Leicester City have announced the departure of manager Claudio Ranieri less than a year after he led the Foxes to a miraculous Premier League title triumph.

The Italian's sacking comes just a fortnight after the club's Board had issued their "unwavering" support for him and less than 24 hours after Leicester grabbed a lifeline in their Champions League tie with Sevilla.

Jamie Vardy's away goal means that Leicester will take an away goal back to the King Power stadium where a 1-0 win would be enough to cancel out the Spanish side's 2-1 lead from the first leg.

Reader Comments (72)

Tony Sullivan
1 Posted 23/02/2017 at 20:17:30
Football has gone mad, an appalling decision – less than a year after winning the Premier League... and still in Champions League.
Bill Gall
2 Posted 23/02/2017 at 20:22:21
Tony, it is not football that has gone mad it, it's these foreign owners who do not understand how difficult the Premier League is and can't stand failure. They are not willing to back a manager through tough times. The players are the ones responsible for the position they are in, but unfortunately they can't be fired.
Tony Sullivan
3 Posted 23/02/2017 at 20:27:58
Bill, what makes it even worse is the sickening statement from the Chairman praising Ranieri's qualities.
Mike Gaynes
4 Posted 23/02/2017 at 20:29:47
Agreed, no justice there, but the owners will be panicking by now because relegation would cost them millions. Has nothing to do with nationality. It's all about the money.
Christy Ring
5 Posted 23/02/2017 at 20:37:13
Sad to see Ranieri gone, especially after a great result in Seville. But the owners are getting very nervous with the club in free fall.

What are the chances of former Evertonian, Gary Rowett, being in the frame?

Seamus McCrudden
6 Posted 23/02/2017 at 20:45:46
I hope they get relegated now.
Bill Gienapp
7 Posted 23/02/2017 at 20:49:59
I would have thought Ranieri deserved a 20-year grace period after last season's title. At the same time, I never thought Leicester would unravel as quickly as they have this season.

One draw and five losses with zero goals scored in their last six Premier League matches is about as bad as it gets. Even our FA Cup gift to them proved short-lived.
Brian Harrison
8 Posted 23/02/2017 at 21:11:01
So Ranieri becomes the second manager to win the Premier League and be sacked the following season. From an outsider's view, this looks extremely harsh; surely he should have been given to the end of the season?

I will be interested to hear what the Leicester fans think; it will also be interesting to hear what the players have to say. Henry Winter is saying that he had lost the players.

Ray Jacques
9 Posted 23/02/2017 at 21:14:16
I hope Leicester are relegated, horrible decision. (hope they win on Monday though!!). Sums up modern day football and society in general, I want it all and I want it now.
Len Hawkins
10 Posted 23/02/2017 at 21:17:25
Nothing surprises me in football – you only have to look at Birmingham; they were up in the playoff zone... got rid of Gary Rowett and put in a serial loser, Zola – now they are struggling. Morons running clubs nowadays.

For all the stick (including from me) Kenwright gets, he is not trigger-happy... in fact, as in the case of Brown Shoes, he got too much time.

I feel sorry for Ranieri but, as is the revolving door of football management, he'll walk into another job.

Mike Green
11 Posted 23/02/2017 at 21:18:23
Football sinks to a brand new low.
Rob Halligan
12 Posted 23/02/2017 at 21:24:38
Ranieri only signed a new 4-year contract last August. Guess it will take all their Champions League prize money to pay him off.
David Donnellan
13 Posted 23/02/2017 at 21:27:20
Totally agree, Ray, shocking decision. The guy pulled off an absolute miracle last season, the kind I will probably never see again in the Premier League in my lifetime. He deserved the chance to turn it around.

They aren't in the relegation zone yet and I thought their result last night wasn't that bad to be honest & gives them a great chance in the 2nd leg.

Sometimes football makes you feel sick. I hope Leicester fall flat on their face now.

Steve Ferns
14 Posted 23/02/2017 at 22:19:02
It's a disgrace. How can they sack their manager not even 9 months after he delivered the impossible for them. All that has happened since is that they have dropped to where they should be. They aren't in the relegation zone, yet, and they've plenty of time yet to get out of trouble. I hope they get relegated now and never come back.
Kevin Tully
15 Posted 23/02/2017 at 22:19:17
He'd spent £80m and was taking them into the Championship. Correct decision. The owners have a duty to do what's right for the club (keep them in the Premier League).

Boo fucking hoo.

Eugene Ruane
16 Posted 23/02/2017 at 22:19:33
Re Ranieri, seems very harsh but I hear the decision was made using some kind of new 'sense over sentiment' philosophy popular with Evertonians.
Andrew James
17 Posted 23/02/2017 at 22:38:28
This was inevitable. He was a runner up manager at top level with a group of Championship players with perhaps a handful you might argue could do it season-in, season-out in our league.

What they did was wonderful and I was pleased for their fans and the manager. But to expect them to consistently finish high up the table was just unrealistic. It was a perfect storm but storms eventually end.

Tom Bowers
18 Posted 23/02/2017 at 23:02:51
Whilst it is amazing that a club can totally back the manager only 2 weeks ago and now sack him, it has to be said he had lost the plot.

Okay, he lost a valuable player in Kante but failed to bring in the right players to solidify the squad for this season, knowing full well that last season was a fluke with the ''no-names'' he had. People like Musa, Amartey and Slimani have failed miserably although Slimani has been missing of late.

Of the others, one has to point fingers at Vardy and Mahrez who have looked very poor all season and also the central defenders have looked jaded to say the least.

Only for the good results in Europe I think he may have been sent packing earlier. The money gained from any further advancement in Europe may not compensate money lost for any amount of time spent in the Championship.

Oliver Molloy
19 Posted 23/02/2017 at 23:13:07
Ranieri paid the price for raising the bar and winning the league.

I genuinely hope they are relegated, a fucking absolute disgrace in my opinion.

Tom Bowers
20 Posted 23/02/2017 at 23:13:50
Just as a footnote, I have to say I have no sympathy for Ranieri because he will be laughing all the way to the bank, just as others like him – Moyes when he was sacked by Man Utd and Erikson when he was sacked by England.

They soon became employed again as Ranieri will.

Derek Thomas
21 Posted 23/02/2017 at 00:10:46
It's a results based game, (spelt M.O.N.E.Y). It seems a bit harsh from a 'Heart' aspect – but as we our selves have mostly said Re. Rooney... Yeah, but really, No. Head wins over heart.

Two days ago, I put this very thing to a couple of sensible Leicester supporters, they thought the same. The Premier League was last season, we savoured it, but it'll never happen again.

The Champions League is jam on the cake and all very good, but not if it means Relegation from the bread and butter.

The team is slowly sinking and only seems to pull themselves up for the Champions League. You can't sack all the players and we saw similar with Martinez. They couldn't leave it any longer.

They only had good words for the Owners and don't see them as Venky-esque.

Their main worry was who the replacement would be from all the usual poor suspects.

They didn't rule out Pearson – baggage and all, coming back. He 'gets us' and had some part in laying the foundations Ranieri improved on... In fact, they said that was part of the problem. He seems to be able to put a gloss on a three-quarter finished project, but I'd not use digging foundations in the muck.

Michael Kenrick
23 Posted 24/02/2017 at 05:17:15
Sorry, I know Evertonians like to wallow in it for any excuse but just I don't get the weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The bloke got all the credit for a remarkable happenstance when it all came together – somewhat miraculously?

So you reckon he now gets a free pass to cash in those chips – for how long exactly? 9 months, too short? 18 months... 36 months... who writes these rules?

The righteous Injustice League screams and yells and stamps their feet... complete lack of perspective. This is the Premier League, FFS... It should be all about results.

Ernie Baywood
24 Posted 24/02/2017 at 05:55:08
Exactly... how long would we tolerate watching absolute shite? Leicester are dire right now and sleepwalking towards relegation.

I say well done on last year's achievement. But they need a change in manager if they're going to stay up.

John Keating
25 Posted 24/02/2017 at 07:18:09
Ernie,

I seem to remember, in the main, watching shite from the end of Martinez's first season until he was binned.

James Stewart
26 Posted 24/02/2017 at 07:18:18
Crazy decision that will make them the most hated club in the land overnight. Some of these owners live in an alternate universe to most genuine football fans. That said quite a lot of Leicester supporters seem to be supportive of it, which is even more baffling.
Ian Jones
27 Posted 24/02/2017 at 07:32:49
One of my first reactions was that it serves them right if they go down. Then I thought, "Is that fair to the fans?"

There was discussion last night on 5Live. Two fans on. One indicating that in a results business it was harsh but probably on balance it was just. The other took the romanticised view that he should be allowed the chance to continue to get away from relegation places. Look what he has done for Leicester as a club and for the city as a whole etc. He has put the city on the map.

First guy's response was on the lines that Ranieri wasn't there to help tourism.

Football – always full if surprises.

Wonder if pinching Steve Walsh didn't help...

Colin Glassar
28 Posted 24/02/2017 at 08:01:57
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. I knew last season was a complete and utter fluke. Ranieri isn't a top manager and, with a few exceptions, they are a bang average side full of journeymen and rejects. What they did last season was miraculous (and very fishy imo) and completely unexpected so I'm not really surprised if they really do get relegated this season.

Football is big business and the owners won't want to go down without a fight. I can understand their point of view so I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Phil Sammon
29 Posted 24/02/2017 at 08:19:40
I'm a bit surprised impartial Evertonians are arguing about this, so forcefully, one way or the other. Ranieri pulled off a miracle – but right now he looks hopeless.

What would you want Everton to do in this situation?

Michael Lynch
30 Posted 24/02/2017 at 09:00:22
Ranieri is experienced enough to have taken all the adulation last season with a pinch of salt. It was an amazing achievement, possibly unique, and he will always have that. Football management, like politics, (almost) always ends in failure. How many managers actually retire at the top these days?

Having said that, it is an incredible timeframe – from hero to the boot in nine months – but football is two games: the Sentimental Game for the fans, based on irrational emotion, and the Business Game for the owners and employees of the clubs.

Mind you, there is a third game too - the Bellend Game, because that's what the owners usually are. This decision was a combination of the Business Game and the Bellend Game.

Les Green
31 Posted 24/02/2017 at 09:34:26
This is a consequence of businessmen buying football clubs – they make business decisions in sport because it's exactly that sort of action that has made them successful. But while that kind of thinking could work wonders in your commercial division, it doesn't work in the dressing room.

Paul Mackie
32 Posted 24/02/2017 at 09:56:07
He pulled off a miracle last season, but he doesn't seem to have the ability to get them playing even half decent this season. Like Everton under Martinez, they only have Plan A. Other teams have figured it out and despite trying a whole host of different tactics this season Ranieri just didn't seem to have a viable Plan B.

If they'd kept him they'd be nailed on to go down. If this were Everton then my head would be saying 'sack him' despite my heart wanting to give him more time.

Trevor Lynes
33 Posted 24/02/2017 at 11:40:20
It seems that senior players at the club complained about Ranieri to the board after the game with Seville. The players have too much power nowadays and if it is true then shame on them!

They should be the ones who shoulder the blame; if they have been playing to get the man sacked, then they should not be able to get away with it.

Martin Nicholls
34 Posted 24/02/2017 at 12:11:13
Interesting comment from the hypocritical Lineker who had this to say when Ranieri got the job:

"Claudio Ranieri is clearly experienced, but this is an uninspired choice by Leicester. It's amazing how the same old names keep getting a go on the managerial merry-go-round".

Has anyone ever heard a tv pundit do anything other than back a failing manager (he's doing/done a great job")?

[Footnote for Eugene: not my fault if hyphens not used correctly – I copied what was written!]

Martin Nicholls
35 Posted 24/02/2017 at 12:25:31
Michael (#23) and Ernie (#24) – couldn't agree more. Wish we'd been as decisive over Martinez midway through his second season.

Speaking of Martinez, I see that some above are incredulous that many Leicester fans evidently support the sacking of Ranieri – I'd remind them that many outside our city were similarly incredulous when we belatedly sacked Martinez.

Andy Meighan
36 Posted 24/02/2017 at 13:52:34
How is Leicester winning the league 'fishy' in anyone's opinion? What's that all about? They won it on merit by being the best side in the Premier League. Colin, there is no conspiracy why they won it... none at all. Unbelievable!!!
Kristian Boyce
37 Posted 24/02/2017 at 14:44:02
I'm slightly surprised at the general outrage at his sacking. In the end of the day they are the defending champions, and to be one place above relegation and on a downward spiral, it's not that surprising. Chelsea did it the year before with Mourinho. They got sussed out and Ranieri never adapted to this. Everyone's figured out how they play and countered it by either copying their style or setting up a team to nullify them. The team wasn't really strengthened during the summer as well, partly to reward the players who won them the league.

Obviously it's not just his fault, as the players are the ones not performing. In a way, I feel that they lost the appetite to compete in the league. It looks like they aren't interested and maybe it's a mental block that's causing this. To win the Premier League is the pinnacle for most players, and unbelievably these players did it. Possibly many of them may not have the motivation to do it again as they feel they've reached the top and won the prize. Probably the reason why they've done so well in the Champions League as it's a different competition.

Ray Roche
38 Posted 24/02/2017 at 15:14:18
One reason that the shower from Leicester are struggling is that they have not been awarded as many penalties as last season. I think refs have realised that Vardy (and Mahrez) had perfected the Stevie Me trick of sticking their leg out in front of a chasing player and "winning" (how I detest that pundit description) a penalty by tripping themselves up.

I think that they had a total of 18 penalties last season, 13 in the League, compared to four the season before. We had 5. They had two against us and one was, in my opinion, a dive.

Vardy is a horrible little shit who has used this trick to his advantage many times but he doesn't seem to be getting his own way this season. Just watch "Gerrard diving" on YouTube for an example of what I mean. Or "Vardy diving" for some articles on the same topic. I'd be delighted to see them go down.

Grant Rorrison
39 Posted 24/02/2017 at 15:25:37
Ray (#38). Absolutely. Their third goal against us came from a handball too. Just goes to show the difference a rub of the green can make as far as getting you the sack.
Eugene Ruane
40 Posted 24/02/2017 at 15:32:08
Ernie (#24) – 'Exactly... how long would we tolerate watching absolute shite?'

My guess, about 11 years.

As for anything 'iffy' about their title win, my opinion would be 'bollocks'.

That said, I'd love to find a little piece I read last year about... erm... oxygen in blood... or... something (that thing cyclist Lance Armstrong was... um... up to).

I read something that 'linked' (almost certainly maliciously) Leicester to such goings on but paid no attention.

Anyone remember reading anything similar?

Ray Roche
41 Posted 24/02/2017 at 15:37:12
Yes, Eugene, in fact, if you do the old Google thing it'll show a number of articles on it.

Leicester City ‘disappointed’ after claims linking players to doping-allegation doctor, for instance.

Ray Roche
42 Posted 24/02/2017 at 15:38:20
Thing is, Grant, it's usually only the BIG clubs that get things their own way.
Raymond Fox
43 Posted 24/02/2017 at 16:03:22
Michael (#30), very well put.

The TV money has made football bordering on farcical.

Chris Williams
44 Posted 24/02/2017 at 16:16:33
Another factor in their demise has been the crackdown on wrestling in the penalty area. They and Stoke were by far the worst for it. As was that horrible twat Skrtel, but he had gone before they started to penalise it.

Cheating in both penalty areas helped them a lot, but you're not allowed to say that, are you?

Mike Dolan
45 Posted 24/02/2017 at 16:17:33
It was either him or the players. I would have sided with him. Goodbye, Leicester – you are now toast.
Ray Robinson
46 Posted 24/02/2017 at 16:22:21
Ray (#38) – spot on! Also notice how the awarding of penalties for grappling at corners also handicapped players like Huth and Morgan at the beginning of the season.

It has to be said that Leicester won the Premier League based on a brilliant system of counter-attacking, high energy, and the rub of the green with major decisions by-and-large going their way as far as penalties at either end of the pitch were concerned.

The margins in the Premier League are so fine that that, combined with a certain amount of complacency, are enough to tilt the balance, turning a Championship-winning team into relegation prospects. That's why all teams need to regenerate to a certain extent each and every season.

Thomas Surgenor
47 Posted 24/02/2017 at 16:44:22
I will start off by saying that I do not think that Leicester City will get relegated but that is only due to there being three teams far worse. I do feel they over-achieved last season. It was a gargantuan effort (much like the season we finished 4th) and was always going to be difficult to both mentally and physical perform to those standards again for following 12 months. The year after we finished 4th, I felt we looked very jaded and struggled to get going.

However, I also insisted right up until the bitter end last season that they would not be Champions so what would I know? Call me sceptical but I feel their success was aided by the media and referees. It was a huge story and the fairytale was selling the Premier League product worldwide. I felt they got a bit of the Man Utd at Old Trafford ‘luck' passed their way on more than one occasion.

I'm not suggesting the sport is fixed or rigged but there are a few occasions I feel that the referees can influence an outcome to the media/money men's approval. We as Evertonians are more than familiar with that! Pierluigi Collina anyone? Perhaps I'm just paranoid!

Dave Williams
48 Posted 24/02/2017 at 16:59:14
I wonder how many fans sympathised with Roberto when we sacked him because he came across on TV as a nice guy, just like Ranieri?

Seems a lovely bloke – probably too much so to be a long-term manager at a club and it seems that his players turned on him rather than accept responsibility themselves.

With the potentially huge loss of revenue if they get relegated I think the owners had to do this as it's easier to get rid of the manager than the underperforming players.

John Daley
49 Posted 24/02/2017 at 17:59:20
"...last season was a complete and utter fluke. Ranieri isn't a top manager and, with a few exceptions, they are a bang average side full of journeymen and rejects."

You can claim he's not a 'top' boss but he achieved something that almost every other manager, pundit and piss can, has spent the last 20-odd years telling anyone who would listen is an absolute impossibility.

He led a raggedy-arsed club, who by rights should have been scrapping for survival last season, to the very summit and stayed the course, whilst the more monied Sky-wanked sides (who thought they had the monopoly on Premier League success well and truly stitched up) could only stand by all slack-jawed, worried and confused.

Such an unexpected and rapid rise was never going to magically imbue a club, whose past honours amount to oneLeague Cup and a certificate for 'Best Club Shop Carrier Bag Sporting The Fucking Mug Of A Small To Medium Sized Omnivorous Mammal', with rock solid foundations or a guarantee of further success to follow. It was always going to be a 'grab the tail and enjoy the shit out of it for every single minute you can, while you still can' whirlwind ride.

For those at the top to turn round and say "Soz mate. We've got to think of the financial implications of possible, but far from guaranteed relegation" to the very same guy who has just given their club the sort of windfall, worldwide exposure and name recognition most owners could only imagine in their most manic, red pill popping, Matrix moments, strikes me as short-sighted kecks-shitting of the most cowardly sort.

How many times have people on here pointed out the pitfalls of a Europa League campaign and the distracting, damaging effect it can have on a club's league form, particularly on a squad not used to battling on two fronts, brimming with numbers or blessed with plentiful talent in reserve?

Well, little 'got lucky' Leicester were still having a good go at it in the Champions League last time I looked. Once their exit from the 'glamour' competition was finally confirmed, I would have fancied their league form to improve enough to pull clear of the relegation pack. Now? Not so sure and certainly not arsed.

One thing I am sure of though, I would swap Leicester's last two campaigns of 'league win against all odds' immediately followed by 'arse clenching relegation battle' for any two of Everton's 'best of the rest' bollocks of recent years. Hell, make it any two over the last thirty years. Without hesitation.

Would you?

Tony Hill
50 Posted 24/02/2017 at 18:10:20
Quite, John Daley. Apart from anything else, I never saw Ranieri be obnoxious. He always showed grace, as I recall. His achievement last season was one of the greatest ever sporting feats and was a slap in the face for corporate vileness. Such moments of reprieve are priceless.

Steavey Buckley
51 Posted 24/02/2017 at 18:19:48
Leicester got off to a very bad start to the season when they were forced to sell Kante, the best midfield player in the Premier League by a mile for the past two seasons.

Then Arsenal played mind games by trying to buy Vardy and Mahrez – two of the best forwards in the Premier League last season. All of this led to the demise of Leicester in the league and the eventual sacking of Ranieri.

Tony Abrahams
52 Posted 24/02/2017 at 18:27:49
Some people prefer the comedy, John, and whilst not advocating you stop, I do think you talk a lot of sense when you keep it strictly football, mate.

What Ranieri helped Leicester achieve last season was the stuff of dreams and if there is any truth in the rumour that he had lost the players after this, then it shows you how far loyalty has sunk in modern day football. The caretaker, who has taken over, sounds more like a politician, than a football coach, after listening to him speak just now on Sky.

Darren Hind
53 Posted 24/02/2017 at 18:33:15
Who is it, Tony?
Tony Abrahams
54 Posted 24/02/2017 at 18:35:10
His name is Shakespeare, Darren, but I never caught his first name. Maybe Craig?
Darren Hind
55 Posted 24/02/2017 at 18:41:16
It will be Craig, mate. Nigel Pearson's old side kick.

Sounds like charmer Pearson may be on his way back. Hope so, he gave great interviews.

Paul Ferry
56 Posted 24/02/2017 at 18:53:02
Les Green (#31) – I don't gamble myself, but I was idly wondering what the odds would have been at the end of last season on Ranieri getting the boot before the end of this season?

I know that Rob Halligan put a tenner on Leicester going down at the start of the season, Les. I think the odds were 10/1. Lower than the odds for them to win it again.

Tony Abrahams
58 Posted 24/02/2017 at 19:04:05
I also thought he gave them a lot of belief, and a never-say-die spirit, Darren, but people change when they have a bit of success, mate, and I'm not sure some of these same players would like Nigel Pearson, that much now?
Paul Tran
59 Posted 24/02/2017 at 19:16:13
Those of us who have read Nicholas Nassim Taleb's 'Fooled By Randomness' will have lamped on Leicester not getting in the top eight last summer. Like Moyes's 4th and Martinez's 5th, they had a year when everything went right for them. Difference of course was that they won the league!

Easier to sack one manager than a squad of players.

Chris Leyland
60 Posted 24/02/2017 at 19:45:25
John D – what if Leicester City get relegated this year? Would you swap winning the league and then getting relegated for any of our seasons then?
Paul Tran
61 Posted 24/02/2017 at 19:55:05
Just to be clear, I've got nothing but admiration for what Ranieri did at Leicester and nothing but contempt for the players who have let him down, regardless of any 'tactical and selection' issues. I hope he retires and enjoys himself.

I hope Leicester recruit gobby Pearson back and enjoy the midtable position he'll give them.

Peter McHugh
62 Posted 24/02/2017 at 20:48:27
Leicester City won the Premier League. Aren't they this year still in the Champions League's latter stages, something which took City with all their wealth ages to achieve. Could go further than Arsenal have in years with that away goal just a few days ago. The same competition we only reached the qualifiers under Moyesiah to which everybody harp on how good he was for finishing 4th.

For anybody to think Rainieri should be sacked because Leicester are struggling is crazy. If the impossible hasn't happened last season and they'd just survived relegation you'd be saying he's doing well this season and likely they'll stay up again.

There's no way Ranieri has under achieved and he's definitely a top top manager.

I have never remebered us winning the league/. My earliest memory was going to 1989 FA Cup Final when his turned 10. I would without doubt put myself in Leicester City's position now if it meant we won the league last season – the league –unbelievable!

Liam Reilly
63 Posted 24/02/2017 at 22:07:50
Darren, yep Pearson is box office; he also gives good choke holds; just ask James McArthur.

To suggest Leicester's win last season was dodgy is without substance. If they did and it worked then, why not do it now to preserve their Premier League status? Doesn't add up for me.

Difficult decision with Ranieri; if he's lost the senior players as Martinez did, then there's little option available to the owners, because there's no transfer window left to replace the players.

Don Alexander
65 Posted 25/02/2017 at 04:26:47
In my opinion, Ranieri got lucky last season because of the mega-complacency of the Sky-babe teams. That's not to diminish his achievement by the way. It was stupendous, with journeyman players except for four or five at best.

That's what gives me hope re Koeman and Moshiri. Like I do, they surely know that to win things we don't need a squad of £100k per week charlatans. They/we need character and enterprise. Hopefully after our first Champions League qualification we're able to sell one or two ageing stars to replenish with Europe's finest young players.

That's their aim after all, isn't it?

Paul Birmingham
66 Posted 25/02/2017 at 10:21:18
Sad but it's always on the cards for any manager in the Premier League whose team has a bad run. Success and failure are so close in football. At least he will get a good pay-off.

It was a fluke last season and I like Ranieri as when he's portrayed himself at Chelsea and Leicester. Football is all about money and has no ethics and morals that, as a rational society, we would use ourselves.

Still, let's focus on us: I hope we win today, results go our way this weekend and The RS lose. Here's to a good 1st anniversary for Moshiri, and let's hope good news on all fronts for all Evertonians this year.

Stan Schofield
67 Posted 25/02/2017 at 11:29:13
The Leicester supporters I know, about half a dozen, didn't want Ranieri sacked. He's a hero to them. That's not to say all Leicester supporters think that way, but the guy did seem to be worshipped. Not only did Ranieri show gentlemanly grace last season, so did the Leicester supporters. They had no illusions, they knew it was a possible one-off, and they were worried about this season, mainly because of the limited squad and the effort of the Champions League, and in a sense Leicester struggling now is no surprise to them.

When we lost 3-1 to them after they won the league, they showed grace again, saying this is not Everton, we can do a lot better than that, etc. So I have nothing but admiration for Ranieri and the supporters. So his sacking is sad, and it's not clear that it even makes good business sense.

I don't understand all this business of managers supposedly 'losing' the dressing room. Players are supposed to be professionals, paid to do a job. They're not supposed to be drama queens. Ranieri is the same manager this season as he was last season. Something has changed, but it's not Ranieri.

Ernie Baywood
68 Posted 25/02/2017 at 12:32:32
There's seems to be some dispute about that, Stan. Some rags are reporting the unrest as being due to Ranieri starting to change things around. Not listening to the backroom staff, mixing up tactics and formations, changing the training.

This as opposed to last year where there was a piece (discussed in a good thread on here) regarding how it was made clear to Ranieri that he was to trust the setup (staff, training, diet, all the sports science stuff) that Pearson assembled.

Now obviously the media will make the story fit the situation, and it's pretty clear that some things have to evolve with times and requirements, but maybe there is something to it.

Jon Withey
69 Posted 25/02/2017 at 15:10:30
Maybe it was all about Steve Walsh and they are struggling without him, heh.

Strange time to sack a manager and a very experienced one too – but if it gets the team competitive enough to stay up then it could be the right decision.

Alan J Thompson
70 Posted 25/02/2017 at 17:05:22
Shame really as Ranieri always comes over as one of the nice guys.
Eddie Dunn
71 Posted 25/02/2017 at 23:28:38
Leicester under Pearson pulled off an amazing escape before Ranieri took over. The team had found confidence and a way to win. Small margins separate their performances last season compared to this. The loss of Kante is key- watching him at Chelsea shows his worth.

Also it is natural to relax a little after such a remarkable achievement, and the team and it's fairly simple methods have been analysed to death. They have been worked out, and the new faces have failed to keep them at last season's level. However, to think of the wonderful success the manager brought them, it is sickening to see such a lack of loyalty from the owners.

I agree with Lineker, that he deserved more time. If Koeman wins the Premier League next season, then I will be happy as long as we stay up the season after.

Ernie Baywood
72 Posted 26/02/2017 at 09:06:56
But if we won the league and were then bottom of the form table without a goal in 6 and dropping towards relegation like a stone, would you really care whether Koeman 'deserved' the sack? I'd just care about us retaining our league place.
Jay Harris
73 Posted 27/02/2017 at 03:50:19
It amazes me that Leicester were in 17th and looking good for the drop and the board backed Nigel Pearson and they stayed up.

They then appoint Ranieri who beyond all expectations wins them the title.

The players all got 1 million bonus and BMW i8 sports cars from the board and when the big clubs came sniffing Kante got off and Vardy and Mahrez were unsettled by potential moves away.

Some of the players thought they were better than they are and stopped working so hard and hey-ho they are back in 17th place but this time the owners do not back the manager despite him achieving the only big success they have had in their history.

What a shallow world...

Will Mabon
74 Posted 01/03/2017 at 09:29:34
I'm late to this thread so apologies if someone already posted this – the best words on the topic I heard came from a journalist on the radio, calling their ground "The Player Power Stadium".

After the performance and result against Liverpool, it's about the most accurate thing anybody could've said.

To cap it all, there's momentum building behind Hodgson as their next manager...

Jim Harrison
75 Posted 03/03/2017 at 14:23:03
Interesting article in The Guardian.

The Ranieri theory: liberation from discipline leads to success – and decay

For me, this could have been written about Martinez or Moyes, well, except without actually winning the Premier League, of course.