Season 2011-12

Defensive masterplan

13 Comments: First  |  Last

As an expat blue who's fortunate enough to call Australia home, I feel I must comment on my beloved blues.

Now don't get me wrong... I believe David Moyes has done a wonderful job from were we had been before he joined, but the dreadful stuff being produced by the so-called Moyesiah has got me worried for the future, and to listen to the players stating that it's time to start winning ugly leaves me in despair. Football now, like it or not, has become part of the entertainment business, and what we are producing surely cannot be described as entertaining... and surely can't get get any uglier.

With the wonders of satellite telly, 99% of Everton matches are shown live on the box down here, but due to time differences, kick-off is usually around 1am, and, like a drug addict looking for a fix, I find myself sitting in front of the box at that ungodly hour. I've tried to record it & watch it in the morning but how can you sleep when you know that one of the loves of your life is about 20 feet and a push of a button away? So I sit up hoping for a semi-attacking performance, not gung-ho all-out attack, just a bit of width & creativity & players looking to find space.

The thing that pisses me off the most with this defensive attitude is when we are defending a corner... For fuck's sake, leave at least one man up front! Wolves last week left Doyle there & the number of times he acted as an outlet holding up play from a clearance & bringing his midfield into the game was amazing compared to us, just handing possession over from a hoof upfield.

So I find myself hoping beyond hope that tonight's team selection does not have square pegs in round holes, does not have 6 or 7 defenders in the starting line up. The defensive masterplan from Moyes is strangling the life out of my passion for football & maybe scaring away impressionable young supporters as what's on offer, entertainment wise, is like watching an Oprah Winfrey show; as Evertonians, we deserve better.

David Moyes, your job is to get the best out of what you have to work with & if someone is not performing, you need to be big enough to drop your favourites & give someone else a go.

Rant over and 9 hours till kick-off. COYBs!!!!

Gary Lawler, Brisbane, Australia     Posted 26/11/2011 at 05:21:33

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Joe Aylward
1   Posted 26/11/2011 at 08:12:27

Nice one Gary - as an Adelaide Blue I share your frustrations - watching crap football is bad enough let alone waiting till 1.30am in the morning to see it. It's more Moyesdire than Moyesiah these days. but we all live in hope eh? COYB
Derek Thomas
2   Posted 26/11/2011 at 08:22:16

And me, here in Brisbane, what he said. Dire; and just a note on the foxtel (sky ) coverage most times we are not the premier match ( based on the quality we don't have a case ) all the current sky darlings are though; so ' viewers choice' it is then but you can't even record it and go to bed due to the way it's set up in the box, well at least to a technophobe like me.

But as to the footie, IMO Moyes could set us up better to make the most of what we have. I don't see keep it tight and pinch one as a viable 38 match Premier League tactic.
Michael Winstanley
3   Posted 26/11/2011 at 10:12:06

Nice to read Moyes maintaining Cahill will turn into a scoring machine. I for one have my doubts.

Will he set up with a defensive formation against a Bolton team who've conceded 17 goals at home in 6 games....oh wow maybe we're going to attack today. Suddenly I can see Moyes' optimism!!!
Stephen Kenny
4   Posted 26/11/2011 at 10:11:27

I'm only in Liverpool but I feel exactly the same.

I wouldn't mind if it was the opposition shackling us, but our own manager?

Just heard that Royston isn't starting and Rodwell may be on the bench if he has an injection.

My Team;

Howard
Coleman Jag Heitinga Baines
Rodwell Fellaini Cahill
Barkley
Vellios Saha
Robbie Shields
5   Posted 26/11/2011 at 10:52:42

Great piece Gary, spot on. Just watched the Brisbane Roar batter a good Perth Glory side 4-0 playing Barcelona style Football, a joy to watch and incredibly successful. 36 games unbeaten and they now hold the record for the longest unbeaten run in top flight sport in any code in Australia, beating a 74 year old record.

It can be done, there IS another way, are you watching Davey Moyes??????
Norman Merrill
6   Posted 26/11/2011 at 11:28:42

Stephen # 4
I would love DM put the team you have selected
out but it will never happen.
He is so stereotyped in the way he wants teams to play, and besides you don't include two who will always be selected, come what may.
Kevin Hudson
7   Posted 26/11/2011 at 12:06:15

Wonderful. David Moyes ought to seek inspiration from Brisbane Roar...

Stefan Dennis in goal, "Skippy," on the wing & "Bouncer," up front.
Stephen Kenny
8   Posted 26/11/2011 at 12:06:42

Norman,

I don't think I'll see an Everton side go out and attack a poor side like Bolton while Moyes is in charge.

Ironically what bothers me the most when we surrender possesion easily is that the other side can't score if we have the ball.

Even some of the best sides in the world are leaky at the back when under pressure. The reason it's not shown up more is because they dominate the ball, something were capable of doing against 13 sides in this division with a more expansive style of play.
Martin Handley
9   Posted 26/11/2011 at 12:11:52

Stephen#4 Not sure where you got the team from but my understanding is it will be all the usual suspects Saha facing a late test for yet another injury scare.
Likely team:-
Howard
Hibbert Jagielka Heittinga Baines
Coleman Fellaini Osman Drenthe
Cahill
Saha(Velios)
Subs
Mucha,Mustaffi,Bily,Macca,Straq,Barkley,and Velios depending on Saha's fitness.
Likely outcome either 1-1 or a sneaky 1-0 to us!
Stephen Kenny
10   Posted 26/11/2011 at 12:19:33

Martin.

That's the side I'd pick with the players I've heard are available.

I've no doubt the side you mention will be much more likely to run out.
David Hallwood
11   Posted 26/11/2011 at 12:07:03

Some good points Gary, but I would say that as they're my pet moans too. I have nothing against setting a team out to be defensive-Capello 'did a Moyes' against a far superior Spanish team and won.

But hoofball has me howling in frustration, because ir you're gonna be denfensive then keep the bleedin' ball, not hoof it and all fall back and defend the 25 yard line-fine if it works but it doesn't

But as you pointed out the dumbest tactic has got to be all 11 defend a corner. Some years ago, so long ago I cannot remember the team (help me out someone), when they were defending a corner, put two players around about the 35 yard line on opposing wings almost like wide receivers, to counteract that we put four men to cover them-I never seen it done before or since, but I thought it was quite clever.

Where I do disagree when you say that football is part of the entertainment industry, I think it's a results business first and foremost, and if we've got to win ugly then so be it
James Robinson
12   Posted 26/11/2011 at 13:28:32

Got no problem winning ugly, what pisses me off is when we're the usual 2-1 or 2-0 down and he keeps his dour defensive tactics far too long, when early attacking substituations could get us a result. Its all about results, there's times to grind it out and times to go for it, Moyes seems to only have one approach though.
Derek Thomas
13   Posted 26/11/2011 at 21:32:37

Rob#5 I think we were the last side to beat them preseason before last.