Our pre-match routine has been disrupted this season since the closure of the Lion Tavern in Moorefields/Tithebarn Street. The good news is that, after protracted delays, it is to re-open in the next 10 days or so. Those interested should keep an eye out for a notice in the window.

Regulars will know the new licensee, Dave Hardman. Despite being a dyed-in-the-wool supporter of the dark side, Dave is keen to keep a balance in the pub and he is looking for a suggestion for an iconic photograph for Everton. This will sit alongside a photo of the kids with their 96 shirts on with a Liverpool image on the other side. The only stipulation is that neither should be of a derby game moment.

That's a pity because the first one to come to my mind was the pile on with Tim Cahill on the top, like the sands of Iwo Jima on Mt Suribachi, after Lee Carsley's winner.

Any suggestions?

I'll forward them to Dave and let you know what was decided.

Incidentally, Sean and Michael, the former licensees, have opened a pub long-closed in Market Street, Birkenhead. They have re-named it The Lion and are running it as a free-house.

Reader Comments (9)

Peter Warren
1 Posted 05/11/2016 at 15:35:18
Hope the pork pies are still served there. I'm looking forward to it reopening.
Paul Olsen
2 Posted 05/11/2016 at 16:08:52
Just take a pick from the Duncan Ferguson gallery of iconic pictures.

Celebrating at Old trafford? Scaring Steve Bennett shitless? Throttling Steffen Freund? He sure knew how to pose for memorable pics.

Andy Finigan
3 Posted 05/11/2016 at 16:14:55
That's a shame... my all-time favourite is Andy King standing on the railings after recording that great goal against Liverpool.
Patrick Murphy
4 Posted 05/11/2016 at 16:20:37
It would have to be something that relates to Everton's successes so the person most associated with success both as a player and a manager who would fit that bill is the late great Howard Kendall. A montage of pictures of HK with a trophy or two aloft would fit the bill. He is as close to representing the supporters and the club as we're ever likely to see.
Mike T Jones
5 Posted 06/11/2016 at 00:05:52
Dixie coming out of the tunnel with the ball.
Tony Abrahams
6 Posted 06/11/2016 at 10:47:09
A picture of the Evertonians on the pitch at Anfield, after Graeme Sharp, scored that fantastic goal.
Mike Green
7 Posted 06/11/2016 at 18:15:22
Good call, Mike (#5) – Highbury 1936... iconic photo. One of the things I love about it is it doesn't look like his feet are touching the ground, like he's walking on air. Failing that Kendall / Harvey / Ball or Brian Labone with the FA Cup? Dixie for me too though.
Dennis Stevens
8 Posted 07/11/2016 at 10:34:50
Have you seen the image of Bill Dean taken from behind the goal, used on a stamp?
Alan Rodgers
9 Posted 07/11/2016 at 18:56:27
i really like this pub and glad it's reopening. Last time I was in, the manager was from Whitehaven I think.

My first visit was many years ago, maybe around 1975 when Exchange Station was still open. I remembered the layout but never found the pub again till about 10 years ago. I will be calling in after the game no doubt.