Season 2011-12

Yakubu scoring for fun

115 Comments: First  |  Last

I know Yakubu starts strong at first on transfer and I know the lad tends to loose interest and fitness, but that's an issue for a manager and coaching staff to control.

He's put four away this weekend. His last performance against Liverpool at Goodison Park was surely something to build on. We desperately need staff who can keep our players motivated, inspired and allow them to play to their strengths (never mind in their position).

David Moyes seems to have a knack for dulling an attacker's edge and seems to be on a similar path with Drenthe... wanting him to build on his defensive game. He'll sap the attack out of him too or give him the cold shoulder should he not tow the line.

Hopefully it's the fast tract for Dunc's coaching badges as we need some offensive input to at least balance the Moyes/Round/Stubbs 'back 11' mentality.

Here's to putting a few past Stoke tomorrow.
Paul Columb, Alaska     Posted 04/12/2011 at 00:44:06

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Joe McMahon
1   Posted 03/12/2011 at 15:53:42

Maybe, Moyes should have done more with Yakubu. It's HT at Rovers and he's scored twice. That's about 7 or 8 league goals now for Rovers in 8 matches. How many have Saha & Cahil got this season? - Cheers Moyes!
Brian Waring
2   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:03:24

Joe, the Yak was showing some form before being dropped. Also, you will have lads telling you that he always scores goals in his first season at a new club.
Jamie Barlow
3   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:23:14

You love it don't you Joe? You can't wait for Yakubu to score so you can have your little dig at Moyes.

It is true though Brian.

He was lazy as fuck and didn't deserve to play for us. No point crying about it now.
Michael Coville
4   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:20:54

Well Brian it was true when playing for Everton but no other team. If you take the ratio of goals over games he has the following percentages:

Portsmouth
50%, 44%, then 49%
Middlesbrough 34% then 36%
Everton 54%, 29%, 17% and 7%
Leicester 55%
Blackburn 89% till today.

I know he was injured when playing for us but for other teams he has been pretty consistent.
Michael Coville
5   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:36:41

Jamie, Yakubu was lazy when playing for us at the end just like Saha is today. Sort of interesting how Steve Kean who is under a lot of pressure can get the best out of the Yak and Moyes had problems doing the same. Maybe some positive talk instead of all this negative shit he is spouting would give our strikers some confidence! His game plan is just as negative.
Nick Entwistle
6   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:37:40

Yakubu always plays well to make his transfer worthwhile and then loses interest. It will happen more and more as he's only 23.
Jamie Barlow
7   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:42:50

Maybe you're right Michael. Maybe he'll do fuck all next season. Who knows? What does it matter? He plays for Blackburn because He was a lazy fucker at the end.
Brian Denton
8   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:49:23

Perhaps if you tell yourself enough times that the Yak is useless and wouldn't have scored for us this season, you'll convince yourself. Won't convince me though!
Stephen Kenny
9   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:54:27

It looks like Moyes isn't the only one who puts hard work before goals. I couldn't give a fuck if he ran 200yds all season, as long as he got the goals.

The thing about the Yak is, he always gets the goals!
Brian Denton
10   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:59:07

Jimmy Kelly, wtf are you on about? I'm not a 'Moyes Out' person at all. I was merely putting my view that the anti-Yak stuff was crap.
Eugene Ruane
11   Posted 03/12/2011 at 16:42:59

Jamie (#3) - Don't give us that 'You're just waiting for the opportunity' bollocks.

Many of us were 'crying about it' AT THE TIME (nb: and some of us don't feel we have to wait to 'have a little dig' at Mr Demotivator).

Fact: Latchford was considered by many to be 'lazy as fuck', he also did less running than Yak and was fatter.

But...he knew where the goal was (nb: a forward's job is scoring not tracking back).

Yes Yakubu seems to do very little when not scoring, but with decent service, he will ALWAYS get goals.

Question is, do you want an athlete-shaped footballer who runs up and down all day, but can't trap a ball and couldn't score in the gravvy with a bottle of rohypnol.

Or do you want goals.

Moyes (and apparently you) seem more than happy with the former.
Brian Denton
12   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:10:46

Good point about Latch, Eugene. Most of his goals were tap-ins (in fact I'd be pushed to remember a single screamer he scored). But what a finisher. I'll never forget the way he adjusted his body position to score the winner in the Cup Quarter Final against Ipswich in 1980, when everyone had written us off before the game.

The idea of Latch tracking back is quite an amusing thought!
Jimmy Kelly
13   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:08:10

Apologies Brian, I was skim reading and thought you were somebody else.

I was a Yak fan and personally would have kept him but theres more to it than just number of goals. He's scored a fair few and it's annoying but Moyes asked him to work harder and he didn't want to. For me, thats's unforgivable.

It's easy to say that you want goals and you're not bothered about the effort but, as blackburn have found, it's all very well him scoring but it's no use if the opposition score more - and if you don't defend from the front they more than likely will.
Ian Edwards
14   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:20:11

No striker has ever thrived under Moyes. They lack service and are expected to run themselves into the ground.

If Moyes could get a packhorse to understand the offside rule he would put a blue shirt on it.

Even Messi in our team wouldn't score more than 5 a season.
Jimmy Sørheim
15   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:16:15

Looking at our squad during pre-season, I felt as though we would at least keep Yakubu, but he was given away by David Moyes for as little as £1.25 million.

He has now hit 10 goals for Blackburn and I am not surprised that he has found the net again as he has been given a fair chance by Steve Kean. Moyes on the other hand has borne a grudge towards Yakubu; he chose to loan out Yakubu to Leicester when he was the only striker looking like he could score. His Liverpool and Stoke games must be pointed out as good games for him.

My main point is that Moyes has complained that we have no other strikers than Saha... well, it is his own doing and he has embarrassed himself by giving Yakubu away almost for free ? and then he complains about it afterwards... how stupid can you be? I get why he sold Beckford as that was good money, but there was no reason at all for selling/giving away Yakubu almost for free, and he has shot himself in the foot, as we have lost £10 million on him.

It is not just the money but the extreme gamble to only have one senior experienced striker in this league, and it is a gamble he has lost big time.

This on its own is a reason to ask if Moyes should be manager at Everton; he has put the club in a mess by doing this, and I just cannot forgive that.

A manager has to look out for the best interest of his club; this is where Moyes has failed us the most. I would have kept Arteta if I had the choice, even if he was unhappy, but the sale of Yakubu was not logical in any way as he had sold Vaughan and Beckford already.

Time is right for Moyes to go; the fans must see that and start protesting against him. We are a weak shadow of what we were a couple of years ago, and Moyes has played his cards all wrong the last couple of years.
Eugene Ruane
16   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:21:46

Jimmy, if a forward is working his nuts off but doesn't score, believe me, he'll eventually get it in the neck.

It'll be "Yeah, I'm not sayin' he doesn't try but..."

Micky Walsh worked his nuts off running for us.

He did his running AND Latchford's but..couldn't score.

Latch could.

Seems some managers and supporters have forgotten what the POINT of the game is.
Kevin Sparke
17   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:33:24

'No striker has thrived under Moyes'

This Yakubu fella who shot his bolt the season he got injured and lost half a yard of pace had his most prolific season under Moyes...

Don't talk shite boys.
Jamie Barlow
18   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:24:06

Eugene, my little dig wasn't intended for the MANY of you who were crying about it at the time. It was intended solely for Joe McMahon who seems to revel in these moments. That's why I put Joe's name at the end of my comment.

Sometimes players need a change to get the best out of them. I agree he can get goals with the right service but I'll stand by my 'no point in crying about it now'.
Jimmy Stenn
19   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:40:44

Moyes is turning into Walter. Negative comments, square pegs round holes, never praising or geeing up his players.

Has anyone got Paul Lambert's number?
Ian Edwards
20   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:38:06

Kevin

Yakubu seems to have enough pace to score 4 today.

Perhaps it was the tactics under Moyes?

Moyes's contract expires at the end of next season. That day should be a National Holiday for every Evertonian.
Eugene Ruane
21   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:38:42

Kevin (#17) - 'shot his bolt'?

Can you explain EXACTLY what that means?

Before you answer, consider this.

This 'shot his bolt' striker scored 4 today.

You say he lost half a yard of pace after he got injured?

The BASTARD!! What a NERVE!!

Anyway, fuck Pace.

Pace is not everything and many great strikers have had less pace than Yakubu.

As for your concern over Ian's 'no striker has ever thrived under Moyes'.

Well, every striker may not have been total shite under Moyes, but...thrived?

Who?

Imo it's you who's talking shite (and shite unsupported by anything even approaching a fact).
Jimmy Kelly
22   Posted 03/12/2011 at 17:44:57

Yeah let's get Paul Lambert in. He went to City with the guts that Moyes didn't have and he really socked it to them today.

That's right isn't it? They won 5-1? What's that? They *lost* 5-1? Jeez, maybe 2-1 wasn't so bad.

Eugene, I haven't forgotten the point of the game at all, the point I was making is that somebody just standing round waiting to put the ball in the net is fine but it doesn't always work well for the team.

The Bob Latchford example is an interesting one, he had a great record individually but how many medals did he win with us? Most of you who are complaining are the same people who think we should be further up the table than we are but scoring more doesn't guarantee that if the balance is wrong.

I'm all for great goalscorers believe me, but sometimes just being able to put the ball in the net isn't enough.
Jimmy Stenn
23   Posted 03/12/2011 at 18:01:42

Thing is Jimmy, they had a go. They have had back to back promotions playing attack, direct football. Chances are they will struggle as they don't have enough Premier League standard players, but it hasn't stopped Lambert getting the best out of them.

The same way Moyes used to.

Let's face it, you can tell from his body language in interviews and the words he comes out with that he isn't as confident and positive as he used to be. Things like that trickle down to the players, and then down to the fans.
Rob Murphy
24   Posted 03/12/2011 at 18:05:29

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. Yakubu didn't score for us for how long?? Did he even look like scoring?? Pretty obvious to me he wanted out so give over with the what ifs & whys?
Kevin Sparke
25   Posted 03/12/2011 at 18:08:36

Hindsight, yep wonderful - don't get me wrong, I loved the Yak when he seemed to actually try, but apart from one derby game where he was back to his burst through the defence self - he lost it big time.

Now you could blame Moyes for this... but if you look at his record with every club he has been at he scored a shed-full and then does fuck all.

I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that he doesn't reach 12 goals this season
Mark Riding
26   Posted 03/12/2011 at 19:14:57

Yakubu had a shocking injury. He struggled to get confidence and fitness back quickly enough for Everton. If you don't know the extent and implications of such an injury, please 'Google it'.

He got his fitness back, and in a few games (especially the derby) looked a handful. His style / attitude (not tracking back) no longer suited the team / manager's style.

I know for fact, that he never asked or wanted to leave and he was always willing to play. I always said a fit Yakubu was an asset, and indeed maybe an asset we had to sell (cheaply) to save on the wage bill, as goalscorers do not come cheap, especially proven ones!
Colin Wainwright
27   Posted 03/12/2011 at 19:23:56

Jimmy Kelly. There's not one fuckin medal rattling around that dressing room now.

Give me a modern day Latchford any day of the week. We'll be lucky to score thirty goals in total.
Lee Courtliff
28   Posted 03/12/2011 at 19:19:09

I was a fan of the Yak and was upset to see him lose his place just when he appeared to be finding some form. However, I wouldn't be too harsh on Moyes for letting him go.

If you look at the facts, Yak does have a track record of starting well and then fading away when he joins a new club.

I remember reading a while ago that whilst at M'Boro he failed to score after February, for two seasons running. A very 'streaky' striker indeed.

In my opinion, we should have kept him and blown a bit of sunshine up his (fat) arse to try to get him motivated. But if he had his heart set on leaving and Moyes felt he wasn't putting in the same effort as the rest of the players, then I understand why he was sold.

Still, I think we let him go far too cheaply. I hope he does well at Blackburn but I've got a feeling he will score more goals this season than he will next season. It seems that is just the way it goes with the Yak.

I don't agree with Eugene (hardly ever do) that we can just have a striker stood there waiting to be fed. I think the Yak, at his best for us, did put in a reasonable shift. And these days,with many more 'ball-playing' defenders i think you need a striker that puts in the effort to defend from the front.

Yak was dropped after his first couple of games for us for not putting in the required effort. Once he had adjusted to what Moyes wanted from him, he went on to bag more than 20 goals that season, so it's not as though goals and effort are mutually exclusive.

Like I said, I wouldn't be TOO harsh on Moyes because I do see his reasons for letting Yak go but in my humble opinion Davy got this one wrong.

Hindsight. A wonderful thing.
Joe McMahon
29   Posted 03/12/2011 at 20:09:54

Jamie Barlow ? FFS, why on earth are you having a go at me? I've followed this team since 1977, and I'm entitled to question a manager who has not only been in the job for over 10 years, but is also one of the highest paid managers in Europe.

I am rather concerned that our manager is always commenting/putting down our strikers yet he chose to not only not play Yak, but sell him for peanuts. Now how many Goals will Vic & Saha get this season?? Next time, don't have digs at fellow Evertonians.
Paul McGinty
30   Posted 03/12/2011 at 21:04:41

Most of Latchford's goals were tap-ins!!!

The 4 against QPR, the diving header against West Ham in the cup semi, the left-footed volley against Coventry. How soon they forget. The guy was lethal around the box. Great at losing a marker and dynamite with his head. That's why he walked on water.
Jamie Barlow
31   Posted 03/12/2011 at 21:13:32

I wasn't really having a go at you, Joe. It was just a light-hearted dig at your constant sniping of Moyes.

Each to their own. I just wonder how long this will go on. Will Moyes be justified in selling him if he now goes 10 games without a goal?

I'd have loved to have kept him if he was going to score for us like he is for Blackburn... but it wasn't happening, was it?
Ryan Holroyd
32   Posted 03/12/2011 at 21:36:43

Yak was class when he could be arsed but, like he did with Boro, us and Portsmouth, he'll start like a train at Blackburn then give up.

I was happy to see him go because he did nothing for Everton last season.

I was also happy we got his £40k a week wages off the wage bill, we got £1 million for him plus £1 million from Leicester in the loan fee.

£40k a week saved for two seasons is £4million plus the £2 million.

The mistake made was not selling him when West Ham came in for him last summer. He didn't want to play for Everton. He lost interest, get over it.
Andy Crooks
33   Posted 03/12/2011 at 22:00:20

Yakubu was the best striker Everton have had for some time. Pure bad management by David Moyes is why he is scoring for Blackburn and not us.

David Moyes cannot abide luxury players ? as Drenthe will find out. It's just one of the reasons why he will never get a better job than the one he is lucky enough to have and why we will never win a trophy while he is here.

Dour, unimaginative and devoid of any ambition other than Premier League survival and the continuation of his ludicrous contract.
Robbie Muldoon
34   Posted 03/12/2011 at 22:37:40

Moyes has fucked up big time letting Yakubu go. As far as I can see, David Moyes is an horrendous manager to work under as a striker. The cost of losing an attacker like Yakubu, for whatever reason, has cost us dearly in our current situation of being limper than an old eskimo's dick, when it comes to scoring.

I think I have worked out the phrase to describe David Moyes... not good enough for Everton.
Robbie Muldoon
35   Posted 03/12/2011 at 22:40:21

If you believe in an Everton that should win things that is.
John Daley
36   Posted 03/12/2011 at 22:32:44

Yakubu may be banging them in at the moment but he still looks like he needs use a boomerang to fasten his belt.

He never really seemed a Moyes type player to me and I was pleasantly surprised he went for him. His work ethic and fitness levels were questioned early in his Everton career but once he hit a rich vein of goalscoring form I think Moyes just had to bite his lip. As long as a forward is scoring regularly, who gives a toss if he runs around like a lunatic chasing lost causes?

If he's not scoring then things are obviously different. Unfortunately, the yaks goals had begun to dry up well before his injury. This could of been due to lack of service, loss of form, negative tactics or the fact the player had his head turned by talk of a move to Spurs. Doesn't really matter. He was a fading force for Everton before he got fucked.

After the injury he never seemed to regain any of his old sharpness and appeared to be fighting a losing battle with the blubber. I think Moyes just lost patience with him. I can understand that. The guy had got so big that every time he ran his arse applauded him. Not many managers would have persevered with him. Not many managers wanted to shell out decent money for him either. At £1.5m he was worth a punt by Blackburn. At £6m, or whatever we originally wanted for him, it would've been a case of 'on your bike' (Everton, not Yakubu).
Robert Daniels
37   Posted 03/12/2011 at 23:22:29

Davey Moyes said we need a striker to score 15 goals a season...

Well, he bought one, for about £11.5 million... then sold him for £2 an a packet of wine gums... and now he's scored 9 already for Blackburn.

Beckford also got into double figures last season and Moyes sold him as well.

Now apparently in January, Uncle Bill Bullshit is telling us there will be money available for a new striker.

What will Moyes do...??? Bid £5million for the Blackburn striker? Or will they want more??
Mike Hargreaves
38   Posted 03/12/2011 at 23:27:26

Another 4 Yakubu goals today for Blackburn, and we kept Saha....
Brian Denton
39   Posted 03/12/2011 at 23:42:50

Paul McGinty (26) most of Latchford's goals were tap-ins ? can't you see that is praise of any striker? It means that they are in the right place at the right time.

Christ, I seem to be having a bad time at the moment with people completely misunderstanding my posts. Perhaps I'd better retire.
Paul Olsen
40   Posted 04/12/2011 at 00:03:25

We´ll be lucky by this rate if anyone in our team will end up with nine goals come may. So Yakubu may be a streaky as you like, but he has already managed it.

We´ll probably end up buying Jason Roberts off Blackburn in january. Just the Moyes type of striker. Bullies and wrestles, but never scores.
John Ford
41   Posted 04/12/2011 at 01:39:09

Talk about revisionism. No-one would have picked Yakubu based on form over the past two years, but thats put to one side if theres fresh fodder to throw at Moyes.

Ryan Holroyd is right, he'll dissapear soon enough, just like at us, Portsmouth and Boro.
Anto Byrne
42   Posted 04/12/2011 at 02:41:10

Do Blackburn play 4-5-1? Other than EFC, I don't think any of the teams the YAK has scored goals for plays with a lone striker. Moyesie got rid due to payroll, age and form and his inabilty to play the lone striker.

Thomas crosses to Latchford goal!!! Hardly tap-ins when you get on the end of pin-point crosses.
Anto Byrne
43   Posted 04/12/2011 at 02:59:27

We could have kept Beckford and got $4m for Saha... now that would have been good business. Beckford had 10 goals and a year in the Prem so I would have thought he would have been up for a good second season. Oh well... not sure he has set the world on fire at Leicester?

How come we have not had a look at the Stracq so far this season? He looks big and strong but sitting on the bench getting match practice is typical of DM. Coleman has been out of sorts so far yet Magaye has not figured.

I am pleased that Bily is getting a run; hopefully he will figure today and score a couple of tap ins or a screamer. I'm sure Drenthe will start up ahead of him so maybe Osman will get a rest on the bench. I doubt it as Ossie is a defender first, forward second.
Stephen Kenny
44   Posted 04/12/2011 at 11:25:59

Jimmy #13

So it's the Yak's fault Blackburn can't defend?!? Classic that.
Stephen Kenny
45   Posted 04/12/2011 at 11:29:58

Funny how many people advocate having a striker who works hard. Surely in a 4-5-1 we can afford to let the forwards concentrate on scoring?
Brian Denton
46   Posted 04/12/2011 at 11:09:08

Enough already - okay, I exaggerated when I said most of Latchford's goals were tap-ins, but I was making a point, which was that his supreme skill was being htere, anticipating the yard of space that was going to become clear in the six yard box, and making sure he was there too.

It's a shame my point got misread by people who either thought I was somehow being critical of Bob or had lost my memory.
Denis Richardson
47   Posted 04/12/2011 at 12:21:13

Moyes fell out with the Yak - whether the player's fault or the manager's is not relevant as he's not in an Everton shirt anymore.

Let's hope for Saha and Vellios to start and Cahill given a break on the bench. (Stoke played midweek and are shite away so surely we can start with two recongnised strikers!).

Saha can play deeper and he's better and holding up the ball and playing people in than Cahill (who is off form anyway), and it would be good to see what they can produce together.

Let's get the 3 points and move one...

I for one was a big Yak fan and the person above who said the Yak would not get more than 12 goals this seasons needs to take his head out of his arse ? he's already scored 10 FFS!! Good luck to the Yak and thanks for the memories (just please don't score against us!)
James Kirrane
48   Posted 04/12/2011 at 13:56:25

I was very disappointed when Moyes sold the Yak during the last transfer window. I felt that he still had the predatory instinct to score goals at the highest level. Unfortunately David Moyes did not share my faith and really did not give him an opportunity last year.

Now the Yak has gone to pastures new and is blooming. Nine goals already in the league. It is so disappointing considering that we are crying out for a striker of proven quality and we have let one go for next to nothing.

I would not mind as much if we had replaced the Yak, but who have we brought in? Big Denis who must be a real mediocrity as he has barely featured this season. I think Moyes has shot himself and us the fans in the foot!

Jimmy Sørheim
49   Posted 04/12/2011 at 14:34:07

Moyes is no business man, he has lost £10M on Yak, and complains about us having no other striker than Saha. I have only one word for this and it is idiot. 10 goals he has scored for Blackburn; Saha, Denis, & Cahill have scored all together one goal...

The giving away of Yakubu is the worst piece of shit I have ever come across. There is no defending Moyes here, he has fucked up, simple as that. Now we rely on Saha and Cahill who are 32 plus and looking older as each game passes.

Truly embarrased by Moyes on this deal.
James Stewart
50   Posted 04/12/2011 at 18:15:25

This was a pigs ear by Moyes and there is no way to dress it up. Yak was a goal scorer through and through and it was madness to let him go when we are so light up front
Mick Davies
51   Posted 04/12/2011 at 18:21:45

When Moyes has finally left our club and we have a decent manager with an idea of how to play football, where will all the "Moyes is a genius" mouthpieces be? Quiet, or slagging him off I reckon.

Bruce has been forced out of Sunderland for almost the same reasons as we complain about DM: negative tactics, selling the best forwards (Gyan, Bent), putting square pegs into round holes etc. The same people were probably supporting Walter until his position was untenable, after the Boro game.

Yakubu is scoring goals again because he has support!!! Not rocket science is it. A striker without pace up on his own is not the way to win games. Midfielders who are defenders is not the way to create chances and defenders who cannot defend means conceding goals. E = mc²
Duncan McDine
52   Posted 04/12/2011 at 19:29:41

The reason we aren't scoring goals this season is the same reason for Yak not scoring for us since his injury... we have no creative midfielders. The loss of Pienaar and Arteta (more importantly Pienaar) means that we are left with players who don't pass and move... they just pass sideways to Baines and hope he can produce something. Guaye looked alright when he came on, so I hope he gets a bit more first team action. We're just getting more and more stale though... week by week we're getting worse!
Jamie Sweet
53   Posted 04/12/2011 at 22:30:48

"Not a Moyes type player" says it all really. A player more focussed on scoring goals than tracking back. That kind of attitude was never going to last long under DM.

Problem is, having forwards running around like headless chickens, tracking back and chasing lost causes isn't working either. It's just that this style sits a lot more comfortably with our drab boring dull as fuck manager.

Let's face it... even if we had kept the Yak, he'd only have a couple of goals to his name and people would be saying we should have got rid.

News flash: It's not the players that are the problem... it is the man who is coaching them and sending them out with shit negative defensive minded tactics.

I'm sick of it, and I'm sure the players must be too.
James Flynn
54   Posted 05/12/2011 at 00:35:39

The Yak has found his perfect situation. A team fighting relegation with a manager who puts no demands on Yak.

So, Yak hangs around the off-side line the entire game, marshalls what little energy he has, and does what he (indisputedly) was born to do; put the ball in the goal.

That's the best you can hope for with him. How long would Yak have lasted with SAF, Wenger, etc? Not as long as Moyes had to suffer him due to lack of funds.

Yak had everything to be a great. From the shoulders down. Nothing to do with Moyes.
Mick Davies
55   Posted 05/12/2011 at 01:56:40

James Flynn, you'll have to stop snorting that Vim.

"The Yak has found his perfect situation. A team fighting relegation with a manager who puts no demands on Yak"

So Steve Kean, who is fighting for his job, just allows his players to go out and do whatever they want? Moyes on the other hand, has a wonderful game plan in which every player knows what he has to do... hoof the ball away as soon as they get it and don't attempt to shoot towards the opposition goal. :(
Domino Darkley
56   Posted 05/12/2011 at 02:42:37

I am going to give Mr. Flynn the benefit of the doiubt and assume he is posting with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

If I wasn't so understanding, I might say that "SAF, Wenger, etc." might have already known about The Yak's deficiencies prior to forking out circa £12 million for his services.
Michael Brien
57   Posted 05/12/2011 at 07:37:14

Didn't we turn down £6M from West Ham in the summer of 2010 yet a year later we accept about £2M? The fact is- he is scoring well for a team that is struggling and for a manager who is enduring a great deal of very public criticism ( to put it midly) and therefore under a lot of pressure. Last week Moyes said that we lacked a 15-20 goal a season stiker - 2 things about that.
1. He negelected to say that we did have one in Yak - but he sold him.
2. If he thought that wouldn't it have been better to have NOT gone public - I would have thought that his comments would not exactly boost the confidence of our strikers.
Moyes OUT - er no but how about Moyes to show a bit more adventure in his tactics, not to be so predictable and not to be so critical in public of his players.His man management is crap - especially of the strikers - other players can seemingly get away with gaffs and still keep their place in the team.

And as regards Yak - perhaps playing for a manager who believes in him may be why he is doing well at the moment.
Nick Entwistle
58   Posted 05/12/2011 at 09:32:29

I don't know if this has been covered above, but the Yak myth as its called isn't being a one season wonder, its showing fuck all interest on the pitch when he wants a move. Something his season by season record doesn't show.
Chris Fisher
59   Posted 05/12/2011 at 10:20:00

Middlesborough fans said exactly the same thing when he joined us and started scoring for us straight away. It doesn't matter if the manager believes in him or not, he will start well for any team he joins then get fat and lazy until he gets sold. Rovers will get relegated then he will suddenly become un-intrested and be on the move again.
Daniel A Johnson
60   Posted 05/12/2011 at 12:14:35

Moyes wanted the Yak to chase and track back and blah blah blah...

He's a fucking predator lazy maybe, but he's a goal hanger, the fox in the box. Give him a chance around teh box and he scores, look at blackburn.

Pathetic that our genius manager couldn't play him to his strengths.
Daniel A Johnson
61   Posted 05/12/2011 at 12:17:52

Funny how Moyes fell out with Yobo and then Yak.

Moyes obviously just wanted both out no matter what.
Peter Warren
62   Posted 05/12/2011 at 13:26:00

I think Moyes still rated Yak (and Yobo) but just fell out with them and so got rid.

I remember Yak actually starting rubbish for us - he scored on debut then looked rubbish because he wasn't match fit. Because of his size he needs games, but with games he guarantees goals.

People criticizing him for being lazy and then saying this is why Moyes sold him make me laugh. He was always lazy, even when scoring shit loads of goals for us. I understand if people say, moyes was unsure because of his injury if he would get match fit, but lazy - he's been lazy for 10 years !
Peter Warren
63   Posted 05/12/2011 at 13:31:34

Jimmy 22# - bloody hell your comment irritates me. Our defeat at City was absolutely shocking and embarassing. We crapped ourselves from the start - the tactics employed were cowardly and it was an insult to most supporters and our travelling support.

If you believe we should go against Man City in that manner, then up to you but no way it justifies it to me. Also, Man City are not Barcelona or Brazil and we lost 2-0 not 2-1
Michael Brien
64   Posted 05/12/2011 at 14:26:32

So Yak is lazy? - well in the close season just an hour or so after his wife gave birth he travelled down to join up with the squad for the friendly at Birmingham. That doesn't suggest a lack of commitment to the cause.

As regards his scoring ratio in his last year or so at Everton - well how many has Tim Cahill scored in the last year ? Yet Moyes has persisted with him.
Mark Greenhouse
65   Posted 05/12/2011 at 14:40:34

Maybe Moyes and the board decided that £1m+ was good business for a player turning 34 during the season. You don't believe it? Try this website: http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/isra01squads.html and scroll down to Maccabi Haifa. You'll find him, date of birth 6/12/1977.

Happy Birthday for tomorrow, Yak.
Anthony Millington
66   Posted 05/12/2011 at 15:18:38

Someone please answer why Moyes kept Anichebe and Saha and sold Yakubu?! Everyone knows that these two are crocks. Yak isn't great but he'll get you goals, stay fit (most of the time) and can hold the ball up and is suited to our one upfront system!

Oh sorry did Moyes have a little fall out with him? Oh well, Moyes comes first then, we can't upset Moyes. Afterall, Moyes is the messiah and he knows best... (Not!) Obviously, the 2 crocks, a 19 year old Greek and Denis will score more goals than Yak to keep us up will they Moyes?! Sign Yakubu for £11M and sell him for £1M? And Moyes says he's had no money to spend! Because he's sold him for £1 million ? that's why!
Eugene Ruane
67   Posted 05/12/2011 at 15:47:04

This thing of Moyes 'fell out with" annoys/depresses me. It's like we're talking about 4th form at St Bunty's or the X-Factor. The only manager who can presently AFFORD to fall out with his players is Mancini (and possibly thingy Boas-Trousers). As frustrating as it might be, the rest have to keep on the right side of the player.

Yes, that DOES sound mad, but in football, 'boss' today doesn't mean what boss used to mean. The reality is, today you fall out with a player and you have £60 grand a week sitting on the bench with a sour puss, or playing for the reserves. Whatever Moyes thought of Yakubu's 'attitude' etc, he should have worked it out, placated him and had him playing/performing.

Fat, lazy, doesn't give a fuck etc? Maybe but he was the only player we had who knew where the net was and after the Liverpool game, should have been played. Instead he was dropped and sold. Anyone who thinks this was good business, in my opinion, knows fuck-all about fuck all.
Andrew Ellams
68   Posted 05/12/2011 at 16:14:08

Eugene, Sir Alex has fallen out with several players over the years, Stam, Ince and Beckham being 3 examples. If your face doesn't fit there, you're gone and it doesn't matter who you are.
Dave Wilson
69   Posted 05/12/2011 at 15:54:12

The Yak is a wondeful talent, but when it comes to desire and will to win, he's no Wayne Rooney.

My abiding memory of the last World Cup is The Yak smiling and waving as he left the pitch, he'd missed one of the worst sitters in the histoy of the tournament ? breaking Nigerian hearts ? but it clearly didn't hurt enough.

The Yak's seven goals against Wigan, Arsenal and Swansea prove that on his day he is a top marksman... but it's those sitters he missed in the other games that have made victories so elusive for Blackburn.

Four goals on Saturday shouldn't surprise us really, he has always been capable, but it's the all too frequent no shows, the missed chances and the shrug of his shoulders when he misses that will cost his manager his job and Blackburn their Premier League status.

Anthony

I`ll answer your question: To sell a player, you need a buyer... and nobody bid for the "two crocks".

I may be wrong but I believe Jagielka is the only person Everton have received a concrete bid for who's actually still here. They're all for sale ? regardless of what Moyes says.

Blackburn were the only people prepared to pay £1.5M for Yakubu ? even Leicester turned their noses up and they'd had a first hand look at him.

No doubt the Yak will score more, but it's the number of times Blackburn will carry him that will cost them.

Feed the Yak and ? provided he feels in the mood ? he will score.
Domino Darkley
70   Posted 05/12/2011 at 16:50:27

The difference is Ferguson could afford to chase those guys out at that time. We don't have that luxury.

United are different now....witness hoe Ferguson made his peace with Rooney last year because he couldn't afford to let him go.
Tony J Williams
71   Posted 05/12/2011 at 17:00:33

I am with Eugene and Domino on this one. We can't afford to bring personal feelings into the business that is football.

It's ok if you know you can buy someone to replace them, but the board is giving him diddly so man up, give him a hug, get pissed together and get on with the job. Bygones....
Eugene Ruane
72   Posted 05/12/2011 at 16:41:54

Andrew Ellams (68) - You're comparing anything at Everton with...UNITED!?

You enlighten us with "If your face doesn't fit there, you're gone and it doesn't matter who you are".

And...what's your point?

Firstly, it's not faces that don't fit, it's PEOPLE and there's always a reason why.

My (fairly clear) point was, if you're in OUR position (ie: fucking skint), a big part of the manager's job must be to make sure nobody feels "my face doesn't fit" (nb: particularly anyone capable of finding the back of a net).

You REALLY don't see the difference?

Fine - I'll explain (never let it be said..etc)

When those, who's faces 'didn't fit' at Utd, were given the heave-ho, there WASN'T a huge void left.

And why?

Because Sir Alex red grid either they had a replacement lined up, or (nb: BECAUSE HE HAD THE MONEY!) he immediately bought one.

Same situation at Everton?

With Yakubu?

No replacement lined up, no money to buy a replacement, result = home defeats and no goals against shit-house teams like Stoke.

See the difference?

Moyes to me sounds more and more like a big, soft, whining tart and having 'fall-outs' with players, then getting rid of them, makes him look like one.
Stephen Kenny
73   Posted 05/12/2011 at 17:48:46

Alex Ferguson always, always does what's best for Man Utd regardless of his personal feelings, you only have to look at the Rooney situation.

Moyes does not.
Domino Darkley
74   Posted 05/12/2011 at 19:30:19

In one, Stephen.
Ian Tunstead
75   Posted 05/12/2011 at 19:43:30

What about Beckham, Van Nistleroy and Stam? I know, lets sack Moyes and see if Ferguson wants to take over...

Moyes would have left along time ago if he didnt put the club first.
Dick Fearon
76   Posted 05/12/2011 at 20:28:44

It is 4am here in Oz and I am about to watch the RS on the box away to Fulham. I fully expect to see every one of those bastards from fullbacks to forwards firing in shots on target from all angles and wonder why is it that our lot find it to be so bloody difficult.
Ian Tunstead
77   Posted 05/12/2011 at 20:35:47

Because they have a £50m strike force, ours cost £200k.
Stephen Kenny
78   Posted 05/12/2011 at 20:49:03

Ian,

They got a fortune for Beckham, who was disrupting the whole team with the media circus that comes with him. They also had a decent player lined up to replace him.

Van Nistelrooy was an ageing player who was replaceable and Stam failed a drug test within a year of leaving.

Every single player you mention was sold for a good fee.

Moyes wouldn't have signed his new deal and took the money if he put the club first!
Stephen Kenny
79   Posted 05/12/2011 at 20:57:03

Dave,

That's a load of shite and you know it.

Yak's well on his way to 20, but because he didn't score 40 or has a few bad games it's his fault if they go down?

Believe me, if they stay up, a large part of that will be because of Yak's goals.
Ian Tunstead
80   Posted 05/12/2011 at 20:59:56

Stephen, it may not be on the same level but there is a media circus following Ronaldo and Rooney. That is a lame excuse. The media circus is a good thing it draws in media and fans and sells shirts making millions. Beckham didnt do Madrid any harm by this media circus. Fergie fell out with him having kicked a boot at his head.

Also there was no way Fergie knew how good Ronaldo was going to be at the time of selling Beckham. I dont even think they had a replacement lined up at that stage but either way Ronaldo was a bit of a joke in his first couple of seasons.

You say "Van Nistelrooy was an ageing player who was replaceable" Arteta and Yakubu were ageing players, and it still early days, who knows maybe Rodwell or Barkley can step up and replace him in the near future. It took time before Ronaldo contributed the goals Nistleroy could. Either way Arteta wanted out to plat CL football.

"Only Stam leaving affected thier side and Ferguson has admitted it was a mistake."

At least you now admit he makes mistakes, maybe Moyes will admit he made a mistake at the end of this season. I'm sure we have all made mistakes but like with Beckham maybe Yakubu was disrupting the team, he certainly wasnt playing to the standards he was capable of and Moyes made the decision to get shut Just like Fergie with Beckham and Stam.

Stephen Kenny
81   Posted 05/12/2011 at 21:22:07

"It may not be on the same level but there is a media circus following Ronaldo and Rooney".

True and once it starts to affect the rest of his side you can guarantee Rooney will be shipped out.

"there was no way Fergie knew how good Ronaldo was going to be at the time of selling Beckham."

He paid £12m for him aged 18, I think he may have had an idea?

"Arteta and Yakubu were ageing players, and it still early days, who knows maybe Rodwell or Barkley can step up and replace him in the near future."

Neither Rodwell or Barkley play up front. Moyes feud with the Yak has left us woefully short up front, do you agree? Also maybe one of those two can replace Arteta but it's a big ask. Do you believe either have done so at this point? Bear in mind the mishandling of the Pienaar situation has also left us short creatively.

"Every single player you mention was sold for a good fee." It's much easier to sell your players for a good fee when a player plays for Man Utd being advertised and hyped by the Champions League and media constantly."

Nowhere did I ever say Ferguson doesn't make mistakes, everybody does. What I said was Ferguson always acts in the best interest of his club, Moyes does not. You haven't even tried to counter that.
Ian Tunstead
82   Posted 05/12/2011 at 21:49:47

Stephen ? Was Beckham really affecting the rest of the team or was that just an excuse? I thought after the prostitute allegations Rooney was affecting the side by his poor performances, what did Fergie do? No he didnt ship him out like you said he would he gave him a pay rise. Yes Rooney's performances improved but so did Beckhams at Madrid, who's to say the same thing wouldn't have happened if he stayed at Utd?

Had Fergie even signed Ronaldo at the time of selling Beckham? I might be wrong but i don't even think Ronaldo was in his sights at that stage. Also Fergie has spent tens of millions on a few teenagers like Anderson and Nani did Fergie think they were going to be great like Ronaldo because it hasn't quite turned out that way.

"Moyes feud with the Yak has left us woefully short up front, do you agree?"

Not really if you consider the contribution Yakubu was making. Lets no forget he always makes a good start at a new club either.

"Also maybe one of those two can replace Arteta but it's a big ask. Do you believe either have done so at this point? " Considering Arteta's performances it wasn't such a big ask. Neither have at this point but i believe Barkley has showed enough to suggest over the coming seasons he can fill Arteta shoes and Rodwell is good enough to fill the gap for the time being. He has also took some big steps recently such as gaining a couple of England caps which perhaps would not have happened if Arteta was still at the club.

"It's easier again if you don't ruin their reputation for 18 months before you get rid."
What about the reputations who have grown under Moyes like Pienaar, Baines, Lescott Jaggs etc. What about the reputations Fergie has ruined like Forlan, Kleberson Veron etc?

Finally of course Moyes has tried to act in the best interests of the club in the same way Fergie has, but both have made mistakes which sometimes prevents that, but there is no way they have knowingly not acted in the best interests of the club. Moyes felt he was making the right decision selling under-performing ageing players like Arteta and Yakubu, with hindsight, maybe he didn't. But I don't believe Yakubu's performances would have improved. I think Arteta was showing signs of improvement and glimpses of his old self but he wanted out so there is no point in keeping a player that does not want to be there.
Stephen Kenny
83   Posted 05/12/2011 at 22:18:26

Ian, how do you think Yakubu could have improved his performances sitting on the bench?
Dick Fearon
84   Posted 05/12/2011 at 22:05:52

It is now 6am here in Oz and the RS game that has just ended had a total of 23 shots at goal, 15 of which were on target, with both sides having a fair share.

I refuse to accept that because X players cost X amount was the main factor in what, even to this slightly impartial viewer, was an exciting end-to-end spectacle. What made it such a good game and compelling viewing was the positive attitude of both teams and probably influenced by their managers. That had little to do with how much this or that player cost.

Compare that approach with Deadly Dave's defensive negativity and it becomes obvious of the depths to which we have sunk. Should Moyes and his accolytes study a recording of the game at Fulham, they might, just might, get an inkling of what is expected by the people that pay their exorbitant wages.
Ian Tunstead
85   Posted 06/12/2011 at 01:00:18

Stephen, he was given plenty of chances but made it clear he couldn't be arsed, something has probably gone on behind the scenes which made it neccessary for the Yak to be sold.
Nick Entwistle
86   Posted 06/12/2011 at 01:10:08

Dave Wilson... When Yak missed the sitter in the World Cup, didn't he or Nigeria score a couple of minutes later?
Ian Tunstead
87   Posted 06/12/2011 at 01:08:16

Dick, I don't think Moyes can be held completely responsible for the performance against Stoke. Everton did try to put a few passes together to begin with and get crosses in which was clearly a bad idea as we were playing to Stokes strengths but at least there was some effort. It was Stoke who were the anti-football whose whole game plan was to prevent football from happening: foul after foul... hoof after hoof.

As Pulis said, "it was a Stoke classic". He had no intention of playing football. Everton had intent but no cutting edge no creativity, no goal scoring talent ? all because.... you guessed it ? our creative goalscoring players had to be sold and we went out bought from a car-boot sale.
Ciaran Duff
88   Posted 06/12/2011 at 06:20:47

Hey guys,
I did suggest this song a while ago (to the tune of Where's Your Mamma Gone) slightly updated:-

Where's Yakabu gone (where's Yakubu Gone)
Where's Yakabu gone (where's Yakubu Gone)
He's not far away,
He got 4 today

Where's Yakabu gone (where's Yakubu Gone)
etc etc
Tony J Williams
89   Posted 06/12/2011 at 09:14:31

"Compare that approach with Deadly Dave's defensive negativity and it becomes obvious of the depths to which we have sunk. Should Moyes and his accolytes study a recording of the game at Fulham, they might, just might, get an inkling of what is expected by the people that pay their exorbitant wages" - How many more points did Dour Dave take away from Fulham compared to the wonderfully exciting redshite? 3 I think?

Sometime,s slowly slowly, catchy monkey does have a benefit......not often but sometimes it does. it's all well and good extolling the wonderful free flowing footy but at the end of the day Kenny came away with zilch and we obtained maximum points.
Anthony Millington
90   Posted 06/12/2011 at 10:07:33

Dave, why did Moyes give 2 crocks new contracts then? The wages we give to these 2 for sitting there doing next to nothing could have been used to bring in someone who is actually there and available when called upon or to keep Yakubu. I don't actually think Yak is that good, but it tells you about the dephs we've sunk that I'd rather have him than Saha and Anichebe (both a complete waste).
Anthony Millington
91   Posted 06/12/2011 at 10:10:40

Not to mention Mcfadden!
Tony J Williams
92   Posted 06/12/2011 at 10:15:03

I have a theory that Vic has some compromising photos of Moyes, as that is the only logical explanation as to why the lad is still employed by Everton.
Andy Burke
93   Posted 06/12/2011 at 10:25:12

I have always been a Moyes supporter.

However, the fact that he practically gave Yakubu away is the last straw for me. It proves that he is far too stubborn egotistical. He has let his own ego get in the way of what is good for EFC and made one big horror of a balls up as a result of it. In my mind, the Yak is still a very good striker and has proven it this season. It's no fluke that he has scored 9 goals already this season.

In Moyes we trust - Bollocks.
Dave Wilson
94   Posted 06/12/2011 at 10:16:03

Anthony.

We took the money for the two we had bids for. If we allow the two "crocks" as you call them, to run down their contracts too, they can walk for nothing and we have no-one at all.

Nick #86

You are correct, the Yak did put away a late penalty against the Koreans, but by then they had taken the lead and a draw was no use to Nigeria.

Stephen

If the Yak scores 20 and Blackburn still go down, then he can't possibly be held responsible. I don't think he will and although Moyes (the banks) took the money for Yakubu, he wasn't alone in his opinion; several Championship teams didn't fancy taking a punt and out of the 20 teams in the Prem, only Blackburn were prepared to pay a miserly £1.5M for him.

Time will tell who was right: Moyes or Kean... but, much as I like The Yak, I expect to see Blackburn back in the Championship in May.
Chris Thornton
95   Posted 06/12/2011 at 11:00:52

Did Moyes fall out with Yakubu? is there any evidence? A lot of people on here seem to just assume it to be true. I have no idea what the real reasons behind the sale were, and perhaps there was a falling out, but I think it's more likely that Moyes simply decided that Yakubu was never going to be the same player after his injury and, given the financial situation and that Everton had to sell players and reduce the wage bill, decided he should be sacrificed. The fact that the West Ham bid the year before was turned down suggests that Moyes, at that time, still believed Yakubu could make a full recovery. I'm not convinced he would have been sold if Moyes believed in his fitness - but who knows what really happened?
Tony J Williams
96   Posted 06/12/2011 at 11:18:50

Andy, I would have agreed with you fully but for the fact, it takes two to tango.

The lad wasn't arsed when he played. he did his baby step run every now and again and didn't give a toss about the games.

He was unfit and awful for over half a season so yes it would have been nice if they could have made it up with eeach other but you have one big ego in the manager and one big ego with Yakubu (the Yobo treatment obviously never helped either) but there seemed to be no way back so you either leave him on the bench or in the reserves paying his hefty wage or you take the first offer someone stumps up.

Hindsight, we should have taken West Ham's first offer but they were just taking the piss. They probably found out his real age and that why teh second offer was lower
Eugene Ruane
97   Posted 06/12/2011 at 11:48:32

Tony (95), you say - "The lad wasn't arsed when he played. he did his baby step run every now and again and didn't give a toss about the games".

I don't dispute this, but feel that for the money Moyes is on, it is his responsibility to make sure his players ARE arsed.

If this means biting his tongue or mollycoddling or 'bigging them up' (whatever that is) then that is what he should do and should have done.

None of us know exactly what did go on, but what is clear is that Moyes wasn't capable of this and let his presbyterian/methodist sense of right and wrong get in the way.

A finely tuned sense of right and wrong is of course a fine attribute to have in most walks of life, but when dealing with overpaid, over-sensitive PL footballers, it (sadly) has to be put to one side.

Domino Darkley
98   Posted 06/12/2011 at 12:30:05

"Moyes would have left along time ago if he didnt put the club first"

=============

Oh yes......he was putting the club "first" when he dithered for six or seven months before penning a new contract.

And when he did, it was for £3 million a year.

To put that in context, MON is being paid £2 milion at Sunderland and he has achieved much more in the game both as a player and a manager and has a far higher standing in the managerial hierarchy than Moyes.

Stand up for Moyes if you must, Ian, but please lay off the silly stuff like he puts the club's interests before his own.
Stephen Kenny
99   Posted 06/12/2011 at 12:40:27

Tony,

He was MOTM against the shite, scored against Stoke, set up Cahill for a goal against Blackpool then never got a look in. Really, what more could he have done?

He was shipped off to Leicester and scored 11 in 20.

I don't think anybody would give it a decent go after the manager had made it clear no matter what you do you wont get a look in.
Noel Lynam
100   Posted 06/12/2011 at 13:12:21

Eugene,

You say "Results/goals are everything and it appears (to me) Moyes put his own feelings before that of the good of the club."

I think Moyes felt that taking in the transfer fee and ridding the club of Yakubu's wages WERE for the good of the club.

I also think he gambled on Cahill coming up with goals to fill the void. A gamble which is looking more and more ill advised with each passing game.

While we've no proof either way, I also cannot help think there's no smoke without fire when it comes to Moyes falling out with the Yak. Stories at the time suggested the Yak was none too pleased with how Yobo was treated in the summer of 2010. Plus I feel Moyes' "He's 25 but he's a Nigerian 25" (or whatever it was) comment probably didn't endear him to the Yak.

Eugene Ruane
101   Posted 06/12/2011 at 15:55:16

Noel Lynam (100) - you say..

"Incidentally, remember the "results/goals are everything" bit the next time style of play is called into question".

Er...why?

Why do we have to wait until we've picked up a few points to discuss it?

At the moment we're playing shit football that doesn't get results.

More valid imo to discuss it now.
Tony J Williams
102   Posted 06/12/2011 at 16:32:02

"To put that in context, MON is being paid £2 milion at Sunderland and he has achieved much more in the game both as a player and a manager and has a far higher standing in the managerial hierarchy than Moyes" - How many times has he finished above Moyes in the Premier League?. We apparently can't use past histories on here though.

Has he been at the club for the last 5 years and we didn't know about it? Moyes did his stint, got us "challenging" for the European places after over a decade of shite, so I can see where he had the leverage for a good pay increase. Add to that Kenwrong wanted him to stay. Are you suggesting that he should have taken a lesser wage to placate the fans?
Tony J Williams
103   Posted 06/12/2011 at 16:42:32

Also, would you turn down a twatting big salary increase? I know I wouldn't
Phil Martin
104   Posted 06/12/2011 at 17:21:49

Hang on ladies...

Is it worth mentioning that Yak is unpopular with all his past clubs largely because of his attitude problems?

Is it also fair to say that players and managers fall out from time to time? And also that Yak is possibly prone to spitting his dummy, looking totally disinterested, and being a bit of a twat (from time to time)?

So are we saying Moyes should've overlooked his attitude (which may be different during training and outside of match day) and made Yak an exception to the rest of the team? i.e. pick him no matter how he conducts himself away from Goodison.

Because clearly no manager would sell their best striker unless there was more to the situation and as 99% of us merely speculate. It's easy to throw mud at Moyes when Yak is doing well at another struggling club.

I remember Fergie binning off Jaap Stam ? Utd's best defender at the time ? over a fallout. Now no-one would question Fergie's authority or that he was wrong to excercise the "no player is more important then the club" rule.

But clearly the difference is Fergie gets funds to replace players. Moyes gets a Billy Bullshit "IOU" note.
Noel Lynam
105   Posted 06/12/2011 at 17:34:09

Eugene,

"Why do we have to wait until we've picked up a few points to discuss it?"

I never said anyone had to wait until we picked up a few points to discuss it. But then you already know that.

The (fairly clear) point is that if you're saying that "results / goals are everything" (which you did say) then you're effectively saying that style of play is unimportant, and you should be consistent in this view next time style of play is called into question.

But if you want to discuss style of play now, my view is that our football is uninspiring, predictable, inimaginitive and all too easy to defend against.
Noel Lynam
106   Posted 06/12/2011 at 17:46:28

Phil,

"And also that Yak is possibly prone to spitting his dummy, looking totally disinterested, and being a bit of a twat (from time to time)?"

The very same could and has been said about Moyes. It takes two to tango and Moyes has history of falling out with players.

As for being unpopular with previous clubs after leaving, that's true for most footballers.
Jeremy Benson
107   Posted 06/12/2011 at 17:52:52

I've seen the last few games he has played and the thing that struck me the most - was that he's actually lost a bit of weight again and looked fit, better than I've seen him for a long time.

Maybe - just maybe - Yak's form is all linked to his fitness, and if you can manage and keep him trim.

Maybe we didn't try hard enough, or maybe other clubs have better fitness regimes.

However, I don't think yak fits the moyes profile - yak is an out and out striker, he won't contribute a huge amount when he doesn't have the ball. Personally, I think you need two strikers in a team; one who works his socks off, and one goal-poaching fox who doesnt do much but constantly be in the right position. We have a tendency to play only 1 up front, nor like strikers who don't do much other than score goals. A pity.

Whatever the reason - the fact of the matter is that he is scoring, and we need a scorer...
Paul Olsen
108   Posted 06/12/2011 at 17:55:43

#96 Saha has also been unfit and mostly awful for 2 seasons now. He has even publicly critizised team selections on twitter. His track record before this was also lesser than Yakubu´s.

He´s still here and why?
Kase Chow
109   Posted 07/12/2011 at 00:07:47

We should have kept Yak, our most natural goalscorer for years.

He was playing well just before we loaned him to Leicester (fking stupid decision) and will get goals for B'burn

I'm so bored with out 'style' of play that cheering a few of Yak's goals for us would have been fun

Hate to say it but am slowly going off Moyes
Domino Darkley
110   Posted 07/12/2011 at 01:03:50

"Moyes did his stint, got us "challenging" for the European places after over a decade of shite"

=========

What "decade of shite" was there prior to Moyes's arrival?

We had our downs for sure but I seem to recall us winning the F.A, Cup and playing in the Cup Winners Cup six and a bit years before he came....and the team missing out on Europe through a league position on the last day the season after (Arsenal pipped us on goall difference froim memory).

So we were not only "challenging for Europe" in the decade before he arrived, we actually made Europe by dint of winning sommat.

The problem with the Moyes and the no one else but Moyes brigade is that you have forgotten EFC existed long before he ever came to Goodison and the club will be around for a long time after he eventually goes.

Blind loyalty to the man is one thing, but if you are going to berate everyone who comes on here (as they are in increasing numbers) pointing out Moyes's shortcomings then make sure you have your facts straight.

Eugene Ruane
111   Posted 07/12/2011 at 08:54:44

Noel (105) - You say..

"I never said anyone had to wait until we picked up a few points to discuss it. But then you already know that".

Yes you did, you said it...'effectively'

(I'm employing your use of effectively)

See: "..then you're effectively saying that style of play is unimportant".

Tony J Williams
112   Posted 07/12/2011 at 12:24:19

The decade of shite Domino was finishing, 13th, 17th, 15th, 6th (Great Year) 15th, 17th, 14th, 13th and 16th. That decade of shite, One fantstic bit of a shinning light amongst relegation battles.

Compared with 15th (Joined in March) 7th, 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th.

Not a great statistic but a hell of a lot better than the 10 years before (obviously excluding the Cup win).

So the point I made, no matter how you argue it, was that he had us challenging for Europe since he came.

One final point: I am not a "no-one else but Moyes" person at all, but I do argue against points that are not correct about him. The same with players, I will argue a point if I think it is incorrect. (I may be wrong, I have been many times and will continue to be so too, but I will still argue my point.)
Noel Lynam
113   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:19:13

"Incidentally, remember the "results/goals are everything" bit the next time style of play is called into question."

So to you, Eugene, that "effectively" means we "have to wait until we've picked up a few points to discuss it"?

That's an admirable, but not very effective, attempt to distract from my original point. Which has already been explained to you.
Eugene Ruane
114   Posted 07/12/2011 at 16:08:00

Noel (113) - Effectively it was perfectly effective.

Goose, gander, etc.
Kase Chow
115   Posted 07/12/2011 at 00:07:47

We should have kept Yak, our most natural goalscorer for years.

He was playing well just before we loaned him to Leicester (fucking stupid decision) and will get goals for Blackburn.

I'm so bored with our 'style' of play that cheering a few of Yak's goals for us would have been fun.

Fact is we don't have an effective replacement so it was ludicrous to let him go.

Hate to say it but am slowly going off Moyes.