touch Moyes. It's only our delusioned fans who think he is a genius..

Look at the performances and tactics this season. Moyes is going nowhere ? he has it so cushy here. No pressure to even win games never mind trophies. Do you seriously think another set of Premier League fans would put up with the shite we watch?... I don't.
Richard Dodd
11   Posted 04/11/2011 at 17:34:51

Moyes is going nowhere but I do believe Pip would be BB`s first choice replacement if it were up to him. As far as Davey having an agent, I believe he does his own negotiation with the Club but uses his brother to arrange broadcasting work for him. After all, who can suevive on £65k a week?
Stephen Kenny
12   Posted 04/11/2011 at 17:51:44

I reckon Moyes has been hanging on for a takeover and Bill may well have spun him the old "78 interested parties" line too.

His face looks alarmingly similar to mine every time I read something Kenwright has said.

That said it's now impossible not to lump them both in together as thier self-serving mutual appreciation society has left our club on the rocks. I have lost a lot of respect for the man after some of his recent comments.
Richard Reeves
13   Posted 04/11/2011 at 18:22:43

What a thought, I reckon this club has knocked five years of my life. Might as well throw Cahill, Osman and Hibbert into the coaching set up (operation overated complete).
Kevin Hudson
14   Posted 04/11/2011 at 18:57:40

Good God, I hope you're wrong, Anthony!

It will be almost as cringeworthy a footballing appointment as when John Barnes fronted Channel 5's UEFA coverage..
Ian McDowell
15   Posted 04/11/2011 at 19:03:38

@7 There really is absolutely nothing positive for Everton on the horizon. Spot on.

If Moyes ever did leave Everton and I don't think he will before 2015, then Neville would be fine by me.
Richard Jones
16   Posted 04/11/2011 at 20:18:37

I think if Phil Neville became manager of Everton FC it it would be up there with Liverpool winning the Champions League final as bad moments go.
John Malone
17   Posted 04/11/2011 at 20:25:58

kevin hudson 14 - John Barnes Hahahaha great shout!
Dick Fearon
18   Posted 04/11/2011 at 20:35:36

We need an aggressive manager with a tactical attitude to match. Other pre requisites are a hair dryer and a supply of aerodynamic throwing boots.
He should be able to speed up or slow down time itself, be totally blind to fouls and diving committed by his own team and vociferous in denial. At the same time he must be a genius at spotting the same things done by opponents.
He will have a peculiar kind of touchline war dance with both fists raised.
Most of all he must occasionally display a bit of silverware.
Alas our current incumbent has none of those things.
John Daley
19   Posted 04/11/2011 at 21:02:30

I feel like a fortune teller has just read my cards and said "'basically you're fucked".

Let's hope his brother can convince photogenic Phil that spouting shite on Sky is the way to go. The Neville brothers: single handedly supporting the association of British televisual make up artists.
David Bridge
20   Posted 04/11/2011 at 21:22:08

Let's bring the Neville brothers in as joint managers.... they know what the're doing don't they.
Bob Parrington
21   Posted 04/11/2011 at 22:08:13

Anthony, this is a long bow you're drawing! Not saying you're wrong but...........we'll see how it plays out!. Either this will prove to be a brilliant prediction or will be like so many other tongue in cheek comments that just prey on the already negative thought processes of many Blues fans

COYB
Anthony Jones
22   Posted 04/11/2011 at 22:23:32

Sorry fellas... I know it could be complete bollocks. I just think it fits in with the current situation.

Fair play regards Neville maybe being more attack minded. I think he does have more balls than Moyes.
Kiern Moran
23   Posted 04/11/2011 at 22:17:24

I have to suppress a laugh every time I think we have build a midfield around Phil Neville let alone worry about how I will feel if he was running the club. Good professional, knows the game probably would do a competent job until he did something absolutely mad.

Moyes is not defeatist. No, in no way. Safe, probably too safe is a winner. it might not be easy, it certainly will not be pleseant to watch. We on average we will more then we lose. And on our day we can anly one.

Our team now is the team Moyes has built from age down. We have currenlty Evertons best youth team since the one Rooney, Baines, Osman, Hibbert conquored their youth lead. This is our third team, the bulk of which play also for our reserves. Our reserves are losing at the moment becuase the better players of our youth team are on first team availbility. We are going soon to be a very good, well balanced, creative. Proactive to the scoring of the goal at the immidate opportunity. At all times defend, but keep in mind thats defense is just a form of attack. This is how Moyes has built the Everton team to play and he has done it with no money for the past two seasons beacuse when he the money he made more right choices. Fellani is a fantastic player and he is how coming to an age when Artect first arrived at the club and became the player Arseng Wender has now built his Arsenal side behind.

Ferguson has had twenty-five years. The youth players Ferguson inhetited now are aged forty-one. Everton are now Aberdeen. We really fault for the League Cup this year, and where cheated by money rich Chelsea. The draw for the FA Cup will be very interesting this year. With the top four pretty clear, a ultimately frustrating top four; Manchester City; Manchester United lower on goal difference, Chelsea and Arsenal. This we know, Moyes knows as does every player and meamber of staff. The next step is Europe, this means 5/6 or cup.

Our recent deafeats have not been too worrying. We have rarely been outplayed and where we have conceaded goals they have come through mistakes. We are not as a team capitalised on the enemies mistakes. Once we win tomorrow gainst a Newcastle side that has had a run of games Moyes would kill for; things will be clear again.
Brendan McLaughlin
24   Posted 04/11/2011 at 22:45:54

Kiern #23
There's no arguing with that.
Tommy Kealy
25   Posted 04/11/2011 at 23:23:26

I cannot argue with what you have written kiern as I couldn't understand what you had written!
I think I got a bit of dire Dave appreciation in there which means I'd rather not understand it if I'm honest. The man should be an undertaker as his whole persona is downbeat,dull and his interviews leave me suicidal, never mind his 'cough' tactics.
Derek Thomas
26   Posted 04/11/2011 at 23:22:37

Tony Marsh #10. If a reprobate like Big Dunc is starting to getting badges, then a goody two shoes like Neville will have a wall full.

I still think that a Big Dunc / Dudley do right Phil Neville axis will do us no harm... Starting from next week, I can't take another 18 months of this shite.
Eric Myles
27   Posted 04/11/2011 at 23:53:32

Neville will probably go as player manager for a lower league club to keep playing and cut his managerial teeth before he comes back to be our manager.

Bill will bring in Allardyce when Moyes walks.
James Flynn
28   Posted 04/11/2011 at 23:51:15

Ugh. God bless Phil, but yet another pex-layer given a managing opportunity without ever managing? Good to see managing/coaching hirings in England make as much sense there as here in the States (No sense, that is).

If Moyes is out one way or the other (and count me as a Moyes supporter), please, please, please don't let us hire a popular "name" instead of someone who actually knows how to build a winning Club.

Specifically, that someone being American Bruce Arena. Should have been managing in the EPL 15 years ago. Absolutely immediately following the 2002 WC. And still a great manager. The best manager who never got a shot at the Big Time. Because he's American. Moyes I like. A lot. Ownership? Obviously a failure. Here's hoping an American buys the Club and hires Arena.

I can tell you what will happen. EFC built from the back forward (with some older, vicious bastard anchoring the back line (An Arena staple)), total fitness required, and a demand to push the ball forward and attack.

If only. Up we'd go. All this fellow does is build winning teams.

Brian Waring
29   Posted 05/11/2011 at 11:56:59

Sorry lads, this is Brian's wife here, he has just slipped into a coma at the thought of Neville as manager!
Alan Clarke
30   Posted 05/11/2011 at 12:36:25

Mrs Waring, it's best for Brian to stay in that state for the foreseeable future. Most Evertonians have been in comas for the past few years after watching mind-numbingly dull Moyes football.
Tony Twist
31   Posted 05/11/2011 at 17:25:06

What about Moyes out and Slaven Bilic in.
Tom Harries
32   Posted 05/11/2011 at 20:35:35

I wouldn't be happy to see Neville as the next manager (even if he has the badges), but when he was on the radio the other night doing commentary, he was advocating positive, attacking football as the way to survive in the Premier League.

I was wondering if the other commentator would ask him if that was Everton's approach!
Jason Lam
33   Posted 07/11/2011 at 02:40:12

I actually think Pip might make a decent manager. When he was at Man Utd his best days were playing defensive mid allowing the more talented players do the attacking part. He knows his place and limitations. Other than that, any of Moyes' past strikers would be welcomed, it's the only guarantee we will play more than 1 up front.
david pilling
34   Posted 07/11/2011 at 20:04:37

Ive actually been putting a tenner on neville for the last few months think thats the reason price has dropped from 33/1 to 25s
Trevor Mackie
35   Posted 07/11/2011 at 20:23:21

Mrs Waring

Could you provide your statistics please?

Moyes supporters get your googles out.