Season 2011-12

“Who needs Cantona? We've got Barry Horne”

12 Comments: First  |  Last

Barry Horne always struck me as a real good guy and a true blue in the best senses of that expression. Honest, intelligent and prepared to say things exactly as he saw them.

This was reinforced to me when about two weeks ago he basically wrote in the Echo that the reason that the current owners had been unable to sell the club was because of an unrealistic asking price. I then see his most recent article in the same paper says that following a conversation with a ?senior official? he knows the club are in talks with a number of parties and the current owners are only after what is best for Everton FC and that the price being sought is not an issue.

Is there something really happening or is there some other reason for Barry?s dramatic change of viewpoint?
Andy Riley, Widnes     Posted 27/12/2011 at 20:35:32

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Ian McDowell
1   Posted 27/12/2011 at 22:30:10

To be honest I don't know what to think about Kenwright and Co. I did think he was a true blue and one of us but now I don't know what to believe. There has been so much mis-information, lies and refusal to comment on certain issues.

I like to think Bill wants the best for us but may not have total control of certain issues at the club.
Ste Traverse
2   Posted 27/12/2011 at 23:05:15

I always give Horne's column a wide berth in the Echo. He just talks complete bollocks, in particular were BK is concerned. I also remember his pathetic defences of Simon Davies a few years back when anyone could see how shite he was.

He's a piss poor pundit on TV too.
Shaun Brennan
3   Posted 27/12/2011 at 23:10:43

Ste I always give the Echo a wide berth.
Alex Kociuba
4   Posted 28/12/2011 at 01:39:32

1. Ignore the Echo
2. The Echo is the 'unofficial/official/non-official' mouth piece of the club
3. Barry Horne and Graeme Sharp spout shite

I thought all this was obvious by now?!
James Flynn
5   Posted 28/12/2011 at 02:13:53

It's the asking price. There's no other reason.

Paul McGinty
6   Posted 28/12/2011 at 03:38:54

Off subject, the only connection being the guy in question is an ex-member of staff. The Baz Rathbone biography is a really good read. What a funny, self-deprocating and talented guy.

Given his early history of low self-esteem I am so glad I shouted a heart "Alright Baz" across the field at the Columbus Crew preseason game a few years ago. He didn't know me from Adam but reciprocated with an enthusiastic smiling wave back..

I had no idea before reading the book how well respected in the game he was and what a role he had in keeping spirits up in the dressing room. Everton were fortunate to have him on the staff. I wondered why he left the club. Thankfully it was amicable.
Mick Davies
7   Posted 28/12/2011 at 04:21:41

Snodin and Horne are the worst contributors ever to have represented the blue half in the LFC Echo. I cancelled it ages ago as it has become another Star, Sun, Mirror style rag. Those two ex-players are either severely retarded or the victims of ghost writing. Either way, the banal, newspeak they are credited with is an insult to the fans.

Kendall is only slightly more interesting and since Duncan Mc, Everton 'specialists' have been masters of stating the obvious yet evading the real issues that affect our club. Give Ferguson a column ? that should shake it up a bit and I may even buy a copy.
Brian Waring
8   Posted 28/12/2011 at 11:40:57

You only have to listen to him going on about how great BK is, to see which side of the fence he is on.
Eric Myles
9   Posted 28/12/2011 at 15:18:36

This is the guy that continually says how great Osman is in his match commentaries.

Make of that what you willl.
Andy Riley
10   Posted 28/12/2011 at 16:17:22

Barry Horne?s article of 10 December contained the following -

......on the back of Keith Harris recently saying the club would look to sell for around 150m ? it must be overpriced. In the past I have stuck up for Bill Kenwright and Robert Elstone but the only thing you can do to get someone to buy what you are selling is by dropping your price. Although I always look for the positive about every aspect of the club, there is definitely a sense that we are now caught up in a downward spiral.

This was followed by the following on 24 December - Following an article I wrote a couple of weeks ago regarding the sale of Everton FC, I had a very interesting conversation with a senior official of the club at Goodison Park on Wednesday.
During the conversation it became clear that the club are in talks with a number of interested parties about a sale, and that the only conditions attached to the sale are that the buyers are right for Everton FC and have the best interests of the club at heart.
There are no conditions attached other than that.

It just seemed to me that his point of view had changed radically in the space of two weeks and I was wondering/hoping that it could mean something significant was now on the horizon in terms of a sale.
Peter Laing
11   Posted 29/12/2011 at 12:28:13

It all depends on how much Philip Green is asking for his shares.
Eric Myles
12   Posted 31/12/2011 at 11:53:05

There's nothing happening andy, Horne has obviously been 'got at' by the Club and is now in their pocket along with the likes of Prentice.