Fellaini – Conflict of Interest?

Comments (29) jump to end

So Everton's most famous and recognisable player has signed a contract with Warrior, Liverpool's official kit supplier..... Hmmmmm

I know some will say it has nothing to do with the club, and he's free to sign contracts with any suppliers he wants, but to me that seems a little off?! Has the club got a say in things like that? Does it even matter?

I know as a kid I refused to wear Adidas and as a teenager I avoided Carlsberg, due to their affiliations with Liverpool FC.

What is my lad supposed to think now? Does he want a pair of Fellaini's boots for Christmas or are they tainted by Liverpool's affiliation with the maker?

Where is the line?

Steve King, London     Posted 04/12/2012 at 09:53:58

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments

Brian Waring
557 Posted 04/12/2012 at 15:18:43
Don't think it matters to the players of today Steve, to them it's just another wad of cash in their bank account.

The funny thing is, my little lad seen those Warrior boots and put them on his Christmas list, only to scribble them out when he found out their affiliation with the Shite. Thats the difference: It means a lot more to us fans than it does the players.

Patrick Murphy
558 Posted 04/12/2012 at 15:19:09
I suppose in a free-market economy it is inevitable that these conflicts will arise, but for me personally it doesn't sit well at all. If LFC or Roma were able to fund the purchase of Felli, it would set the alarm bells ringing even louder.

How long will it be before big clubs abandon their original names in favour of their biggest sponsor? How much money do these players and clubs need?

BTW I don't believe that Felli has ever been on the winning team in a PL derby game.

James Marshall
561 Posted 04/12/2012 at 15:36:09
As far as I know, Marouanne Fellaini isn't a lifelong Everton supporter = it doesn't matter. If players are offered sponsorship deals, of course they'll take them. It's money for nothing and has nothing to do with the team they play for or that club's fans' feelings.

I don't own a single item of red clothing, but that's an entirely different matter.

Sponsorship never meant anything to me, because anyone in any way affiliated with advertising under any guise, in the words of the Great Bill Hicks, "should just kill themselves".

I also refuse to buy a football shirt and haven't done for about 20 years.

I do own an Everton scarf though.

Andy Macrae
562 Posted 04/12/2012 at 15:40:18
This is all ridiculous. How many of our players had boot deals with Adidas while they were their kit manufacturer? I don't know, but no-one brought this up before so it's just drivel.

Nick Entwistle
564 Posted 04/12/2012 at 16:14:34
If your son has any form of brand relationship then I'd say he's already lost.
James Martin
565 Posted 04/12/2012 at 16:21:24
Says more about the Liverpool team that the first player Warrior choose to launch their new boot line is from their nearest rivals.
Steven Astley
566 Posted 04/12/2012 at 16:25:49
Ridiculous. Haven't you got more important things to worry about?!

Or are you just trying to stir up trouble?

Tony J Williams
569 Posted 04/12/2012 at 16:41:08
Bag of wank. As Andy states the boot deals with Predator etc are the same as the shite shirt makers etc.
Mike Oates
571 Posted 04/12/2012 at 16:43:33
Steve - the quicker you can wean your lad off a lifetime of excessive Everton worship the better. I and my lad have supported Everton for a total of 60 years and we have never ever taken Marketing, Branding, Replica, Competitors philosophies seriously but we are both Everton mad and would never miss a game. Everton accessories are fine but don't try to put some moral judgements against players.
Ciarán McGlone
573 Posted 04/12/2012 at 16:54:21
I can't believe it!

Whatever next, breathing the same oxygen as Robbie Fowler!!

I'm incredulous!

Paul Turner
574 Posted 04/12/2012 at 17:32:23
Ciaran - pure class...... the original post ends "Where's the line?"...

and you mention Robbie Fowler.

Si Cooper
580 Posted 04/12/2012 at 18:12:58
How is this a conflict of interest? Are Warrior supposed to now have some sort of influence over how Fellaini plays against the RS? Wallace and Gromit style remote control boots perhaps?

Or do people think Warrior will pump every penny of their profits into the RS, and they are somehow supporting them by choosing to buy their preferred option (or, more particularly, that they will crumble if Warrior fails as a business)?

Should we find out who their utility companies are and boycott them on the off-chance that they have negotiated a good deal with them?

I am very envious that some people have nothing better to worry about.

Andrew Ellams
582 Posted 04/12/2012 at 18:51:58
When did football turn into this riduclous, over excessive obsession with other teams and who's a big team and who isn't etc. I used to work with a Spurs fan who at onetime refused to watch them because the font of their shirt sponsor was red. It is all a bit mental if you ask ne.

Steve @OP, I guess you never decorated your house with Crown Paints either.

Peter Thistle
583 Posted 05/12/2012 at 03:28:58
Players change boots every coupla months, makes no difference what brand they are, who cares really.
Joe McParland
586 Posted 04/12/2012 at 19:16:32
It may have something to do with Warrior trying to establish itself as a brand in the UK.

They don't want the brand being diluted by being tied purely to a bag of dung!!

Shane Corcoran
591 Posted 04/12/2012 at 19:55:41
You avoided Carlsberg? Fuck me. What did that achieve? Are you sure you're old enough to drink? Do you just drink Chang?

Coincidentally, I just heard of a Man Utd fan whose electronic products were all made by Sharp in the 80s.

Sean McCarthy
594 Posted 04/12/2012 at 20:00:54
My understanding is that Warrior Sports are owned by Fenway Sports Group which makes the choice of Fellaini to be the first Premier League player to wear their boots somewhat odd. Other than that, I couldn't give the proverbial!!

I suppose some on here are still eating Hafnia cooked meats out of loyalty to Everton FC!!

Now if I could just find the instructions to my NEC video recorder, I'll be sorted!!
Leighton Cooper
605 Posted 04/12/2012 at 21:16:37
Just had the house painted... made sure I chose Dulux over Crown!
Peter Warren
614 Posted 04/12/2012 at 21:36:15
Fantastic posts all round! I did only try Chang cos they sold it at the match and I bloody hated it! I would never ever use Crown Paint.
Steven Kendrew
635 Posted 05/12/2012 at 01:01:02
Seems like a weird one for Warrior. When will he be able to be seen wearing the stuff? Only in their catalogue/adverts? I wonder how much hewas paid?
Eric Myles
641 Posted 05/12/2012 at 02:24:54
Si (#580), Warrior may not be ploughing all of their profits into the RS but they have signed a disproportionately lucrative kit sponsorship deal with them and, given that the owner of Warrior is the same owner of the RS, it looks very much like a Man City style circumvention of the new FFP rules.

Steven (#635), maybe they'll only be able to show ads featuring Fellaini's feet and head and nothing in between 'cos he's in an Everton kit?

Steve King
656 Posted 05/12/2012 at 09:05:39
Ha Ha!! Some typically aggressive reactions mixed in with some really funny ones!! Cheers lads I wouldn't expect anything else!

I did ask the question "..does it even matter?" It seems I will need a stronger disclaimer in the future!

As for avoiding Carlsberg in my teens........trust me I signed up to many stupid ideologies and had various ridiculous opinions as a teenager, this was one of the least stupid!

I've decided I won't be getting my lad the Fellaini Warrior boots after all. A decision based on the fact that they're fucking awful to look at, nevermind the brand!

Steven Telford
671 Posted 05/12/2012 at 10:20:36
Hahahahah, this reminds me of something from some years ago:

I used to wonder how some people in Northern Ireland felt about those Orange telecom adverts, you know "The future’s bright, the future’s Orange" ones. I often thought that 'for the craic', they should have had a guy in the add say it in a really deep and aggressive Northern Irish accent.
Chris Fisher
672 Posted 05/12/2012 at 11:01:12
I think the only reason this has even registered at all is because Warrior is an unknown company. If the Shite still had Adidas, would it have been mentioned that Baines and Pienaar etc have Adidas boots??!! No.
John Crook
677 Posted 05/12/2012 at 12:10:05
Hmmmm.... I suppose that means that not one single Shite supporter will have a Nike product?

I mean Nike trainers... my god, they are rare, aren't they?
Tony J Williams
707 Posted 05/12/2012 at 16:29:36
I avoid drinking Carlsberg because it basically tastes like weak piss. (Don't ask me how I know what weak piss tastes like... it's a long story, I was young and needed the money etc.)
Si Cooper
716 Posted 05/12/2012 at 18:00:46
Eric (#641) - my point was that Warrior's sponsorship deal will continue in spite of a few fans boycotting the brand due to a specific affiliation. As you have pointed out, it is simply their owner using his own funds to bolster them, and he will drop them like a hot potato as soon as he realises he will not get the return on his investment he had been hoping for.

You could say Fellaini is actually working against them because he is taking funds away from them and as many of their fans will refuse to wear Fellaini endorsed boots as ours will choose them for that reason.

Generally in life I would say if you like something (ideally because it is good quality and good value) don't deprive yourself simply to make a statement if that statement is unlikely to be heard.

Steve Ferns
773 Posted 06/12/2012 at 15:31:33
I think the OP is wrong about Big Felli's boot deal, I wouldn't suggest anyone swerves them due to their tenuous Liverpool link.

However, I agree about Carlsberg. Whilst I have consumed many of their beverages on occasion, I always opted for an alternative wherever possible, not just because it's not exactly the best lager going, but also due to the tenuous Liverpool link.

That said, I've never bought anything other than the odd few bottles of Chang from the Oak in the past. I was already tied to a different mobile provider than One 2 One, never saw anything Keijan or Danka made, and too young to buy anything NEC or Hafina made. I have never always opted for Delux rather than Crown Paints, but not consciously due to the Liverpool link, and have been the one to buy a fridge.

That said, my last car was red, so maybe I'm maturing!

Wesley Coles
800 Posted 06/12/2012 at 20:57:43
Shame on you Steve Fearns. I'm a teacher in Australia and all the students are fully aware nothing red is ever worn or used! haha