Season 2011-12

Gwladys! Call a taxi ? and ask Dave to meet me outside!

66 Comments: First  |  Last

Whenever a thread appears expressing dissatisfaction with David Moyes?s management ? we are now one point above the drop zone with the upcoming matches against Wolves and Bolton crucial to our season ? you can bet there?s a response from one of his diminishing band of diehard faithful asking, "So who would you get in his place?"

It?s a trick question in a way, designed to push the debate away from the merits of David Moyes where it belongs and on to the merits or otherwise of other managers. Proposed managers are easy to scoff at ? the good suggestions wouldn't take the job, say the Moyes Brigade, the obvious suggestions wouldn't do any better.

However, aware that I will be ridiculed by some, I can?t resist. These are the first half a dozen calls I would make if I was chairman and about to fire David Moyes, not necessarily in this order. Each is realistic in my view. Each would probably value the challenge of the Premier League and all but one cut his managerial teeth on football?s attacking virtues.

1. Marco van Basten. He resigned from Ajax as manager in 2009 after finishing third. He is currently a television pundit but has made it known he wants to return to management.

2. Bernd Schuster, former manager of Real Madrid (for ten minutes). He was fired from Besiktas last season for his supposedly reckless attacking tactics. That would make a change.

3. Roberto Donadoni, former manager of Cagliari, fired in August after a disagreement with the chairman over the transfer out of a valued player.

4. Slaven Bilic, former Everton defender, currently managing Croatia. Great tactician. May be available if they don?t qualify for Euro 2012 in play-off this month.

5. Frederic Antonetti, Corsican born, currently manager of Rennes ? his teams are fully committed to scoring goals.

6. Gary Speed, I never believed he was a Judas. Not the most experienced, it?s true but he?s has great footballing intelligence, he knows the club and the culture and he?s a True Blue. Yes, let him keep the Welsh job too if he wants it.

Each of these men would out-coach and out-think David Moyes. All but one has had to work with relatively limited resources.

Yes, of course each of these choices can be picked apart. The point is there?s talent out there. You have to act at the right moment to secure the services of the right man. While I?m certain these men would like to manage in the Premier League, I doubt if they?re much interested in managing in the Championship. So hurry, Bill! The time has come for Dave to go!
Peter Fearon, Liverpool     Posted 06/11/2011 at 18:02:01

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Paul Knox
1   Posted 07/11/2011 at 13:48:11

Well done, good list. But who do send it to? Bk or PG?
Henry Enzio
2   Posted 07/11/2011 at 13:46:33

With the net spend at Moyes disposal i cant see anyone out performing him.
There is no comparison because in the richest league in the world we have consitently over performed with Moyes at the helm.
Queue the same old tripe about Moyes being negative and how we should play two wingers against everyone and watch us do a City and be points clear by the end of the season!
Steve Guy
3   Posted 07/11/2011 at 13:48:13

Peter. Totally agree. You'd think listening to some that DM's the only option and the alternatives are all currently managing in the Blue Square league. On related points though.....would you want Kenwrong picking his successor ?........I'd prefer us to be getting a new Chairman and then a new manager, so the new manager gets a fair rub of the green and a bit of dosh.......and before anyone says it otherwise, DM has had plenty of both in my opinion. Come on BU do your stuff !
Colin Potter
4   Posted 07/11/2011 at 13:50:47

A very good selection Peter, any one of those would do a better job than Moyes. You could always add the up-and-coming Poyet, and Rodgers as well.
Nick Entwistle
5   Posted 07/11/2011 at 14:01:23

A trick question? Blimey.

You would need to assess what you would lose by sacking Moyes with what you gain.

Maybe you'd want to ask all the above if they'd come to a club with zero pence for transfers. Or is that a trick question too?
Chris Matheson
6   Posted 07/11/2011 at 13:58:51

I have been a big Moyes supporter but I am slowly losing the energy and fight as it is sapped out of me by the dross we are being served, so those are all interesting shouts Peter.

But let me ask, how many of those would come to Everton, with no money and a guarantee that every season we would have to sell at least one of our best players?

The buck stops with Kenwright and nothing will improve till he has gone and we have someone i charge who actuially knows what they are doing.
Andrew Ellams
7   Posted 07/11/2011 at 14:11:42

Paul Lambert for me. I think his attacking (not gung ho) approach to the game would make a world of difference to our squad.
Mark Murphy
8   Posted 07/11/2011 at 14:13:46

IF Moyes has anything about him I think it will be his decision to go that prompts any changes but he wont go before the summer. IF he has any ambition at all he should be looking to move on before his reputation is diminished further.

In my opinion we DO have the players to do better than we currently are we are just too tentative and negative. Yes, we have a small squad but its still better quality than the likes of Newcastle and the teams currently around us. We've lost our bottle and that's down to Moyes.
Andrew Ellams
9   Posted 07/11/2011 at 14:27:05

My point exactly Mark. If we got somebody in that got the likes of Coleman, Drenthe, Fellaini and Rodwell passing and moving quickly then we could challenge anybody on the day.

We don't have a large enough squad with the quality in depth to sustain and realistic season long challenges, but at least it would be an improvement from what we have now.
Richard Reeves
10   Posted 07/11/2011 at 14:39:05

Anyone but Megson and I'll be happy.
Marcus Kendall
11   Posted 07/11/2011 at 14:40:41

Gary Speed? do me a favour! he failed miserably at Sheffield United!
Jay Harris
12   Posted 07/11/2011 at 14:48:35

IMO
foreign coaches do not do well in the Premiership unless they have oodles of money to spend and most times that doesnt work either.

I would look for a "new" Moyes like Nigel Adkins currently flying high with Southampton who can build the club on sound foundation.

I believe we should be very grateful to David Moyes for what he has done for the club in very difficult circumstances but thought he should have resigned in protest at what was going on with Green Earl and Co some time ago.

He now looks like the frustrated waiter rather than the Maitre d'.

Agree with Steve Guy though Kenwright to go FIRST.
Kevin Hudson
13   Posted 07/11/2011 at 14:57:38

Peter why don't you email your naive wish-list to Santa Claus_@North-Pole.com?
James McPherson
14   Posted 07/11/2011 at 15:07:29

Kevin,

Bit puerile your response, don't you think? Whether you agree or otherwise to Peter's contribution surely it deserves better than that?

Peter, hear what you say, but I'm afraid it's a clean out from top to bottom we require. Merely replacing Moyes will not address the malaise.

Moyes should go because of his repeated mistakes and now flagrant complacency - but it is a complacency that is built upon Kenwright's inability to do anything positive for our club and his turning a blind eye to Moyes failings is borne out of gratitude for him (Moyes) not kicking up a stink.
James McPherson
15   Posted 07/11/2011 at 15:15:55

Hit the send button early...

Point is Peter, the club's rotten to the core. Sacking Moyes will only lead to the deployment of another yes man...and if we get someone who does not play ball....a "revolving door of managers" ...a la West Ham.

Taxi for both I'm afraid.
Brian Waring
16   Posted 07/11/2011 at 15:25:56

Someone mentioned our next manager will be Phil Neville, and I reckon that will be spot on. You watch, at the end of the season he will go for his coaching badges.
Joe Bibb
17   Posted 07/11/2011 at 15:32:38

I have to laugh at you Moyes fans: "He has no money" ? was Fellani a free transfer? Was Bily a gift from Russia? Did Beattie, Johnson, Yakubu all come for nothing?

The present squad are on fantastic wages. Moyes is on Ģ3.5 million a year but of course no-one would want to come for that wage... it's only the fourth best in the Premier League. When Walter Smith was crap, I still remember you nervous sods saying "BUT WHO WILL WE GET?"

"He gives youth a chance"... lol!!! McFadden limped on at Newcastle while Gueye & Barkley watched.

He might have over-achieved in your eyes if you support Moyes but for me he has lowered Everton Football Club to the level of Bolton, Blackburn & Stoke ? battlers who are lucky to survive in the Premier League. We are Everton Football Club; if you and Moyes have no ambition go to Preston where you all belong and let us have our once proud Club back.
Simon Burke
18   Posted 07/11/2011 at 15:52:31

I am sick of people saying sack Moyes. I bet you where all praising him up when things where going well. What's a new manager going to achieve with no money to spend on players? We have been playing above ourselves in recent years but you can't keep doing that in a league where money talks.
James McPherson
19   Posted 07/11/2011 at 16:01:52

Simon (17) - not a spokesman for others - however, I want him to go because to me, he just doesn't look arsed. He's stale and complacent. He's too comfortable and has lost the fire. I agree it's tough for him...but if he wants to raise the white flag in August (as he did) then sorry, we should not be paying Ģ65k a week for that.
Tony Marsh
20   Posted 07/11/2011 at 15:59:09

We can get SAF if we want. Well sort of ? we could bring in Darren his son who is doing a great job with small club Peterborough... They play all-out attacking football and constantly punch above their wieght in the Championship.

Imagine the help Dazza would get from Pops when he needed it ? especially if he retires in a year or two... Two for the price of one. The best football brain in the world at the end of the phone??
Paul Olsen
21   Posted 07/11/2011 at 16:20:00

#18 managers who do well tend to get praised Simon. We havenīt done all that well this season.

Managers who donīt, well itīs fairly obvious isnīt it?
Kevin Tully
22   Posted 07/11/2011 at 16:44:14

A new manager may come to Everton and just be a good fit - we may never know. Kenwright will NEVER sack Moyes, they are a double act.

These past few games have shown up Moyes on a grand scale, playing to keep the score respectable.

Swansea went to Liverpool and out-passed them for fucks sake, we would have gone there with 11 behind the ball, hoping for a set piece lucky break.

Moyes has lost his bottle, time to go Davey.
Michael Mcloughlin
23   Posted 07/11/2011 at 17:14:23

Dont you think there is something in the offing as to the reason Moyes hasnt jumped ship yet. Anyone who was given such limited resources ot run a team with should have had the honesty to jack it in. There must be a plan or at least I think Bill is telling Moyes there is somehting happening. Doesnt seem logical otherwise.
Peter Laing
24   Posted 07/11/2011 at 17:26:16

Instead of hypothesizing about who would do a better job that Moyes it would be worthwile considering how much it would cost Everton to sack him and pay up his salary. We need a root and branch approach with the cancer that is infesting the boardroom to be cut out before Everton becoming a rotting corpse.
Trevor Mackie
25   Posted 07/11/2011 at 17:17:32

Moyes is too "jokey" - he's just too flamboyant - all out attack might have GP on it's feet but who wants that noisy shit, he needs to be more cagey if we're going to get a good kip.
Bet he's into "Strictly Come Dancing" the lovable rogue.
Craig Walker
26   Posted 07/11/2011 at 17:32:57

It's a sad fact that most managers look on DM as one of the best around working miracles with little backing. Even fans of other clubs I speak to will say "Moyes is great though". I think if Moyes went then every manager would look at the job and think that he's a hard act to follow and was never given any money - why go there? It's not a philosophy I believe but I think that's how they would look at the Everton job. Therefore we would end up shopping for managers in the bargain basement as well as players. The only attractive prospect woud be the wage!

It's never going to happen anyway though. Moyes is here until he decides to move on so we're stuck with the defensive minded zombie football I'm afraid.

NSNO - Need Some New Owners
Robert Daniels
27   Posted 07/11/2011 at 17:32:29

Joe@ 17

Nail on head mate!
Andy Crooks
28   Posted 07/11/2011 at 17:44:10

Michael McLoughlin, you have made a very pertinent point. I think that many Evertonians think that the double act have something up their sleeves. Something , behind the scenes that ordinary mortals aren't aware of. A plan B.
Sadly, I don't think a plan B exists or ever has. We have the poorest squad since Moyes arrived.WE ARE IN A RELEGATION BATTLE. What does Moyes really think? Would anyone be confident of where are next win is coming from? There must absolutely be a change of coach. This coach is done,tired, bereft of ideas,stuck in a rut,clutching at straws, unimaginative and clinging on to a huge salary which he must really know he is not earning.
Resign with dignity,go to Celtic and deal with a board who will not undermine you and see your reputation slowly and sadly fall apart.Go.
Simon Harris
29   Posted 07/11/2011 at 18:00:49

Andy, to counter - The same coach looked tired, down and depressed after our defeat at Bolton last season. I thought he'd had enough seeing him slumped on the bench, but he stirred and rallied the troops into another solid league position.

I just hope he can muster up something similar this time, without Arteta, Beckford etc.

Gotta survive this season and prey Kenwright finds or is forced to find a buyer.
James Stewart
30   Posted 07/11/2011 at 18:30:15

interesting list and I have to say I think you are on the right track. I would add anchelotti to that list as well.
Ryan Holroyd
31   Posted 07/11/2011 at 18:34:10

Some of the people on this list are fanciful.

Van Basten? Roberto Donadoni?

What would the job advertisment say.

"Passionate but local fan base. Playing in an old stadium with no plan to up grade the stadium or move, currently asset stripping the playing staff to pay debts. No money to spend to improve the playing squad, you would be expected to finish higher than 8th in the Premier League playing Bacelona-style football.

Would need to work with a proven liar who goes under his stone in hard times but in good times talks about his Uncle and standing in Goodison with piss in his shoes."
David Holroyd
32   Posted 07/11/2011 at 18:52:48

Moyes is tired, tired of fighting with one hand behind his back. But tired he is, he just seems to have lost that spark.

When any manager comes to a new club, nobody knows how they will do. I believe Moyes needs to go but who comes in? I am not sure. But in the first half at Newcastle, the passing was truly awful and second half we ran out of ideas.

Team selection was another error. We are lucky to have any points this season and need a point a game from now on.
Nathan Ward
33   Posted 07/11/2011 at 19:17:35

Joe #17 - to try and make out that having a small amount of money years ago is counted as 'having money to spend' is silly mate.

All of the names mentioned will not come to us. No one will take a job where you have NO money to spend on players.

New owners is a must before any improvements can occur
Kevin Elliott
34   Posted 07/11/2011 at 19:24:57

Simon Clark.Madow youth under 10s.
Moyes can't hold a candle to him.
david pilling
35   Posted 07/11/2011 at 20:07:31

for those fancying a punt on our next manager skybet does offer odds............

Sean Patton
36   Posted 07/11/2011 at 20:40:22

That is a good shortlist Peter and I think the majority would be keen to try their hand in the Premiership.

A couple of British names to add to the list would be Chris Hughton and Steve McLaren.

I still think McLaren could do well in the top flight he was never given a fair crack at Forest and has a good pedigree.

Hughton is doing a fine job at Birmingham with no resources and being forced to sell players plus he was very unlucky to be sacked by Newcastle last year as he was doing a great job. He would be my number 1 target at the moment.
Wayne Smyth
37   Posted 07/11/2011 at 20:52:33

When it was time for wally to move on, how many of us were scrambling for Moyes to take over? Most of us were not that aware of the man or his methods.

He did however bring a refreshing energy and dragged the whole club up from relegation candidates to European contenders. Reshaped our squad from top to bottom and changed our expectations.

Its clear to me(now) that Moyes should never have been renewed. We now need a new coach with the same energy and vitality that Moyes originally had . I dont see why there is such fear about replacing the man and such scepticism that we can't find a good manager....just like we did 10 years ago.
Jon Cox
38   Posted 07/11/2011 at 20:52:21

It's got to be Bilic for me. No favoritism in the starting line up for him. You're either on form and playing well or you're out.

This guy is colder than the Arctic.

I like Eastern Europeans, the way thay play football. It's precision all the way. My dream would be (in their respective positions) 11 players that have the skill and ball control of Modric.

I'll bet Bilic knows at least 30 East Euros that wouldn't cost a fortune and would play attacking football that we haven't seen at Goodison for a good while.

Failing that, I'll go with Tony Marsh. Wicked idea.
Peter Fearon
39   Posted 07/11/2011 at 21:47:55

I'm going to go way out on a limb and add Adrian Heath to the short list. OK, before you shoot me down, let me say that Inchy has just had a very remarkable season as manager of Orlando in the USL American Division in the USA and finished their inaugural season as champions. When he took over it was a club without players, a stadium or a training ground. OK, it's not the Premiership, but I would love to see an Everton legend at the helm again. He has worked with many different types of player and coach and on a very very tight budget. Maybe he can bring us some fresh leadership and inspiration. I'm just throwing him in as a rank outsider! How bad could he be? Bring us to the verge of relegation after ten years and play negative
tentative, stale-stout football? Mmmmm...
James Flynn
40   Posted 07/11/2011 at 23:41:56

1. Oh yeah. I have one of the top 3 predators on earth, Van Nistelrooy in his prime. Have to sit him. What good can he do the National Team? Yikes!

2. Maybe. Not bad. Give him a chance.

3. Hahahahaha. Worst defeat in Italy's National Team history? Fired twice? Immediately right now fired twice. Yeah, sign him up. Amazingly, he's available. Very available.

4. Like him.

5. Jury's out. Wouldn't replace Moyes for him.

6. God bless him and good luck in his future. For now, just keep Moyes.

You want Moyes out, Peter? Fine. But, statements like, "Each of these men would out-coach and out-think David Moyes" is bullshit. Let them labor for years under Moyes' restraints, and then I'm taking that comment seriously. By the by, one of the reasons I read your post with skepticism is you neglected the obvious choice; Bruce Arena. Should have been in the EPL 15 years ago; absolutely after the 2002 World Cup. Even now.
Eric Myles
41   Posted 08/11/2011 at 01:13:42

Craig #26, Love it.

NSNO - Need Some New Owners

Should become the new club motto!!
Peter Fearon
42   Posted 08/11/2011 at 04:07:49

James Flynn #37: I didn't really give Bruce Arena close consideration, partly because I don't think he would leave his comfort zone at LA Galaxy at age 60, abandoning a great lifestyle to take on a very difficult assignment in a league of which he knows next to nothing. He doesn't need a bigger rep than the one he has in the U.S. He has proved what he wants to prove. As for Moyes laboring for years under restraints, nobody is restraining Moyes from playing attacking football or fielding two strikers or making positive substitutions when losing. Nobody forced Moyes to buy Bilyaletdinov or Yakubu or for that matter Fellaini, none of whom had the impact he expected.
Eric Myles
43   Posted 08/11/2011 at 07:26:37

"none of whom had the impact he expected."

You should have lent him your crystal ball Peter so he would have known like you did that they would not have an impact.
Anto Byrne
44   Posted 08/11/2011 at 08:21:07

When David Moyes arrived 10 yrs ago he gave us belief, he said we were the peoples club and he also said he wanted to win every game, he wanted us to play football on the deck and to challenge the establishment top 4 we all know who they are. Over the last 10yrs Moyes has slowly built a team of solid professionals. Howard is a good keeper makes the odd mistake and never stops any of those 35-40yarders.Distin and Baines are class acts no question. Rodwell and Felli are quality footballers. Cahill and Saha are suffering from past the use by date. Bily looks a different player for Russia. Ossie Hibbert Jags Neville Coleman and McFaddon are good clubmen and would be best described as fringe players. Drethe, Velios Barklay Magye and the Strac well unless we play them and give them a run of 5-6 games we will never know.
We have about 5-6 young players coming thru but wont get the real experience they need playing in lower divisions all they really get it match fitness. So where to with this squad? A new boss will want to rebuild around the quality we have and add to it no doubt and for me that is maybe 4-5 new faces of course a few players will have to move on. I dont think a new manager can perform miracles but if he comes to play positive and attractive football in the Everton tradition then it can only be good for the club. For me David Moyes looks like a beaten man, looks scared, has lost his fire, and that just abouts sums EFC at the moment. We have two games that we should get points from but Bolton and Wolves are not going to lie down and roll over. Nothing less than 6 pts from these games will do. The honourable thing to do is resign and give it to someone else. Perhaps Neville is the man for the job?

Danny Lizars
45   Posted 08/11/2011 at 08:31:34

Moyes has to go! He has to go even if Kenwright goes first! Yes hes done a good job for us over the years but his negativity now is a joke. I hate hearing from him and in some cases on here that we lack the creativity in the final third or that the strikers need to start scoring. Could this be anything to do with the way the team is coached during the week and how they are set out to play? (4-5-1, with at times 6 defenders on the pitch even against the teams we should be beating) The Yak wasnt a bad player when he came to us and neither was AJ so was it coached out of them? (I know at times the Yak was lazy.) We dont have the resources to go out and buy quality expensive players but we do have some good players at the club that when played in the CORRECT positions and COACHED well they could do a much better job than whats being done now.

Can anybody say that if we had some new multi billionaire owner that they would want David Moyes as manager?? I used to think i would without hesitation to give him a go with some money but he has had a little money to spend (Fellaini, Billy, Yak, AJ etc) and look where its got us now. His problem is his negativity at times and unless that changes things are not looking good

David Mathieson
46   Posted 08/11/2011 at 11:21:48

If Phil Neville manages Everton I am done with the club. The Everton I reminisce on has Joe Royle in charge, Dave Watson as captain, we actually tried to win games as well as having fans united to rid a weak board and or manager.

All we have now is fans of David Moyes and Captain Manchester, Everton has lost it's roots wanting Kirkby etc and it's ambition very sad.
Domino Darkley
47   Posted 08/11/2011 at 13:49:32

"When David Moyes arrived 10 yrs ago he gave us belief, he said we were the peoples club and he also said he wanted to win every game, he wanted us to play football on the deck and to challenge the establishment top 4 we all know who they are"

================

He couldn't have said that bout the "establishment top four" because ten years ago there was a virtual duopoly between United and Arsenal.

Chelsea were still owned by Ken Bates and Liverpool were pretty much where they are now.

Leeds were the big threat to Arsenal and United and Newcastle had been regular CL participants.
Anto Byrne
48   Posted 08/11/2011 at 14:42:09

I am sick of the shite football served up by this great football club. I am not alone and a lot of evertonians have had a gutful of the negative dross and ultra defensive shit. I have watched this team for 50yrs and it makes me ill watching this shit. Only one person is responsible and that person has to go.
Tony J Williams
49   Posted 08/11/2011 at 15:28:23

Anto, we haven't been a "great" club since the 80's.

Good list Peter but playing Devil's advocate

1 - Been out of a job for 2/3 years, will take one look at us and give us the finger

2 - Fired from his last job, not a great recommendation on his skills

3 - Fired from his last job, not a great recommendation on his skills

4 - Didn't qualify for the last World Cup, may not qualify for the Euros, nothing screams "Winner" than not qualifying for major touraments.

5- No idea who he is so can't comment

6 - A 33% win ratio with Sheff U and, as with most managers, taking Wales nowhere.
Peter Fearon
50   Posted 08/11/2011 at 15:53:49

Tony Williams - the vast majority of available managers at every level were at some point fired from their previous jobs. If that was an obstacle there would be a lot of managers without jobs and a lot of clubs without managers. The strange thing is that in this debate about Moyes no-one who supports him seems to have any doubt that he could walk into Alex Ferguson's job - even though he is currently driving us into the Championship! Some CV! If Moyes were fired tomorrow he would have to take a job with a club with even less prospects than Everton.
Phillip Greenhow
51   Posted 08/11/2011 at 21:28:15

Moyes is not going to leave anytime soon. Even if 36000 people at the next home game stood up and screamed for it to happen.

Kenwright has already said he wont ever sack moyes...and Kenwright has proven on countless occasions that he does not give a flying fig what the fans want or think.

Everton FC have been mismanaged into a position where there is only one option to save and restore our great club.....a buy out by someone with a lot of money!!
Jeremy Buckley
52   Posted 09/11/2011 at 09:04:35

Not a bad list in my opinion - some less than obvious ones in there but well thought out. Personally I'd like to see the club bring in an attacking coach alongside Moyes at the helm. His defensive tactics have kept us in the top half of the table consistently and if we could bring in an attacking coach too then who knows?
Daniel A Johnson
53   Posted 09/11/2011 at 12:23:30

I'd go for

NEIL WARNOCK

Never managed a big club but has done well with teams on a shoestring budget and his teams alwyas play for a win.

I'm sure he would love a chance at Everton.

Moyes for me now is the ultimate coward, a general who tells his troops not to fight but to just lie down and die. A manager who defends againts the inevitable defeat rather than playing for the win.

I'm sick of him and after 10 yrs its time for a fresh approach.
Tony J Williams
54   Posted 09/11/2011 at 12:27:54

Just a quick look on Wiki for Warnock, as I was curious about him.

Two points stood out which I thought was interesting.

Firstly with Palace he was let go because apparently he told teh administrator "he did not have the stomach for the fight to save the club"

Secondly about QPR, he got them promoted "Using a new 4?2?3?1 formation built around playmaker Adel Taarab"

So not only did he not have the stomach to help fight with an ailing club, his favoured formation for promotion was a variation of a 4-5-1.

He will do fecking wonders here then!!!

ps. I also think he is a bit of a tit, always joking and smiling after his team gets beat but "that's the premiership for you...great innit?" feck off
Daniel A Johnson
55   Posted 09/11/2011 at 12:35:00

Say what you like what was ths score when we played QPR
Tony J Williams
56   Posted 09/11/2011 at 12:40:30

Yep, we got beat 1-0 and their ultra attacking style had 3 shots on goal all game, 1 off target and 1 corner in the 90 minutes.

"I've never been busier. We're going to try to bring four or five players in who can help us. I'm really looking forward to it, to really competing. I'd be very surprised if I don't get the players in" he said, well he will have a nice easy time of it here, as he will be getting no-one in.
Tony J Williams
57   Posted 09/11/2011 at 12:44:47

So, going with your thinking, does that mean Moyes was a better manager than Ancheloti and Manccini last season then? We beat Citteh twice and beat Chelsea 1-0 too
Daniel A Johnson
58   Posted 09/11/2011 at 12:46:15

Yeah great attitude Tony you just come into this thread to slag everyones suggestion of a replacement for Moyes to high heaven whilst offering none yourself.
Tony J Williams
59   Posted 09/11/2011 at 12:50:42

Not slaging them off, just offering the same kind of view that Moyes gets. If posters want to pick up on his bad points, why can't the same be done to prospective replacements? It's only fair isn't it?

Why should I offer any names?

I actaully think that no matter who comes here, they will soon have the same shitty demeanour that Moyes now has.

No money to spend, an ageing and reducing squad. Apart from the wages, I have no idea which "good" manager would want to come to us.

It's no surprise that when we had money to spend at the start of the close season, we did well. we qualified for Europe. Once the money stopped, we dropped down places, not many but enough to miss out in Europe.

We are slipping even more now, we are loaning out players and bringing in frees or untried youngsters.

Apparantly though, it's quite easy. All Moyes had to do was notice we needed a new winger and forward and go out and get him.

We brought in a winger and a forward, on loan, one may turn out ok, the other is gash
Andy Crooks
60   Posted 09/11/2011 at 18:03:14

Good post Tony @59. We are getting to the stage of being unattractive to young ambitious managers. Poor stadium, clueless corrupt chairman and a squad devoid of morale and lacking in guile, creativity,spirit and ambition. Our only hope is to find someone from the lower divisions who will bring an instant spark.
Moyes is done, well and truly done. However ,Round as caretaker is the ultimate guarantee of relegation.
Domino Darkley
61   Posted 09/11/2011 at 19:13:30

On the other hand, Andy, we pay top quid.

Over three million quid a year makes EFC very, very attractive to "young, ambitious managers".

EFC is still a massive job and I imagine it would be very appealing on account of it is a win/win situation.

A man who turns it round will be hailed as a guru.

And if he fails, well. it's the lack of funds, innit

As someone else said, a vacancy at our club will see a queue right round the ground and down Spellow Lane.
Tony J Williams
62   Posted 10/11/2011 at 09:37:45

Domino, Moyes wasn't on "top quid" when he started, he negotiated a great pay increase for his new contract.

These "young, ambitious managers" won't get the same money as Moyes, nowhere near it and they shouldn't either. Our manager has ten years experience of being a premiership manager, the new up and coming manager has zero experience.

Can you imagine offering the same money and after a few months he turns out to be worse than Moyes and we then can't afford to sack him, the same way Kenwrong can't afford to sack Moyes....but even worse, as he would have a longer contract to pay off.
Domino Darkley
63   Posted 10/11/2011 at 18:18:52

The world has moved on since Moyes came, Tony....a new manager might not be on the preposterous money Moyes is on but it would still pay a fabulous salary.

I know we can't afford to sack Moyes. I have said it often enough on here and if we could afford to sack him, he would be long gone by now.

I'm only saying that those who think we wouldn't be attractive to any "young, ambitious manager" are wrong.

Manager of Everton FC is still a big job in English soccer and we would attract plenty of both aspiring and establsihed candidates., no matter what the Sad Sacks try to tell us to the contrary.
Tony J Williams
64   Posted 11/11/2011 at 11:27:48

"I'm only saying that those who think we wouldn't be attractive to any "young, ambitious manager" are wrong"

You may be right, However, my view is that it would probably be more detrimental to an ambitious young managers career to come here.

Within a season and a half his team will be crumbling before his eyes, no money to buy replacements and the entire Goodison crowd expecting miracles from him.

No idea why a manger would see us as a good move and as I have suggested previously, I am surprised that Moyes hasn't walked yet. He is surely a millionnaire now, so it can't be that much about the money
Domino Darkley
65   Posted 11/11/2011 at 17:34:32

His ego.

You see, Tony, you are underestimating our club.

Moyes could walk out as EFC has made him very wealthy but I think we are all prety much in agreement here now that after Everton is all downhill for him.

A Sunderland perhaps, or Blackburn.

With a few quid to spend perhaps.

And with his limited tactical nous the chances are he would start stuggling there as well and the fans and chairman won't be making excuses for him.

It'll be his P45 and then Mr Moyes will take his true place on the English magerial merry-go-round with the likes pf Fat Sam, Steve Bruce and Alex McLeish.

He is shrewd enough to stay where the money is fabulous and the pressure is nil.
James Flynn
66   Posted 11/11/2011 at 23:13:50

Peter (42) Apologize for not replying sooner.

As peculiar as it may seem for an EPL team to hire an American manager, all Arena has done in his career is build winning teams. Whatever and wherever those teams might be, he's only had success; most evident with our Top 8 finish (and we outplayed Germany) in the 2002 WC after finishing 32nd in 1998.

You listed a nice selection of potential managers for EFC. Arena would be better than most of them.