The chapter from Becky Tallentire's 2004 book Real Footballers Wives on Alex Young's wife Nancy was so well received that she has kindly offered us the opportunity to publish further excerpts from other club figures.

So we're turning it over to you to let us know which of the following great wives behind the successful Toffees you would like to read about next. Post your picks from the following in the comments below:

Harvey, Labone, Lyons, Hurst, Morrissey, West, Vernon, Thomas, Gabriel, Scott, Dobson, Royle, Stevens (Dennis), Kay, Lee, Temple and Sagar.

Reader Comments (17)

Martin Nicholls
1 Posted 03/03/2017 at 07:48:58
I would love to read them all but, of those listed, I'd go in particular for Labby, Mogsy and Tony Kay.
Liam Reilly
2 Posted 03/03/2017 at 07:51:15
She's not here but Mrs Van Der Meyde might've been a good read.

Of the above, Mrs Royle would be my first pick.

Martin Nicholls
3 Posted 03/03/2017 at 07:51:21
Just looked up the book on Amazon - does anyone know if it's available in print or just for Kindle?
Chris Williams
4 Posted 03/03/2017 at 08:14:08
Norma Vernon.
Dave Abrahams
5 Posted 03/03/2017 at 09:11:52
If the stories are as good as Nancy Young's, then they will all make an excellent read. Personally I would like to read the story of Dennis Stevens's wife.
Bob McEvoy
6 Posted 03/03/2017 at 11:35:31
Pat Labone, simply because I sat next to her in a Moreton doctor's surgery last year and didn't know it was her until she was called in. Kicked myself for a lost opportunity.
Terry Underwood
7 Posted 03/03/2017 at 12:09:40
Of the more recent crop of players, Howard Kendall and Andy King.
Eugene Ruane
8 Posted 03/03/2017 at 12:49:50
I'll go for Morrissey; curious to know how our barrel-chested chested winger dealt with defeat and/or those daft enough to cross him.
Jeff Armstrong
9 Posted 03/03/2017 at 17:38:44
Can we just read them all? In that order would be fine.
Ray Atherton
10 Posted 03/03/2017 at 18:18:42
Dave (#5)

I'm with you Dave, I loved Alex and Royston but I
would like to hear about Dennis Stevens. His cousin was the great Man United and England star Duncan Edwards, who lost his life at the Munich tragedy.

When we played at the London teams, a mate and myself would always go to their Hotel on the morning of the game. Dennis would put his arm around your shoulder and asked "How did you get down here?"
A lovely fella from Dudley.

Sue Brown
11 Posted 03/03/2017 at 18:20:37
They all would be great reads, but I'd go for Tony Kay, can't imagine the emotions and guilt feelings he must have gone through.

For sure Mick Lyons's wife would have many hilarious anecdotes!

Steve Ferns
12 Posted 03/03/2017 at 18:24:29
Mrs Labone.

On first reading the headline, I thought ToffeeWeb had a new feature on Wags, like a tabloid! That said... Mrs Arteta or Mrs Oviedo!

Derek Thomas
13 Posted 04/03/2017 at 01:29:57
Just take them as the come in the book.
Eric Myles
14 Posted 04/03/2017 at 02:24:28
Mrs Royle please.

He's always been my fave forward.

Alexander Murphy
15 Posted 04/03/2017 at 09:33:43
Mrs Tony Kay.

Today, Tony would get a fine and a six-match ban. As always, Everton FC punishments were, are and always will be way over the top.

I'd love to read Becky's words upon a man who strayed, from his wife's point of view. I bet it's a movie in it's own right. (I chose the word 'bet' painfully, not as a slice of wordplay.)

Though, truthfully, Becky's writing has always been worth reading. The order isn't important, the writer is.

Alan McGuffog
16 Posted 04/03/2017 at 09:43:15
I'd be intrigued by Mrs Morrisey. There seems to be little known about what Johnny got up to after he left football. A real hero of mine... wonder if he ever built a bigger garage (cough, splutter)?
Becky Tallentire
17 Posted 30/03/2017 at 19:39:05
Sorry to be late to the party, Lyndon just told me this was here whilst I was sitting at home, drumming my fingers for him to run a poll.

I was so overwhelmed with the feedback from Nancy Young's story that it would be my pleasure to share more with you. They do span the decades and are a fascinating social commentary.

Reading your comments on here, I'd say it's a close call between Janet Royle, Pat Labone, Celia Morrissey, Marina Kay and Eileen Stevens (whoever asked for Kendall and Andy King *eyeroll* – they aren't on the list)

I'll choose one of them and send it over with beautiful accompanying pictures.

Martin Nicholls #3 – it's pretty much out of print now. I'm sure my publisher is relieved, it never reached the heights I'd/they hoped for, mainly because Everton refused to sell it in the Megastore as they felt it was derogatory to the club so it just plodded along selling a handful a year.

I buy them when I see them on eBay so I do have some copies here if you can't find one, they retail at £10 plus postage. Just give me a shout if you want one.

Alexander Murphy (#15) – thanks for your kind words, it really is lovely to hear. All I seem to have written lately are eulogies and sad poems – but that's another story.