Season 2011-12

Is Defoe the answer?

20 Comments: First  |  Last

Silly season is fast approaching and the rumour mill is in full flow, first on the list is Tottenham's Defoe.

Defoe has a top record of scoring goals, a goal-scoring machine who tends to go hot and cold during the season; when he is hot, he is hot... and when he is cold... well, he offers little to nothing.

Firstly, Defoe has always played with a partner, so for me, Defoe is the wrong man for Everton!! Moyes will never play 4-4-2 not matter what players we have ? how on earth could he fit in his lovechild of Osman, an off-form Cahill?

However, if Moyes decided to grow a set of balls, our line-up could look something like this:

Howard
Coleman      Jagielka       Distin          Baines
Donovan      Rodwell       Fellaini        Drenthe
                    Defoe          Saha
Scary looking team, isn't it? Will it happen? No chance!

Sean Mckenna, Ireland     Posted 28/11/2011 at 19:17:14

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Sean McCarthy
1   Posted 29/11/2011 at 01:03:54

Did I miss something? When did we sign Donovan???
James Flynn
2   Posted 29/11/2011 at 01:01:09

If Defoe will play forward and back and is in shape to play 90 minutes, he'll fit in well to a Moyes side.

Can't understand this business of Moyes being so defensive in selecting his team.

When I came in with Donovan, Moyes managed from defend to attack (like every other top Manager) and we looked a top side.

He manages to the talent available. If Defoe helps the team get forward, while putting in a true 90 minute shift, we should sign him.
James Stewart
3   Posted 29/11/2011 at 01:39:41

That is a nice starting 11! I would welcome Donovan back with open arms as I thought we played good football for once when he was here.

Defoe would be a quality signing however you have to question the point of all these loan deals. Say Defoe and Donovan fired us into Europe again, they still wouldn't stay and next season we would be left watching Osman and Cahill coming up blank yet again....
Eric Myles
4   Posted 29/11/2011 at 01:58:35

"My question is: Would Defoe suit our set-up at Everton? Is he a Moyes-type player? "

"and when he is cold... well, he offers little to nothing"

Definitely a Moyes-type player then.
Mick Davies
5   Posted 29/11/2011 at 03:35:30

That side would score goals. That's if the Moyes/Round show didn''t get Defoe to replace Hibbert
Tony Cheek
6   Posted 29/11/2011 at 05:27:24

It was looking really good, then you went and spoiled things............. SAHA? I've given up on him, he needs to move on; otherwise I would love to see this team play.
Pat Finegan
7   Posted 29/11/2011 at 05:32:10

I've always liked Defoe but I really can't see him as a lone striker. That said, we are skint so I think he could be worth a punt.

It really all depends how much of the Arteta/Beckford money goes to the bank and how much goes on players. If we only have a few million, Defoe might be good business. If we have 10 million or more to spend, he wouldn't be my first choice.
Jason Lam
8   Posted 29/11/2011 at 06:24:05

Rodwell and Fellaini can't be in the same line up. We'll have to sell them off first. And you got your formation wrong it's not 4-5-1
Rupert Sullivan
9   Posted 29/11/2011 at 06:26:20

It doesn't matter who Everton sign as a striker to be honest - DM seems to have a knack of taking a scoring horse and converting them into a broken down knacker.

Until he actually realises that a striker can only score goals when the midfield support them, all Everton striikers will continues to work away up front chasing lost causes.

Personally I wouldn't waste the club's money on a striker, I would stick with Vellios, Saha, and I would also give Gueye a game. Perhaps with a tactical set-up more attuned to scoring goals, DM will find that he has a striker already at the club!!!!
Eric Myles
10   Posted 29/11/2011 at 06:51:40

And to follow on from Rupert's post, a free scoring midfielder will be no use to us as he'll never get onto the pitch ahead of Ossie, Cahill and Neville.

So a defender it is then as backup to Hibbo.
Danny Broderick
11   Posted 29/11/2011 at 10:17:56

Sorry to rain on your parade but I live down south and Redknapp was in the Evening Standard the other day saying that Defoe is absolutely not for sale, that he has bought him for practically all his clubs and that he will get plenty of games for Spurs this season, it's a long season etc.

Besides, he'd probably be 10+ million. I imagine we will get someone in on loan. There's been talk of Lukaku from Chelsea, and we might be linked with someone like Chamakh. I wouldn't get your hopes up that we will be bringing in anyone top class!
Tony J Williams
12   Posted 29/11/2011 at 11:18:20

Ahh, the predictable "Moyes destroys strikers" post only took 9 posts this time.....yawn.

Defoe is a cracking player, I like him because he is greedy. Too many players these days are "playing for the team", well balls to that, have a crack. The crowd will never get on a players back for having a pot shot at goal, in fact most of the Lower Gwladys actively encourage it.

If we could afford him, then it's a yes from me.
John Daley
13   Posted 29/11/2011 at 11:06:09

"My question is: Would Defoe suit our set-up at Everton? Is he a Moyes-type player?"

Definitely.

About four foot tall and challenging for arial balls against giant central defenders? Check.

As burly and muscular as a Japanese prisoner of war yet expected to back in and hold the ball up whilst waiting for Osman to join in the attack? Check.

A goalscorer who comes alive in or around the box
but never gets anywhere near it because he's constantly 'running the channels'? Check.

A striker all his career so a good candidate to play out wide whenever the opportunity arises? Check.

I can see it now. He'd be fucking awesome.

I've always thought the ideal forward for Moyes would be Kevin Doyle from Wolves. Decent in the air, can hold the ball up, good close control, works his arse off, but totally one paced, never scores, and as likely to rise to the occasion as John Wayne Bobbitt when some bitch waves a pair of scissors in his face
John Daley
14   Posted 29/11/2011 at 11:31:58

"He is greedy. Too many players these days are "playing for the team", well balls to that"

Would you say Moyes shares that philosophy though Tony? Working hard and putting in a shift 'for the team' has always appeared to me to be the first demand Moyes makes of any player.
Brian Waring
15   Posted 29/11/2011 at 13:35:30

There is no way Redknapp would send him out on loan.

If he did though, I could see us in with a chance, because we aren't in competition with Spurs for the top places.
Chris Butler
16   Posted 29/11/2011 at 17:55:49

I don't think it wiill happen and I'm not sure it would work as we have no central midfielders capable of passing the ball to him anyway.
Richard Parker
17   Posted 29/11/2011 at 19:12:11

Only if the question is : "Can you name a striker, who rarely gets a kick in the Premiership, that Everton couldn't afford?"

Of course, Defoe isn't the only valid answer.
Ben Jones
18   Posted 30/11/2011 at 11:45:03

I know where you're coming from Sean, I have never seen Defoe play in a 4-5-1 before. He'd never be a good lone striker. If we play 4-4-2, then he'd drop Cahill and that's the problem with him - our whole team is based around him.

I think a more realisitic target is his fellow Spursian, Pavlyuchenko.

He's tall, great technique, strong. Yes, he is sometimes lazy but he is very talented, and is more likely to go than Defoe because he is clearly way below the pecking order. A loan move would suit him too so he can get some form going into the European Championships.

Pavluychenko is our man!
Glen Anderson
19   Posted 30/11/2011 at 12:16:48

Opposing teams will overrun us down their left flank if we field that team. Never thought I'd say it but that team needs Hibbo or Neville at RB.

Also Defoe is not the answer as Moyes will not play 4-4-2. Like others have said, maybe Pavluychenko is the better option. He might even work well with Bily. Now there's an idea.
Paul Holmes
20   Posted 30/11/2011 at 22:35:40

I wish we could get Defoe, he is what we want, an out an out goalscorer.

He does what none of our current players cannot do,and that is shoot at the goal from outside the box, mostly he is on target.