Season 2011-12

Bringing the Game into Disrepute

49 Comments: First  |  Last

Whilst reading a review of the weekend's action on the BBC website, I was confronted with the picture with which the BBC have chosen to lead the stories of today and the Man City v Liverpool match report.

Alt_Text

This photo shows Lescott being held down by a defender, and Kuyt attempting what looks to be a superman type dive in front of a (presumably) goal bound header.

Now, leaving aside for the moment that the team in the photo cheating is Liverpool, the interesting point for me is that there is absolutely no mention of the fouling of Lescott or the attempted Superman block appearing in the article. Is there any other sport in which there is such clear evidence that cheating is endemic within the sport?

Can any of you recall seeing photos of similar cheating in other sports? This level of cheating is clearly tolerated and accepted by the FA and the Media which write about the sport.

Yet, despite this 'evidence', no action will be taken, and the only action that continues to be taken by the ruling body is when managers are fined if they voice a negative opinion over a referee.

Surely it is not only the clubs, players and managers but also the FA who bring the sport into disrepute by tolerating this sort of behaviour?

Rupert Sullivan, Paris     Posted 28/11/2011 at 07:59:37

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

John Gee
1   Posted 28/11/2011 at 14:11:22

Most games I watch now look fixed to me. And yesterday's game was a good example. That dickhead Suarez countinually threw himself to the ground, backed in and barged around the pitch. Every few minutes there was a shot of him sitting on the floor with his arms up claiming for something and mostly the referee obliged.

Alan Smith mentioned or alluded throughout the game what a "cute" player he was or how "intelligent" and "smart" he was. What is he doing commentating if he knows fuck all about football? The player was CHEATING. Not being cute, intelligent or smart. He was looking to gain an unfair advantage through manipulation or non-adherence to the rules.

*Pardon the language.
Tony Waring
2   Posted 28/11/2011 at 14:36:36

John you said what I was intending to say. Suarez should consider becoming a farmer as he spends more time on the earth than anywhere else. What a snidy cheat he is ! Of course he's not the only one and it does the game no good at all especially when commentators and pundits continue to ignore countless examples.
Gary Creaney
3   Posted 28/11/2011 at 14:29:58

I'm all for bashing the RS but I'm not sure if this classifies as cheating.

Had Dirk Kuyt managed to block the shot with his hands then surely a penalty would have been awarded and a red card issued. Without having seen the incident, it looks as though Glen Johnson has bundled into Kuyt and knocked him forward.

And the pulling going on with Lescott is seen up and down the country at every set piece.

To me, cheating is an attempt to con the referee and/or his assistants to gain an advantage, such as diving.
Rob Teo
4   Posted 28/11/2011 at 14:38:53

Sorry, Rupert. While I agree with you and John that cheating is endemic in football these days, I can't agree with your interpretation of the pic. I mean, much as I dislike the red shite, there's too much missing context from the image to really know what was going on then.

Leaving aside the notion that context can be provided by watching the highlights of the game, Kuyt could also be interpreted as having been pushed or tripping over or having just landed from attempting to challenge for the ball in the air, etc, etc, so to say that that's evidence that he was blatantly trying to prevent a certain goal with his hands, well, it's too ambiguous to support that.

As for Lescott being held down, again that's inconclusive. The Liverpool defender is definitely behind Lescott, but it's hard to say if his hands are on Lescott or behind Lescott's body. Again, there's not enough info to state for sure if they'd just been jumping for the ball and this is the post-landing arms-tangled stage or if a foul has really been committed.

Sorry mate, I support where you're coming from and the issue you're trying to highlight, but I can't agree that the image is "clear evidence" of cheating.
David Barks
5   Posted 28/11/2011 at 14:37:17

That picture was the City goal, Kuyt tried to save it with his hands but failed. Who knows what the ref would have done if he was successful. But I can't disagree with the post or the first comment. Commentators condemned Balotelli immediately, repeatedly calling him and idiot when he was given his second yellow for what was really a non-incident. But did they ever call Suarez and idiot for diving throughout the match and screaming at the ref for not being rewarded with a call or not getting the player carded as he was asking for? No. As you say, they call him smart.

The game is increasingly difficult to watch for me. I couldn't play the game with people like Suarez. I couldn't keep my cool, I'd lose it. Unfortunately for me I live in Southern California and those antics are rampant amongst the Hispanic population that makes up the majority of the Sunday leagues here. I can't play with them because I know I will eventually want to give them a reason to really roll around on the ground screaming in pain.

But I did watch that City v Liverpool match yesterday and it just reinforced the way I feel about the game right now. City to their credit were just playing hard and for the most part honest. Liverpool, one of the most pathetic displays of cheating I've seen. It's not just Suarez, Charlie Adam is one of the worst in the league. I don't remember seeing this from him with Blackpool. But the media doesn't call them out. I almost wonder if it would be worthwhile for some teams to start to employ "enforcers" like in hockey to come in and take these players out. You know you won't beat these teams who get away with this cheating. So just send a player out there to be sent off, because it's going to happen anyway when you play Liverpool apparently, and take Suarez out.
Tony J Williams
6   Posted 28/11/2011 at 14:59:00

I remember Charlie Adams being hit by Hibbert and rolling around like he would be applying for his disability badge and 10 seconds later having a shot that just sailed over the bar.

I never, ever noticed that when he played for Blackpool, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention or he wasn't on telly that much. Probably been taught it by the scumbags in red. He will certainly get away with it more.

In regards to the photo, I clearly remeber Neville doing the old lean/hold on routine against Man Cty and Spurs last year, you will never get around that.

The superman dive is Kuyt's predictable reaction to a feeling of the slightest contact on his back, just like the Gerrard swan dive.

I won't talk about Suarez, as I will probably end up banned because I hate the fuc......., nope let if go.
Jamie Barlow
7   Posted 28/11/2011 at 14:44:19

The picture shown is the Kompany goal so I'm glad nobody was pulled up.

I watched the game yesterday and was disgusted at the play-acting off Suarez and also the constant sniping at the referee by Charlie Adam. I can't remember him doing that at Blackpool. It seems to me that as soon as you sign on the dotted line at the Shite, you instantly become a cheating, moaning twat!!!
Rupert Sullivan
8   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:16:18

Just to re-iterate, this purely about the fact that cheating seems to me to be endemic in the game and that the powers that be appear to not want to do anything about it. This is the frustrating aspect, and I fail to see why the governing bodies do nothing to temper this behaviour.

I agree with those that have posted saying that the picture in itself cannot be taken as evidence, however I would suggest that if a replay was watched the evidence would be there.

To my mind the natural reaction when defending is NOT to throw your hands up and dive infront of a shot (unless you are a goalkeeper!) - this behaviour strikes me as trained into players - likewise the rolling around clutching your head when you have been hit with a feather in the thigh. I have seen none of these histrionics in the Women's game, nor in Rugby. It is not a glamourous part of the game and it should be cut out.
Phil Bellis
9   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:27:51

More fuel....

James Flynn
10   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:11:20

A couple of things:

1. How many good referees are there? In any sport. It's an endless running complaint over here. What can you do? Get pissed off when it falls against our team and say, "Oooh, we got away with one there" when the call/non-call goes our way. But when it does go our way, we don't get mad, right?

The only time I become infuriated is when the ref's giving the other team everything and my team nothing. God, I hate that. Conversely, when it's the other way around, I'll acknowledge the official is a worthless piece of shit, but get mad? Nope.

All you can do is hope one of the few good refs has your game. At least the calls will fall both ways equally.

2. I have a theory (unprovable) that many players flop because they've fucked-up an opportunity, or were out of position, or are simply out of gas and need a breather. I've always felt that comes into it with floppers/complainers. "I had it coach, but got fouled". "I was going to track back, but he kicked me down, sir. I was in terrible pain". That type thing.
Gary Creaney
11   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:36:37

Suarez truly is a scumbag after watching that, Phil Bellis.
Phil Bellis
12   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:35:35

No. James... Some footballers are just cheating, useless pricks and if the PFA had ant balls they'd do something about certain of their members trying to injure fellow pros and/or trying to get them sent off.

As for Adam, he's under instructions from Queen Kenny ? it's the Liverpool way, don't you know?

Some players are above cheating, if not above violence ? I remember Big Dunc being booked for "diving" when he was fouled in the area ? he was absolutely furious and would've twatted the ref if he hadn't had half a dozen players holding him back.
Dave Roberts
13   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:25:38

I think it's definitely something which is now in Liverpool's game plan. It's not only cheating as such that I've noticed but also pressurizing referees into sending players off. Remember the Rodwell and the Hibbert sendings-off? I think it started under Benitez and one particular incident stands out for me.

It was the FA Cup derby in 2009 when we beat them 1-0. Before the goal the shite were attacking and Jagielka took the ball off Torres so neatly it got a round of applause. True to form, Torres went down like a sack of spuds as if he was about to breathe his last. In the meantime the ball ended up with Arteta on the right with two of our players charging into the area against one shite defender waiting for the cross. I think it was Skrtel who then started to remonstrate with Arteta and pointing out that a man (Torres) was 'seriously' injured at the other end of the pitch. In response Arteta ceased playing and the game stopped and as soon as the game stopped Torres got up and started jogging down the pitch. I couldn''t have been the only one who noticed as the chant of 'Cheat...Cheat' rang out immediately.

Benitez brought some Spanish tactics with him to Anfield, which, despite their obvious class, Barcelona are adept at. Dalglish has kept it going as a useful tool. It always amazes me too how often Gerrard was able to fool referees with his diving in the area....and that's the problem. Referees seem more eager to be 'fooled' by the so called 'bigger' clubs.

Whether or not this snapshot demonstrates cheating is difficult to say. But what is not difficult to say is that in their desperation to rejoin the Sky four, the shite will resort to anything....and they do regularly.
Paul Traill
14   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:48:33

I thought the game mirrored the Merseyside derby a few months back in a lot of ways. Suarez got Kompany booked early for making something out of a nothing situation and he was on tenderhooks for the rest of the match.

The red card was a disgrace. Liverpool players surrounding Balotelli and the referee. Charlie Adam insinuating an elbow when it wasn't and the referee went for it. Unsurprisingly it was the same ref, Atkinson, as who sent Rodwell off. The same thing happened then, Suarez jumps to the floor and the rest of the players surround the referee, even Reina running to the half way line to get involved even though none of them can possibly have seen anything untoward at all. Blatant cheating in my book and, perhaps a touch paranoid accepted, I reckon Atkinson is in on it.

Drives me mad watching them play. It really does.
Mick Davies
15   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:49:03

Should have the pic of Carragher hauling Lescott down in the box, just as he's about to have a crack at goal. The ref (if we can call twattenberk a ref) can't say he was looking elsewhere, that was at the centre of the action. The PL never do sod all about refs who are quite blatantly cheats or incompetent. The one at Old Trafford was a fool, changing his mind to agree with his assistant. Paul Durkin was the last decent ref and maybe Halsey is the best of a bad bunch but since they went full time theyve got worse!
Dave Roberts
16   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:52:03

Phil Bellis

I'd do it myself but I don't know how! Could you send that link to a shite website and to the Echo??

That was absolutely fucking disgraceful. There's not a lot to be proud about being a Blue these days and I'm not suggesting we put out 11 angels every bloody week but we would never resort to that shite.

Fucking disgusting little bastard.

Send it to a City website too.
Colin Potter
17   Posted 28/11/2011 at 15:58:58

Apparently Atkinson has refereed the RS 3 times this season, and in each the RShave been left playing 10 men... This FA we have are useless.

Thanks Phill Bellis for the info; that Suarez is one cheating piece of shit, just like the rest of them bastards!!!!!
Tom Jones
18   Posted 28/11/2011 at 16:09:07

If what you are saying is true there may be a simple solution. Get an independent unbiased (foreign?) ref to sit through and mark say 1000 fouls on video as A) foul or B) dive. Then compare the results of LFC / Sky-4 teams vs others and publish the results.

Headline: A Uefa ref has declared LFC make an average of 9.7 dives/match with a punishment rate of just 11%. That will cause a stir that refs and even the FA would simply have to take notice.

On the other hand, it could be because they're on telly every week that you see/remember more of the incidents?

I say they are mostly cheating bastards and should be forced to play in a noose too short to let them go to ground.
Phil Bellis
19   Posted 28/11/2011 at 16:16:32

Will do Dave..."ant balls" - talk about Freudian slip
I know I'm biased but team and fans - what a shower, they really are - watching MOTD2 in the pub last night, I was saying what a tosser Adam was at the sending-off, and got turned on by kopites "he's a team-mate, whassup with that?" etc
To which I calmly replied - "spell Anfield"
Dave Richman
20   Posted 28/11/2011 at 16:23:02

The one that had my blood pressure through the roof was when he tried the identical stunt that got Rodders sent off..... Leaped in the air screaming, with the triple somersault, pike and forward roll...... except the fuckpig forgot to tuck his arms in and nearly broke his arm..... such a pity he didn't!!!!

Absolutely detestable, horrible little gobshite.
Tony J Williams
21   Posted 28/11/2011 at 16:46:48

Dave, that was almost proof of karma. I was laughing at the orrible twat when he was holding his arm. I wished he would have broken it.

Fecking horrible, horrible cun.....nope, leave it be.
Kevin Tully
22   Posted 28/11/2011 at 16:45:15

I actually saw that yesterday Phil, and was going nuts that no-one mentioned it on Sky.

The shite have had some gobshites in their time - but the twat that is Suarez takes the biscuit. One horrible cheat, I hope someone gives him something to scream about soon.
Stephen Kenny
23   Posted 28/11/2011 at 16:46:25

Liverpool are comfortably the dirtiest cheats and exponents of the 'dark arts'.

Honesty was always something English football could pride itself upon, thats well gone, especially over the road!

When your players are chasing the ref, calling fellow pro's 'Negrito' and rolling all over the floor whenever anyone farts by them then it needs to be taken out of individual ref's hands and dealt with at a higher level.
Phil Bellis
24   Posted 28/11/2011 at 16:59:51

Well, I've emailed the gif to bluemoon and the Sports Editor, Daily Post
We should ask someone under 12 how to send it via mobile
Perhaps Lyndon could "viralise" it
To think there's talk of reviewing someone using the elbow twice in the Blackburn game (I think it was)
Marc Williams
25   Posted 28/11/2011 at 17:54:32

Now, in the interests of neutrality & objectivity, lets examine this picture calmly & impartially in order to reach a fair conclusion.

Yep.....fucking, cheating, scumbag, gobshite, Bastards !
Andy Crooks
26   Posted 28/11/2011 at 18:14:55

It seems that 90% of the time,shirt pulling,shoving and obstruction is allowed at corners but not at any other time in the game. What instructions are given to referees about this?The continuation of this sends the message that cheating is fine.
May I also add that it is my view that Suarez is the most appalling vermin ever to grace the premier league.
Paul Maguire
27   Posted 28/11/2011 at 19:09:46

Paul (14) - thats the first thing I thought when Balotelli was red carded. Charlie Adam first in helping his pal Mr Atkinson come to the 'right' decision much like he did with Rodwell. Agger has form too. When Gerrard ploughed studs up into Pienaar a year or 2 ago, he was first in like a big man with his tattoos. On a day when football was in mourning you'd have thunk the shite could have been Men for once.
Joe McParland
28   Posted 28/11/2011 at 19:20:50

Whilst I agree with all the comments re Suarez being a cheating, diving shitbag, I'm surprised that nobody has pointed our what goes around comes around regards that other piece of scum, Kompany.

What Suarez did to him was not as bad as his shocking challenge on Cahill at Middle Eastlands (Etihad) earlier this season. He even managed to get Cahill booked for his challenge.

Both of these challenges were worse than David Wheater's at the weekend, which I believe was rightly a sending off, but was less likely to seriously injure anyone compared to the over-the-top challenges of Suarez and Kompany.
Barry Thompson
29   Posted 28/11/2011 at 20:26:26

He is nothing but a nasty, cheating, diving redshite camel mouthed twat. One horrible little bastard, a true red.
Dean Adams
30   Posted 28/11/2011 at 23:41:47

John Gee

"But football, to a certain degree, mirrors society. And the society we live in will reward you for being a cunt.

*Pardon the language."

As I found out today in work. Having been stitched up by two Redshite pricks.
Never a truer word spoken. I now have the prospect of looking for alternative employment because these two dickheads decided it would be fun to stitch up a work colleague. Only a pair of scum like them could dream up such a stunt and get away with it. Being a blue is sometimes akin to racial or sexual abuse it seems. I did nothing wrong but was told I was guilty by implication. The courts are too expensive an alternative.
I really hate some redshite fans.
Dick Fearon
31   Posted 28/11/2011 at 23:54:12

Credit where due, lots of RS fans on there own sites have said that for all his skill Suarez is becoming a diving cheating embarrasment.
John Gee
32   Posted 29/11/2011 at 00:10:21

Dean, if you haven't lost the job then let it lie and remember that revenge isn't necessarily a dish best served cold, but it is a dish best served with fucking RELISH.

If the job is gone, then go in there and argue your case. Don't be afraid to make a nuisance of yourself.
The boss of one of the jobs I got fired from wanted to pay up my holiday pay and let me go (about £400). I just kept on pushing and walked out of there with 2 grand and a promise of a good reference.

Also, an "implication" carries the same weight as a "suggestion". It's weak and intangable as an arguement and should be challenged.
An implication is a sugestion of what could have happened, not the truth of what did happen.

Good luck fella.
Thomas Williams
33   Posted 29/11/2011 at 00:46:40

How did Atkinson manage to get Liverpool again? He was down to ref them last week at Chelsea and pulled out, so if he didn't pull out last week he would have reffed them 2 weeks running.

3 red cards against RS opposition this season and 9 in all from Atkinson, and they go on about Webb?

Oh for a Pat Van Den Hauwe to be about now, he would have sorted sewer-rat out good style.
Sean McCarthy
34   Posted 29/11/2011 at 01:28:31

And you wonder why they call us bitter!!!

This one is scraping the barrel.
Eric Myles
35   Posted 29/11/2011 at 01:30:07

"How Liverpool have manipulated referees to their advantage"

I think they can add the RS v City game to that list now as well.
Mick Davies
36   Posted 29/11/2011 at 03:39:14

That window lickin bastard son of Ken Dodd is just doing what hypocrite Dogleash has coached him to do, and being a total retard it wasn't too difficult. Good old King Kenny has been screaming about refs all season and yet he never comes out and criticises the cheating and all the crying his players do to win decisions. Reds are the most arrogant and whining twats in football and I wish I had a penny for every time i've had to put a kopite right in the pub or at work. Mouthy, glory hunters who burn their own captains shirt even though he hadn't said he was going anywhere!!! Such a pity we have to share our city with them
John Gee
37   Posted 29/11/2011 at 12:18:40

sorry sean (34), you're wrong. This isn't about being bitter. It's about watching a media darling shit on the beautiful game.

I've been following football for 30 years and, for the life of me, I can't think of a more cynical side.

But in the interests of proving it's not bitterness I'll give a compliment... That goofy fucker knows how to win ugly.
Joe McParland
38   Posted 29/11/2011 at 19:48:47

Eric Myles (35) Interesting that Martin Atkinson has reffed the RS vs Arsenal, Everton and now Man City. Do you think he'll do their games against Manure, Chelsea & Spurs in the second half of the season?
Peter Barry
39   Posted 30/11/2011 at 05:38:55

I don't know if its just my Blue bias but every Liverpool team seems to contain a significant number of cheating scumbags. But the current crop are the worst of a bad bunch. Led by the scumbag in chief Gerrard with his acolyte the extreme gobshite Charlie Adam followed by the whinging cheat Suarez and the ever provocative Kuyt who spells his name wrong surely the last letter should be an 'N'. The of course to top it off you have Refs like the fawning Atkinson who endeavors to send off at least one of the opposition everytime he Refs a Liverpool match.
David Chait
40   Posted 30/11/2011 at 06:44:27

Dick 31... I laugh when they say "becoming"... if anyone watched Uruguay in the World Cup, he is doing nothing less than he did every match... He is almost public enemy number 1 here in SA for his antics and has no respect amongst anyone for his character.

When he joined the shite I thought, "Great... a perfect match... the biggest cunt in football joining the biggest cunt of a club!"
Jason Lam
41   Posted 30/11/2011 at 06:09:14

I'm sure you all recall the disallowed 'goal' when the shite goalkeeper kicked the ball straight at Hutchison's(?) arse and flew in over his head into goal. At Goodison our home. Injury time. Would have been a win for us. But wait for it. Wait for it. Oh it's going go it so I'll blow for a foul, somewhere.

You know, a part of me was not surprised it was disallowed, I've been through enough shit with liverpool already over the years that it's sadly inevitable the refs will side with them (Graham Poll this time). They are the dark side, utter evil scum. Call me bitter but that was televised no-one can deny it.
Jason Lam
42   Posted 30/11/2011 at 07:02:27

David Chait 41, I totally agree with you they are the perfect marriage. But be sure Sky will edit clips of his antics, and the whole world not know better. Liverpool is their darling, their high end product. And the shite as so DELUDED their players can do no wrong in their eyes. Which I think is just lovely.

I'm all for winning football but liverpool have taken it beyond my personal threshold in terms of sporting behaviour. This is not cheating. With cheating you at least put some effort to appear innocent. Liverpool players surrounding the ref, manipulating decisions, going to ground, it's everyday protocol in their play that it's automation. They just do these things without remorse.

Lovely.
Steve Pugh
43   Posted 30/11/2011 at 08:38:13

What happened to the rule that people who ran up to the referee got booked?
Tony J Williams
44   Posted 30/11/2011 at 09:12:58

Steve, the FA didn't allow the ref to grow a pair.

It's a simple concept, only the team captain and person directly involved in the incident should be around the ref. All he has to say is, "If there is anyone near me apart from x and y in 5 seconds, you are getting booked"

Let the FA give him the power to say that and it will soon stop them crowding around the ref after several of them get booked.
Dean Adams
45   Posted 30/11/2011 at 14:22:00

They don't call it cheating, they call it gamesmanship. So it's OK in their book because of a small manipulation, the problem is that because they got away with that then they take another step down this slippey slpoe. Honesty plainly does not work in todays game, life or any circle you wish to observe. It is us who are the fools for ever bothering to continue to take part in these underhand bias games.
Mick Davies
46   Posted 02/12/2011 at 02:31:25

And to think of all the shit AJ had to go through to prove he was falsely accused of diving!!!
Derek Thomas
47   Posted 02/12/2011 at 04:17:29

rs They don't even rate capital letters

redshite

What you get is exactly what it says on the tin.

Poor losers and even poorer winners.
Ged Simpson
48   Posted 02/12/2011 at 06:41:01

"He played for a penalty."

You hear commentators say that all the time.

Says it all.
Mike Green
49   Posted 02/12/2011 at 06:59:59

John Gee #1 ? very good! :D

There is a bit of hypocrisy going on here though. Let's take Saha for instance. When he won the penalty against Wolves, Mick McCarthy said he thought it was a bit soft and suspected he wouldn't go down so easily if someone had been trying to take his wallet. Too right. How many of us objected to that decision when, like it or not, it was blatant cheating?