Season 2011-12

Births, marriages and deaths as an Evertonian

78 Comments: First  |  Last

The recent tragic death of Gary Speed has brought many reminiscences from Evertonians on Toffeeweb, including myself.

The day Gary scored his hat-trick against Southampton was my grandson Liam's debut at 4 years old at Goodison for a Premier League game; he had been to a pre-season friendly. I remember saying to him "now you are an Evertonian". He is 20 now, goes every game, home games with me and he loves The Blues.

It made me think how our lives are linked to Everton and how events in the club history run alongside events in our personal life.

I remember when Alan Ball was signed and sold, when Kendall made his debut, Latchford's 30th... I was at Anfield when we won 4-0, the 8-0 Southampton game was on my birthday 40 years ago. I remember when my daughter Helen was born and a few weeks later we drew our first game of the season 2-2 with Arsenal.

The famous Thomas disallowed goal, my dad died that week and I couldn't go to the game. After several games the 5-1 away game at Sheff Wed when Sharpy scored 4, I had a ticket but my Mum died that day. The day my daughter got married and we won 2-0 against Coventry at home. Believe it or not my sister got married on the Cardiff 8-3 day and I moaned all day at the wedding. My brother died on the day we played Newcastle a few years ago.

Throughout all these days the constant is obviously family, but also Everton and Evertonians. We go to The Dark House (have been for more than 28 years now) every game, before and after the game, we talk all day about Everton, memories and recall often what was happening in our lives and how it affected our attendance at games or what was happening at Everton at the time of births, deaths and marriages and everything else in-between in our lives.

I got married to a wonderful Polish woman, Gosia, 11 years ago, I wanted to show her my Club and my friends, so I took her to the pub and the game. We won 4-0, I do a 1 bet every single game for that score, I won. Later in the pub she asked what a "Spot The Ball" was, I explained and she won it ? she said "It's great being an Evertonian, isn't it?" Too right.

Thank you Gary for being one of my memories and forever being linked to my grandson Liam. No matter how tough things get, it is "A Grand Old Team".
George McKane, Liverpool     Posted 29/11/2011 at 09:35:59

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Lee Courtliff
1   Posted 29/11/2011 at 14:12:07

A good piece George.
Ernie Baywood
2   Posted 29/11/2011 at 14:24:47

People find it odd that I can give the details of the games that were immediately after the birth of each of my three kids.

At least I know I'm not alone now!
Ray Robinson
3   Posted 29/11/2011 at 14:48:09

I'll never forget the day, as a kid, that I was told that I'd got to be an usher at my cousin's wedding - we beat WBA 5-4 at home. Don't think that scoreline has been repeated at Goodison since.
Eugene Ruane
4   Posted 29/11/2011 at 15:07:41

Great post.

I love that my (French) girlfriend's brother-in-law (an Olympic Lyon supporter) still wears the Everton shirt I bought him for Christmas five years ago and always looks for our result.

And that my girlfriend (when she's had a couple of bevvies) likes to sing "Ohhhh Tommy, Tommy...".

(yes I HAVE explained he's long gone but..)

Gerry Quinn
5   Posted 29/11/2011 at 15:34:07

Ray - remember that 5-4 game, I believe that we were 4-1 up at halftime and they got it back to 4-4 in the 2nd half? Seem to also remember Alan Ball doing his "sit on the ball" trick, almost backfired, but can't remember who scored the winner....
Norman Merrill
6   Posted 29/11/2011 at 15:58:39

As per usual George,a fine offering, you make us all aware, that being a Evertonian is a privilege.
And something to be really proud of.
As the late Gary Speed so often showed and spoke about.
R.I.P Gary.

Gerry Morrison
7   Posted 29/11/2011 at 17:18:57

Thanks for that George, it was a great read.These days I can not remember where I put my keys, but I can remember, in detail, matches that took place forty years ago. Being an Evertonian has its ups and downs, but it pretty much defines the progress of my life. The day I was born we won 3-1 and Davey Hickson scored two. Me and Everton have been entwined ever since.
Brian Denton
8   Posted 29/11/2011 at 17:52:17

This measuring of your life by your football club is very much the model adopted in Nick Hornby's book Fever Pitch. When I read that book (each chapter has as its heading a particular game and result) I remember thinking what a pity it had been done by an Arsenal fan rather than an Evertonian. Unfortunately in the publishing world I doubt if the trick can be pulled off twice.

Oddly enough, the very first chapter heading in the book is when we won 1-0 away at Arsenal, the first game of our 1969-70 Championship season.
Brian Denton
9   Posted 29/11/2011 at 17:57:06

One of my most memorable matches was our FA Cup game at Man U in 1983. That weekend I split up with my girlfriend of the time, lost fifty quid, then had to suffer Stapleton's 'Fergie-time' winner (before Ferguson had even become manager !)

Actually, I think I'll write a book. Each chapter will be headed by a match score at a significant time of my life...........
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 29/11/2011 at 18:27:55

Brian, I wasn't at that game but a mate (now dead) was. I remember him arriving back (late) and walking into The Lee Park, absolutely bladdered. I have no idea what he'd been up to, but he wandered in shirtless with an Everton 'silkie' wrapped around his head, Rambo-style. He mumbled something about 'gettin' chased' and fell over. Never did find out exactly what happened.
Brian Denton
11   Posted 29/11/2011 at 18:49:50

Eugene, if you were in The Lee Park in August 1969, I shall have to radically rethink your age (which I'd always imagined was roughly mine).

Unless The Lee Park served VERY underage drinkers.....
Stephen Kenny
12   Posted 29/11/2011 at 19:01:11

Brian,

It's an excellent book. The film's crap though. I'd buy the Bluenose version.

Go for it!
Kevin O'Regan
13   Posted 29/11/2011 at 19:03:27

Thanks for sharing that George.
Goes to show that football is more than just a sport, but a family affair which brings people and cultures and generations together, and that in the end the football is often 2nd to the people and friendships and memories and moments of joy.
David Hallwood
14   Posted 29/11/2011 at 20:14:18

Fine piece George, and as you say my(our) lives have been centred around the blues. but one minor point, have you noticed that when you couldn't got to a game we did really well? Have you ever thought that you might be a bit of a jinx.
George McKane
15   Posted 29/11/2011 at 20:31:37

David - - thanks mate - -of course - - don't we all think sometimes when Everton get beat its our fault for some reason - - nice to read comments about something lovely and beautiful about The Blues. Its good to be Blue.
Eugene Ruane
16   Posted 29/11/2011 at 20:37:12

Sorry Brian, I should have made myself clear - I meant the 83 Utd game - I'm 52.

Oh and the Lee Park (now a shop) served anyone (with anything!)
Andrew Hight
17   Posted 29/11/2011 at 20:58:04

Great article -thanks

Slightly off subject but the Leeds fan tribute tonight was absolutely immense. It's by no means a competition but I hope we also do a great evertonian proud this wkd. The Goodson roar is special at the best of times, lets make even better at this the worst of times.

Colin Fitzpatrick
18   Posted 29/11/2011 at 22:13:33

Brian [#8],

Indeed, Nick Hornby did write the very enjoyable ?Fever Pitch?, later made into two movies, the original Arsenal version and an Americanised adaptation; but that was in the early nineties, let?s not forget the seminal and original work on how life and football inevitably coexist, written a quarter of a century earlier; our very own ?The Golden Vision?.

Most will know it was co-written by local actor/writer Neville Smith and broadcaster Gordon Honeycombe, and brought to the screen by Bath supporter and shareholder Ken Loach. The drama portrays how football is inextricably intertwined with the elements of the circle of life; birth, marriage and death.

The result is a poignant mixture of joy and pathos cleverly delivered by Loach in a mockumentary style which, a few years ago, somebody pointed out to me, is just like how we carry on in the pub George mentions in his article.

I like to think I?m as bleedin? cultured as George but he has the advantage over me when he begins quoting Aristotle or Rimbaud during a rant about Moyes or Kenwright [I kid you not], you see I?m a little younger so I never saw either of those play for us!

Great piece George, enjoyed reading it, thought provoking as ever.
Brian Denton
19   Posted 29/11/2011 at 22:34:50

Eugene, yes my mistake reading your post again. We are the same age.

Never went The Lee Park, though the girl I mentioned was from Netherley (quiet at the back...).

As for under age drinking, The Clock on London Rd and The Legs of Man were always a good bet. Also on match days The Salutation off Scottie Rd could be relied on not to knock yer back even at 14 or 15.
Andrew James
20   Posted 29/11/2011 at 22:33:15

@ Colin

Aristotle was a cunning playmaker but that Rimbaud was a lousy trainer and let his rampant sex life over shadow his game. Who can forget the day the frisky French winger starting grinding up against the linesman?

Now Solzhenitsyn was a player. And he hated the Reds.
George McKane
21   Posted 30/11/2011 at 07:54:18

Great comments. I remember doing a talk to The Liverpool Biennial and mentioned how sad I was that Van Gogh hadn't signed for Everton... I don't think they really got it.

The great thing about Van Gogh of course is you can talk to him all day about Everton and it goes in one ear and stays there.
Peter Mills
22   Posted 30/11/2011 at 08:25:27

I really enjoyed this piece and all the comments. I was at nearly all the games mentioned, most of them with my dad and brother (both named Charlie).

Dad loves all the family/Everton stuff, he is still the patriarch and until recent weeks has managed to join us post-match in the Edinburgh (Crosby). He is in Fazakerley Hospital at the moment, I was with him yesterday afternoon and he was quite frail, but buoyed by a card Charlie junior had brought him signed by David Moyes and some of the players. He could barely talk, but made sure he made known to me his love for his family and his team.
Tony I'Anson
23   Posted 30/11/2011 at 08:42:45

Hello George, I am part of the Everton Diaspora, and naively thought the influence of Everton would fade when I left the city in 1988.

I would like to add another dimension to your article, namely "Births, marriages, deaths and Travel" as an Evertonian. I vividly recall the day after 20 Feb 1991 whilst doing my year in Malaga. I was living around the corner from where Pablo Picasso was born. This day I decided to visit my mate who was doing the same in the historic and cultural city of Murcia, not too far away. Whilst standing on the flat roof of his white-washed walled Chateau overlooking this ancient place, I can still hear him say "Everton 4" and my heart skipping a beat, then "Liverpool 4". Despite the setting, I recall wishing I'd been at Goodison that day.

Also, aged 10 on 1 March 1980 I still vividly remember standing by the dug out and them trying to save Dixie in the stands after another Derby. Someone was desperately trying to resucitiate him and everyone round about the Enclosure was shouting words of encouragement. I didn't really understand what was going on at the time, but I only hope the last words Dixie heard were fans shouting his name.

Finally on 17 October 2010, at last year's home Red Sox Derby, I walked into The Dark House for the very first time. The first person I met was George McKane. After that match, I met a fella called Mike Owen. This was also the very first time the words "Trust Everton" were uttered. I know I've only been lurking on TW for ages, but we are getting close, so close to launching this. There is still a long journey ahead but we have laid down many foundations that will help us along the way.
Alan McGuffog
24   Posted 30/11/2011 at 09:02:21

Gerry #3. Only Everton...... 4 - 1 up and coasting. Blink, and the Baggies get it back to 4 -4. Cue Bally to get a penalty in the last five minutes.
Sam Morrison
25   Posted 30/11/2011 at 10:19:59

Lovely post George. As a southern agoraphobe my fandom is confined to the telly, by and large, but your tale makes me envious. I wish I lived in walking distance of Goodison.
Derek Thomas
26   Posted 30/11/2011 at 10:22:41

It's been asked before, what makes us so special, well all this stuff does. I love this Club from the dumbest Knobhead to the truest Gent.

We're that special, that far ahead, that the rest can't see it...poor sods...serves them right, they wouldn't know what to do with it any way.
Brian Denton
27   Posted 30/11/2011 at 13:28:35

Careful Derek, you sound a bit like Kenwright !

Another of my memories, less pleasant this time. I was coming home with my brother from a Boxing Day game against Huddersfield, and we were getting the ferry back to Birkenhead. As we were walking down the landing stage there was a little group of Bolton fans coming up from the ferry. They'd been playing Tranmere. Cue for a group our 'knobheads' to attack this group of lads and get one of them on the floor. The poor Bolton fan must have been all of twelve years old, but that didn't stop our brave lads from kicking him in the head. That memory stuck with me for a long time.
Craig Walker
28   Posted 30/11/2011 at 14:25:00

Great article. Everton is in our veins. Dad took me to Maine Road but we had to go in the City end. Everton won. Went to the next home match against Norwich City. Fell in love with the place. Dad died in 2003 just two months after my brother's wedding. I was my brother's best man. Got a card signed by the team and gave it him during my speech with the words "the only thing Moyes has signed all Summer". I got married in December 2009 on the day we drew 3-3 at Chelsea. He was my best man. He got me a signed card and said "the only thing Moyes has signed all season".

I used to have a t-shirt that I bought in the Gwladys Street chapel. It said:-

EVERTON
for better for worse
for richer for poorer
in sickness and in health
to love, cherish, and to obey
till death us do part
Ray Roche
29   Posted 30/11/2011 at 15:36:10

And on this very day, November 30th, 1968, it was Everton 7, Leicester City 1, with, as I remember, Royle banging 3 past Peter Shilton. I remember it well, it was my 20th birthday. I also remember going to the Mardi Gras at the bottom of Mount Pleasant that night to celebrate...hang on..that means I'm..HOW old today???
Peter Mills
30   Posted 30/11/2011 at 18:40:05

7-1, I seem to remember the players let Jimmy Husband take a late penalty so that numbers 7 -11 all scored (Husband, Ball, Royle, Hurst, Humphries)
Eric Myles
31   Posted 01/12/2011 at 01:35:53

My eldest sister got married on a derby day.

Everyone in the church had a portable radio in their pocket and earphones, including the groom and the priest.
Dave Roberts
32   Posted 01/12/2011 at 08:27:21

Ray Roche.

Happy birthday for yesterday. Mine too! (and Churchill's and Lineker's) Except I was 21 that day. Consequently I don't remember anything about the following day but after a night out down town (mainly in the Bear's Paw as I recall) I was told I nearly got arrested for having a piss on the little roundabout that used to be between the Adelphi and Lewis's corner (it still embarrasses me to think of it!)

I had a season ticket in those days in the Lower Bullens, at the front about 20 seats in from the Gladdy end.

You weren't sitting next to me were you?!
Tony Waring
33   Posted 01/12/2011 at 10:09:46

Peter #22. Sorry to hear about your dad - a great Evertonian - and I hope he's soon out of hospital. Mention of him reminds me of another great fan of Everton & football in general, Austin Thomas, who at one time did great work with the boy's team. I was in the car with him on the way home from a game against Forest (we won I think 3-1) and he had a heart attack driving down Hale Road; luckily we were not moving fast and I was merely shookm up in more senses than one but the one relieving feature was that we had won and when he met St Peter he would have had a big smile on his face. He had just come from heaven and now here he was entering heaven !
Ray Roche
34   Posted 01/12/2011 at 13:28:50

Dave Roberts.
Happy Birthday to you too! No,mate, I was standing in Gwladys St, not far from where I now sit. I don't remember seeing you, though....
Hope you had a good day, I did!
I think....
Danny Biddle
35   Posted 01/12/2011 at 14:43:38

My birthday yesterday as well... :D

Some great memories on here. Hopefully we will have some more in the near future...fingers crossed, never know just whats around the corner.
George McKane
36   Posted 01/12/2011 at 14:51:34

Okay gang, seeing we are talking about birthdays, I was 62 last birthday, 20th November, got a signed pair of boots from Tim Cahill ?how good is that? I know I'm 62 but sound like a kid... but so what?

You never know... I might need them on Sunday.
Dave Roberts
37   Posted 01/12/2011 at 15:00:42

George McKane

And it was on your birthday in 1971 that we beat Southampton 8-0! In a snowstorm as I recall.

We had two hat tricks that day. One from Royle and I think the other was Husband (?) The scoreboard read something like 7-9-9-7-9-8-7 and another player number (can't remember who else scored) The sad thing was, didn't know it at the time but Bally's goal that day was the last he ever scored for Everton.
Dave Roberts
38   Posted 01/12/2011 at 15:23:30

Just checked. It wasn't Husband it was David Johnson (No 7) and it was FOUR from Royle. The scoreboard read........

7-9-7-9-8-9-9-7

What a day!
Ray Roche
39   Posted 01/12/2011 at 15:27:41

Listen,George, if you're taking your boots,so am I!.
Danny Biddle can play up front as he's probably the youngest.
And we'll put Dave Roberts in defensive mid since his legs have gone...

Dad's Army FC.
Dave Roberts
40   Posted 01/12/2011 at 15:29:32

Sorry for posting again so quickly (I don't want to hog the thread )but the 8-0 Southampton game is something I talk about a lot to my son and grand-kids. Does anybody have the same recollection of the game as I do?

You see it in the records and you would be excused (if you weren't there) for assuming it was a one-sided slaughter and it was far from it. It was so windy and snowing that snow was starting to pile up against the old Park End wall. It must have been very difficult for the players. I seem to remember they started the game with the usual white ball but changed it at half-time for an orange one that we never see nowadays, because the snow was starting to stick.

Because of the conditions there were loads of chances at both ends but every chance we had seemed to hit the back of the net and none of theirs did. It was actually quite an even game apart from the eventual score!

I've never seen another game like it. It was weird.

But I liked it!
Dave Roberts
41   Posted 01/12/2011 at 15:46:25

Sorry Ray but I'll have to let you down there. It's not only my legs that have gone but my tackle isn't what it used to be either.

So can't play in defence I'm afraid.

I'd have a go on the wing if you like but I do have TWO Garrincha knees. Is that good or bad?

Dave Roberts
42   Posted 01/12/2011 at 16:11:08

....it could make me twice the player he was......
Gerry Quinn
43   Posted 01/12/2011 at 16:11:35

Southampton humped 8-0! I travelled up for that match with the Southampton supporters as I used to work at the Ordnance Survey in Southampton in those days.

Two vivid memories of personal post-match celebrations (other than the trip back):

1. Wrapping my Everton scarf around my draughtsman's light table in work on the Monday and almost setting it alight!

2. Talking with Jimmy Gabriel's dad on the Thursday night in the Gateway pub (near the old Dell) - what a great guy he was - and still a total Evertonian just like his son
Terry White
44   Posted 01/12/2011 at 16:26:52

Peter Mills (#22)

Sorry to see your Dad is in hospital. Also sorry to say my Dad was in Southport at the weekend after breaking his arm in a fal at home. He and my Mum are now in respite together in a care home in Southport. Two old friends and great Evertonians suffering together. Dad is now 94, Mum 89. I'll pass on your news and trust you will do the same. All the Best to all your family.
George McKane
45   Posted 01/12/2011 at 16:23:04

Fantastic memories and stories. I believe this post has done us all a bit of good. Sad week with Gary Speed story. Hard times on and off the pitch. A bit of personal slagging on other posts. So this is the post for great memories about a great team by great fans. If all that sounds a like blowing our own trumpets ? so what ? let's blast away. And as you all know Louis Armstrong was an Evertonian. What a wonderful world.

Regarding the 8-0 game, I lived in City Road then and could just walk to the game. It was indeed freezing and snowing. We always talk about that game and say Royle got 4, Johnson got a hat-trick but hardly got a mention in the press and of course Bally got the other.
Ray Roche
46   Posted 01/12/2011 at 16:49:10

Dave Roberts.

I'm trying to think up a quip about your damaged tackle and "over the ball" but I'm failing...
Now, Garrincha.... HE was a wide man!
Tony Waring
47   Posted 01/12/2011 at 16:52:25

8-0 against the Saints. Yes what a fantastic match that was. Anyone remember the other time we pasted Chelsea... and was it 7-0 or 8-0; can't remember now because I was delirious!

Then there was Alex Young's stunner against Spurs but I don't remember the year and needless to say the one against Bayern Munich... only got a ticket at the last minute and so glad I made it that night.
Tony Waring
48   Posted 01/12/2011 at 16:57:37

Nearly forgot the game against Barnsley when we notched eight goals and Eggo got five of them. I think I must have been in the Boys Pen that day.
Ray Roche
49   Posted 01/12/2011 at 17:03:33

Tony Waring, Was the Alex Young goal the header in 62-63 when Spurs were our rivals for the league? That goal helped clinch the title, and there is a famous photo of Young out-jumping (i think) Maurice Norman, the centre-half with Bill Brown the keeper in no-man's land.
Michael Brien
50   Posted 01/12/2011 at 17:20:57

About the Southampton game I think that it was 5-0 at half time... When the teams came out for the second half, I think an Evertonian came on from the Park End and offered Gordon West an umbrella!!

I always remember one of my teachers ? Jimmy Yeo, a geography teacher ? having a gentle dig at the end of the season: "You scored a quarter of your goals last season in one game!!!"
Brian Denton
51   Posted 01/12/2011 at 18:25:13

This link will get you all the details you want, rather than trying to guess who scored what and when. It's a goldmine!

Terry White
52   Posted 01/12/2011 at 19:20:57

Tony Waring (#33)

Austin Thomas was a true gentleman...with a fine voice.
Peter Mills
53   Posted 01/12/2011 at 22:04:43

Tony Waring, Terry White, best wishes.

Now then, Charlie Mills and Dick White. Two very old men now, but how they love the Blues. 3 wonderful memories of them:

Wembley 66, they set out from St Peter and Paul's Crosby at 6:30 Saturday, returned 24 hours later. Terry, we were just boys, tagging along with them, in awe of everything that happened in those 24 hours!

Wembley 89, I was still by their side as Dick White physically attacked his oldest friend for not celebrating Stuart McCall's last minute equaliser. But that friend, my Dad Charlie Mills, shrugged and said "We're never going to win today."

And best of all, going with them to the launch of a book, the History of Everton by Charlie's grandson James Corbett. I picked up my dad, in our lounge suits, to attend the event at the Adelphi. We collected Dick, aged about 85, who came out resplendent in dinner suit and bow tie as my dad had instructed! Massive row ensued in the taxi as Dick was not happy about his outfit.

The night was a great success, typical Gwladys St Hall of Fame lunacy. We were on the top table with James, I had a quiet word with the compere Elton Welsby that Dick had a good story to tell. Elton handed the immaculate Mr White the microphone and he held the audience spellbound as he recalled every detail of the day he saw W R Dean score his 60th goal. It brings tears to my eyes to recall it. As might be expected the audience went wild, and it took us about an hour to leave the Adelphi at the end of the night because everyone wanted to shake his hand!

Ours is a special club.
Terry White
54   Posted 01/12/2011 at 22:54:03

Peter - if you want to be in touch directly my email is terryefc@comcast.net.

Wonderful memories. The coaches to Wembley actually left Southport and I, together with my best mate, Bill James, were on a separate coach and so were not regaled that day by Jack Fleming in his prime! Needless to say, our coach arrived back in Southport in the wee hours but WAY ahead of the second coach. So Bill & I had to field questions from the law about why we were hovering in shop doorways in the middle of the nigh.

My Dad has always been a bit more excitable than your Dad. There again, just about everybody I know is more excitable than your Dad! He is renowned for thinking a good while before passing judgement! A wise judgement, may I say.

We have been very fortunate to know each other as families. And very fortunate to be brought up as Evertonians. My Dad's first game at Goodison was in January 1924, nearly 88 years ago. And my two sons were in the crowd among the Blue Support at the Reebok last Saturday. We have been taught well by Masters.
Peter Mills
55   Posted 01/12/2011 at 22:54:47

And on a tangent - I've just checked the EvertonResults site (thank you Brian) to confirm my memory was not playing tricks. The Southampton goalkeeper who conceded 8, Eric Martin, also conceded 4 and 4 in two other league games at Goodison. But my recollection was that he played very well in all those games, and he was a very popular visitor ? not for letting in goals but for being heroic and retaining a sense of humour and perspective.
Peter Mills
56   Posted 01/12/2011 at 23:14:32

I'll contact you privately, Terry, for fear of boring the wider audience on this site. But to finish, what I really love is that you are right, we have been been educated well in all things Everton.

But our families are just two, and there are so many families and friends who are similar who go to the match or don't but still understand the whole thing. Bless 'em all!

We cannot linger in the past, we have to move forward, but if you don't understand your past you cannot create your future.
Colin Fitzpatrick
57   Posted 01/12/2011 at 23:28:05

Peter Mills #53,

If you could bottle that post you'd make a fortune, fantastic stuff.
Terry White
58   Posted 02/12/2011 at 02:01:40

I'll look forward to hearing from you, Peter. and hope for better news of your Dad.

To conclude from my end, I think George McKane, the original poster, had it right. There's much more to being an Evertonian than "Moyes Out" or "Kenwright Out". These are passing temporal issues. It's about supporting the club and the team on the field regardless of who is running the club or who is the manager. It's rather like being Catholic, isn't it? You must have faith. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Mick Davies
59   Posted 02/12/2011 at 02:09:41

I was in the boys pen for that 7-1 thrashing of Leicester (didn't see BK in there though!). I've since lost my two older Evertonian brothers and one of my fondest memories is a game with no particular significance to most ? a 2-0 Boxing Day win over Derby in the mid 70s ? but It was the last time the three of us attended a game together.

As for departed blues, did anyone see the BBC documentary about Hitler living in Toxteth in the years before the first world war? Apparently the rumour is he was an Evertonian, but I can't remember a minute's silence for him.
Ray Roche
60   Posted 02/12/2011 at 07:35:51

Mick Davies

No doubt Kenwright will come out and tell us about the time he showed Old Adolf around Scotty Rd.
With Elvis, apparently.
Michael Brien
61   Posted 02/12/2011 at 07:22:14

Peter #55 re Eric Martin ? yes, I would agree, he was a good keeper. Unfortunately he didn't have the best of defences in front of him. I think the week after we beat them 8-0 they lost 2-5 at the Dell to Man United and later on that season they lost 7-0 at Leeds. I felt sorry for them watching that match on the TV as Leeds started to taunt them a bit with fancy backheels etc ? a bit disrespectful I thought. I seem to think Eric Martin won a few caps for Scotland.

As regards personal dates and anniversaries, my Dad ? who went to his first game in 1949, and took me to my first one in 1967 when I was 7 years old ? passed away on the morning of the Derby game at Anfield 23rd February 2002. Before I became a student at Christ's College (now Hope University), we would go to the games together and for some seasons we had a season ticket. When I started to go to the Gwladys Street End as a poor student (we really were poor students in the mid/late 1970s!!!) my Dad had a season ticket in the Upper Bullens Road seat H142. I think I still have his season ticket book for the 2001-02 season.

The time that it really hit me that he had died was actually at Goodison. It was my visit after he had passed away ? the opening game of the 2002-03 season. Everton were celebrating 100 seasons of top flight football and there was before the match a parade of former players. Many of them were guys that my Dad had told me stories of when I was kid, such as Dave Hickson and Wally Fielding. I can remember thinking that he would have loved to see that parade, and trying to keep a tear or two away.
Tony Waring
62   Posted 02/12/2011 at 09:21:14

Ray #49. That's the one I mean. He appeared to hang in the air for a long time! Talking of games against Spurs I seem to recall a screamer from Sharpy against them... at the Park End, I believe.
Ray Roche
63   Posted 02/12/2011 at 09:33:54

Tony,

If you put " Alex Young" into Google and look through the images you can see that photo amongst the collection and also read some articles on the Blues. Worth 10 minutes of anybody's time.
Norman Merrill
64   Posted 02/12/2011 at 12:15:43

Tony, post 48.

When Tommy Eglington scored the 5 goals at Goodison, it was against Doncaster Rovers and the score was 7-1
Tony Waring
65   Posted 02/12/2011 at 12:40:04

Norman #64 ? yes, you are correct. My memory suffers from age evidently! Imagine Doncaster in the 1st Division.
George McKane
66   Posted 02/12/2011 at 12:58:02

The Alex Young goal against Spurs was a fantastic goal? and what an iconic photo!

I am in the Golden Vision Book by David France, page 129. I ran onto the pitch at the end of the game and kissed Alex Young's boot. I told my Mum I was never going to wash around my mouth again ? you want to see the state of me these days ? dreadful.

Again, good memories.
Ray Roche
67   Posted 02/12/2011 at 13:28:56

George McKane.

Yer dirty get.
Colin Fitzpatrick
68   Posted 02/12/2011 at 13:31:02

George #66,

Talking of running onto the pitch, do you know who this young hooligan is evading the copper after we won the league in '63????

Trevor Skempton
69   Posted 02/12/2011 at 14:00:29

Colin....

Was it Bill K?

....Trevor
Colin Fitzpatrick
70   Posted 02/12/2011 at 14:02:08

Trevor, don't you start or I'll publish the one of you on the pitch three years later, well your legs anyway!!
George McKane
71   Posted 02/12/2011 at 18:01:54

The 63 picture - well Colin I'm sure you know that is Ted from The Dark House - - Ted of the magical teeth - - for anyone who wishes to see Ted and Teeth as well as Ted minus Teeth have a look at The Dark House Blues on Facebook - - see Ted in 63 and now - - also under The Derby Match photos there is a fantastic set of photos of Everton Tattoos. I ran onto the pitch in 63 with my mate Brian Brady - great days. Be nice to see any of the above commentators in The Dark House ( The Barlow Arms ).
Tony Sullivan
72   Posted 03/12/2011 at 13:18:23

Norman/Tony, Posts 64-65

29 September 1952. We played doncaster Rovers, my first game at Goodison on my own, I was 7 years old.

Ended up in the Gwladys St end instead of the Boys Pen. I was lifted up onto one of the crush barriers near the front. It became my spec for years after that.

Eggo scored 5!! I think it was a Second Division game.

Thanks for bringing back the memory.
Charles Mills
73   Posted 03/12/2011 at 21:39:15

I wasn't going to say anything on this post for reasons that may become obvious but the quality of correspondence is superb so well done everyone.

My 7 year old daughter died at Alder Hey on 17 February 1991 ? the day we played that other lot at Anfield in the Cup. She was dressed in her autographed Everton shirt which I still have. Her death was unexpected and I actually had a ticket for the match which obviously wasn't used. If you all remember we had a cast iron penalty against Pat Nevin which wasn't given by a referee, Neil Midgeley. Midge was a good guy who spoke at a Dinner to raise funds for a Musical Trust in Sarah's memory and would not accept a penny.

The replay was the famous 4-4 draw and I went, against my will, but at the insistence of my wife, my brother (who is posted here) and my Dad. I remember little of the evening but I do know that Tony Waring and Austin Thomas ( also referred to in this thread ) were seated just in front of us in the Main Stand.

The point of this post is not to be morbid, far from it, but to explain that our Football Club goes far beyond what and when they win. I went to that replay because everyone knew that would be where I would find some comfort, amongst my own, and they were right! It wasn't about Football it was was about Family and I was amongst my own.

We should not underestimate the power of belonging to this extraordinary Everton family.

Regards to Terry, Tony, my Brother and Alan McCuffog. Great Evertonians all of you.

Andy Crooks
74   Posted 03/12/2011 at 22:49:25

Charles, your post isn't morbid. It's moving and wonderfully uplifting.
Lee Courtliff
75   Posted 03/12/2011 at 22:55:48

Charles your post is, as Andy said, very moving.

One day I will have to deal with losing somebody I truly love and I imagine Goodison is one place I would be able to find some degree of comfort.

Like you said, it is an extension of family, of home.

It's my favourite place on Earth.
Mark Riding
76   Posted 03/12/2011 at 23:11:24

#73 Charles..

For what it's worth, I think that sums Evertononians up for me. Class.

Best of luck in the future, and I wish you and your family all the best. Not morbid, but an inspirational post.
Brian Denton
77   Posted 05/12/2011 at 18:44:44

Charles, a very moving and inspirational piece.
Peter Mills
78   Posted 05/12/2011 at 19:23:54

Charlie? Inspirational? I wish you lads had sat next to him at as many big matches as I have, listening to him mutter "Here it is, here it comes" every time the opposition enter our half of the pitch. Mind you, he has been correct quite often!
Best wishes all round.