What It Means to Be an Irish Evertonian

By Alan Feehely  ::  17/04/2013

I have been an Evertonian for as long as I can remember, yet not once have I ever met a fellow bluenose of my own age. For I live in Ireland, a land were Manchester United and Liverpool shirts are everywhere you turn, but the sacred royal blue is a much harder sight to come across.

I am 17 years old and living in Cork, a city right at the southern tip of the island. I inherited my Everton genes from my father, who grew up at a time when the Mighty Blues were really mighty – but I need not go on about past glories.

Whereas that team of the mid-80s spawned a decent number of Irish Evertonians, fresh blood is almost extinct nowadays. Believe me, I know – I have been in the education system for over a dozen years, and not once have I shared a classroom with someone who called themselves an Everton fan.

But is that a curse or a gift? Sure, it’s impossible to find a scrap of club merchandise on the streets, and all of my jerseys had to be either ordered online or picked up on one of my annual trips across the Irish Sea (going off on a quick tangent, I’ll never forget the amazement I felt when first walking into the Everton Megastore aged nine, and being greeted by a sea of blue gear – Christmas morning never even came close to that). But there are real merits to being one in a million.

For one, the looks I get when I go somewhere wearing the famed blue shirt are incredible. People look at me as if I’ve descended from some alien planet and have two heads. But I also seem to get a lot of respect football-wise – it’s as though people acknowledge that I know my football, and that I’m not a product of adoration for some money-driven empire like the crowd in Manchester.

Whenever I see Phil Jagielka throw his body on the line for the good of the cause and earn a vociferous roar of approval from the Goodison terrace, it really is an incredible sensation. The pride of being in some way affiliated to this wonderful football club is second to none, especially when swimming in a sea of red.

One game in particular will always stand out in my memory in that respect – 6 December 2009, when Everton drew 2-2 with Spurs under the lights at Goodison Park . They were awarded a last-minute penalty, but were delayed for four minutes while the injured player was receiving attention. Jermaine Defoe was ready to take it, but while he was standing there waiting Tim Howard was going bananas, punching the posts, swinging off them and roaring at the top of his lungs. Defoe then missed the spot kick, and sent the support – including myself and my Dad – into raptures. That was a great night.

Again, it’s a very difficult thing to try and define. I just get some kind of enjoyment out of being the only one on the playground with Cahill on my back, standing apart from the countless other Rooneys and Gerrards.

Maybe I do just like going against the grain in some respects. Besides Everton, my other passion is attributed to Cork City FC, my local football club. It only draws around 2,000-2,500 for every home match, which by the standards of the League of Ireland is right at the top. Clubs in the league are still not widely accepted throughout the country, however, but that’s a whole other story.

So maybe it is an adolescent quest to be different; I really cannot say for sure. The one thing I do know is that I love Everton Football Club, and I love supporting it – even though it’s tough going into school the day after a big defeat and facing a plethora of Kopites, Mancs, and Gooners!

Just as a side-note, if anyone supports Everton and is from the Cork area, there is a supporters club based in the city centre. It’s free to join and gives Irish Evertonians priority access to tickets, as well as having the craic on match day whenever we’re televised! Anyone interested can contact me at aptfeehely95@gmail.com.

back See other Fan Articles  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments

Colin Ryan
550 Posted 17/04/2013 at 21:03:49
It's tough supporting Everton in Ireland alright. It's rare I meet or see another blue but I'd rather be unique and support the Toffees than jumping on the Man Utd/Liverpool bandwagons.

I'm 33 now and supporting them about 25 years. Wouldn't swap it for anything even though buying merchandise online is a pain in the ass.

People think I'm mad when I tell them I'm a an Everton fan but it's good conversation starter. I run a Facebook group 'Everton Irish supporters' if you wanna like that. There is also a good thread on Boards.... ie, Keep the faith. COYB

Barry Curran
552 Posted 17/04/2013 at 21:30:27
I live in the north and come from a split household (mum and girls are redshite; my dad, brother and me are Blues). I have 4 of my kids, the eldest is a shite; with my brother's 3 kids and three other nephews supporting blues.

The thing is, when out on my post round, a man noticed my hat and said not many Everton fans – they're normally Liverpool or Man Utd, to which I replied, "Yes, but I can think for myself and don't need the media to tell me who I should follow."

Protik Roychowdhury
553 Posted 17/04/2013 at 21:45:44
Try being an Everton supporter in India! I still remember the FA Cup penalty shootout against Manchester United. We were watching the game in our common room in college, and at the end there were around 40 silently sitting guys and 1 jubilant idiot.

I'd written a blog post back in August 2010 about how Everton could make top 4 (yeah, we Blues always have hope, don't we? :) and I remember the incredulous looks I got from everyone around.

Mind you, streaming all matches on the internet is so not fun.
Aodhan O'Faolain
554 Posted 17/04/2013 at 21:42:51
Well written Alan. Growing up an Everton fan in the 1980s in Ireland was not exactly a pinic either- bar the results on a Saturday. While there were a few here and there its was mostly Redsh^&e and Manure fans. When EFC beat those yokes (which was thankfully frequent).....well let's just say it would have been easier being gay or a member of the ANC in white South Africa.

However, it amazes me how few Irish actually go support their team. I have yet to meet an Irish Evertonian who has not been to Goodison Park on several occasions or more. Compare that the time I was at Old Traff/Dingfied once... years ago... against Coventry/Bury... preseason.... great atmosphere.

Ireland has a great connection with the Blues and long may it continue.

Gary Creaney
556 Posted 17/04/2013 at 21:46:35
I'm from Co. Armagh more specifically a town called Lurgan which has a fairly close proximity to Belfast. Through a number of means I have met many Evertonians in my town as well as my dad, 3 brothers and cousin who are all Evertonians. Lurgan has a population of about 40-50k which I assume is much less than Cork City so it surprises me how few Everton fans you've run in to.
There is also a supporters club up here based in Belfast, ESCNI, which has a healthy membership base. Is there nothing similar down south?
Pat Finegan
562 Posted 17/04/2013 at 22:09:16
I understand this feeling as I'm a supporter from America. This is my 5th year supporting Everton and, believe it or not I have actually met 2 Evertonians at my University here in Virginia. The three of us had a class together years ago. I saw an Everton shirt one day and did a double take. I couldn't believe what I was seeing a few rows behind me. I still remember it was the white away shirt from 2008/09. Haven't stumbled across any other supporters since though I have met quite a few at Everton related events.

On a completely unrelated note, Gary Creaney, I'm a public announcer for some of the sports teams at my university. One of the sports I announce is field hockey and there is a girl on the team from Lurgan.

Aodhan O'Faolain
565 Posted 17/04/2013 at 22:44:00
@Gary there are a few supporters clubs down south, mainly in Dublin. Including an unoffical one in Clonmel Co Tipperary, which I used to be a member of.

There we simply met up every time the team was on the telly, in an agreed pub. Great bunch of lads expecially the O'Donnell family. One of the lad's sons was selected as ball boy for a home game, so I managed to get a pic of the teen and his dad in the paper I worked at.

It was great holding up a scarf in his Everton kit 1980's shoot style like he had just been signed as a player.

Ryan Sloan
569 Posted 17/04/2013 at 23:04:03
Great post at the utmost respect, it hasn't been easy supporting Everton in Liverpool... ha ha, though at least there was a lot of Blues to back you up. Like you say, it's far more genuine to be an Evertonian and never forget we support a great club. And when we do get some success, by god, we will deserve it!
Dick Fearon
571 Posted 17/04/2013 at 22:28:03
What a well told tale and deserving of congratulations Alan on the way you told it.
You mention the 70s/80s Everton's connection with the old sod but it goes further.
In the 50s I was a young teen ager when Goodison was nick named The Holy Ground.
Some said it was called thus because of the large number of Catholic priests that disembarked from that mornings 'Irish Boat' seated in the Gwladys St end sipping on their flasks of whisky and know for becoming more and more vociferous as the game and the whisky took effect.

Possibly the old lady got that title because of the number of Irish players in our promotion winning team. Hero's all, their names are forever etched in my memory.

In goal Jimmy O'Neil constantly patrolling his line like a cat on a hot tin roof. No nonsense full back Don Donavon, our midfield 'enforcer' was Cyril Lello alongside inspirational captain Peter Farrell, on the left wing was little Tommy Eglington who once scored 5 against Doncaster all with his right leg swinger.

Jock Lindsay who despite the 'Jock' in his name was also Irish (I think). The sound of Jocks leg when it fractured was heard by by the entire crowd and we correctly sensed what had happened.
On a lighter note it was amusing to see all our Irish players enter the field as one by one they made the sign of the cross accompanied by many 'God Bless you's in the Gwladys end.

Ryan Sloan
573 Posted 17/04/2013 at 23:32:06
By the way, I worked in Belfast a few years back and I met some fantastic Blues. I remember watching the game there when Saha scored those late goals away at West Ham. Having Irish roots (my grandmother was from Dublin), it was really special. There were quite a few Evertonians,a lot more than I thought. Great times, we were there for 3 months and I loved every minute, especially the Harp Lager!
Ciaran Duff
586 Posted 18/04/2013 at 01:25:04
Well written article Alan, especially for a 17-year-old!

I am originally from Dublin and growing up there in the 70s and 80s, there weren't a huge number of Everton supporters but there seemed to be a larger range of clubs supported. As well as RS and Manure, I had mates who supported Leeds, Chelsea (long before they had money), Arsenal, Spurs and even Forest. I guess that reflected the game at the time when the League was more open and the FA Cup was massive too.

I now live in Sydney and, like everywhere else, the majority would support the Manure etc. I guess for kids growing up they have only known those teams to be successful. The thing about being an Evertonian now is that it takes guts and determination as you know that it is never going to be an easy option. So, most Evertonians that I have ever meet are "quality" (fully committed, knowledgeable, etc).

I also know that, if I do bump into someone wearing an EFC top, I can go straight up to them and have a chat. I did this recently (much to the amazement of my daughter) and it was like meeting a long lost relative. Couldn't imagine a Manure fan doing that!

Pat Finegan
594 Posted 18/04/2013 at 05:56:10
I echo what Ciaran said about going up to anyone wearing an Everton shirt and knowing that they are football literate. Same goes for anyone wearing a shirt from a non-top 4/Livepool shirt. I saw someone wearing a Newcasstle shirt recently. I automatically knew they were football literate (much as I hate Newcastle) and I had a short conversation with him.

I recently wrote an essay on a test about how supporting a football club, unlike supporting any other sports team, is like being part of a fraternity. The professor didn't get it so I'm glad you guys do.

Tony Kelly
596 Posted 18/04/2013 at 06:58:18
Good post Alan, my first memories of the Blues was in the Fifties, and I can assure you Everton's Irish following in that period was enormous. Every other Saturday the overnight ferry from Dublin was jam-packed with Irish toffees, Man Utd and Liverpool had very few fans from across the sea. The names Dick mentioned I remember them all, but he failed to add outside right Peter Corr, who incidentally was the uncle of the famous singing family The Corrs. I must also tell Dick that Cyril Lello wasn't Irish.
Alan Feehely
600 Posted 18/04/2013 at 07:52:10
@ Gary 556 - there is an Everton Supporter's Club in Cork that is officially affiliated with the club, but what I meant was that I have never met anyone outside it, or anyone at all my own age.
Derek Turnbull
605 Posted 18/04/2013 at 08:48:33
Dick Fearon-great read. You said that Goodison was nicknamed the Holy Ground. We also had a song called the Holy Ground once more would you know our words to it?
Phil Bellis
613 Posted 18/04/2013 at 09:25:26
During the 1960s, football-literate outsiders who knew where the likes of Everton, West Brom etc, were located, presumed that we were "the Catholic club" mainly as a result of 50s Irish players, O'Neill etc and manager John Carey.

We've always seemed to have an Irish presence in later teams – Mick Meagan, Tommy Jackson, Billy Bingham, Sheeds, Dave Clements, Bryan Hamilton, Big Dunny, O'Keefe, McDonough, Carsley, Kilbane etc.

Presumably, then, outsiders had to have an opposite and took Liverpool, incorrectly, to be a Protestant club (I've been told, though, that Liverpool's first Irish Catholic was Ronnie Whelan)

The main riposte when I congratulate kopites on their English and tell them they are a credit to the Norwegian education system is "Fuck off back to Wales!"

Funny old world, funny old game – you are lucky, Alan, to have been chosen. You are special – be grateful, pass on the flame and enjoy the ride.

James Morgan
615 Posted 18/04/2013 at 10:00:48
Not Irish myself but my cousin moved over there about 10 years ago and married an Irish girl and they are now raising a young flock of Evertonians in Mullingar. Hopefully they spread the blue gospel!
Kevin Tully
616 Posted 18/04/2013 at 10:06:56
Alan, been to Cork – great place. I wouldn't worry about numbers, my boy goes to school in the heart of Liverpool, there are only three blues in his class, but guess what? They all go to the game, so the first thing I taught him when the Kopites pipe up is to say, "Where do you sit at Anfield?" It never fails!

James #615, That should read "pride" of Evertonians.

Spragg Johnson
622 Posted 18/04/2013 at 10:58:09
Being an Evertonian here in New Zealand is great ... Being an Evertonian anywhere is great. Rejoice in it always - no matter where you are. NSNO.

Shane Corcoran
626 Posted 18/04/2013 at 11:17:18
I'm from Cavan Alan and know two or three Blues up here.

I get the respect thing to an extent. I think it comes from the lack of money in the game and also (in rural areas especially) the dominance of an amateur game in the GAA.

Most kids grow up supporting Liverpool or United but when they get older and given the effort given by GAA players for no reward compared to the ridiculous amount of money in the Premier League I think a lot of people look at a club like Everton and are glad when they do well with the finances they have.

Ironically (and I've made this point before), as frustrating as it is for the Blue to be so broke, I don't think I'd get the same thrill of them beating the likes of City a couple of weeks ago if they were being bankrolled by a millionaire.

By the way, see you in Tullamore on Saturday. I hope you understand.

Derek Turner
628 Posted 18/04/2013 at 11:26:18
Hey Alan,

I am a Zimbabwean working in South Africa. The RS rule in Zim and in SA it is Arsenal and Man Utd. When I go out in my shirt, people have to squint to see the club name, the recognition level is non-existent. I have not met another Toffee in years.

A couple of years ago my wife was walking along the beach in Durban when she saw a guy wearing the shirt on the beach. She ran up to him and said "My husband loves Everton!" or something equally profound. Right there in front of his wife, he took his shirt off and gave it to her for me, he was from Liverpool, on holiday, a gift from one Blue to another. What other club produces legends like that? Thanks man, I still wear it when we play.

Bob Parrington
630 Posted 18/04/2013 at 11:37:00
Good on ya Alan! I agree with other posts that your article is excellent, even more so when I see your age. I am not far off 65.

Living in Australia and travelling in Asia on business I occasionally see a blue and white shirt and I make sure I say hi to them and have a quick chat.

Amazingly, although I was born in Birkenhead, I found out only a year or so ago that my family ties on my Dad's side (he died in 1974) are in Cobh (near Cork) and in Tipperary. With a name like Parrington we didn't really have a clue about the Irish connection on his side or the Dundee, Scotland side of my mother, maiden name Bowman. A niece has been researching the family tree.

I was in a craft brewery in a place called Brown's Bay in the north of Auckland at lunch time today and the young guy who served me was originally from West Derby...... with Nil Satis Nisi Optimum tattoed down his rib cage. We had a really good chin wag.

Just shows that none of us is alone. One thing you know when you meet an Evertonian is, as you mention. he or she knows their football and is a true supporter!

As I said. Good on ya, mate. Keep the faith.
COYB

Christine Foster
639 Posted 18/04/2013 at 12:33:33
Great post Alan, Ireland has produced some great players and wonderful support over the years, Irish priests in particular on a Sunday morning would make the other lot suffer when Everton won the day before, but if we lost, fire and brimstone from the pulpit, our local priest, I think it was Father Flynn in Rosscommon street, god he let you know if the team played badly the day before.

When I was little, I spent many happy times with my family in Bray and Enniskerry, only visiting for school holidays, but each one a true blue, each and every one. I think thats where I became aware of someone called the Golden Vision, I thought it was something to do with a trip to Lourdes..

Funny thing is my son now lives in Oldcastle, the kids are amazed that his 12 year old is a blue like his Dad, despite him only ever seeing the mighty blues once in Australia, teh local priest asked him what his religion was, he said, "Evertonian Father..." lord help us..

Colin McBride
646 Posted 18/04/2013 at 12:51:20
Great stuff Alan,
I'm a fellow Irish Everton Supporter from Arklow, County Wicklow. I'm 42 and although I don't wear too many jerseys these days (I buy them for my 6 year old twin boys instead), everyone in town knows who I support and also know the 10 or 12 other Everton Supporters in the town (of around 10,000 people). Don't ask me why that is, its like we have blue heads or something, but we definitely are proud of who we support and wouldn't think twice of sitting in a pub with 150 red shite supporters and cheering on the blues..

I had to laugh at Christine Fosters post (639) and I was thinking being an Evertonian is different than having a religious belief because at the end of the day you can change religion but being an Evertonian is something you are born with and will die with.

Liam Reilly
648 Posted 18/04/2013 at 12:49:34
It's a shame. The side has been in the upper echelons of the premier league each year for the past few seasons and Ireland should be a breeding ground for merchandising and marketing. Sadly it isn't. Even the ferry has very little Everton merchandise.

So what are the kids to do, if they can't even buy a shirt (except online at extortionate prices).

I remember growing up in the 70's and myself and my brother (a Utd fan) asked my father for a shirt each for Christmas. No internet in those days meant my brother got a Red Man Utd top with a crest and I got a Blue shirt with a white collar.

Was disgraceful then; even more so now.

Alan McGuffog
650 Posted 18/04/2013 at 13:05:01
Given our abundance of Irish players in the 1950's it seems a shame that we don't have a real solid base in Ireland now, compared to Man U and the crowd from castle Greyskull across the park.
Was it not in the time of the much maligned Peter Johnson that we set up a feeder club type link with Home Farm ? Whatever happened to that ? I think Richard Dunne may have come through that way. And what happened to Martin Murray ? And where's me tablets ?
Tom Owen
667 Posted 18/04/2013 at 14:28:31
Alan good to hear your story, I'm originally from the north but living in Kinsale nearly 10 years now and fellow blues are very rare down here indeed! I've only met one in Kinsale who passed away a few years ago the week we thumped the shite 3-0! I'll maybe see you and your old man around some time for a match!
Norman Merrill
669 Posted 18/04/2013 at 14:42:27
Dick Fearon, you brought back a great memory, by mentioning the catholic priests, and the faithful flask.
In 1966, I was behind the goal that Derek Temple scored the winner in, alongside me was a priest, who not only had a flask, but an emergency one tucked away.
Needless to say when the ball flew past Springett, and hit the net, both flasks saw the light of day, & I tasted my first Whisky that weekend.
A little coincidence happened over the 1966 final and our visit to Wembley in 2009,
And that was the ref in 1966 Jack Taylor(Woverhampton) and Howard Webb both went onto referee a World Cup Final. Taylor to charge of the 1974 game between West Germany v Holland. & Webb took the Spain v Holland match.
But it was the FLASKS that made my day, after our great victory.
Phil Bellis
670 Posted 18/04/2013 at 15:16:31
Alan (650)
Yep, we had a deal with Home Farm 95-99 (I think) when they became "Home Farm Everton"

The best thing was you could get a Home Farm shirt with Everton emblazoned on the chest - a stylish alternative to an Everton shirt advertising Danke or One2One

I bet they are now collector's items

Niall MacDiarmada
672 Posted 18/04/2013 at 15:53:28
The lack of Everton merchandise in Irish sports shops is ridiculous

shows how poor the marketing side of the club is and why there is such poor revenue streams from this area.

It is impossible to buy an Everton shirt in Ireland from a shop.
But the likes of..... Man U, Redshite, Spurs, Gooners, Chelski, Villa, Toon, City can all be found on sale in many shops

Anyway, I'm a proud Irish Evertonian. Best day ever was going into school in 1995 with the shirt on underneath the school jumper. I got more thumps from the redshite fans that day - was worth it.
I'm still living off that win

As a teacher, my students cannot understand how I support Everton when they all follow the red shirted herds...

Robin Hunuki
674 Posted 18/04/2013 at 15:54:46
Alan great article mate, well written too (I don't think I can write as well as yourself and I'm 6 years older than you!). I can relate to every single word you say here in Australia. Not necessarily the peer pressure of supporting the big 4 but the blank faces we get when proudly stating who you actually support.

"The one thing that tops it all off for me, however, is the ‘feeling’ – something that I can’t quite put it into words. When we pull off a prestigious scalp and turn over one of the big boys, it just feels so special. It feels like we’ve earned it, that somehow, however absurd it may seem, I’ve played a small part in the victory of eleven men dressed in blue running around a football field."

The above quote is EXACTLY how I feel when it happens!

I have to read an article when I get up or when I go to bed, I have to read something relating to Everton (whether it be on this site, which is the majority of the time or on a news aggregator (even if it is a stitch up of an article)!

Declan Burke
675 Posted 18/04/2013 at 16:20:24
Great piece Alan, well done. I am also a member of the Official Cork Branch which was founded in 1994 by Kieran O’Sullivan, Alan Drummond, Frank Feehely (Alan’s dad) and myself. I have been supporting the blues since 1965 and I was taken to my first game at Goodison as a 10 year old in 1966. It was against the Mancs and Bally made his home debut in front of an attendance of over 60,000. Even though we were beaten, I was smitten and life has never been the same.
Like Alan, nobody else in my school supported Everton. Indeed, I never across another fan in Cork until I met Alan’s dad Frank on a building site circa 1984. When we held our first club meeting in 1994 about 40 people turned up. Unbelievable! We never realised that there were so many fellow blues suffering in silence for years.
In the interim our numbers have fluctuated from a high of 100 to about 60 at present. From a personal point of view, I cannot put into words the camaraderie and banter that I have shared with some of these people, whether it is in the pub watching a game or travelling over to Goodison/London or wherever. Incidentally, the barman had to ask some of us to modify our language last Tuesday night when Arteta started waving an imaginary card at the ref in order to get Gibson sent off.
Finally Alan, while I can't take any credit for your writing skills, I want an acknowledgement for my part in your conversion to a being true Evertonian. It was my childish persistence (your mother’s words) in instilling in you a true hatred of the red shite. Roll on the derby for my next lesson. COYB.
Ross Edwards
694 Posted 18/04/2013 at 18:51:36
I'm the same age as you Alan, I wish I could write like that, it would make History and Law essays easier to write!
Gary O'Connor
695 Posted 18/04/2013 at 18:44:39
Grew up in tipperary and am now 34. There are a surprising number of blues around my age and have been lucky to make friendships through a shared love of the toffees. I now work in a factory with about five hundred employees and am the only EVERTON fan. I enjoy this especially as the place is full of redshites.

Everton is one of the greatest decisions I ever made and I am now lucky enough to pass that love onto my two sons. Everton keep you grounded and also let you dream. You will never be accused of being a sheep and will have great moments of comraderie with random strangers due to a shared love of the blues. Keep the faith Alan. Coyb

Brian Murray
701 Posted 18/04/2013 at 19:26:29
Do any everton supporters remember getting the old B+I car ferry over to Liverpool? It would leave Dublin Port at 10pm on a Friday and arrive in Liverpool at 6 or 7 in the morning, then we would have the reverse journey back to Dublin, getting home around 6 or 7 on the Sunday morning. It would take you a whole week to get over the trip, but well worth it to watch the Super Blues at Goodison Park.
Jamie Crowley
768 Posted 18/04/2013 at 21:59:25
Whereas nothing will ever touch the "we signed Kev Johnson" thread, this may be my second favorite.

Stories of priests in the seats with Whiskey. Hilarious.

And Christine Foster I think I now have a hernia after laughing:
Supporting Everton in America is like being on a deserted island. Fortunately for me, just by happenstance, one of my best "mates" is a True Blue. Born and raised in greater Liverpool and his wife as well, they've helped my "learning curve" and indoctrination immensely. He lives in the same sub-division as I do and plays on my 7 a side team. Absolutely a quality human being.

What's amazing is he lives literally a couple of healthy tee shots with the driver away from me, and I think there's all of 5 Blues in the entire state of Florida...

It's just nice to be able to text someone mid week about "football" and they don't chime back about the NFL.

His indoctrination last week was to tell me what the "L8" was.... I know now, didn't before. His license plate reads: EFC 1878.

Without him around I'd be in complete and utter isolation.

Great article Alan. Superb.

Kev Johnson
772 Posted 18/04/2013 at 22:19:48
Yeah, whatever happened to me? For the full signing-for-Everton story you'll have to wait for my autobiography, 'What Have You Got?'
Chris White
777 Posted 18/04/2013 at 22:14:09
Alan I was lucky enough to work at Pfiezer in Ringaskiddy and drank on many occasions in An Crannog just off Oliver Plunkett St where I met an Evertonian who took me to Turners Cross to watch Cork City on my weekends off.

The White Horse in Kinsale had a few shouting for us when I watched a game there and also a pub under the four faced liar but I cant remember its name.

Cork top night (and day out on the piss).

Steve Moore
805 Posted 19/04/2013 at 01:10:28
Great article, Alan. I am a proud Irish Evertonian too and I have to agree with your description of what that means. Growing up, my four brothers supported them from across the park and the old fella was a Man Utd man, so there was no reason why I started supporting Everton... guess I was chosen.

I have recently moved to Skerries in north county Dublin and have already found two other blues, the butcher and the barber. I know were I'll be buying my meat and getting the fro cut from now on.

Kevin O'Regan
824 Posted 19/04/2013 at 07:49:56
Nice article, Alan, well done. I've always had the feeling that being an Evertonian is something outstanding, like the fella out standing in his own field - on his own, but proud, strong and hopeful.

Yes, the reason you have so many Man Utd and LFC supporters in Cork in because of the colour Red - same as the local GAA count colours... and because they have no creativity and courage like you to be different - all blind sheep following the same as everyone else in the class- not wanting to stand out and be different.

But if you look closer, the Toffee fans wear their colours in their royal blue blood, close to their heart. You are a rebel, always fighting the system, standing up to those who think they are bigger and better- because you know in your blood that blue is best and always will be a royal mile classier, prouder and more genuine than all the other crap you see every day in the shop window.

Yes of course EFC should get their act together and their merchandise in all shops etc... that is widely acknowledged to be a very weak point at Goodison - but that does not mean that the fans are not out there. You'd be very surprised to know I have met many many blues in Cork & Dublin over the years – you can spot them a mile away, not loud-mouthed, but genuine and fair football fans.

At 12 I had the 'pleasure' to travel to Anfield from Cork with a bunch of LFC mad twats, was very proud to be in Liverpool, see Goodison if only from the bus – and very proud to be different.

It sets you apart.Never let it go.

Alan Rodgers
837 Posted 19/04/2013 at 09:21:46
Nice article mate. I picked up some friends from the Novotel in Liverpool before the Reading game. The lobby was full of blue shirted fans and lots of kids in full kit. From their accents they were all Irish although I couldn't say for sure if they were from South or North. Have seen quite a few Irish blues at the airport too.
Kevin O'Regan
840 Posted 19/04/2013 at 10:11:57
And by the way Alan - with 3 ROI Nationals in 1st team Squad, 2 of them playing regularly - hopefully Duffy soon too we're only 2nd behind England in terms of national representation in 1st Team. Doing us proud. Always see the tricolour @ Goodison - every match. One more thing which links us Irish well to being an Evertonian - we're well used to suffering :) - but will always stand up proud of the past and hopeful for the future.
Mark Scully
972 Posted 19/04/2013 at 20:17:51
Keep the Faith, Alan, there's loads of Blues being "chosen", even over here in the Republic. Just last week, at my daughters wedding in Co Wicklow, her new husband who grew up in Co Wexford (in a typical half Man Utd/half RS family) underlined his love for his wife by revealing his new Blues shirt from under his wedding suit to a chorus of Grand Old Team from his new family. Never been so proud in my life!

He's currently being congratulated by his "new family" of Blues every day as he wears the shirt with pride on honeymoon. We were also helped out by a bluenose we met the day before the wedding. We may be fewer in number than Irish supporters of any other top 7 side, but Evertonians know and understand what we are part of.

John Brereton
007 Posted 19/04/2013 at 23:26:24
Hey Alan, great piece! 38 year old (God that types old...) Evertonian from Dublin, living in Nova Scotia, Canada. Most of the texts I get from Ireland are from fellow Evertonians on match day - a connection that will never wilt. Being an Everton fan creates a life long bond of hope and passion. My Saturday morning ritual involves getting the coffee on and searching for a decent stream.

Just goes to show what a bad job our commercial people are doing - we have a great story, a story of history, honesty and passion - it should sell itself. Isn't it an absolute shame that one cannot buy an everton jersey in any shop in Dublin, this is the everton of Farrell, Sheedy, Carsley, Kilbane, Gibson and Coleman - the story should sell itself....

Jim Potter
036 Posted 20/04/2013 at 06:51:56
We are individuals, full of heart, in a sea of souless clones.

Sod Mourinho - We are the "Special Ones".

Some great stuff above - and a really interesting article Alan.

COYB.

Darren Alexander
081 Posted 20/04/2013 at 10:58:43
A really nice & well-written piece there, Alan. When I was growing up in Scotland I was the only Evertonian at my high school - and that was in the 80s! Everyone that was really into football had a favourite English team in addition to the Scottish one they supported, but despite our great success in the mid-80sI was still surrounded by a sea of (mainly) RS.

Oh, and I now live just outside London, but probably have about as much chance of finding Toffees merch in the shops here as you do in Cork!

Vishal Poorundersingh
186 Posted 23/04/2013 at 13:23:03
You are all better than me. I'm from Mauritius. Just bought some items from the Everton Shop, still awaiting deliveries after three weeks. Just imagine!!!

One thing is for sure: I don't care what others think or say when the Blue jersey is on me... I have the Everton Blood in my veins. My wife and son are following me... COYB.

The advantage of being lonely is that, when Everton plays live on local channel, many football fans remember me...

Paul Washington
283 Posted 23/04/2013 at 20:42:18
Excellent article, Alan. I know how all the people from Ireland and across the globe feel about buying EFC stuff....

I live in Widnes about 12 miles from GP and I can't buy a Blues shirt anywhere local !!!!!!!!!

Fran Grimes
831 Posted 25/04/2013 at 23:49:56
Well written, Alan. I'm a 52-year-old Dub, a grandad of 3 boys and struggling to get them into the Blues, I've been travelling over to see the Blues since I was 14 years old, and still make app 12 games a season.

The Ryan Air flights make life a lot easier that the old cattle boat, leaving at 10pm, arriving 7am, stinking and smelling of gargle, spend a day in Liverpool and head back again Saturday night, arrive home, get an hour or two kip, then get up and play a match. They, funnily enough, were great memories.

When I was in school, funnily enough, there were no RS, as their glory hunting fans arrived later. They tried to rewrite history at every attempt, trying to lay claim to some kind of Irish connection. I can appreciate genuine RS fans, but the Irish ones are just Johnny-come-lately glory hunters who don't know their history, and would just as easily support the Blue side of Glasgow if it suited them.

Ireland's association with the RS is borne out of easy, lazy options rather than any genuine love of football. Fuck them all.