Frank de Boer, the successful former Ajax manager who was heavily linked with the Everton job before Ronald Koeman was appointed, has been dismissed by Internazionale just 85 days into his contract.

Inter hired De Boer to replace Roberto Mancini after the Dutchman's hopes of succeeding Roberto Martinez were dashed when Farhad Moshiri and the Everton Board landed their top target in his compatriot, Koeman.

While Koeman has been able to steady the ship at Goodison Park and has the Blues encouragingly placed in the top six after 10 Premier League games, Inter have lost four of their last five and are 12th in Serie A.

Reader Comments (11)

Liam Reilly
1 Posted 01/11/2016 at 11:42:43
His reputation will have taken a battering after that.

Football really is a quick fix society these days or you're out.

Brian Harrison
2 Posted 01/11/2016 at 12:41:49
I didn't want Frank de Boer at Goodison but I don't think Inter have given him a chance. But it doesn't matter what country you manage in results are king, and if you are not winning then its an easy option for a board to sack you.

I think had we failed to beat West Ham there would have been some questioning Koeman's appointment. My take is that Koeman is the real deal. 10 games played and we are in the top 6, and just 5 points off top spot, can't think anyone could be unhappy with that.
Richard Dodd
3 Posted 01/11/2016 at 15:44:07
Most clubs who can average 2 points a game can be seen as having a shout for a European slot.

As things stand, we are a couple of points astray of that stat but plenty of time for improvement.

Brian Williams
4 Posted 01/11/2016 at 16:37:32
I have to say, and I know supporters of any team could say the same or similar, but if we'd only won two of the most winnable games of any we've played this season, the two that we lost, just look where we'd be then!

Burnley and Bournemouth. Before we'd kicked a ball, I'm sure the majority would have said six points from six for those two games.

It's a funny old game!

Jay Harris
5 Posted 01/11/2016 at 17:06:54
Although Emre was my original favourite, I think we made the right choice.

After the Martinez project failed completely, we needed a strong, tough and honest leader who was not afraid of change.

I never felt De Boer had any pedigree so was not sorry we overlooked him.

Welcome to the family, Ronald, I for one think you're doing very well with the poisoned chalice you inherited (aging players accompanied by those with no heart or direction).

Colin Metcalfe
6 Posted 01/11/2016 at 23:05:18
So maybe we dodged a bullet there??

I was very keen on him taking over and as I put in a post recently I was never impressed with Koeman's appointment... Hey, what do I know!!

Yup suck it up Col suck it up!

Anthony Dwyer
7 Posted 01/11/2016 at 23:15:27
Haha... you're not the only one, Col, I was right there with you on wanting to appoint De Boer.

Although I was also extra keen as I had it in my head he would come with Bergkamp and Stam, both of which have Premier League experience, and neither of whom have actually followed him to Inter.

Danny O'Neill
8 Posted 02/11/2016 at 00:37:31
I wouldn't be too harsh Colin & Anthony; I think he would have been a different proposition at Everton.

I too preferred the De Boer option over Koeman at the time but was splitting hairs. They both have similar background and pedigree and the only differentiator for me was I felt De Boer would be more long-term focused on Everton than perhaps Koeman will be (but who knows on that just yet?).

Like I say, a bit harsh to judge him on the Inter experience. A league that is notoriously impatient with managers (even by our own recent standards in the Premier League); Inter are now about to hire their 10th manager since 2010!!

Eric Myles
9 Posted 02/11/2016 at 03:36:48
If Inter are still struggling when the window opens, maybe Icardi could be tempted to Goodison Park with a cheeky bid.
Darryl Ritchie
10 Posted 02/11/2016 at 05:59:30
De Boer to Sunderland? How much more time will Sunderland give Moyes to turn around the worst start in Premier League history???
Tony Draper
11 Posted 04/11/2016 at 08:42:54
I have some sympathy for Frank de Boer; at the beginning, he was my front runner. Only just though, amongst an entertaining field. Was I the only one that had formed the impression that he had quit in readiness to join us?

So far, I'm glad that Ronlad Koeman got the nod. More and more, he seems the "talk no shit, take no shit!" kind of bloke that I could happily see in charge, sit next to at the match, or have a pint with before/after. Time will tell...

Despite the cheeky "coloured pens" remark, Ruud Gullits comments on Koeman were interesting. I love the idea that our manager pays meticulous attention to detail. Makes a bloody change from "taking a pencil stub 'n cig packet to a calligraphy convention", or improvised, freestyle expostulation.

Internazionale is no longer the great footballing powerhouse of old, they are a complete bloody mess from top to bottom. However Frank de Boer can have no excuse for being unaware that when he took the job. Perhaps he would do well to invest some time in swotting up next time around.

Question:
Have the marketing department considered the seasonal potential of "The Ronald Koeman Festive Gift Pen Set (multicoloured) and Tactical Ledger"?

I think we should be told...