Season 2011-12

Would this work on Wednesday night?

37 Comments: First  |  Last

If by some chance Mr. Moyes reads this forum, I would like to suggest something to him for the Swansea game.

I haven't enjoyed a twenty five minute spell at Goodison like I enjoyed the finale of match yesterday after the moment big Denis came on, quickly followed by one R.R. Drenthe since the Blackpool game in February last.

So... how about starting with the eleven which finished the game yesterday, playing with the urgency that our predicament required from the getgo?

Tell the lads they are 2-0 down before they leave the dressing room and let them loose.

FFS we are only playing Swansea and they find scoring even more difficulr than we do.
Domino  Darkley, Liverpool     Posted 18/12/2011 at 14:19:34

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Noel Lynam
1   Posted 19/12/2011 at 00:22:30

Presuming both are fully fit, I'd like to see Straq and Drenthe start however pairing Neville and Fellaini together leaves us badly lacking creativity in centre midfield.

If Straq does play, we need to get the ball wide and put decent crosses into the box. He won nearly everything in the air after coming on yesterday.
Jamie Sweet
2   Posted 19/12/2011 at 01:04:38

Not sure about starting with McAleny Domino, but I'd certainly like to see Royston and Straq start, probably with Saha alonside the Argentinian. Don't like Neville in midfield either so would prefer to see a fit Rodwell in there.

Something has to change though surely. It's obvious to everyone, but is it obvious to Moyes?

If he starts with the Cahill Saha combination again, that will be the final bit of proof I need that our manager has lost the plot and is no longer fit to manage our club.
Andy Peers
3   Posted 19/12/2011 at 01:24:26

If Moyes plays
Howard
Neville Jags Heitinga Baines
Drenthe Fellani Rodwell Barkley
Straq Saha
and announces this team on Monday then they would probably get 5000 more fans at the game. For two reasons, first of all because it suggests were going to try and clobber them and secondly because they know we will never ever see it again in Moyes time at Everton.
Nick Entwistle
4   Posted 19/12/2011 at 01:23:19

The problem with our team is the middle two and the one behind the striker. I'm not sure any combination of Fallaini/ Rodwell/ Neville play well together, but Cahill is a damp dog behind the striker.
Drenthe and Gueye show ingenuity and must start, Barkley or McAlney behind the striker is fine by me.
Up front? Saha is still the man but unless the dross behind him picks up he'll remain as poor.

Saha
Barkley
Gueye Rodwell Fallaini Drenthe
Baines Jags Distin Hibbert
Howard

Coleman as an impact sub.

Nick Entwistle
5   Posted 19/12/2011 at 01:34:51

You're right there Andy, Neville in for Hibbert.
Jimmy Sørheim
6   Posted 19/12/2011 at 01:42:19

Dream on. Never going to happen under David Moyes, you must know that.
Andy Peers
7   Posted 19/12/2011 at 01:36:44

This is Swansea and they have scored the same amount of goals as us and conceded one more than us so please attack the shit out of them. I can not handle watching Cahill in another toothless front line and Neville in midfield. This game, for me, will either be another nail in Moyes's coffin or a step in the right direction. Did I mention this was only Swansea, of course that is what I thought about Norwich!
James Stewart
8   Posted 19/12/2011 at 01:52:08

@6 exactly.

Cahill will start mark my words.
Conor Skelly
9   Posted 19/12/2011 at 02:15:27

Make Drenthe the main man. Its simple. Over the Moyes tenure a large part of our success was we had a midfield mystro. Graveson and then Arteta. I know all 3 players are different but I see Drenthe as that stand out player that will get Goodison going. He is obviously a natural winger but now he's at us I think he should play a more predominant role behind the striker or even a free role. My team would be.
Howard
Hibbert Jags Heitinga Baines

Barkley Felli Rodwell Osman

Drenthe
Saha.

Subs: Coleman Cahill Straq Gueye Billy Distin Neville

Sean McKenna
10   Posted 19/12/2011 at 06:19:54

Mark my words, we will struggle to get a kick against Swansea, a very good footballing team.

Can we swap managers, please!!
Phil Walling
11   Posted 19/12/2011 at 08:16:39

I suspect Royston will get a start but that Strac will be warming his arse until we go behind!
Tony Graham
12   Posted 19/12/2011 at 08:49:39

I bet Royston got a right bollocking after Saturday's performance, coming on and running at them, actually shooting and trying to score, instead of tracking back, against all Round's instructions!! He'll be sidelined for sure now, until he toes the line...
Dave Roberts
13   Posted 19/12/2011 at 10:00:55

I'm very grateful to Cahill for everything he has done for the club in the past. There have been times when he has won games for us on his own. But he has now lost that yard of pace that was always so useful in getting him into scoring positions and even in his better days he never offered much as a midfielder.

Moyes has got to drop him for Wednesday. He is even becoming something of a liability in giving loads of silly fouls away, some in dangerous areas. But will Moyes drop him...I have my doubts?
Paul Gladwell
14   Posted 19/12/2011 at 10:40:51

I love Cahill but playing him at present is doing more harm than good, take him out the firing line to refresh what batteries he does have left.
Col Noon
15   Posted 19/12/2011 at 11:12:00

Dour Davey will never deviate from plan A for the simple fact he has no plan B. Letting Drenthe, Barkley and Mcaleny off the leash is not in his make up and never will be. Playing Neville in a holding role alongside Fellaini at home against Norwich was nothing short of criminal. Cahill is finished as is Saha, why waste time persisting with the both of them when they offer nothing and are never a goal threat? we have good young players at our club. Unfortuntaley for them and us we also have a manager who will stick to his old guard and faves instead and continue to serve up dreadful, boring, innefective football and see us finish bottom 5. Thanks Moyes, merry christmas to you to.
Col Noon
16   Posted 19/12/2011 at 11:12:00

Nick Entwistle
17   Posted 19/12/2011 at 11:24:11

Jeez Col, why don't you just copy and paste the same response to every thread. It would save time if you did.

Tony J Williams
18   Posted 19/12/2011 at 11:33:35

Cahill needs some time on the bench. That was probably one of his worst performances for us in a long while.

At the half time pint meeting, I was saying that he should have been brought off then. One of the things that Cahill used to do is win headers and lots of them. he is getting pushed around too easily now and now winning anything.

Straq actually looked ok, I hope I was wrong about him and that he can actually offer us something.

Though Saha was shite and only started to play a little when we went 1-0 down. Why wasn't he doing his turn and sht before we conceded?
Col Noon
19   Posted 19/12/2011 at 11:32:23

BANG!!!! on cue Nick. You are letting your standards slip tho, FIFTEEN posts in before you post a sarcastic comment when the "great man" is critisised. Now run along and think of an excuse(s) to defend Moyes with to post on here and every other thread that point out his obvious failings. If you get stuck you can always call in for backup from Ian T hes grrrreat at deflecting critisism from Moyes. Have Swansea spent more than us by the way? if they have we are fucked because everybody knows (Errr Ian T and...) that whoever spends the most wins. Nothing to do with picking a team that is capable of winning a match, being positive and taking the game to the oppostion, or picking players over out of form favourites who offer nothing. Merry christmas by the way Nick.
Col Noon
20   Posted 19/12/2011 at 11:32:23

Nick Entwistle
21   Posted 19/12/2011 at 11:49:27

I'm at home recuperating Col, got my feet up watching the Christmas TV, which means I get to keep an eye on you!

Now get back to work while I have another mince pie!
John Ford
22   Posted 19/12/2011 at 11:49:36

Conor...like your 11

Drenthe just behind Saha would seem logical as he wanders the line quite a bit so it makes more sense to do so further up the field...a free reign.

Id swop Gueye for Barclay as I actually trust Moyes to know Barclay may not quite be ready. Gueye showed enough in the first half at the weekend to suggest he has a bit of vision and is worth continuing with.

I like Coleman and see him as potentially as effective as Dirk Kuyt, about the only RS player I respect. but at present his brains are elsewhere. He reminds he of Rocky Balboa in the 'catch the chicken' scene.
Tony J Williams
23   Posted 19/12/2011 at 12:08:45

Nice one John, I now have to explain to my colleagues why I burst out laughing whilst "working"

"catch the chicken" - Love it.
Danny Jones
24   Posted 19/12/2011 at 12:08:12

It's clear, and has been for some time, that Cahill, Saha isn't working. It relies on either pace or creativity from midfield to stand a chance of working. Everton are short on both. Added to that the lack of movement of the front two means Everton could have played all night without scoring. The personnel don?t fit the tactics.

Moyes might have more joy with a more old fashioned tactic of asking Straq to occupy the centre and let another forward, probably Saha, move off him. Cahill loses his place. I see him now as an option from the bench.

With Drenthe and Osman (best player on Saturday) swapping flanks throughout the game and Rodwell and Fellaini holding the middle, Everton would look more likely.

Johnny H deserves a right bollocking for letting that lump get a shot off but keeps his place. Just.
Conor Skelly
25   Posted 19/12/2011 at 12:10:11

I agree John, that Ross must not be ready. Obviously from January we will have Donovan to play down the right which is nice but i'm slightly embarrassed by it and actually feel insulted by Donovan ? the same way I would be insulted if someone that was meant to be my mate only showed their face at my party for 10 minutes out of some moral sympathy vote without genuinely wanting to be there (another argument). I think Coleman is great and I love his no fear approach but he is very limited and I think its as good as it will ever be for the lad, unless he can learn to defend.

We can safely assume that Hibbert will look for the inside pass every time he goes forward. In doing this he needs to find a player who can get on the ball with confidence and turn quickly. In other words not Cahill.

Gueye looks decent without being particularly brilliant at anything, I'm not sure if I'm honest we have too much already like him.. Moyes loves lefty's! I do myself favor a cultured left footer but we seem to have too many.
Anthony Millington
26   Posted 19/12/2011 at 13:02:39

If everyone was fit:

Howard
Coleman Jags Distin Baines
Gueye Rodwell Fellaini Drenthe
Osman Vellios

Or maybe play 2 upfront Saha and Vellios! I don't rate Dennis, at least Vellios has scored goals!
Domino Darkley
27   Posted 19/12/2011 at 18:26:06

I think Denis showed enough on Saturday to merit him being given a chance to start a game.
Mick MacManus
28   Posted 19/12/2011 at 20:59:14

I like that team Andy #3 i.e
Howard
Neville Jags Heitinga Baines
Drenthe Fellani Rodwell Barkley
Straq Saha

I have an inkling that Moyes will reward the Straq with a start and drop Cahill. He surely knows by now it is time for a big shake up, if only to generate more compettion and hunger in training for starting places. We'll have to go 4-4-2 for this game and I believe Moyes finally will. Only time will tell!
Tony Twist
29   Posted 19/12/2011 at 21:46:03

The poor form of Cahill is the ideal opportunity to bring in some of the players that deserve a chance like Barkley, Denis, McAleny and Vellios. I can't see Moyes doing that though. I would like to see a line up similar to the following (4-4-2) though Osman participating and 4-5-1 seems more likely:

Howard,
Neville, Jags, Distin, Baines,
Gueye, Fellaini, Rodwell, Drenthe,
Saha, Denis
Dick Fearon
30   Posted 19/12/2011 at 22:03:13

Dream on, my friends, when in our hearts we know the Grinch will start with his favourites. After Howard the next in line is Baines, Osman and Jags. The next names on the list are battle worn Cahill the Fellaini. They will be followed by Saha the 'best striker' Moyes has ever worked with, Captain fantastic Pip is a certainty then Johnnie the bike riding Barcelona fan. Don't be surprised to see Distin get the nod and Hibbo to make up the starting eleven.

Moyes will start with a 5 man back line of Hibbo, Baines, Jags, Distin and Hietinga. Two defensive mids of Neville and Fellaini with Cahill flogging himself trying to defend, create and score. Glass man Saha will loiter somewhere in the Swansea half. As usual Ossie will don his cloak of invisibility.

At 61 minutes 35 seconds Moyes will make his move by replacing our lone attacker. It would never cross his mind to bring on a second striker. At the 80th minute when things are really desperate we might see another striker come on. Moyes in his post match comments will say how financially difficult it is to match the likes of Swansea and we deserved at least a point.

I know these things because it is written in the stars of Moyes personal universe. Meanwhile, Steve Round he will do his well known imitation of a nodding dog while the old bloke seated behind Moyes continues to murmer, 'you are not a god, you are not a god.

With a bit of imagination and a spirit of adventure from Moyes it could all be very different but that would be going against everything he has shown to date.
Cathal Naughton
31   Posted 19/12/2011 at 23:00:43

Just saw the Guardian and the Mirror are saying Bily may be off to Wolfsburg, they want him for 5m supposedly, Moyes wants 7m at least.
Eugene Ruane
32   Posted 19/12/2011 at 23:31:22

Cathal, do the articles say what the 'm' stands for?

(if it's melons, I think 6 is about fair).
Jim Knightley
33   Posted 19/12/2011 at 23:49:38

My word people... Denis...really? are you mad? he is so bloody limited. Saha is a much much better player. Not because Saha is so great anymore, but Denis is nowhere near it at the moment.

And please stop talking about chucking the youngsters in. They are clearly not ready for starts. It's suprising that around half the posters are under the illusion that they should be starting after a few decent cameos (and in Barkley's case, alot of poor ones).

We need Drenthe fit, to give us something different. If he starts the next four, Saha will score a couple. We were good against Norwich, just failed to take chances. Play like it against Swansea and we will win. They are a very nice footballing side but lack cutting edge.

Why the repeated posts Col?
Domino Darkley
34   Posted 20/12/2011 at 00:24:41

No doubt Saha is a "much better player" than Denis but he ain't showing much for us this season.

We need a shake up and at least Denis posed a threat when he came on the pitch v Norwich.
Ian Bennett
35   Posted 20/12/2011 at 09:15:33

He will play Osman, Hibbert and Saha, no danger. I reckon the side will be as follows assuming Rodwell is still injured and Coleman is back.

Howard
Baines
Jags
Heitinga
Hibbert

Neville
Osman
Felli
Coleman

Drenthe
Saha

If it was me I would go as follows:-

Howard

Baines
Distin
Jags
Coleman

Rodwell (
Osman
Felli

Saha
Vellios
Drenthe
Tony J Williams
36   Posted 21/12/2011 at 09:32:25

Ian, Coleman is not a good enough defender yet and is now a winger.

Rodwell is injured.

Why does Stracqula get the boot when he did more in 10 minutes than Saha and Cahill did in the 80 before
Jon Ferguson
37   Posted 21/12/2011 at 14:03:37

Stracq hasn?t been given a chance yet, give him a chance against a poor defence to ease him in. I disagree with peoples' opinion that Coleman can?t play right back (mostly because of one bad performance at right back against Di Maria).

Stracqualursi
Drenthe Gueye
Osman Fellaini Barkley
Baines Heitinga Jagielka Coleman
Howard

Drenthe and Gueye supporting Straq but able to push out wide when needed. Baines and Coleman with overlapping runs. Rodwell is injured and so Osman and Barkley providing the creativity in front of Felli. The rest is self explanatory.