Hi,

Can anyone tell me were I can get a pair of signed Alan Ball white boots?

Reader Comments (38)

Brian Williams
2 Posted 11/07/2016 at 19:30:00
Philip. I would imagine they'd be as difficult to get hold of as rocking horse shit....

Any relation btw?

Peter Mills
3 Posted 11/07/2016 at 19:58:25
Philip, I did see a pair of white Hummel boots in one of the sports shoe shops in Bold St recently. I can't remember which one, but it was on the left as you walk up towards the bombed out church.

I seem to remember Bally found the Hummels not to his liking and took to wearing a different brand, painting them white.

Eric Holland
4 Posted 11/07/2016 at 20:07:14
Maybe here?? http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15968/lot/286/
Michael Kenrick
5 Posted 11/07/2016 at 20:33:44
I love the caveat at the end of that ad, Eric:

"Please note these boots are replicas and not match worn and the signatures inside the boots are printed not hand signed."

Not sure that would have passed muster with the good Dr David France! I think I'll just make do with the photograph.

Anto Byrne
7 Posted 12/07/2016 at 04:44:25
Ahem... I managed to acquire a pair of genuine white boots from Alan Ball when he played for Arsenal. Long story but they were salvaged from a pub that was closing down and a lot of Arsenal stuff was being sold off.

It was the boots or Charlie George's signed picture. I paid a fortune for them at the time – 30 quid.
Les Green
8 Posted 12/07/2016 at 08:31:30
I remember having a pair of Alan Ball white boots as a kid – amongst my most fondly remembered childhood things (along with major Matt Mason and the collection of Dandy and Beano annuals).

I remember they had a telephone dial stud arrangement that was supposed to help you turn quickly – except they seemed to twist my ankle every time I tried it. Maybe the groundsman wasn't putting enough water on the wasteland near our house ...

Mike Doyle
9 Posted 12/07/2016 at 11:32:36
Peter (3). Like a few kids at school, I pestered my dad to get me a pair of the white Hummel boots that Alan Ball wore. Without doubt the most uncomfortable pair of boots I ever wore – but stuck with them because Bally did ... or so I thought!

About 35 years later, like you, I learned that Alan had problems with the boots but was contracted to wear them. However, he overcame the problem by painting/modifying a different brand to look like Hummel. Not sure if the story is true – but would like to think it was.

When Alan left for Arsenal – and after I'd stopped crying – I later switched to Adidas Beckenbauer (green stripes) . Great boots but made no difference to my game.

William Cartwright
10 Posted 12/07/2016 at 14:20:59
I sprayed my boots white and I swear it made me a better player . . . . . !
Eric Holland
11 Posted 12/07/2016 at 17:02:56
Michael.

He did not stipulate that they had to be genuine!!

Ciaran Duff
12 Posted 13/07/2016 at 03:12:52
My first childhood memories of being an Everton fan are based around these very boots. Loving Alan Ball and his white boots (those were the first non-black boots that I am aware of), I begged for a pair and got them for Christmas. I was thrilled naturally.

I recall that a lot of kids would get new football jerseys & gear for Christmas and meet up in the park in the afternoon to show off and compare their new gear. There was a lot of variety in the teams supported in those days in Dublin which reflected the more open nature of the league I guess.

Anyway, sometime afterwards I left my boots in a bag on the bus on the way back from training. I tried to get them back from lost property (some hope!) but no luck. I was shattered and bricking it about what my Dad would say... In those days, they were a big purchase and money was scarce.

I didn't get a clattering but he did get me a replacement pair of Blackthorn boots. Possibly the ugliest pair of boots I have ever seen and a constant reminder of my youthful folly, every time I put them on. So, maybe a better punishment.

Anyway, I always think that this set the tone for my bitter-sweet relationship with Everton ever since.

Brian Williams
13 Posted 13/07/2016 at 17:18:21
No disrespect intended but others' stories aren't really helping Philip!
Andy Crooks
14 Posted 13/07/2016 at 17:38:31
I passed my new autograph book in the window of the England bus to my hero, Alan Ball. It had only one previous signature in it; that of Alan Mullery.

Anyway, Bally shut the window, the bus drove off and he left with my book. I guess that Bally was a secret fan of the unsung and much derided Mullery.

Ray Roche
15 Posted 13/07/2016 at 18:07:53
Ciaran, football boots were brown in the 50s when my Dad bought me my first pair... I say "my" first pair but, like most things, they were the tarted up items that my elder brother had used first. Leather as stiff as formica and just as comfortable, they required the use of copious quantities of dubbin (remember that? ) before they would bend. They could double these days as safety footwear on a building site.

The studs were circular pieces of leather laminated together with three or four nails knocked through them and into the boot sole. You could do some damage with those. And when you think of the skill some fifties and earlier wingers showed wearing those things...

When black boots first appeared, we called them "Continental" boots, don't know if anyone else did, and Charles Buchan Football Monthly magazine carried adverts of various makes, many of which are lost in time. I've got a copy from September 67 in front of me and here are some names:

"Chaussures OURS " a French company, starting at £3.3s.6d up to £6.15s.0d. on the Historic inflation calculation site £6 in 1967 is £100 today... Mitre boots, Lawrence Soccer Boots, Concord boots, Hungaria, another French make, Stuburt, Ludorum, Simlam, Toomer Continental, Dasco, as well as Puma and Adidas. These are the actual names that are painted on the sides of the boots.

If anyone has an old copy of the Charles Buchan magazines I'm sure they'd see the same adverts, as well as one for a BSA Bantam motor bike, air rifles and the School Of Physical Culture and Health who are offering a "New Body for 20s!"

I wonder if that offer still stands....

Peter Mills
16 Posted 14/07/2016 at 07:44:44
I still blame our 1968 FA Cup final defeat on all the team turning out in brand new Puma boots.

Not that I dwell on these things....

Ray Roche
17 Posted 14/07/2016 at 09:35:59
Let it go, Peter, let it go.
Terry McLavey
18 Posted 14/07/2016 at 09:43:43
I had a pair of Alan Ball white boots. I remember them to be very comfortable.

I played for Old Wallaseyans in the Liverpool Old Boys league. Is it still going?

I could pass accurately score goals but couldn't dribble to save my life. So I relied on the accurate passing!

Laurie Hartley
19 Posted 14/07/2016 at 10:26:35
Ray # 15 – but did you use folded up Echoes as shin pads?
Neil Quinn
20 Posted 14/07/2016 at 11:05:18
It's like a K-Tel record, this thread... so much nostalgia.

Stylo Matchmakers, with side-lacing & autographed by George Best were probably the most cringeworthy boots I owned.

I remember a lad in school wearing a revolutionary pair of boots called Power Points. They had numbers on the toe, heel & instep to help you decide which part of the foot to use when kicking the ball. We should get some for Rom.

Mike Doyle
21 Posted 14/07/2016 at 11:24:26
Neil (20) My hazy recollection of the late 60's early 70's was that 'designer' boots (e.g. Hummel, Gola, Mitre, Stylo matchmakers) started to replace the traditional boots that looked like they came from the 18th Century.

One of these I think was a brand called 'Top Dog'. They looked terrible, but a few lads in my year at St Oswald's (Old Swan) had them – one I think being David Higgins – so they didn't stop him going on to enjoy a long career with Tranmere.

(Dave, if you are reading this and I have wrongly 'outed' you for wearing Top Dogs – please accept my apologies. It may have been Billy Roberts, John Green or Vinny Mangan – but it was 45 years ago!)

Ray Roche
22 Posted 14/07/2016 at 12:37:04
Laurie, don't think so but I remember the ones with cane running down them!
Neil, correct! Has there ever been a worse pair of boots* than the Power Points? If you needed your boots to remind you of what part of the boot to kick the ball with maybe you should take up another sport...

* apart from the "one pink, one baby blue" pairs that GROWN MEN are wearing these days....

Andy Crooks
23 Posted 14/07/2016 at 13:12:19
Does anyone remember Scorpion boots? They changed my life much in the way that Dead Shot Kean's changed the life of Billy Dane. I didn't score the goals that Billy did but I touched the ball a couple of times.

Damian Wilde
24 Posted 14/07/2016 at 22:56:50
Billy's Boots, fantastic read as a young kid. Couldn't score without his old boots, bit like Lineker.
Graham Lucy
25 Posted 15/07/2016 at 09:06:51
When Alan Ball died and EFC brought out his famous white boots, complete with his England socks in a black display cabinet, the fans, alongside the other two parts of what was the famous 'Goodison Midfield Triangle' – Howard Kendall and Colin Harvey – paid tribute at the home game against Man Utd in 2007. Everybody stood up and applauded a tribute to "Our Bally!"

Those boots had been loaned to EFC for all to appreciate by myself and I was delighted to see they were the prominent part of Goodison's tribute to Alan Ball that day. They're now back in my house!

I also have the full history of why and when Alan Ball chose to wear the white Hummel boots. The occasion was the 1970 Charity Shield when Everton beat Chelsea 2-1.

On that day, Hummel didn't have any white boots but they sprayed Alan's Adidas boots white as a marketing / promotion idea.

The match commentator, Kenneth Wolstenholme, commented several times on these 'new innovative white boots' and together with several TV camera close-up shots of Ball's boots 'the white boot idea' was a sensation.

The Monday after the game, the Hummel sales line was buzzing with 12,000 pairs of white boots sold, doubling Hummels previous entire sales quota of 5,000 in one morning.

Hummel soon improved the quality of their boots and continued to supply the white boots for Alan Ball to dazzle his skills wherever he played football.

Andy McNabb
26 Posted 15/07/2016 at 10:10:29
Thanks so much ,guys!

Sitting in a chip shop outside Melbourne waiting for my order (Aussie chippies take hours to fry a few potatoes) and suddenly I'm transported back to West Derby in 1968.

Great memories of surely a better, kinder time.

Michael Kenrick
27 Posted 15/07/2016 at 13:52:46
Great story, Graham (23). You didn't mention how you came to have those boots?

I presume as he no doubt went through them at a rate of knots, there were quite a few pairs knocking around, but still quite an achievement to get and keep a pair.

Terry White
28 Posted 15/07/2016 at 15:11:15
Peter (#16), for all these years I have thought Jimmy Husband was to blame for that defeat. Now I know it was actually a team loss to be blamed on their footwear!!!

Sorry, Jimmy, for all I have said about you – now I know your missing that header with Bally behind you was not your fault, it was your boots, stopped you getting off the ground.

Jimmy was one of my favourite players at that time, very fast on the ball with a great eye for goal (when the ball was on the ground).

Terry White
29 Posted 15/07/2016 at 15:14:27
I got a pair of Slazenger boots one Christmas, very soft. Boxing Day I wore them for the first time at Hightown playing in the annual St Mary's School vs Old Boys game in the snow. Ruined in one outing. Don't know what my Mum and Dad thought as I probably did not dare tell them.
Ray Roche
30 Posted 15/07/2016 at 16:10:04
Graham Lucy #25

Graham, the Charity Game v Chelsea brings back some memories, but sadly not of the match. My mate had a MK2 Cortina GT and we were going down to watch the game, leaving his house in Haydock early on the Saturday morning. We did the usual scarves out of the window thing and attached a pennant to the roof aerial and set of. When we got on the motorway, and Alan had the heaviest right foot of anyone this side of James Hunt, we started to hear a "grunching" noise, the faster we went the louder it got. Reluctantly we turned for home thinking we had a gearbox or transmission problem. The noise stopped, but started up again as we accelerated. So we abandoned our plans and went on the lash in Haydock for the night. He took the car to his mates garage and after inspection turned out to be the pennant making the aerial reverberate against the roof metal with the wind rush which was making the noise.....pissed off or what?

Incidentally , all the players were English save for Paddy Mulligan the ROI player.

Ray Atherton
31 Posted 15/07/2016 at 17:18:37

Ray 30

So Charlie Cooke did not play?

Ray Roche
32 Posted 15/07/2016 at 17:27:13
Not from the info I found on the web but that might not be accurate, Webber played right wing. Have a look at this...

Neil Quinn
33 Posted 15/07/2016 at 18:02:14
Ray (31) - Ray Roche is correct, Charlie Cooke didn't play.

Chelsea -
Bonetti, Webb, Harris, Hollins, Mulligan, Hinton, Weller, Hudson, Osgood, Hutchinson, Houseman.

Everton -

West, Wright, Newton, Kendall, Labone, Harvey, Husband, Ball, Royle, Hurst, Whittle.

Ray Atherton
34 Posted 15/07/2016 at 18:31:53
Ray Neill

Thanks for the team sheet. With Peter Bonetti mentioned, I went down to London in 1970 to visit a mate who was a Chelsea fan. We went to see the match at the Bridge versus Stoke City.

What was unusual with that game was the two captains were Goalkeepers. Gordon Banks for Stoke and Bonetti for Chelsea. It was very rare in that era, Banks was Stoke's skipper and Bonetti reached a Milestone in Chelsea's colours. A good quiz question in the local.

A pity Banksy got injured in the Mexico World Cup before the West Germany match.

Ray Atherton
35 Posted 15/07/2016 at 18:41:04
The Match was in November I think, the same day of the derby at Anfield, winning 2-0... got beat 3-2. Had a bad weekend in London.

COYB.

Stephen Sullivan
36 Posted 17/07/2016 at 02:43:50
The person/s who pinched my Alan Ball boots from behind the goal/nets at Maiden Lane playing fields (1971) prior to our game that day might be able to help you!
Anto Byrne
37 Posted 17/07/2016 at 06:31:22
I got my first casey with laces with a big yellow tin of dubbin. I had a pair of boots with high ankles and studs you knocked in with a hammer.
Rob Sawyer
38 Posted 21/07/2016 at 17:01:23
Peter (16) is right – the entire team turned out for the 1968 FA Cup Final shod in brand new Puma boots (Adidas being the norm for 90% of pros in those days). Probably hadn't even broken them in – blisters lost us the FA Cup?!
Gerry Rutter
39 Posted 25/07/2016 at 08:10:04
My first pair of boots were Puma 300 with a green Moulded sole as worn by Eusabio in the 68 European cup final. I used to go to sleep staring at them and seeing them first thing. They were quite soft and comfortable and got me quite a few goals.
Peter Barnicle
40 Posted 02/11/2016 at 21:30:19
I've a signed Alan Ball white Hummel boot framed in my lad's bedroom.