Season 2011-12

Away game memories

52 Comments: First  |  Last

Today I got the 10 into town and then the number 19 bus down to Goodison to buy a couple of Under 18 tickets for Saturday's game against Bolton from the Park End box office. I?ve been wanting to go to an away game for a while now, but there never seemed to be any available, due to our famous travelling support! However this time it was different; in fact there seemed to be more than plenty available. A sign of the times maybe? Are people falling out of love with the club? Or have they just not got the money they once had? Who knows, but I wasn?t going to ponder it for too long as I snuck out of sixth form early to get the tickets.

For me, it never gets old. Once the 19 goes past the other stadium in Liverpool, loops around Stanley Park and Goodison comes into view, it always brings a smile to my face, remembering good times, bad times and plenty of indifferent times too. My greatest Goodison memory is beating Newcastle to qualify for the Champions League in 2005, now I know that probably seems like nothing to most of the older, well-travelled Blues on here, but to me as a young 11-year-old, it truly felt we was on top of the world. That was when Moyes was at his peak, and I guess it?s just all gone slightly downhill ever since.

But on Saturday it will be an altogether different affair when me and my mate get on the train from St Helens to Bolton via Wigan and then from Bolton to Horwich armed with a few cans of Strongbow. Now as a 17-year-old (almost 18 in fairness) I guess I?m a late starter to away games but, listening to my Dad?s memories (they all come out when he?s pissed!) of his first away game against Preston with my Uncle and Grandad; of travelling down to Brighton on the back of his mate's bike for a midweek League Cup tie with work the next morning; of having a bit of a tear up with the London police after a game against Arsenal, then having to explain to Nan why he was late home; and finally of getting the ferry over to Rotterdam for arguably the greatest night in Everton Football Club's history ? really do send shivers down the spine.

So two question?s for my fellow Toffee Webbers;

1) What?s your favourite away day memory?

And (arguably most importantly!)

2) Are there any decent pubs in Bolton for a couple of lads to do a spot of (slightly) underage drinking before the match?!

COYB
Adam Cunliffe, St Helens     Posted 23/11/2011 at 13:58:49

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Norman Merrill
1   Posted 23/11/2011 at 14:43:16

Adam,
My favourite away memory was at Bolton, but at the old stadium, Burnden Park, when we defeated Man Utd in the FA Cup semi-final in 1966, thanks to a goal from Colin Harvey.

As for the drinking dens in Bolton, I am sure you will soon find some, I don't want to encourage.
Tony J Williams
2   Posted 23/11/2011 at 15:01:04

Don't get to many away games but I can certainly tell you my worst: Fulham, April 2005. I travelled all the way down there, hassle with the stewards, shite ground, shite pubs... and we got beat because Richard Wrong couldn't keep his eyes on the ball.

Absolutely hated it.
Paul Traill
3   Posted 23/11/2011 at 15:06:38

Think The Beehive is about the only away pub for fans if you're wanting a drink by the ground. Wouldn't have a clue otherwise though.
Ray Robinson
4   Posted 23/11/2011 at 15:23:42

1984-85 season, Stoke away at the old Victoria Ground when we cantered to a 2-0 win on the way to winning the league. Why? Because three sides of the ground were full of travelling Blues ? and the police had the cheek to keep us all in afterwards while the sparsely populated Stoke kop cleared after the match!
Adam Bennett
5   Posted 23/11/2011 at 15:48:29

If European games count then Nurnberg away was an absolute belter!

If not, then Derby away when we won 4-3, Moyes?s second game in charge. An unbelievable game, end to end, shots and goals flying in all over the place. Dancing around at 4-1 up thinking Moyes was going to win us the league next season. Then shitting myself when we were still charging forward and conceded two! My god, how things have changed!

As for pubs at Bolton, as Paul said, The Beehive is the only one I know of, think the road is called Chorley New Road. Bit a walk (about 15 mins or so). It?s facing a massive roundabout.
Colin Potter
6   Posted 23/11/2011 at 15:39:31

One of my favourite away games was in 1953. We needed to win 7-0 to win the old 2nd Division. It was 4-0 at half-time, but in 2nd half we just could not score again, so we finished being 2nd to Sheff Wed.

I also remember it for the way Oldham treated the Everton fans by having the outside walls, at the top, covered in tar to stop the fans climbing over. Fortunately I had a ticket, otherwise my old lady would have knocked seven sorts of blue out of me!!
James Thomas
7   Posted 23/11/2011 at 16:24:05

Being a London based blue for my entire life my experience of home and away games is almost the polar opposite to yours Adam as I only used to be able to go to away games against London opposition as a youngster. I didn?t get to a Goodison game until I was about 15, and then we lost 1-0 to an awful Portsmouth side in as bad a game as I can ever remember seeing. Age, my own disposable income, and the fantastic services provided by ESCLA have allowed me to get to many more games in recent years, including away days outside of London. My top three away days would be as follows:

Arsenal 1 Everton 2 ? 1996

The two ?very jolly but very rude? (I was too young to realised they were smashed) scousers in front of me and my dad seemed to have some sort of vendetta against ?the fucking Barry Horne? laughing at his every touch. I was wearing my Kanchelskis shirt when he picked the ball up in front of us on the wing and smashed home the winner in what I remember as being the last minute. Pandemonium ensued with the two jolly men picking me up for a great big hug.

Chelsea 1 Everton 1 (3-4 Penalties) ? 2011

My girlfriend?s first away game. Nerve-wracking tension, followed by an explosion of joy. Simply the best match I?ve ever been too in terms of euphoria at the victory. I wrote a piece on her about it even?.

Wolves 0 Everton 3 ? 2011

This was probably my first ?proper? away day. Taking the train up to Wolverhampton with the ESCLA boys with my mate getting on at Birmingham we sank a couple of beers each in twenty minutes at 10am?.An astonishing first half mauling (I?d never seen us win by more than one goal before) with a screamer from Phil Neville (!) and a day of continual drinking across Wolves (worst town in the world), Birmingham and Nottingham?.I don?t remember anything of Nottingham but what a day and what a weekend!
Danny Broderick
8   Posted 23/11/2011 at 16:26:23

It has to be Nuremberg. The police were putting up the Everton flags on the walls of the castle in the old town for us. The beer was flowing. For 3 days all you heard was the Mikel Arteta song on every corner. Everyone you bumped into was a scouser. The whole city was taken over. The locals didn't mind a bit, they loved it. What a trip.

For my dad's generation, they had Rotterdam. For my generation (32), we had Nuremberg.
Peter Barnes
9   Posted 23/11/2011 at 16:44:40

Two spring to mind for different reasons:

The Milk Cup Final in 84 when we "kind of got on" pre-Heysel with the RS.

Also, two seasons back, Birmingham City. We asked what looked like a friendly steward where the away end was and he pointed down the ground which resulted in us completing a total circumnavigation of the ground only to end up virtually back to were we had asked him. Anyone who has been to St Andrews will tell you that can't actualy walk around the ground ? you have to go away from it to actually get round it.

I can still remember that bastards face; if they are ever back in the Prem, I will have some words for him.
Andrew Ellams
10   Posted 23/11/2011 at 16:51:31

Ray @4, that was my first ever away game, was astonished by the number of Blues in the ground. If my memory serves me correctly, that was the game that officially condemned them to relegation too, so Everton's last ever league game at the old Victoria Ground.
Colin Oakes
11   Posted 23/11/2011 at 17:20:51

That night in Rotterdam '85. Playing football with a gang of local youths and police. Drinking and singing with the thousands of Celtic fans that travelled gave us their support. Magical times indeed.
Ray Robinson
12   Posted 23/11/2011 at 18:16:46

Andrew @10. Yes, Stoke did indeed get relegated that season. Their previous midweek attendance had been about 4,000 but when we arrived there were 18,000 plus on the ground. Crowds weren't big in the 80's so 14,000 or so travelling Blues was phenomenal.
Sam Higgins
13   Posted 23/11/2011 at 19:02:39

1995 away at Wembley. Beat the Mancs 1-0, won the FA Cup. Superb.
Brian Keoghan
14   Posted 23/11/2011 at 19:13:12

Bolton away (at Burnden Park) was always a good fixture for Everton; we seemed to play them at Christmas (home and away) in the fifties and more often than not came out on top. I can recall 5-1, 3-0 and 4-3 victories when Bolton were a top four side (Nat Lofthouse et al !). Later (1966 FA Cup semi-final) we beat Man Utd (Charlton, Law, Styles and co) 1-0 at Burnden and Bolton themselves by the same score in the League cup semi of 1977. Reebok, not so good sadly.
Peter Mills
15   Posted 23/11/2011 at 20:29:57

Late 1977, I'd just gone away to college in Gloucestershire, was feeling a bit homesick so got in my van and drove to London and went to Loftus Road where Big Bob made me feel a whole lot better by scoring 4 of the Blues' 5 goals. Van broke down on the way home but it really didn't matter.

As he did for the remaining 3 years I was away, my dear old dad sent me the match report from the Daily Post on the Monday. He's one of the biggest Blues ever and is in hospital at the moment, so get well soon Dad.
Roger Barrett
16   Posted 23/11/2011 at 20:34:22

Leicester. Away 1985 2-1
Spurs away 1985 2-1
Arsenal away 1987 1-0
Aston Villa away 1987 1-0
Norwich away 1987 1-0
Southampton away 1987 4-0
Sheffield Wed away 1988 FA Cup 3rd round 3rd replay 5-0
Leeds away 2003 1-0

Peter Mills
17   Posted 23/11/2011 at 20:43:22

ps, the Brinsop Arms on Chorley Old Road, on the other side of the M61 to the Reebok, is a decent pub.
Dave Lynch
18   Posted 23/11/2011 at 21:16:35

That famous game. Away to Oxford. Me and me mate didn't have a ticket and blagged our way into one of the paddocks. When Inchy scored I went nuts, got cuffed by a Oxford fan and dragged out by a copper who also cuffed me when chucking me out.
My mate went schtum and when we met up after the game I called him a shithouse, he just smiled and said. "I maybe a shithouse, but I'm no idiot ? unlike you."
Frank Duffy
19   Posted 23/11/2011 at 21:36:43

1984 Anfield Sharp
Sol Walker
20   Posted 23/11/2011 at 21:31:18

FA cup Southampton at the Dell under Gordon Lee, Keegan had arrived there and were big favourites.

We drew and won the replay at Goodison.

But never has an away ground ever been so overwhelmed I can't remember which player referred to it (possibly Asa Hartford) but as the players lined up for the second half the massed blue ranks filling half the ground belted out "we're on the march with Gordon's army". A tangible fearful silence filled the saints fans and Asa? said "it made you feel 10ft tall, it was unbelievable."

When the spirit between us and the team is one we are a different animal.
John Anderson
21   Posted 23/11/2011 at 23:06:08

One of my most memorable, was the Ipswich away cup game in 85. Me and me mate sagged off school and bunked the special, which seemed to take an eternity to get there....
Mick Davies
22   Posted 23/11/2011 at 23:01:26

Spurs in 1976. I had a spell down in the smoke as a teenager and went to the ground with my brother. About 5 mins to go and losing 2-1 and under the cosh, we decided to head for the tube before the rush as we had to get to South London. Outside, a cab driver asked me the score and after I told him, his smug grin made me wish I'd said, "Fuck off".

That night, with nothing else on the telly (only 3 channels then) we turned to MotD. Watching our game with only minor interest, the last couple of mins blew my head off... it ended up a 3-3 draw!!! I've never left a ground early since, and I'd love a picture of that Hackney driver's face when he found out!
John Anderson
23   Posted 23/11/2011 at 23:13:31

We won 1-0, Sharpy getting the winner with a second-half penalty.

The journey home was a nightmare, trying to get my head down in the luggage rack above the seats, we didn't get back to Lime st untill about 2 in the morning and I had to walk all the way home to Rice Lane because I had no money for a taxi. Happy days indeed!
Paul Ferry
24   Posted 24/11/2011 at 02:59:12

Not even a close call (I'm 48):

Highbury semi-final 1984, deep into extra time, 117th minute, Sheedy free kick, Mountfield gets a head on it, right in front of the Blues in the old North Bank, sharp(y) intake of breath, Inchy in rising to all his height, Inchy heads it in, North Bank goes nuts, I lose one of my quite fetching trainers, we are going to Wembley. The M6 was nuts Blue that night.

Forgive me: Bayern (1985) was 2nd to that, and I was there at Rotterdam that year also. Inchy's header was almost as important as Oxford away, Inchy again, god bless him.
Ray Roche
25   Posted 24/11/2011 at 07:45:09

Wembley. 1966 FA Cup Final. Sadly overshadowed following another Cup Final held there later that year, but it was the best FA Cup Final ever.
John Waugh
26   Posted 24/11/2011 at 08:47:40

FA Cup Semi final at Elland Road 1995. 3 sides of the ground blue and I had come down from Edinburgh that morning having been best man at a wedding. Game and atmosphere was brilliant - one of those games (just like the final) that you KNEW you were going to win. Best bit though was the journey home and virtually every bridge over the M62 on the way back having blue flags over the side. Priceless memory.
Alan Williams
27   Posted 24/11/2011 at 08:01:31

Great post Adam, I have so many I can remember most just like Roger 16.

My first away game was Wolves, I have no idea what year but I remember they had protesters running on the pitch and sitting in the centre circle, does anyone have any idea what game this was and the score?

My first memory of GP was Bob Latchford's 30 goals, and the song ?Bobby Latchford walks on water?. We always used to get the special from Lime Street and had so many laughs, by the time the train got through the tunnels all the toilet paper had gone and the bulbs too for some reason but we had so much fun in the old style compartments.

Rotterdam was special as was Nurnberg; Villarreal was amazing as Blues everywhere and we had three nights in Valencia enjoying the local lager!

FA Cup semi at Elland Road 95 was good too but all got in a local working man's club early doors and got very drunk, got in the ground just at kick off and my mate then went the toilet behind the goal but went in the out entrance, the steward ejected him and he missed the whole game! Classic... and still today we wind him up when he goes to the little boys room.

Peter Mills, hope your Dad gets better, these post have made me think of my late farther and the games he took me special times, that?s why I take my son to as many games as possible so special. COYB
Chris Matheson
28   Posted 24/11/2011 at 09:13:10

Nice one, Adam.

I remember Bolton away in the cup, mid 90s I would guess. A high ball went into the box and Barry Horne chased after it alone, collided with the keeper and to this day I am convinced that it was the crowd who got him a straight red card. Terrible decision. That was in the days when the old Burnden Park had a Co-op built into one end.

I remember an away game at Arsenal when it was 2-2 after about ten minutes. We went on to lose 4-2, I think Ian Wright got all four of theirs.

I was there for the record low attendance game at Selhurst Park v Wimbleon. The Wimbledon chairman, Sam Hamman, was acting as ballboy for the big terrace behind the goal, which was empty. I went with my brother and a mate who was friends with Matt Jackson's girlfriend, and he had assured us that he could get us into the players' lounge after the match.

As the teams tropped off at the final whistle we shouted out to MJ but he didn't hear us, me and my brother went home but this lad (not even an Evertonian) hung around, MJ got him in and Howard Kendall bought him a drink. And I can't even remember the result of that match.
Andrew Ellams
29   Posted 24/11/2011 at 10:02:35

Frank @19, wasn't at that game but was staying with my Nan and Grandad and remember me and my Grandad listening to the game on Radio 2 and dancing round the room when that went in. Still the best goal ever by anybody in a derby. Closely followed by Andy King...
Roger Barrett
30   Posted 24/11/2011 at 10:06:22

Newport County, League Cup 2nd Round, 1986.
Kevin Hudson
31   Posted 24/11/2011 at 10:17:33

The Rat's 40-yard pea-roller at Anfield in '86.

I was stood in the Kop and swore I heard a pin drop.
Paul Thompson
32   Posted 24/11/2011 at 14:00:02

Fulham 1966. Alan Ball's (scoring) debut. Don't remember much of the game, but still savour the occasion. It was a lovely sunny day, we'd signed Ball after the World Cup win, we were a good team and Craven Cottage is in a great setting by the river. The coach arrived as we were walking to the ground and I remember the (many) blues bowing down to the new king. And we won. Magic.
Brian Harrison
33   Posted 24/11/2011 at 15:07:07

I remember going to Burnden Park to watch us play Bolton. I remember Fielding and Lello in midfield and Donavan and Tansey were our fullbacks Eglington on the wing and Dave Hickson up front. I think we won by the odd goal... can't remember what year, mind have difficulty remembering my own name these days.
Thomas McGrath
34   Posted 24/11/2011 at 17:20:14

Old Trafford League Cup quarter-final, 1977. No away fans went to Man Utd then; we took 12,000 and had the whole of the scoreboard end. And then went on to win 3-0 with goals from Andy King (2) and Martin Dobson.
Brian Keoghan
35   Posted 24/11/2011 at 17:52:41

14 Feb 1953. Dave Hickson's finest hour. Everton v Man Utd, 5th Round of the FA Cup; United were League champions while Everton were a mid-table 2nd Division team. The attedance that sunny Saturday was a staggering 77,000 plus.

United predictably took the lead with a goal from Rowley but before half time Eglington equalised and Hickson was carried off with a head wound. After the break, Hickson returned in a blood-stained shirt and carrying a sponge. His first action was to hurl himself at a centre from the right but his header struck the post and opened the wound again as more blood streamed down his face and shirt.

The Ref wanted Dave to leave the pitch but he refused and with minutes left to play he raced past two United defenders to score the winner. The legend was born!
Peter Mills
36   Posted 24/11/2011 at 19:55:30

Thank you Alan # 26.
Ian Bennett
37   Posted 24/11/2011 at 20:32:04

0-5 City away. Shocking performance, worst hangover of my life after heavy night in Manchester... chucked my guts up after 5th.

1-1 Anfield - Madar missed an open goal, Ince scored - Ferguson scored, Bally had a stormer and we celebrated by jumping all over the reds in the Annie Road end. Happy days.

Leicester away 1-0 - last minute penalty from Gary Speed. Was down seeing a mate at Leicster Uni ? great night and first win away for years?

United away 1-1, McFadden scored. Good performance by the Blues, no one fancied us. Put a pile of Croatians, Australians etc in their place in home end.
Rob Jones
38   Posted 24/11/2011 at 23:00:28

Alan (26), the Wolves game was late 70s and I think the score was 3:1 to us. My memories of that game were Paul Lodge played ok, the local top copper giving us a lecture about staying on the pavement on the walk from the station, then all the coppers abandoning the Everton end when all the protests started from the Wolves fans, and all hell letting loose at the end of the match as a result!
Danny Broderick
39   Posted 24/11/2011 at 23:53:54

Chris (27),

Were we on a terrace that day? I remember being at Burnden Park on a terrace when Barry Horne got sent off in the 90s and they made an announcement before kick off to congratulate John Parrott on becoming a dad that morning to a boy called Josh. I looked up, and there was John Parrott in the front row of the upper tier. Next thing, the Everton end all sung, 'There's only one Josh Parrott!' to a man. He seem to appreciate the gesture!

It was hardly a highlight though, we lost the game and so were out of the cup because of that...
Dave Randles
40   Posted 25/11/2011 at 00:36:13

Danny #37... if I remember correctly, after Barry Hooooooooooooorne got sent off, Rideout played in centre mid!
Shaun Sparke
41   Posted 25/11/2011 at 00:53:16

The FA Cup semi-final at Villa Park in 1985 always stands out. We had just come back from Munich a few days earlier and were ran ragged by a lively Luton Town. The players looked knackered and, after we went one down, there looked to be no way back.

With minutes to go we won a dodgy free-kick and Sheedy hit one of his worst free kicks of the season that somehow found the back of the net. Suddenly the players found extra energy and there was only one team in it. Sheedy cross, Mountfield's head, it was all over.
Paul McGinty
42   Posted 25/11/2011 at 03:10:42

I'll give you a few.

Bunking in at Dukla Prague in the 70s. Mingling with the team in the dressing room and watching the game from the team bench. Lost the game though and went out on away goals.

The Rats goal at Anfield which sneaked past Brucie for our win. I was in the Kop with my missus to be.

Inchy's late winner at Highbury in the FA Cup Semi-Final.

Big Bob Latchfords winner at Burnden Park in the League Cup second leg. Ronnie Goodlass put the cross right on his noggin. Duncan McKenzie missed a peno but we won anyway.

Stuffing Man U 3-0 at Old Trafford in the League Cup... Dai Davies's finest hour.

Maybe my favorite... knocking Villa out of the League Cup at Villa Park back in the 70s. Ten thousand or so Blues locked in at the whistle for our supposed safety. The team came back out to celebrate... got back to the City to hear the town hall bells ringing , as instructed by Evertonian Derek Hatton.

Away games were dangerous places but great fun... if you successfully avoided the occasional knife attack, that is!
Roger Barrett
43   Posted 25/11/2011 at 19:27:15

The Kanchelskis derby was good

Aston Villa 3-1 away, the year after Rooney fucked off, twatted them and pure delirium when the second and third went in.
Steve Mink
44   Posted 25/11/2011 at 19:32:51

1. The FA semi v Luton at Villa Park
2. Milk Cup 84
3. Rotterdam
4. Villa away (3-1) as per Roger #44. Probably the best footballing performance since the 84 side.

Speaking generally I'm especially fond of Fulham away - get a hangover just thinking about it.
Anthony Manning
45   Posted 25/11/2011 at 20:22:51

Nuremburg was pretty special, I went with Broderick (#39) and drank him under the table!!
Charles Mills
46   Posted 25/11/2011 at 20:22:59

Norman @1 is a good call as that semi was just so memorable and so is my brother Peter's @15.

Was anyone there at Roker Park in the winter of 1969-70 when we won 3-1 and Big Joe and Jimmy Husband took us to a memorable victory? I was!
Alan McGuffog
47   Posted 25/11/2011 at 20:45:50

Dear God, Roker in mid-winter! Must have been like Stalingrad. Best wishes Charlie and hope the father is on the mend.
Paddy McSweeney
48   Posted 25/11/2011 at 20:52:41

The Luton FA Cup Semi-Final at Villa Park. I was 10 and was my first year with a season ticket so went to all the home games and a lot of the big aways, including Rotterdam. Part of me says this should be the top one but, for me, snatching glory out of the depths of despair is unbeatable.

We hadn't played well and I had given up when Sheedy fired in the free kick... I will always remember the feeling of sheer joy as we rolled, swayed and jumped around the Holt End.

One of my regrets was not being at the Chelsea FA Cup game last season, another in that category.

And then, there was Rotterdam... the ferry full of Blues who got a special mention from the captain, the coach driving off on a Belgian motorway as my Dad was having a piss, Rotterdam full of blues, the thousands of Celtic fans, Blues playing football everywhere, Brian Labone sitting near us, the guys behind me saying as we left "You'll never forget this, lad!" Oh how right they were...
Peter Mills
49   Posted 25/11/2011 at 21:06:30

Fiorentina away. Now that was cold. And wet. And the police were not jolly. And our performance could have been a bit better.
Alan McGuffog
50   Posted 25/11/2011 at 21:23:26

A bicycle clip moment. Early 1972 and the three day week was on, miners strikes and all that. Cos of the electricity problems, power cuts and the like, some mid-week games were played during the afternoon.

At this time, I was a student in Manchester and we were playing United. I'd been to Old Trafford before a number of times and we always had nearly all of the Scoreboard End, as was. Never a problem. There were some rascals about in those days but I convinced a couple of other student mates to come with me... telling them that we would be amongst thousands of blues and would be unmolested.

So we turned up, all long lank hair and trenchcoats and me with my blue and white scarf, walked up the steps onto the terrace and were met with... feckin' thousands of United fans. Not a blue there !

Dunno whether it was 'cos it was an afternoon kick-off but our famous away following hadn't bothered. Knowing the inevitable would follow I've never sung so much in my life. I wasn't disappointed and got the biggest kicking of my life after the game.

The good old days.... my erse!
Ray Robinson
51   Posted 25/11/2011 at 21:40:27

Alan #50, I was there that day as a student from Bradford. It was 0-0 and Kendall hit the bar with a 30-yard piledriver. Never been so glad to see an Everton goal not materialise. Sorry that I didn't help you out in your moment of need. Me and my two mates were too busy keeping our heads down!
Adam Cunliffe
52   Posted 26/11/2011 at 11:03:05

Thank you for all your responses!

Just about to catch a nice early train with my mate Harry! Hope y'all enjoy the game if your going as much as I will.

Cheers