Season 2011-12

Transfer Window

65 Comments: First  |  Last

In a few weeks, the usual miserable time for Blues will be upon us. We will have a month of speculation & outright lies.

I can hear the shouts of "Where has all the Arteta money gone?" We all know we are looking for a centre-forward, I won't even start with naming any names, it only adds to the pain.

The question is, when was the last time we signed a player who you thought was going to turn our fortunes around?

You know, one of those names who you couldn't wait to phone your mate and say "You'll never guess who we have just signed?"

Personally, the last player who made me think we were a big club was Gary Lineker, then we sold him after one season.

Kevin Tully, Liverpool     Posted 07/12/2011 at 11:39:21

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Trevor Thompson
1   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:08:18

Mo Johnston - I was young(ish)
Jimmy Sørheim
2   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:10:35

Good one. I honestly think our re-signing of Duncan Ferguson from Newcastle was the last time I was exited by a new striker coming in.

Kevin Campell was playing at Besiktas and a former Besiktas friend of mine was saying that he thought Kevin was a great striker, and he did well enough, but the best I have seen since Duncan is Yakubu, and always will be, his smile on his face after scoring reminds me of the cartoon movie with that green Ork and the Donkey, Eddie Murphy.

His smile after scoring is something I miss dearly, simple joys of life. I watched the second half of the Blackburn game and I have to say Yakubu should never have left for next to nothing.

We can all thank Moyes for losing £10M there, plus losing another £10M on Bily and perhaps up to £15M on Felli. I can't remember the last time Moyes signed a player I thought was quality.
Sam Hoare
3   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:12:37

One things for sure. No marquee signings, whatever that means anyway.

But i do think there are some good championship players with contracts running down. The likes of Maynard, Clyne and Butterfield. This is where Moyes had had joy in the past and i suspect where we will be best of looking in January and then the Summer.
Ben Howard
4   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:20:36

I remember getting very excited in 2005 by the signing of Andy van der Meyde. Shows how much I know...

To be fair, we were all a bit giddy then.
Steve Guy
5   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:17:06

Turning our fortunes round ? Not Lineker. At that time we were a great team at the top of the Division and frightened of no one beaten to the Chamions spot by the Darkside. So don't see it; unless you mean you thought he would kick us on into European Cup ? But we the aforementioned RS did for us there too.

My own view in more recent times was Landon Donovan. I honestly believe that if he had signed permanently he would have made a push for CL a realistic goal (at that time). Not to be, but he made a real impact.
Sam Hoare
6   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:20:55

Jimmy...how on earth has Moyes lost 10m on Billy or 15m on Felli. He hasn't sold them yet? If he did i suspect their combined value would result in a profit.

Your rantings get more and more asinine.
Noel Lynam
7   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:26:47

Off the top of my head...

Andrej Kanchelskis, Gary Speed, Nick Barmby (!), Andy Johnson, Yakubu and to a lesser extent Andy van der Meyde and Royston Drenthe.
Ste Traverse
8   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:28:00

The signing of Gary Lineker eh? Remember it well.

I think it's often forgot he spurned interest from Man Utd and Liverpool to come to Everton.

I think those who have criticised him over the years should remember that before putting forward phoneys like Ian Snodin as a 'Blues legend' on the basis he turned down our beloved neighbours.
Lee Smith
9   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:37:17

I (quite foolishly) got much more excited when we signed Gazza than I perhaps should!!! I really thought he was going to be awesome for us. Ho hum....
Chris Rudd
10   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:36:46

Will someone please explain to me how, with just 24 days until the window creaks open, Moyes doesn't know how much, if anything, he'll have to spend on transfers FFS!

Planning, even at the most basic level, is a foreign country to this club and it appears we haven't got a passport (never mind a pot to piss in).

To answer the original question I was excited and slightly disbelieving when I heard that Mr Drenthe was on his way to Goodison. Before that...Big Dunc coming home.
Paul Knox
11   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:36:46

No-one has mentioned Bernie "the bolt" Wright (maybe we will buy a Tamworth striker... not far from Walsall) and Bret Angell!

Who was the worst manager before Moyes? Mike Walker springs to mind, he did as well as Moyes. Won nothing.
Nick Entwistle
12   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:48:47

Arteta... was excited from the off even though I had never seen him play.

I remember being excited on ceefax reports that we signed Beagrie. Thinking we'd signed some foreign trickster, imagine my disappointment that he came from Stoke City.
Danny Broderick
13   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:49:11

I think there have been a few since Gary Lineker kevin!
Off the top of my head:

Tony Cottee
Kanchelskis
Big Dunc
Gary Speed
Nick Barmby
James Beattie
Andy Johnson
Yakubu

I realise that not all of these have succeeded at Everton, but when they were bought I thought they would be cracking signings for us.
Robert Moore
14   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:54:20

Amokachi, after seeing him in the World Cup.

And I got excited when we were signing Bily ... I'm blaming that on YouTube.
Trevor Thompson
15   Posted 07/12/2011 at 13:56:33

Beginning to remember some others: Andrei Kanchelskis, Andy Johnson, Andy Van Der Meyde, James Beattie, Nick Barmby and Bakayoko; except for Andrei and to a lesser extend Barmby they all proved to be crap.
Andy Darron
16   Posted 07/12/2011 at 14:02:06

The Scottish Rooney - James Mc Fadden - both times!
Kevin Tully
17   Posted 07/12/2011 at 14:01:50

Danny #13,

I was thinking more along the lines of "big names in world football," not run of the mill Premier League players!
Mike Rourke
18   Posted 07/12/2011 at 14:10:18

The ones that felt MASSIVE in my time were Amo and Kanchelskis.

More recently Drenthe and Heitinga - I dunno, probably psychological, but it's something about 'Dutch masters' or whatever that makes me feel like EFC should be privileged to have signed them. ( maybe it shows how far we have fallen )
Ged Simpson
19   Posted 07/12/2011 at 14:08:01

Kevin

We are not - and not sure we ever have been - a big name in world football. We have been big in England from time to time and have a long history but have never been big in world terms.

We sing "If you know your history" , not "if you know your fantasy"

Hence - we don't get such players.

Just reality as it is.
Mike Rourke
20   Posted 07/12/2011 at 14:14:32

Oh yeah, and when I saw that Riquelme story on the OS...well...WOW!
Jimmy Sørheim
21   Posted 07/12/2011 at 14:17:41

Fellaini and Bily as with Heitinga was players with average quality who cost us a lot of money, and now Felli is on 70.000 a week contract. How screwed are we. The sale of Bily will be like with Yak, Moyes will be happy to get him off the books, maximum 2 million. Heitinga would go around 4 million and Felli is just a over-rated over-paid player that nobody wants, at least not for 15 million.
Soin truth our players that are for sale are worth next to nothing, compare to what we bought them for and there will be a huge loss, add to the fact that we have spent 11.25 on Yakubu and only got just over 1 million, that is minus 10 million already. Factor in Bily a loss of around 7-8 million, after a sale of 2-3 million we have lost 17-18 million on two players only. I feel optimistic in getting 2 million for Bily at this time so we are not going to have a NICE transfer window.
It will be more of the same, perhaps Straq will go back to Argen. and we will bring in Macheda or Owen on loan, things still look bleak. Very much so.
Peter Fearon
22   Posted 07/12/2011 at 14:32:08

I'm excited just about every time we sign a new player or bring a new player in from the youth set-up. I always think whoever it is is the next Lionel Messi. Yes, I know that's stupid. I was excited when he signed Drenthe and Denis Stracqualursi. I hope he enjoys his year off. The exceptions were the superannuated has beens that Walter Smith used to bring in for one last lucrative season at our expense and of course, Steve McFadden this last time. Moyes is making me cynical. On his record, anyone we sign in January wouldn't play until April.
Chris Rudd
23   Posted 07/12/2011 at 14:51:56

What Peter? We've signed one of the Mitchell brothers? I hope he's better than his Scottish cousin, James - he's shite.
Jay Harris
24   Posted 07/12/2011 at 15:03:03

Kevin,
the real worry is Moyes not knowing if he's got any money or not!!

The transfer window opens in a couple of weeks and we are desperate for new faces ASAP.

The lack of planning and management at EFC beggars belief.

Even Tranmere are more organised.
Jeremy Benson
25   Posted 07/12/2011 at 16:09:01

Not sure why there is concern.

I would imagine that transfer funds are dependant on the financial situation at the time during the window. This can be affected by any or all of the following up to the last minute:

- attendances
- contract re-signs for existing players
- selling players
- any additional funds raised/loaned

I don't think that anyone with a modicum of financial nous would expect

a) a hard figure to be pencilled in until the last moment
b) that figure to be widely discussed, which can only be a weakness in negotiations, and as a private company, simply shouldn't be in the public domain anyway.

I would be very surprised if any other premiership club acts differently. Managers make player requests, the board says whether it can, or can't be achieved. They wont get given an exact figure of a pot of cash to spend as they like.
Colin Wainwright
26   Posted 07/12/2011 at 16:18:58

Have you been away for a few years Jeremy?
Eugene Ruane
27   Posted 07/12/2011 at 16:16:16

After Rooney, I no longer get excited about anyone in the youth set up.

My thinking now is if they're half-way decent, they're going.

Kevin I still phone mates and say - ""You'll never guess who we have just signed"

But...not in a good way.
Jeremy Benson
28   Posted 07/12/2011 at 16:27:21

No colin, I haven't.

If you think that Man city go to mancini and say, you have £46.2 million to spend this coming transfer window, then you are sadly deluded.

Businesses don't work that way - and rich club owners have got to where they are by being savvy businessmen. They don't throw their money away, nor do they hamper themselves.

They may give a general indication of cash they are prepared to invest; ie, "we want you to improve the squad and sign players who will give us a realistic chance of winning the league, and we expect you need 2 or 3...." or some-such. But I guarantee that every player that is requested goes to the board for approval, and the fee's involved and whether it's do-able is worked out by the board and NOT the managers.

You don't just get given money. You ask for it, and it may be granted. Thus, does every business work...
Tony J Williams
29   Posted 07/12/2011 at 16:30:53

I can't believe that no-one was excited about Segundo Castillo and his one size too small shorts.....!!!

The last signing I was excited about was Arteta, I remember him having a stormer against Vila and wishing he would sign that day. As usual with Everton's business bods, they nearly screwed that up too.
Sam Hoare
30   Posted 07/12/2011 at 16:57:09

I bet people were excited about signing Billy. I was. I remember thinking £9m for a russian winger, i bet he's quick as you like and will terrorise defenses down the left.

Didn't quite work out that way.
John Keating
31   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:15:54

Alex Young
Alan Ball
Ray Wilson
Adam Carey
32   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:14:21

Showing my age here but it would be Tony Cottee, (always played as him in kickabouts with my mates), and then Big Dunc. Both looked top strikers when we signed them and I couldn't wait to see their first game for us.
Sadly, with our new signings these days it's a bit like taking a look at a shunt between 2 cars on the opposite side of the motorway. You have to look but aren't that fussed eitherway...
Michael Brien
33   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:19:45

I am afraid I don't get too excited about any strikers that we are linked with anymore - something to do with playing a lone striker all the time!!!
Chris Keightley
34   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:18:06

I was very excited about Andy Johnson, he was the right age, good pace, and scored a good few for Palace... plus I went to his school. He started well then spent most of his time in the channels. I felt sorry for him; I really wanted his signing to work out!

Prior to that, without doubt, Kanchelskis ? great old-fashioned winger! My Grandad loved him. Come to think of it, Johnson, Kanchelskis, Lineker, Beardsley... plus Big Dunc's return.

Most recently...? Drenthe.
Louis Huglin
35   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:37:21

Earl Barrett.
James Stewart
36   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:37:09

I was pleased when I heard drenthe was joining although surprised it was a loan as I knew he was quality. Apart from that I would have to go back to Yakubu or Andy Johnson.
Lee Courtliff
37   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:39:08

The signing of Andrei Kanchelskis was one of the most exciting moments in my 'Everton Career'.

We had just won the Cup,we had just beaten the Shite,Man Utd and Newcastle the previous season,we had Big Dunc(who we all knew would be fantastic once his injury problems were over) and then we signed arguably the most exciting winger in the country.

I was giddy with anticipation of the fabulous wing play we were about to witness. Limpar and Kanchelskis crossing the ball for the Towering Scot to finish with a bullet header.

And,that summer i got my first ever season ticket for my 14th birthday present.

Great stuff.
Richard Dodd
38   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:53:33

Complete nonsense to say that Moyes doesn`t know how much he has to spend. He may say this to confuse the opposition but you can take it from me, he already has at least one signing in the bag!
Gavin Ramejkis
39   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:40:54

Jeremy is that a half arsed attempt to blame those voting with their feet for the Arteta money disappearing instead of Kenshite having already handing it over to one of his many debts?

Back to the article

Bob Latchford - thinking he must be shit hot with how much he cost at the time and wasn't disappointed
Lineker
Kanchelskis
Beardsley (odd as I hated him as a RS)
Yakubu
Noel Lynam
40   Posted 07/12/2011 at 17:56:21

Jimmy @ 22,

" Factor in Bily a loss of around 7-8 million, after a sale of 2-3 million we have lost 17-18 million on two players only"

The profit made on the sale of Lescott alone almost cancels out those (actual and make believe) transfer losses. Throw in Arteta too and we're in the black. Since you're including hypothetical sales, let's also say we will make a 9 million profit on Baines because I have just (pretend) sold him to Man U for 15 million.
Alasdair Mackay
41   Posted 07/12/2011 at 19:09:47

Most recently - Drenthe, but was very happy with the signings of AJ, Beattie, Simon Davies, Heitinga and Yakubu in the Moyes era.

Interestingly - I would be very surprised if any honest Blue can tell us they got as excited when Moyes brought in Lescott, Martyn, Jagielka, Cahill, Pienaar, Baines ...

Conclusion - Moyes has a good transfer record and we should trust him in the transfer market!
Colin Wainwright
42   Posted 07/12/2011 at 19:16:15

Jeremy.

BK is neither rich, nor a business man. He publicly stated in October, I think, that the Arteta cash was not going to service the debt. Money for players will be available, he said. Then he probably waffled something about Corrie or the Boys Pen.

I know most clubs don't declare publicly what they intend to spend in transfer windows, ffs. Most clubs don't continually lie to their fans either.

This isn't most clubs Jeremy. This is Everton.
John Keating
43   Posted 07/12/2011 at 19:18:18

Not sure what all the fuss is about regarding the January transfer window. According to Bill, the banks never mentioned selling players to go towards the debt, so we should have a minimum of around £15 million if we need it. I say if we need it because in a thread a couple of months ago we had a number of people reckoning that we a) didn't need to buy cos the "squad" was strong enough and b) we shouldn't buy cos prices were artificially high.

Of course not buying in January would just mean that the £15 million we didn't use could be added to the untold millions we'll have next close season.

I personally can't wait until January to see what actually happens. Hopefully Moyes will be given at least £20k plus the £10k we get for Bily, that may get us a loan deal organised on a striker Moyes is looking at presently playing for the Duck and Gun in Lowestoft.
John Keating
44   Posted 07/12/2011 at 19:37:32

If we hadn't given away the catering to Sodexho and done all our shopping at Asda we would have had a few £5 vouchers to put towards a top class striker in the January window
James Newcombe
45   Posted 07/12/2011 at 20:17:08

I was actually quite excited to hear we had signed David Ginola... Then I realised he was about 35...
Gerry Quinn
46   Posted 07/12/2011 at 20:36:36

I was made up when Alan Ball was signed!

I was made up when Bill Kenwright took us over!

I was made up when David Moyes became Manager!

I now honestly believe that I made the last 2 up.....
Tommy Heskrth
47   Posted 07/12/2011 at 21:42:09

Best signing has got to be the Brickie who at last finished the Park End wall.
David Hallwood
48   Posted 07/12/2011 at 23:47:43

The last time I was excited by signings was Dacourt, Collins & Materazzi, as I though that was the start of a great team-so what do I know
Gavin Ramejkis
49   Posted 07/12/2011 at 23:50:05

I'm chuckling inside that Ian Ross is signing on down the rock and roll...
Gerry Quinn
50   Posted 07/12/2011 at 23:47:24

But has he been paid yet, Tommy #47?
Jamie Sweet
51   Posted 07/12/2011 at 23:46:15

Ibrahima Bakayoko! I had never seen him play, but he was absolutely amazing on Championship Manager! I can only assume that Walter Smith did his scouting on Championship Manager too because how shit was that lad in real life?

Kanchelskis and Speed also really stand out in the memory.

I can also remember getting really excited on the twelve occasions we nearly signed Riquelme!
Jason Lam
52   Posted 08/12/2011 at 05:49:22

Stephen Hughes!

We were under Walter, 10 players behind the ball, no flair, no imagination, percentage game, hoofball. Enter Stephen Hughes, bright young prospect nabbed from Arsene. We gave him the #10 shirt straightaway.

I don't know what's sadder, then or now.
Paul Olsen
53   Posted 08/12/2011 at 06:27:10

Don´t be too pessimistic guys, maybe we can unearth another Andy Van Der Meyde this january?

I for one was genuinely excited when he first came, and i was also genuinely excited when he finally left.
Michael Brien
54   Posted 08/12/2011 at 07:36:07

Jamie #51 To be fair to Bakayoko he was signed when big Dunc was the skipper - basically to play alongside the big man. He ended up replacing him as our then chairman peter johnson sold him to Newcastle ( without the manager's knowledge) - so I think Bakayoko had a bit of a raw deal.

In many cases we have signed some good players and the transfers have not worked not because the player wasn't right but because the timing wasn't right. I was excited about Peter Beardsley - thinking that it could rejuvenate Sharpy -then we sold him to Oldham. Beardsley was a wonderful player for us - but he could have been even better if we had played him alongside a strong centre forward/target man. And of course if we had looked to keep hold of him!!! I have often wondered how we would have done if we hadn't sold him after only 2 seasons. he had 4/5 more good years at Newcastle so he was far from being a spent force.
Eric Myles
55   Posted 08/12/2011 at 08:14:59

Bob Latchford

and before him

Alan Ball
James McPherson
56   Posted 08/12/2011 at 08:34:10

Ged Simpson #19,

We sing if you know your history because with BK at the helm we can only look backwards to make ourselves feel good. BK's legacy? - a man that cynically peddled history rather than make it!

I love belting out that song...athough there is a degree of sadness about it too...resigned that we'll potentially never hit the heights again in some peoples lifetime.
Paul Doyle
57   Posted 08/12/2011 at 16:15:43

Exited? No... but this lot gave me a laugh:
Claus Thompsen,
Ian Wilson,
Ratcliffe at left back,
Lyons at centre forward,
Darracott's muzzy / sideburn ensemble.
Brett Angell, Barlow and Spencer.
Kroll against Millwall.
Tony Thomas,
Paul Holmes
And anyone from Kendall mk3.
And not forgetting, Lawson, Davies, McDonough and any goalie we have ever had except West and Southall.
Stephen Kenny
58   Posted 08/12/2011 at 16:49:14

I stayed up all night watching Sky Sports because the cunt out the Goodison Chippy said he seen him outside the ground!!!

I haven't been in for a chip barm since!!!
Denis Richardson
59   Posted 08/12/2011 at 17:07:41

In recent memory, for me has to be the Yak. I thought now we finally had a proven goal scorer who will get shed loads of goals...and he did for a while.

Going back a bit, Limpar on the left and Kanchelskis on the right.........owe to have that set up again.........

Campbel, Ferguson also up there.

First transer memory was Andy Gray cmoing in some time a the end of '83!
Brian Denton
60   Posted 08/12/2011 at 17:59:32

Paul Doyle, a bit harsh on Nigel Martyn surely ?
Brian Waring
61   Posted 08/12/2011 at 21:13:48

Niclas Alexandersson, Jesper Blomqvist,
Kanchelskis.
Stephen Kenny
62   Posted 08/12/2011 at 21:15:40

***Riqelme that is
Robert Patterson
63   Posted 09/12/2011 at 20:08:32

Rod Belfitt, Tony Kay, Fred Pickering, Gordon Lee,
Robert Penlington
64   Posted 09/12/2011 at 21:13:49

Bernie Wright.

But in my defence that is when my dad first introduced me to Tom Caxtons Home Brewed Bitter.

I'll get me coat.
Mick Davies
65   Posted 10/12/2011 at 15:23:33

Forget transfers, probably won't get anyone decent. just thought of a way to get the best out of what we've got. Out with Moyes/Round and in with Big Dunc/Purple Aki. How many players would want to be dragged off onto the bench then? They'd play out of their skins I reckon