Season 2011-12

Age Appropriate?

22 Comments: First  |  Last

My son turns six in January and up, until now, my idea was to take him to his first game when he turned seven, which was the age I first went to a game. I now am thinking I may take him to Blackburn at home as I cannot wait for his blue baptism. Any advice from my fellow Evertonians?
Mark Griffiths, Chester     Posted 15/12/2011 at 20:12:58

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Lee Courtliff
1   Posted 16/12/2011 at 00:02:39

To be honest mate I would wait til the opening day of next season. It's always better when the sun is shining and there is an air of optimism before everything goes tits up. If you took him now it's cold, miserable, everyone is pissed off, the team is playing shit. Just my opinion but I always love the opening day. Admittedly, there isn't much optimism these days, even on the opening day. Either way I hope we win for your son. My first 4 Everton games were all nil-nil draws can you believe?
Eugene Ruane
2   Posted 16/12/2011 at 00:12:47

All I'd say is check with social services first. Given the level of soul and eye-destroying shite the present regime are serving up at the moment, it could be seen as child cruelty (it's DEFINITELY fucking adult cruelty).
Mick Davies
3   Posted 16/12/2011 at 01:14:32

Eugene Ruane, fuckin brilliant mate :)
Jason Lam
4   Posted 16/12/2011 at 02:44:27

I would make sure your iPhone is fully charged with Angry Birds installed.

Just don't fight over the it when you need to release your fustration.
Andy Kay
5   Posted 16/12/2011 at 06:44:44

Better do it sooner than later !! Sunshine or no sunshine the opening game away to Barnsley might no appeal if we carry on the way we're going...
Bob Turner
6   Posted 16/12/2011 at 07:11:09

I started taking my 6 year old son at the derby - Wolves match aside, I'm beginning to think he's a jinx!

Seriously, though, watching him get all excited when we scored (yeah, I know!) made me feel all proud and goose-bumpy.

And the laughs he got when he started chanting "the referee's a liar" when Rodwell was sent off almost (well, not really!) made up for it.

You just need to think of ways to release your frustration at the referee/the opposition/Hibbert/Osman that don't involve swearing - it's fucking hard, believe me!
David Bingham
7   Posted 16/12/2011 at 10:37:10

I waited until my son was 7, and took him to his first game this season againsted Man U. Although we lost, he loved it. Thinking about taking him and my 4 year old to the FA Cup in the hope that they will see plenty of goals and a fine victory!

Best part of the day, was when we turned up early to show him the ground, we were waiting at the tunnell, Bill Kenwright walked past and my son said rather loudly ' who's that?'
Ray Robinson
8   Posted 16/12/2011 at 10:31:22

Took my son at the age of 6 and we lost the first 4 matches at home that he saw! Then decided to take him to the Reykjavik match in the Cup Winners Cup because it was guaranteed that we'd win but we even managed to be 1-0 down at half time in that game! (before winning 3-1).

I reckon any match where there is likely to be a good atmosphere (rare I know these days) as it's the atmosphere that hooks them.

My son is now a committed Blue thankfully though I sometimes wonder what I let him in for!
Simon Atkins
9   Posted 16/12/2011 at 11:20:16

Yes my lad is 5 and at the moment, still think its a bit early to subject him to the current crap on offer!
Alastair Bates
10   Posted 16/12/2011 at 12:02:47

Ive already taken my 3 year old daughter to a local game (Leamington FC) at the end of last season to see if she watched it could cope with the atmosphere etc (600 people before 35,000). She did great but got a little bored near the end even though 2 late goals saw a home win snatched from defeat! We are next trying her at the Olympics for a women?s game then probably at the back end of next season ill take her to Goodison ? when its warmer, she will be five then. She already is an evertonian though, has had 3 kits and sings the songs?..what have I got her into..but then her mum supports Coventry City so she didn?t have much to choose from!
Brian Waring
11   Posted 16/12/2011 at 12:21:06

Just remember to take a neck brace, so he can put it on after watching another twat down the field by Jags & Co.
Max Main
12   Posted 16/12/2011 at 12:42:24

Whatever you choose I'm sure it won't be worse than my first ever game. My dad took me and my brother (who's a red) to Anfield - the Kop to be precise - for the derby. Ronnie Rosenthal scored the winner in injury time. Son of a...
Kevin Sparke
13   Posted 16/12/2011 at 12:39:28

I went my first game when I was 3 - carried by my dad and sat on a barrier in front of him. He met up with a Liverpool supporting mate who had taken his 6 year old son to his first match.

2nd December 1961 Everton 5 - Manchester United 1.

The only thing I remember about it was my dad's mate going home at half time after telling my dad we were in for a hiding (We were up 5-0 at half time) and the noise of the crowd being the most scary but fantastic thing I'd ever heard.

Apparently I wanted to go home when the Everton Mints ran out...

Take him - he'll remember it forever.
Tony J Williams
14   Posted 16/12/2011 at 13:38:50

Don't do it mate....he won't thank you for it when he has a 40 a day habbit, goes through a bottle of scotch a week and has no hair left.....by the time he is 18!!!

Then again, it certainly is character building...
Richard Tarleton
15   Posted 16/12/2011 at 13:43:33

I was seven and my first game was 12 goals, Everton versus Plymouth in 53-4. I'm waiting still at 65 to see another twelve goal game, I've seen one eleven against Cardiff in the early 60s. Take him, he won't remember the quality of the football and Everton v Blackburn will be dire, but he'll remeber the atmosphere and the goals if there are any.
Anthony Fielding
16   Posted 16/12/2011 at 13:35:52

I took my daughter to her 1st game against Stoke the other week. She's 2˝! She loved it, she had been excited about going since I told her 2 weeks before the game.

I took her to Everton One before the game and got her a new kit, which she insisted on putting on straight away, and then wouldn't put her coat back on as she wanted to show everyone her new shirt.

As we walked up the stairs from the concourse into the Upper Bullens her face was a picture of amazement, I still get the same buzz every home game as I walk up the stairs and to my seat. She sat excited on her seat as we observed the minutes applause for Gary Speed which might I say was amazing!

The game began and she sat patiently for a spark from the team or crowd... it wasn't to come, she began to fidget so out came the chocolate buttons to keep her entertained.

We got to half-time so I took her for a toilet break, to my suprise she was itching to get back to her seat to watch the second half. The same non-entertaining farce preceeded into the second half and again her concentration started to go... out came the Quavers to see us to full-time.

In the end it was a game to forget, but an occasion to remember; she's already telling everyone shes going with daddy to the football next week. I'm going to take her to the FA Cup game, hopefully we can give her something to cheer about, but no doubt she'll love it all the same!
Eugene Ruane
17   Posted 16/12/2011 at 14:00:41

I joked earlier about social services, but come to think of it, my own first game might, if played now, have had my (late) father doing porridge. It was 66 or 67 (United at home) and I was 7..ish. Most of it is a blur but I'm fairly sure we stood in the Park End. I remember he lifted me up for a lot of the game, but there were times when, I suppose, I just got too heavy (I'm guessing, like Louis CK says about holding a kid for a while - 'heavier than they look - like holding a large Racoon that's holding bowling ball). My main memory therefore is of my head being adult-arse high and of smelly arses dropping gut-churning 'Lionel Barts'. How he ever got me to a second game, NOT a clue!
Norman Merrill
18   Posted 16/12/2011 at 14:10:19

Richard, # 16
That brings back memories, I was 16 and at White Hart lane, when we were on the wrong end of a 10-4 beating, by Spurs, and it was the great Bill Nicholsons first game in charge.
Only consolation was Jimmy Harris getting our goals.
We fans took some stick, as there was a TV programme on at the time with Broderick Crawford in
Called Highway patrol, and and the cops code call was 10-4.
The only good thing that happened was just after Liverpool lost to Birmingham city 9-1 over Xmas
And there was a cartoon in the Echo showing the L,pool net with 9 case balls in it spelling
MERRY XMAS.
Mark Griffiths
19   Posted 16/12/2011 at 16:03:13

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input, veyr funny at times.

I am leaning towards taking him now.

I remember my first game, it was the FA Cup I think against Telford, and I think we won 3-0? I am sure peter Reid scored in that game and I remember my dad saying to someone in the crowd, "well he's heard it all now"!

Ray Said
20   Posted 16/12/2011 at 15:58:16

My brother took me to my first game when i was 6.
We walked from Wavertee Rd to the ground , picking up his mates on the way. I can still hear in my mind the noise as we got to the ground and still recall the smell of chips and ale-everyone seemed to have a bag of chips and a bottle of ale in their hands.

He carried me on his shoulders and the first sight of the pitch looking like a snooker table still gives me the shivers when i think about it. We ended up in the paddock with him blasting a boys brigade bugle every time we attacked-this was in 1964 so we attacked a lot!
That was it for me from then on- EFC forever!
Take him as soon as you can and hope he catches what the rest of us caught.
Good luck and enjoy the game.
Alan Stafford
21   Posted 16/12/2011 at 17:29:00

Mark, you should take him ASAP. I remember going to the games with my Dad, Uncle and cousins we used to sit in upper Gwladys Steet when the floor was wooden and on the cold days everbody would be stamping their feet, it was so loud you couldnt hear yourself talk.

I remember a game where we played Leeds and Joe Jordan the cheating prick scored a goal into the Gwladys Street end with his fist (no idea what that year was) there was almost a riot. I must have only been 7 or 8 then.
Wayne McNee
22   Posted 16/12/2011 at 18:36:38

My daughter who's 9 went to her 1st game last season & I was surprised how into it she was & she nick named Fellaini - Frizzy & has been into The Blues ever since. I took my niece of a similar age for the 1st game as company which seemed to help & the family enclosure is nice environment.