Seeing An Everton Legend in the Flesh

Comments (10) jump to end

After the absolute debacle from Everton on Saturday (which, as we all know, is not the fault of David Moyes, aka the Greatest Manager in the World, because, after all, how can he compete against big money sides like Wigan and Sunderland?) my spirits were buoyed because I had tickets later that night to see my local side, the dreadfully named New York Red Bulls.

I had never been to a Red Bulls match before, despite living in or around New York all my life, or really knew much about the team. It's not because I'm anti-MLS, in fact I want the league to do well. But there simply aren't that many matches shown on TV; there are far more Premier League games shown per week in the US than MLS ones, at least in my television market. And the Red Bulls rarely get any press locally, getting lost in a very crowded local New York City sports landscape.

As excited as I was to see the match itself, I was really looking forward to finally getting to see an Everton legend in the flesh, a certain Mr Tim Cahill. The Everton-following experience is obviously very different for those of us in in faraway lands compared to all of you who live within walking or driving distance of Goodison Park. While you all get to see Baines, Fellaini and the rest in person on a regular basis, we must view them from afar, brought to us via radio waves by Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN2. To paraphrase a fine Brit, Ray Davies, "Never seen Leighton Baines, Neville Southall, Lee Carsley. Still I dream of that Goodison that I ain't never seen."

So this was an exciting day for me. As I stood in the stands of Red Bull Arena, gazing at the virile Aussie, I felt a little more connected to the Everton experience. Unfortunately, according to people sitting around me, Tim has not had exactly been in good form since his ballyhooed transfer here. I think he's only scored one goal in the parts of two seasons he's been playing for the team. And when he was subbed off in the 71st minute, there wasn't even one moment, thinking back, where I could say he really stood out.

But nonetheless, I got the chance to cheer Tim Cahill in person, and witnessed an amazing Thierry Henry goal (assisted by the fantastically named Jonny Steele) which I really suggest you watch:

Next year, there's probably a better than average chance that I'll also get to see Phil Neville!

Clarence Yurcan, New York, USA     Posted 23/04/2013 at 16:22:43

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments

Paul McGinty
264 Posted 23/04/2013 at 19:07:58
If you are interested, every Red Bulls game is on Direct TV in the USA (I live in NJ). Saturdays game was actually one of the better performances and for me at least Timmy C was halfway decent.
Clarence Yurcan
267 Posted 23/04/2013 at 19:23:12
Thanks Paul, I don't have Direct TV, just cable, so I can only watch the Red Bulls the once a month they are on MSG.
Ross Edwards
269 Posted 23/04/2013 at 19:30:23
If only we would have picked up Henry before the Americans got him. Even at 34 he's still world class.
Patrick Murphy
272 Posted 23/04/2013 at 19:41:14
I know the standard isn't as high but can Jelly watch that video as it will show him what can happen if you can control a football.
Dan Kemp
285 Posted 23/04/2013 at 20:51:06
How many times have we seen Henry do that? More than 9, at least.
Peter Laing
317 Posted 23/04/2013 at 22:31:38
Pity Tim hasn't been back to Goodison for a visit as we never really got to say goodbye. I seen a picture from earlier in the season when he was at the Emirates visiting his good mate Arteta. Will go down in Everton folklore for his contributions when wearing the famous old Royal Blue jersey, was also a bit of a nemesis for Liverpool, I always had the feeling that he just got it and knew what it meant to play for Everton.
Paul Ferry
333 Posted 23/04/2013 at 23:31:11
'gazing at the virile Aussie', cue Kenneth Williams and countless vicars
James Flynn
344 Posted 24/04/2013 at 03:02:04
Red Bull fan here. Fucking pity we finally got Henry but the organization is a disgrace.

Ugh!

Ciaran Duff
392 Posted 24/04/2013 at 11:50:15
Okay, this has got SFA to do with Everton but on the subject of nice goals, have a look at the finish on this one from Shinji Ono who plays for my local (A-League) team Western Sydney Wanderers. Unfortunately like NY, they wear red :-
Franny Porter
755 Posted 25/04/2013 at 19:05:23
NYRB are my second team. Spend most of my hols in New York. I went to watch them away to Philadelphia Union last year on a supporters coach. Great day. Cahill was shite sadly.