My dad and I have been Everton fans forever, and my dad has been a fan since a child in the Second World War. My dad is Tom Farrell, and his parents Tom and Margery Farrell were avid Evertonians also, travelling around the country to watch their beloved Blues with Dixie Dean in the team! The Farrell's lived at Kremlin Drive, West Derby.

It is strange that you have missed out on the opportunity to list an Olympic Athlete, and British record holder as one of the Toffee's famous fans! My dad, Tom Farrell, born in 1932, 23rd September, became a British athlete through running for Liverpool Harriers and he qualified for the Great Britain team in 1956 when he travelled to Melbourne, Australia for the 1956 Olympics and ran in the 400 m hurdles.

Sadly he didn't get a medal; however, the following year, 1957, at White City he ran in the Great Britain vs Russia Athletics and broke the British Record in 51.1 secs and beat the World record holder Lituyev, being made Man of the Match that day too! Tom was the AAA British Champion.

In 1958, Tom Farrell was made the GB Team captain at the European Championships.

In 1960, Tom broke his own British Record in the 400 m hurdles v Italy in 51.0 secs. By now, Tom was the AAA (British) Champion at the 800 m. Tom was chosen to represent GB in the 800 m and won his heat at the Rome Olympics.

Tom Farrell represented Great Britain and England 28 times. All this time, he was a great fan of the Blues and was a Religious Education teacher at Quarry Bank High school from 1958-63 (training during this time and competing).

In 1971, Tom was Ordained in Liverpool Cathedral and in 1972 Tom was the Chaplain to the GB athletics team at the Munich Olympic Games.

I hope that you will be able to add my dad, Tom Farrell, to your list of famous Everton supporters as he is an Evertonian through and through and one of the most successful scousers in sport. We go to watch the Blues as often as we can, and my dad, at 84, is still very active and sprightly, so going to Goodison is always top of his favourite things to do.

Please do contact me if you have any questions at all about the above.

All the very best, and here's to a very successful season for our Blue boys.

Sarah (nee Farrell) Hunnings

Reader Comments (7)

Dr David France
1 Posted 21/02/2017 at 03:23:38
Sarah,

My own father spoke highly of him as a top-class local and national athlete. I remember watching him in action over 400 metre hurdles at St Helens which, of course, he won comfortably.

Best still, he signed my autograph book with his name and the drawing of an athlete straddling a hurdle.

I endorse the addition of your father Tom Farrell to list of ToffeeWeb's famous Everton fans.

Terry White
2 Posted 21/02/2017 at 03:54:59
I, too, remember the name of Tom Farrell. Delighted to read he is a Blue. I used to follow his career during my youth in Crosby.

Dr France, I have just finished reading "Everton Crazy" from my home in the Florida Panhandle. Like you, I first started going to matches in the 1950s but without the need to hitchhike to the away games, and am now trying to spread the good word with my neighbours. A most enjoyable read.

Martin Nicholls
3 Posted 21/02/2017 at 07:13:58
Brilliant read, Sarah, and I too would love to see your dad's name in the TW Hall of Fame. At 66, I'm too young (never thought I'd use that phrase again!) to have seen him but he sounds like he was a great athlete and is a great man.
Ray Atherton
4 Posted 21/02/2017 at 16:47:55
Sarah,

I remember your dad coming to my school for a sports lecture. All the class were in awe of him. Plenty of autograph books with Tom"s name in.

It was around 1960, our football teacher was a friend of your Dad's, two Evertonians.

Tom"s name, in my book, was with some Everton greats: Jimmy Gabriel, Tommy Ring, Bobby Collins, Johnny Carey etc.

COYB

Nicholas Ryan
5 Posted 21/02/2017 at 17:13:13
Sarah, if Dr David France thinks your Dad should be in the 'Hall of Fame', I think that puts the matter beyond debate!
Simon Bates
6 Posted 21/02/2017 at 23:06:01
I loved reading your article, Sarah, the pride you rightly feel comes across in bounds.

I too agree that your father sounds like a great man, one of life's achievers; the fact he did so for his country should automatically put him in the TW hall of fame.

Incidentally does anyone know the procedure for Sarah? ... And Dr Dave – can't you use your influence for her? C'mon, Doc – have a chat with Lyndon!!!

Dennis Stevens
7 Posted 22/02/2017 at 21:55:39
Sarah, would your Dad also be "Tim Oliver, Evacuee"?