Paul Power will be coming into St Luke's church hall ahead of the City match on Sunday lunchtime to sign copies of Here We Go: Everton in the 1980s.

Paul, the Everton Supporters' Club Player of the Year in the 1986/87 title-winning season, will be upstairs at St Luke's from 11.30pm - 12.30pm.

Reader Comments (11)

Peter Mills
1 Posted 12/01/2017 at 19:18:27
I can still remember sitting in The Bug and Bite in Crosby with all the usual match-going crew on the eve of the 86-87 season, gutted that our transfer activity had been the sale of Lineker and the acquisition of Paul fucking Power.

Just goes to show! What a season Paul had.

Dave Abrahams
2 Posted 12/01/2017 at 19:44:48
Peter, he scored for Everton against Man City that season but didn't celebrate the goal.
Peter Mills
3 Posted 12/01/2017 at 20:17:44
Dave, I don't recall that, but he always seemed to be an excellent character and I can see him reacting in that manner. Not for the telly, not for a pose, but just because he would think it appropriate.
Dave Abrahams
4 Posted 12/01/2017 at 20:21:06
Peter (3), It was out of respect for his former club, it was in the game at Maine Road.
Chris Corn
5 Posted 12/01/2017 at 21:06:23
I remember that well, Dave.
Brian Hill
6 Posted 13/01/2017 at 06:39:55
There is an interview with Power on the 86-87 review film in which he says that Kendall gave him a good bollocking for not celebrating his goal against Man City. It's on here somewhere:

Geoff Evans
7 Posted 13/01/2017 at 13:53:23
Just goes to show, you don't have to spend big bucks to get top quality.

Paul Power was a great pro and a class act. We need more like him both at Everton and in football generally.

Peter Mills
8 Posted 14/01/2017 at 22:25:17
Editors: I'm intrigued that my original post on here referring to "Paul f-effing Power" has been altered to "Paul fucking Power".

Had I wanted to say that, I would have done so. It looks coarse, and not something I wanted to say about an excellent player. "Flipping", "flaming", "frigging", are all possible alternatives, so why the edit you have opted for?

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
9 Posted 14/01/2017 at 23:09:49
Sorry about that, Paul. When people use that short-form, then 'fucking' is presumably what they mean. If the real intention was 'flipping', 'flaming', or 'frigging', surely that's what would have been written, is it not? Why would anyone abbreviate any of those to 'f-ing'?
Peter Mills
10 Posted 14/01/2017 at 23:20:19
Don't worry about it Mark!

I abbreviated it to leave it ambiguous, the way we so often are about our heroes. The adjectives can change by the minute as we watch their efforts, or lack thereof.

Thanks for your reply and, as always, your time and effort on this site.

Nicholas Ryan
11 Posted 15/01/2017 at 18:41:24
A curious thing about Paul Power, is that he didn't start playing [pro] football until he was 22/23; by which time, he had obtained a law degree, [Leeds] and passed the solicitors' finals; I wonder if that would ever happen now?!