Season 2011-12

Glass half-full?

10 Comments: First  |  Last

I was worried about Wolves at home and Bolton away. I feared our confidence was shot and that failure in these games would see us in free fall. I'm glad to be wrong. After a scrappy win against Wolves, I thought we played well today. Coleman was good and Vellios looks a top prospect. His finish was confident and clinical.

I've seen us survive twice on the last day so, being a natural pessimist, I admit I fret quite a bit about relegation. This is no road to Damascus conversion, but whether I or the many who share my views like it, Moyes is going nowhere.

Therefore, I'll take three points and hope that confidence will grow and the football will improve. The glass seems half-full tonight (actually I've just emptied it). A thumping for Liverpool tomorrow will make it quite a nice weekend.
Andy Crooks, Belfast     Posted 27/11/2011 at 00:43:46

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Stephen Kenny
1   Posted 27/11/2011 at 08:35:38

Andy,

Delegation is not going to be a problem we need to worry about IMO.

The worry for me is that we are now amongst the group of clubs who can finish anywhere between 8th & 15th, opposed to being a class above them, which we have been for a while.

I blame Kenwright as not only has he messed up contracts, he's also sold cheaply leaving us skintight.

Moyes isn't a miracle worker but he hasn't helped himself this year by any stretch
Stephen Kenny
2   Posted 27/11/2011 at 08:42:39

Or even relegation
Sam Hoare
3   Posted 27/11/2011 at 08:47:31

Sadly I think Stephen is right. 6th-8th represents our best prospect realistically. The goalposts have moved.
Michael Mcloughlin
4   Posted 27/11/2011 at 10:25:46

To be honest , The goalposts will continue to move backward as long as thereis no investment in the club. Aslo if the rumour is true that the banks made us sell Arteta then the future looks bleaker. I honestly cannot see a way out of this, if we are consitently losing 4 million a year, The only logical way to progress is to keep selling out young hot prospects off until we can get to a posiition where we are not in debt to the banks and once that happens start to build from the youth set up. Massive catch 22 situation. If we sell the prospects, how then can we improve. ??
Dean Adams
5   Posted 27/11/2011 at 11:20:06

Michael Mcloughlin
Wasnt the 4 million quoted before we sold the Yak, Beckford and Arteta? If it was then we have saved double that on wages alone, so making the rest of your points invalid at this time. So dont worry, be happy!!!
Steve Sweeney
6   Posted 27/11/2011 at 12:02:47

What I cannot understand is that the Board keep telling us that our debt is 45m and that we are losing 4m a year. Since January we have made savings on wages of 6M or so. (Yak, Pienaar, Vaughan, Yobo.), Since the start of the season we have also cut Beckford and Arteta from our wage bill, but with increases to the current sqaud and wages for Drenthe and the Staqu,lets assume that those savings of 5m or so have been swallowed up. That leaves us accounting for lower attendances surely almost breaking even. And with having recieved almost 20m from the sale of players our debt should be under 30m.

Maybe I am being simplistic but if as BK says we were forced to sell to appease the banks then surely our debt has been reduced. And that my friends is why I don't trust a word BK utters and why I fully support the Blue Union or anyone else who is trying to force out the man who is destroying our club. How anyone can ask 100m+ for a business with no assets and losing 4M a year is beyond me.
Dan Brierley
7   Posted 27/11/2011 at 12:26:14

Steve, the squad alone is worth in excess of 100 million. Do you honestly think a business is rated on its financial performance? I am not surprised you are so angry if thats the case....
Steve Sweeney
8   Posted 27/11/2011 at 13:34:00

Dan,
The squad is not a balance sheet asset as far as I am aware and does not effect any value put on the club.
Players come Players Go.
City have spent in excess of 400m but is that club
worth 800M. Don't think so.
(Value based on Stadium Value of 400M).
Alex Kociuba
9   Posted 27/11/2011 at 14:03:29

Of course the squad value has an effect on the value of the club?! Whether its officially on balance sheets or what not is irrelevant. If you're selling a club with players worth millions, you'd want that factored into the sale price. If Tranmere Rovers had Messi playing for them, I'm pretty sure they'd be valued a little higher!
Tom Bowers
10   Posted 27/11/2011 at 18:43:54

Investment is key word. Without it we will struggle. Sure we will scrape a win here and there but we will not be better than an average mid-table team. In that regard Moyes should look to the future and start getting the new guys in the staring eleven. Th ''old brigade'' are no longer the answer as seen by the poor preformances this year by Cahill, Osman etc.

Yesterday who knows what the result would have been without the one man advantage. Timmie did assist well on the second goal but achieved little else despite working hard. He is just not a creative midfielder. Osman had a clear run through midfield in the first half and a short pass to Saha would have been perfect on Saha's left foot but Osman looked and passed out to the left wing. Another who does not have the smarts anymore!!

We need to have Rodders back with the youth of Velios and Barkley. The time is right Moyes.

Coleman is a speedster as is Drenthe and they should also start. Fellaini is an enigma but starting to play better. We have another tough game coming up against physical Stoke and I hope Distin is available.