I gather that the greatest left back to grace Goodison and Wembley is 82 today. My favourite Blue of all time. Many happy returns Ray Wilson.

Reader Comments (8)

Peter Mills
1 Posted 18/12/2016 at 23:50:57
Alan, it's difficult to argue with that – what a player.

Certainly in the time I have been watching Everton, he is one of three, the others being Southall and Ball, who would be uncontested to being in the "all time great" team. A hard, skillful, classy footballer, and a lovely, humble man.

Chris Williams
2 Posted 19/12/2016 at 16:11:08
A great, for sure, and hard as nails. Like Ball and Southall he was the best in the world in his position .

I think he may have been an undertaker after his career finished. He certainly laid many an outside right to rest over the years.

In my All-Time 11.

Oddly enough, we have not been blessed with many top-class left-backs over the years. The only others of top class have been Baines and Hinchcliffe. Many others have been okay to good, some have been abject.

Many happy returns, Ramon.

Tony McNulty
3 Posted 19/12/2016 at 16:32:05
From memory, I think he was 29 when he joined us, which today would equate to about 38. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I remember he spent a lot of his time during games puffing and blowing (and for any Amie WInehouse fans out there, I am using those two terms as they were used then, and not now).

Chris Williams
4 Posted 19/12/2016 at 16:38:56
Tony, he was that age but Catterick had been trying to sign him for years by all accounts.

I think we saw him at his mature best. It is hard to think of him being even better than we saw. Got a couple of injuries with us and over his career too. But was seriously quick with a cultured left foot. Him and Morrisey must have been the hardest left side we've ever had.

Brian Denton
5 Posted 19/12/2016 at 16:56:42
I only saw him towards the end of his Everton career, but my dad told me he was the best left back he ever saw – and it was VERY unusual for the arl fella to admit that any player of my day could match up to the Everton greats of before the War.
Terry White
6 Posted 19/12/2016 at 17:05:39
I would just like to agree with my friend, Peter Mills (#1) and all others. Without doubt the most classy left back to play for us since I have been attending games in 1954. A exquisite left foot and great acceleration over short distances, he was undoubtedly world class.

I saw the EFP interview with him when he was asked by the poor interviewer when he knew he would be in the team for the 1966 FA Cup Final. Ray looked at him with disbelief at the question. Sandy, Fred, Tommy and Mike may have been unsure of their place. There would never be any doubt who was going to be our No 3.

Tony McNulty
7 Posted 19/12/2016 at 17:34:42
Chris (4),

Do you remember the informal induction (it is now called "onboarding") given to any player joining Everton at that time?

"Whatever you do during training, don't tackle Morrissey."

Chris Williams
8 Posted 19/12/2016 at 17:58:19
I do remember that, Tony. He was always first pick for the five-a-sides. He exuded menace and hardness.

I'm told the same sort of thing was said about Big Nev, along the lines of 'Don't chip Neville in training'. I can't remember now, who the new player was who disregarded this, but he missed his debut match through injury picked up in training!