Season 2011-12

The moment has come

28 Comments: First  |  Last

There is an old Woody Allen joke which goes, "most of the time I don't have much fun and for the rest of the time I don't have any fun at all". Now, Woody is probably not a Blue but the gag sums up how Evertonians feel right now.

This is my 60th season and I have not felt so pessimistic since the 1950's when only my youthful enthusiasm kept me going. Fortunately, John Moores arrived to save us from from a mediocre (or worse) future; without Moores it is difficult to imagine where we would have gone.

Which brings me to the presnt day. Everton played a big part in John Moores' life and in turn played a big part in Everton's history. The Moores family are still shareholders and I cannot understand why they do not become involved again during these dark days for the club. They would be perfect benefactors who like Sir John before could change our history.

Does anyone know why they remain on the outside while the club slowly crumbles?
Brian Keoghan, Liverpool     Posted 07/11/2011 at 18:28:22

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Trevor Mackie
1   Posted 07/11/2011 at 22:19:03

The most oft quoted reason Brian is they won't deal with Kenwright, which begs the question: Would they come to the rescue if he slung his hook?
Jay Harris
2   Posted 07/11/2011 at 22:30:10

Agree with Trevor.

They don't want anything to do with Kenwright and they also are not that into football.

Sir John, great man that he was, could not pass the genes on to the next generation who have mostly proved to be spoilt morons.
Kenn Crawford
3   Posted 07/11/2011 at 23:17:23

Do we know of anyone other than the ginger haired muppet we call a manager who would have anything to do with Kenwright!!!!
Domino Darkley
4   Posted 07/11/2011 at 23:55:05

Jenny Seagrave
Richard Jones
5   Posted 08/11/2011 at 00:32:46

Barrymore!!
James Flynn
6   Posted 08/11/2011 at 00:46:01

Kenn (3) - The line will be around the block to take his job. An EPL manager position? Around the block and down the street.
Eric Myles
7   Posted 08/11/2011 at 01:20:38

As others have said, Lord Grantchester and his mum won't deal with Kenwright and his cronies.
Kirk McArdle
8   Posted 08/11/2011 at 03:32:04

Then surely that is what Keith Harris or everyone's "Friend" Philip "can't spend anymore than 90 days here" Green is for.

Shareholders worth £1.2 Billion cannot find a way to talk to a chairman who has ruined their familys legacy who is worth LESS than every chairman in the Championship.

FFS.

Does anyone know what kind of "consultation" fee that Harris will be charging??

Or does this form part of £21 Million other operating costs??
Eric Myles
9   Posted 08/11/2011 at 05:07:25

I think it's more than just not talking to Billy Liar, it's not wanting to put money into the charlatan's pocket, or those of his shyster 'friends'.

Would you?
Kirk McArdle
10   Posted 08/11/2011 at 07:33:44

Eric, The way that I see it is this. The Grantchester family know Bill cannot fund this club/business.

BK knows that the Grantchester's are hugely wealthy and thinks that they COULD be the only saviours, and that although £180 - £200 Million would be a dent, that they could easily survive on the odd Billion.

The Grantchester's know that NONE of the existing board members have dipped into their own pockets to add anything to the club/business apart from the shareholding purchase.

Conclusion - Stalemate.

Real losers - Us, the fans.

If only the price to buy the club was actually known. (IF the club is even for sale is debateable)

I do not even want the "£500 Million" buyer.

Someone to buy the club at a resonable figure, have a staged re-development of GP & a £15 - 20 Million transfer budget per season, is all that we really need.

Obviously, this is too much to ask for!!
Eric Myles
11   Posted 08/11/2011 at 08:08:08

Well as you point out Kirk,

1. the club really has to be for sale.

2. it has to be a reasonable figure.

One of those has to be the reason for us not being bought?
Danny Lizars
12   Posted 08/11/2011 at 08:13:19

I know its been asked many times but what is the price for Everton Football Club?? Why the fuck does Bullshit Bill not come out and say "This is how much I want"?
Richard Dodd
13   Posted 08/11/2011 at 10:25:01

The Grantchesters are no longer `into` football, don`t gell with BK, and aren`t rich enough to make a dent in our woes!
Dick Fearon
14   Posted 08/11/2011 at 10:22:22

Relegation could be the making of our club and by that I mean relegation of the RS.

It may not be that far fetched an idea with some of their expensive signings not up to scratch and the diving antics of main man Suarez very quickly sussed out by Refs and opponents. Their new found franchisee has warned that anything less than 4th is not acceptable. It's not that long ago since they were ripping themselves apart. I can only Imagine the blood letting if they went 6 games without a win.

Daglish is looked upon as their saviour but he spits the dummy when the going gets tough. To top everything off, H & G have come back to haunt them and that pair must have something in their locker worth the huge legal costs.

Now, wasn't that bit of flotsam a nice change from the usual gloom of TW?
Tom Bowers
15   Posted 08/11/2011 at 13:04:21

Well on current form and attitude by the ''bosses'' relegation is a real possibility. Even Manure tasted it before they became what they are today.

Some of the current squad are barely Championship standard anyway and Moyes picking them just proves he should be there too!

They seem to have their heads in the ground regarding investment from outside and that is why this once great club is falling way behind.

Thank God they don't have a game this weekend. I couldn't stand another poor performance with all the usual comments by Moyes afterwards.
Brian Keoghan
16   Posted 08/11/2011 at 14:23:52

Yes, I have heard the rumour of the Kenwright/Granchester rift which has never been confirmed or denied by either side.I did write to our intrepid "Echo" journalist, Dave Prentice on the matter but all I received was a deafening silence. If there is no truth in all this, why don't the club come out and say so, so that we can all move on?

However, if there is a problem between them which is blocking the future progress of the club, then thousands of Evertonians surely have a right to know. Now is the time for transparency within the walls of Goodison as our custodians have let us down so badly during the last 25 years.
Brian Harrison
17   Posted 08/11/2011 at 14:47:20

I can't believe anyone is suggesting Lord Grantchester or Lady Grantchester could be the saviours of our club. Their Father and Grandfather respectively was a great man for our club, what he did was underwright the debts of the club.

Yet both his Daughter and Grandson couldn't wait to offload his shares to Peter Johnson, so I don't think they have any affinity for our club. I can't understand why anyone even mentions them as a solution.
Pat Kennedy
18   Posted 08/11/2011 at 14:52:53

Dick Fearon -post 14

WTF have any perceived problems/issues for the RS got anything to do with our own mounting problems?

brainless posts like this only give substance to comments made to me by RS friends & relatives along the lines of: ' if you want to know how Liverpool are doing ask an Evertonian'......

FFS lets worry about our own club - we've got nothing to boast about right now and as for the possibility of relegation, I've got more concerns about us playing host to Ipswich or Barnsley nexy season of we don't get a grip ASAP.
Michael Kenrick
19   Posted 08/11/2011 at 15:21:04

Brian (#18); I think you're spot on: the Grantchesters are not interested.

The confusing thing for some is that Lord Grantchester does still hold a significant wedge of Everton Shares... 2,773 or 7.9% of the 35k outstanding.

Spare a thought for the 'small' Everton Shareholder; if the latest missive from the People's Group is on the level, the club should be sold for the debt, which by my simple reckoning would render said shares as worthless.

Hang on a minute... I'm a Shareholder!
Lee Smith
20   Posted 08/11/2011 at 15:30:25

Michael #20, if indeed it were to happen (which it won't!) and the club is sold for the value of the debt, surely that only effects the majority shareholders who actually sell their shares to the new buyer?

When they say 'sell the club for the value of the debt), doesn't that mean that the existing shares are just transfered to the new owner for a nominal fee? In other words, if Kenwright, Woods and Earl sell their shares (approx 68% of total shares?) for a nominal fee, then that would give the new owners a controlling stake, and the minor shareholders, such as yourself, would keep hold of their share(s).

There would be no reason why the share value would decrease, as the other shares would just be transfered to the new buyer and could very well hold their value, or even increase if investment is made in the club? Or am I talking jive turkey?!
Brian Keoghan
21   Posted 08/11/2011 at 17:11:51

Brian (18) and Michael (20) ? you may be right and The Grantchesters are not interested and could have valid reasons for being so; however, that was not really the point.

My point was that, IF there was a rift between Kenwright and the Moores family, we the supporters should (in these troubled times) know about it. There certainly was friction at the time of the Johnson take over and the sale to Kenwright's "True Blue Holdings" amongst the involved parties. Lord Grantchester allegedly was opposed to Johnson and Lady Grantchester would not become involved with True Blue Holdings over Kenwright's association with Johnson.

What we need to know is, is this "rift" real or not? Is it a stumbling block in the seach for investment? Surely there is no harm in the interests of clarity of finding the truth?
Michael Mcloughlin
22   Posted 08/11/2011 at 19:31:21

That post sums up exactly how I feel Nuff said
Nathan Ward
23   Posted 08/11/2011 at 20:17:51

Danny #12 - in fairness to BK, he nor anyone are going to actually say what the real price is for the club.

Given the financial mess behind the scenes any price he gets will have to be well fought for.

Apart from the clubs on the stock market (and Wolves) I can't recall a club advertising how much is required to purchase it
Dick Fearon
24   Posted 08/11/2011 at 21:18:36

Pat #19,
All Evertonians are engulfed in a shroud of despondency and my poke at our so called friendly nearest enemy was an admittedly weak attempt at diverting some of the unrelenting gloom.

Slowly but surely our own faint hopes are being ground down by a manager who cannot or will not accept that his methods are much to blame for the teams performance and crowd anger.

In the same sad mix we have a pathetic board of directors, a decrepit stadium and unless there is a huge change for the better we are faced with a terminal decline. I admit to being a the kind of saddo who gleans his bit of joy from the misfortune of the RS. It is becoming my only relief from the inevitability of our descent into oblivion.

The alternative is to join with the rest of the Hyenas in scavenging the entrails of my beloved Everton. It will probably shock horror to modern more genteel and politically correct minds when I say that regardless of the Everton result my weekend is not perfect unless the other lot get beat. Despite weasily words to the contrary, there are many Reds who hold similar views.
Eric Myles
25   Posted 09/11/2011 at 02:09:31

Nathan, how come a guy on the dole in a bedsit in Manchester can be told the selling price of the club but the fans can't?
Stephen Kenny
26   Posted 09/11/2011 at 08:23:40

Kenn,

Elvis??? Apparently he was big mates with Eddie cavanagh too!!!

Oh almost forgot.... Big Syl has offered him a part in Rocky 7 as Rocky's promoter. Rumours are he can't get Rocky a fight.
Adrian Breeden
27   Posted 09/11/2011 at 14:48:17

I've read a lot about Everton's performances and the misery of our plight at present, but in response to some suggestions that they "need" relegation to sort themselves out, I say that if you look at Everton's longevity record in the top flight, this MUST NOT happen. They've been up there for 57 consecutive years, 8 more years than Liverpool (wouldn't those Redsox love it if that ended). Also, Everton have the record for overall longevity in the top flight, well over a 100 years.

I'm not sure of the exact number of years, can somebody help there?

Pat Kennedy
28   Posted 09/11/2011 at 15:05:58

Dick - Post #24

Fair enough! It really is hard work being a blue right now and I share your anger & frustration.

Unlike many on here I don't take pleasure/pain in any Liverpool failures/successes, I simply try to ignore them. I come from a mixed family of reds/blues and it's best for all of us to concentrate on our own team - my mother used to pray for a draw every derby day!

Suffice to say, I'm more gloomy about our future than they are about theirs. It's all perspective and I'm afraid we as a fanbase have now for the most part allowed mediocrity to become ingrained in our accepted standards.

We are 1 place above relegation and playing like shit and most blues are saying 'don't worry we'll be fine'.