With Everton out of the competition at the first hurdle, it seems there is only one story with regard to the FA Cup 4th Round, Liverpool crashing out to Championship Wolves on the back of NINE changes made by their manager, Jurgen Klopp.

Reader Comments (72)

James Hughes
1 Posted 28/01/2017 at 11:34:15
BT have the 5th round 1991 game against the RS on now, good memories and Big Nev looks awesome
James Hughes
2 Posted 28/01/2017 at 12:32:08
Wolves 1 up... yeehah!
Brent Stephens
3 Posted 28/01/2017 at 13:14:09
Wolves 2 up!
Colin Glassar
4 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:14:37
Errrrmmmm, is anyone following the Wolves - RS game? Mordor is in complete meltdown and no one, apart from me, seems to be gloating.

ps: Why is captain creasehead on virtually every red top covering of the game? I've seen him on the Guardian, Mail and Mirror. He's probably on The Sun as well.

Dave Abrahams
5 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:22:01
Colin (166) I think most of us are waiting for the final whistle you know what those spawnie bastards are like and they have pulled one back since you posted!!!!'
Brent Stephens
6 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:26:03
Wolves through to next round. How sweet.
Karl Jones
7 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:26:20
No spawny comebacks today, boys... The Shite are out!!
Kunal Desai
8 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:27:44
3 home defeats in a week to shite teams. Can't even remember when we had a run like that at home.
Martin Nicholls
9 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:27:47
Three home defeats in a row for Herr Flopp -- let the real gloating begin now, Colin!
Karl Jones
10 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:28:55
Klippety's got a face like a smacked arse. Why oh why couldn't one of those three successive home wins have been against us?
Mike Hughes
11 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:29:11
The shite stuffed and we can't lose this weekend.
I'm started to warm to that scruff bag Klopp.
He looks like the father from The Modern Parents (Viz).
Now the bonus of the 'whine in'.

Dave Abrahams
12 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:33:09
I'm listening to them on Radio Merseyside now, lovely to hear them, comedy gold.
Colin Glassar
13 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:34:14
Gloat, gloat, gloat. Now stevie me can try and explain that to his fawning media fans.
Mike Hughes
14 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:34:51
Dave - I'm going to listen while out for a run. I'll look like a lunatic with the grin on my face.
Tony Hill
15 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:37:51
The face of Dogleash was another bonus. Chelsea next, please, then they can win a few before we roll up in April.
Martin Nicholls
16 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:38:15
Thistlecrack and the Red Shite both beaten -- what were the odds of that?
Jim Murphy
17 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:38:36
Please put Radio Merseyside on. 95.8 FM .... Pure comedy gold -- long may it continue.
Andrew Ellams
18 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:40:35
Three home defeats in a week. Good job it's only Chelsea visiting on Tuesday.
Colin Glassar
19 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:45:17
I wrote a few days ago about how Klopp has been found out, as he was at Dortmund with his style of play. I wonder how the media are going to spin this as they've invested so much into promoting him as some sort of infallible genius.
Stan Schofield
20 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:45:46
Anyway, can't understand why Klopp is looking so glum, it wasn't even windy.
Brent Stephens
21 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:47:31
Radio Merseyside worth a listen, as ever these days when they lose.
Andrew Ellams
22 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:49:18
Colin, I've just texted a red mate asking if they now have the German Martinez.
Patrick Murphy
23 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:50:37
What a wonderful start to the Chinese New Year, Spurs for the title as it's the year of the Rooster?

I honestly didn't think they would lose today as my inbuilt RS radar didn't think they would lose 3 at home on the bounce, it must have happened before but I can't remember it.

Happy New Year to all ToffeeWebbers:)

Chris Williams
24 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:53:08
It will be interesting how the rest of the season plays out, Colin. Liverpool have got Coutinho back and Mane will be back soon so if they keep playing poorly and struggling then it may well be the players are worn out by Klopp's style.

Koeman has already said that Everton's squad has been trained to finish the season strongly, just like Southampton last year, and maybe we are starting to see the first signs. Ross is looking leaner too.

Interesting to watch I hope.

Colin Glassar
25 Posted 28/01/2017 at 14:58:31
Hope so Chris. It's not just his players getting tired it's their opponents sitting deep and hitting them on the counter attack with long balls. They can't cope.

I have to admit they were good to watch, as were Dortmund, but the style of play, once sussed, is easy to contain.

As for Koeman, well his teams seem to be very cyclical i.e. Good and poor patches. Let's just hope we are going to stay on our good patch.

Kim Vivian
26 Posted 28/01/2017 at 15:05:43
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

C'mon you Wolves!!!

Sean Dullard
27 Posted 28/01/2017 at 16:10:15
LMFAO -- great game, Wolves :D Klopp for the chop!!
Andy Meighan
28 Posted 28/01/2017 at 18:51:25
The Red Shite are taking "dry January" a bit too serious, aren't they?
John Mckay
29 Posted 29/01/2017 at 00:28:07
Gutted... this means Mane is back at Liverpool, they might start winning again!

Steavey Buckley
30 Posted 29/01/2017 at 01:01:50
Liverpool fans are hoping Mane (from the same national team as Gueye) will be back on Tuesday to rescue their season against Chelsea. Big if you ask me, to ask players to be back to their best in time in a freezing cold UK after long flights from the African continent, where it is nice and warm.
Stan Schofield
31 Posted 29/01/2017 at 09:22:31
John and Steavey: I can't see the implosion stopping on Tuesday. I suspect Klopp's questionable approach of gegenpressing is catching up with them. Looks to me like they've run out of steam.
Eugene Ruane
32 Posted 29/01/2017 at 09:44:57
John - 'Gutted, means Mane is back at Liverpool, they might start winning again!'

Hopefully they'll let him take their pens.

Actually their next three home games are Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal so that could be interesting.

Personally I believe that as long as Liverpool (and the media) still think they're 'Liverpool', they'll get nowhere.

What do I mean by that?

Last night on MOTD, after Liverpool's goal, the commentator said (as though it was 1977) "And now Wolves will have to keep them out, that won't be easy with the Kop behind them."

But the reality is the Kop isn't the Kop and teams these days (if they've any sense) know it.

In the 60s and 70s the Kop was 25,000+ standing (bladdered) Scousers and was intimidating - now it's 12,000 seated football tourists taking selfies. BIG difference.

This is not (entirely) a dig, I have red mates who genuinely despair about what they have become and recently I was talking to a (very) red mate who told me he was thinking of knocking it on the head and going to watch City Of Liverpool FC - Link - he said he'd had a nark with 'some foreign feller' who was slagging the ref for disallowing a Liverpool goal that was 10 yards offside.

His words were 'nob-heads most of them, they don't even know what they're fucking watching.'

By the way, I'll post this again just in case anyone missed it - a mate sent it to me with the caption 'Mané returns to Anfield after the AFCON Link

Colin Glassar
33 Posted 29/01/2017 at 10:09:32
Eugene, you are spot on about the kop not being the same as yesteryear but that could be said of most grounds today. Seems to me like a lot of people at football matches are more interested in their phones and tablets than the game.
Ray Robinson
34 Posted 29/01/2017 at 10:14:37
Stan #14, and yet the Times published statistics yesterday that indicated that Liverpool had still covered more distance than any other Premier League team in the month of January. I'm not convinced it's Gegenpressen that's doing for Liverpool, more missing Sane, key injuries and chronic lack of confidence. Tottenham are covering almost as much distance and they're still doing okay.

Incidentally, Everton did not feature anywhere near the top of the statistics which would suggest that Koeman has some way to go yet in getting us to become a pressing team.

Paul Conway
35 Posted 29/01/2017 at 10:25:27
I cant help thinking that Liverpool FC are starting to bear the cross that we had been carrying for far too long... Long may it continue!
Martin Nicholls
36 Posted 29/01/2017 at 10:29:30
Any truth in the rumour that defeat against Chelsea on Tuesday will see the rs setting a World record? Apparently no-one has previously lost 4 straight home games in 11 days. It would be churlish of us not to support them in their quest to write their name in the record books again!
Tony Abrahams
37 Posted 29/01/2017 at 10:30:16
Interesting that Ray, if they are still covering more ground than anyone else? Hopefully it means they haven't even started imploding just yet, and these un-sustainable methods have yet to really kick-in!

Rob Halligan
38 Posted 29/01/2017 at 10:44:06
Liverpool last lost four consecutive home games back in 1923, Martin. However this was over a period from 24 November 1923 up to 25 December 1923, a period of 31 days. Let's hope they can smash that record.

The pressure will all be on Chelsea though. They won't want Swansea, Southampton and wolves looking better than them.

Any truth in the rumour the kopites favourite song is January, by Pilot https://youtu.be/YnQZ5AHUk2U

Patrick Murphy
39 Posted 29/01/2017 at 10:48:20
Fellow TW's remember who we are talking about when we say things like 'imploding' about them. They are just as likely to come out smelling of roses after their next few fixtures as they are to continue providing us with a bit of cheer. Let's wait until later in the season before we 'celebrate' their demise, I'm too long in the tooth and know how they tend to escape from situations with their reputation intact or worse enhanced.
Eugene Ruane
40 Posted 29/01/2017 at 11:09:34
Colin - 'Eugene, you are spot on about the kop not being the same as yesteryear but that could be said of most grounds today.'

True, it could, but it's a matter of degrees.

The myth of the (Liverpool) Kop was embraced by 'the meeja' in the 60s.

It was terrifying, vast, a 12th man, completely intimidating, etc blah.

Opposition teams would quake and throw the towel in just thinking about playing in front of it (that's certainly what we were told).

Sure other (lively) sections of other grounds were known amongst football supporters (Holt End, Street End, Chicken Run etc) but none were embraced by sports writers, journos and commentators like the 'famous' Kop at Anfield.

Other supporters take selfies?

Absolutely, no question, I see it at Goodison too, but again - a matter of degrees.

Next time they're on, take a good look at their crowd at Anfield (and Utd's at OT).

They simply look..different.

Often baffled looking, well-heeled, out of towners, covered in merchandise, looking like they're on the 'Visiting The Spiritual Home Of British Football' leg of their 'Three days in Liverpool - Home Of The Beatles' tour.

Imo (and that's all it is) there is a massive difference in the average 'punter' watching games at Anfield (and OT) than at Goodison.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the myth to continue - I want them to keep deluding themselves because as long as they do, I think they'll just keep setting themselves up for weeks like they've just had.

Oliver Molloy
41 Posted 29/01/2017 at 11:32:27
A very entertaining match on right now..
Real Betis v Barcelona
Brian Denton
42 Posted 29/01/2017 at 12:00:07
Eugene, in today's parlance, you've 'nailed it'. I've been to a couple of derbies at Anfield in the last few years, courtesy of free tickets (hard to turn down). I don't think I'd been to the hell-hole before that since the Premier League was founded.

It was truly astonishing to see all the foreign tourists, clutching their souvenir bags (see-through for airport security). I feel your Red friend's pain...

but only a bit.

Stan Schofield
43 Posted 29/01/2017 at 12:11:21
Ray: Yes, I accept there may be other factors in Liverpool's results. Like, it's been a bit windy recently.
Paul Tran
44 Posted 29/01/2017 at 12:31:35
Agreed Stan, I've always had my doubts about run run run run football, unless there's something else to go with it. In the case of Liverpool and Spurs, it creates tired, injured players and a still-empty trophy cabinet. Still I guess it keeps professors of meaningless statistics in a job.

Thing with Liverpool is that Mane provides the difference and their back four and keepers are very ordinary.

Great to have selection headaches, but a few more wins would be even better.

Stan Schofield
45 Posted 29/01/2017 at 12:52:45
Eugene@37: Many of the attendees at their ground might be described as customers rather than supporters as we know the term.

Someone in the south of England once said to me, after asking whether I was a Red or a Blue, you can tell Evertonians, they're the ones with the Scouse accents. Not entirely true of course, but perhaps captures something.

Dave Ganley
46 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:09:49
No not entirely true, Stan, but the large tailbacks on the M62 and chaos at John Lennon Airport on RS matchdays tell its own story...
Sam Barrett
47 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:24:40
RS flying Mane back on on a private jet! Mingebags could've given Gana a lift? They're desperately trying to save their season.
Rob Halligan
48 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:41:47
Stan, the amount of coaches travelling north on the M6 full of RS, when we are travelling south tells you all you need to know. Other times when we travel by train and arrive back at lime street and the place is heaving with RS waiting to board the London trains is another indication.
Eugene Ruane
49 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:43:25
Sam - To be fair, he probably needs time by himself. Can't be too many players who have gone out of 3 cup competitions in 4 days.
Eddie Dunn
50 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:50:15
Continuing the Liverpool thread, did anyone else see Danny Murphy on MotD, almost spitting feathers at criticism of his beloved Red Shite. He looks like he has been in a Japanese POW Camp for 6 months. He seemed to be pinning his hopes on them turning Chelski over on Tuesday night.

The FA Cup brings the sight of thousands of away supporters. It was great hearing the Plymouth hordes asking "Where's your famous atmosphere?"

The huge Wolves support was also good to see, right behind their team with hardly a flag in hand, whilst up the other end the glory-hunters were bedecked in more fabric than a tall ship.

Nigel Munford
51 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:51:54
Eugene, that is a classic, 3 in 4 days, and Klopp said it couldn't get worse.
Dave Abrahams
52 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:55:58
Eugene, in your two posts you have described today's Liverpool supporters exactly as they are, without taking the piss.

For the last 20 years or more, if Everton and Liverpool were playing in cup matches in London, for instance, Everton would take a lot more supporters from Liverpool than the Reds would,

For Liverpool's home games, The East Lancs Road is chocker with Liverpool fans while the 17 and 19 buses are half-full going to Anfield.

Klopp has sacrificed the FA Cup to concentrate on the Premier League, let's hope he has made a very big mistake.

Peter Carpenter
53 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:58:13
Mane flying in on Panic Airlines
Colin Glassar
54 Posted 29/01/2017 at 13:59:02
Eddie, did you see the journos on Sunday Supplement today doing their best to defend their media god, Klopp?

They were like contortionists bending backwards trying to put the blame on the lack of a winter break, fixture congestion, lack of squad investment, wind etc . it's really quite pathetic seeing grown men trying to please their paymasters.

Oh, and Matt Law saying Mike Walsh is overrated and is to blame for Leicester's decline this season.

Kevin Tully
55 Posted 29/01/2017 at 14:23:12
'The lovables' from across the park do make me laugh. Most of them are now kicking off because their ground is full of 'tourists.' They are also having a good moan that all the money in football is ruining the game - this coming from one of the highest spending teams in the PL era!

They're a bunch of fucking hypocrites who only cry when they aren't winning trophies. Eugene, you can bet your pal wouldn't be moaning if they were winning the League every season. No complaints when they were in the CL every season and one of the 'big four.'

They turned Anfield & their club into football's equivalent of a cult. Now they're crying into their milk because they've been joined by a load of tourists. Fuck them all, the entitled pricks.

Ray Roche
56 Posted 29/01/2017 at 14:23:33
Re the RS Travelling Wilbury's fan base, a few years back we were over in Liverpool on a Saturday, when the Blues were away, doing a bit of shopping. At about 17:15-17:30, all shopped out my better half suggested going for an early dinner at the Italian in Victoria St (I think it's Molly McGuires now). We'd just sat down and ordered and the place filled up in two minutes with a whole hoard of Norwegian Red Shites. I KNOW we all joke about Oslo etc. but it's absolutely true, the place was suddenly chocker. Not a scouser, bar me, to be seen! All with their flags, banners,hats, scarves, programmes... sickening.

On another occasion we got the Friday afternoon flight back from Cork after we'd been to stay with friends, me golfing, her... bloody shopping... We were the only two non Irish RS on the plane. All the way back we were treated to their repertoire of maudlin Irish/RS dirges, I couldn't wait to get off that bloody plane.

So, it's NOT all made up when we point out the percentage of tourist's they have each week. OK, we have some too, but they've got to be real fans and not glory hunters haven't they?

Ray Roche
57 Posted 29/01/2017 at 14:24:58
Kevin,

"They turned Anfield & their club into football's equivalent of a cult"

Kevin, I think you've spelt that wrong...

Declan Brown
58 Posted 29/01/2017 at 14:50:45
Being a Belfast Blue I can't comment on the out of towners for obvious reasons...

But what gets my goat is the new stand at Anfield, after all the new stadiums built (e.g. Arsenal) , all the new stands built, e.g. Man City, Man Utd (where capacity went from 38,000 to 77,000 over the years and want another 10,000 added to that) and very little made of it about them.

But that lot build a new stand (for 𧴜m!!!!, did they get ripped off or what?) and the media were all over it, capacity up less than 10,000, Herr Scruff said he looked up at it and thought it was the 8th wonder of the world! Seriously? Not a new stadium but one bloody stand.

They're the type that makes a ceremony out of opening a crisp bag at Anfield. Like the obnoxious neighbour who comes home with a new Vauxhall Insignia (no offence to any reader who drives one) giving it the full "look how good I am" to the neighbours who all have Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Aston Martin's in their driveways!

What I'd love is for us to get a shiny new super stadium on the Docks, 60,000+ capacity with all the mod cons, bigger than Anfield and then we'll see how they react. I suspect the 8th wonder of the world then will be the utter shite coming out of their mouths. Long may their demise continue.

Stan Schofield
59 Posted 29/01/2017 at 14:51:08
Eddie, the media are groping for kinds of reasons. The latest is that the players aren't good enough for Klopp. Odd, they weren't saying that before they imploded.

We've had wind, referees, injuries, players not good enough, but not once has any of the RS offered the possibility that Klopp isn't quite up to the hype that's been generated. He himself hasn't once openly considered the possibility that his pet 'theory' of pressing might be flawed. He's been warned enough in the past, by fitness specialists raising the possibility that his approach might not be sustainable over a whole season. Ah well, just have to let them get on with it.

Sam Barrett
60 Posted 29/01/2017 at 14:52:12
RS have got were they are through their own making, they've been actively encouraging this since the 80's. It is their business model to charge as much as they can to out of town tourists whose first visit is to the club shop. The Sky money makes this less relevant. A scouse RS mate of mine can only get tickets (2-3) a season from the RS Nottingham Supporters Club, very very strange!
Colin Glassar
61 Posted 29/01/2017 at 15:04:03
I've always hated THEM since I can remember despite coming from a family of rs. I remember my uncle asking me dad if I was soft in the head - I was about 8 at the time. I used to go round to his house on a Sunday, he'd offer me a banana and tell me I was a stupid little boy who should grow up - I was still only 8.

Their sense of entitlement is, and always has been, is sickening and deluded.

Despite me dad thinking I might have some sort of mental illness (or I was possessed) he always said he was proud of me for sticking with my team through thick and thin.

Tony Hill
62 Posted 29/01/2017 at 15:29:37
It will be interesting to get a look at young Connolly for Wigan this afternoon. It seems he's settled well, let's see how he does against some top players.
Paul Birmingham
63 Posted 29/01/2017 at 15:37:30
Let's focus on our club and this season. There's Plenty of hope and optimism for as long as I can recall the last 30 years in terms of the club structure and finance, which is great but let's see how this season pans out. The sands of time have been painful for us, that's putting it mild, but I hope soon we acheive as a club and do the business on the park!
Eddie Dunn
64 Posted 29/01/2017 at 15:56:39
The media started the season enraptured with Guardiola, many of the pundits were giving the title to Man City after 10 games. Klopp and Co put a good run together, as did Chelsea, but Liverpool did seem to get more plaudits than the Russian's playthings.

My sister-in-law was cooing over their maverick genius as the pressing seemed to pay-off and the goals flowed.

Many Kopites have a sickly love-in with their managers. Dagleish, Benitez and Houllier are looked back on with misty-eyed sentiment. As for Shankly, you would think he was bloody cross between Nelson Mandela and Gandhi. The bloody boot room! Sorry I've got to stop .

Anyway the buggers have got so many supporters in the media, who just love all of that romantic shite. There are so many of their former players on air compared to say Man Utd's old boys. Totally out of kilter.

Chris Williams
65 Posted 29/01/2017 at 16:11:53
Even worse than the tourists is the home grown scouse gobshite kopites who've not been to a game since Moran and Byrne were playing.

Liverpewl til I die la!

There used to be a lad on here who would only discuss football with Kopites unless they went to the match and knew who Liverpool's manager before Shankly was.

You wouldn't even find a match going kopites now who could answer that question.

Michael Kenrick
66 Posted 29/01/2017 at 16:53:21
Looked like it was Connolly who got brushed aside a little too easily for that goal by Fellaini. Pity as he'd had a pretty crisp shot on target earlier on...
Tony Hill
67 Posted 29/01/2017 at 17:09:50
He played well in the first half, Michael, and that goal will be a good lesson. He reminds me in looks of Francis Jeffers.
John Pierce
68 Posted 30/01/2017 at 05:14:16
With neither an effective penalty or incentive in the frame to revive the FA Cup, it's time to consider the mechanics of squad management and scheduling needs addressing to give clubs a positive vibe about the competition.

So we should consider meaning alterations; how do we maximize a squad and not devalue the game? Rolling substitutions could be a way forward.

Other sports practice this, instead of 8 players playing a full 90 minutes, a squad of 18 would be utilized and reduced time on the field. Players would be less fatigued, the quality higher.

Replays should be scrapped, sadly, but it must come. Extra time and pens on the day. It provides certainty and space in the calendar.

Each round should be played on the Saturday & Sunday only. Again, streamlines scheduling and gives maximum space between fixtures either side of the round.

Even with these or other adjustments, there's still no way to force a side into keeping their teams strong.

Could allowing the top 8 teams in the Premier League to enter at R4 help?

My feeling that sadly it's over and done. My best memory and most painful ones are all cup related.

'85 the most painful, simply because we were the best, and the double hung there like a pretty bauble. To have been the first team in a long time to do it would have killed our RS neighbours.

The run in '88 was amazing, Wednesday, Boro games were truly titanic.

Harper's semi-final goal was legend, the skill from a back up in a major game against a very good goalie in Hodge.

'95 was remarkable in many ways, but Nev was truly awesome in that final. Way past his best, portly and his own grumpy self, he almost won it single-handedly for us.

Clive Thomas, nuff said.

The best memory was the 4-4. I shook throughout that game. The 2nd Replay we won with Waggy's goal was nothing but underwhelming.

Anyone got a magic bullet?

Colin Glassar
69 Posted 30/01/2017 at 12:29:51
Talking about heading home, The Independent have their beloved Klopp on once again (they seem to do daily interviews with him) complaining about the early exit of the koppites. Well of course they have to leave early Juergen, 80% of them have planes, trains and automobiles to catch.
Brian Furey
70 Posted 30/01/2017 at 12:51:13
Scroll down to the video on this article to see the Liverpool travel organiser trying to convince poor Sadio it's time to come back to your proper job now but he's not too keen is he.

Mané not keen to come back to Liverpool

I hope they give Gana a lift back home too. Surely it makes sense them both flying to the same destination. Poor Sado will be down in the dumps having missed the crucial penalty that not only knocked his country out of the tournament but also means he has to go back to face a group who are totally relying on him to save their season. I'd say Chelsea will give him a huge welcome.

Eugene Ruane
71 Posted 30/01/2017 at 15:58:53
Brian # 70 - Mané' just got back and if I'm honest, their welcome home is OTT - Link
Liam Reilly
72 Posted 30/01/2017 at 17:43:15
See Stevie 'Me' calling us all to arms to back the 'loveables' tomorrow night.

Apparently everyone wants them to win. He can fuck right off with that.

Bring on 4 in a row at home.