About this time last year our friend and true blue Harold passed from this life.

I wonder what he would have thought about our progress?

One thing is for sure he would be happy today.

Up the Blues

Reader Comments (15)

Peter Gorman
1 Posted 19/03/2017 at 08:30:00
I never had the pleasure of knowing Harold but I used to look forward to his shrewd posts, especially regarding the youth teams.

Given his depth of knowledge about the youngsters at the club I would imagine he'd be rightly proud of the development of Holgate, Davies and Calvert-Lewin and the fact Koeman is very keen to give them such exposure.

Dave Abrahams
2 Posted 19/03/2017 at 13:28:26
Peter, I would love Harold's opinion on the centre back candidates, at the moment none of them give any confidence to the team or I imagine many supporters, I feel that Holgate will improve this position especially with his ability to get the ball down and bring it out of defence, the three others don't want the ball and dither with what to do with the ball when in possession.

I doubt Koeman will pick Holgate for the Derby game but shudder at the thought of Jagielka, Mori and Williams defending in that game, although Jagielka is best of the three at present, especially defending, it's what he does with the ball that worries me along with the other two.

Harold might have come up with a decent solution, Koeman is stuck with what he's got, and the clean sheets mean nothing at home, in fact I'm amazed we've kept so many.

Tony Hill
3 Posted 19/03/2017 at 14:06:05
I think of Harold quite often. I wish I had some of his calmness.
Dennis Stevens
4 Posted 19/03/2017 at 18:23:14
I have no idea what Harold's opinion would be, but I do know it would be worth reading, as his thoughts always were.
Eddie Dunn
5 Posted 19/03/2017 at 22:39:40
Laurie, I am glad that you mention one of the notable "voices" of ToffeeWeb over the years. It is a shame that he has missed this exciting season, both on the park, and the developments on the ground (fingers crossed).

I wouldn't dare to second guess his thoughts, but I hope he would be pleased with our progress. I miss his venerable sense.

Tony Draper
6 Posted 19/03/2017 at 23:26:09
Alex and Harold?
I'd LOVE to be within earshot.
Paul Ferry
7 Posted 20/03/2017 at 02:13:03
Harold was/is better than Steve Walsh and the Saints fella in spotting bright European talent. Popping on here one day about a promising Vitesse Arnhem lad and a few days later a promising lad at FC Bern.

Laurie Hartley
8 Posted 20/03/2017 at 08:28:55
Dave (#2) – I suspect Harold liked the "old fashioned" type of centre half. He would probably pick one from the Tony Pulis finishing school for centre halfs – a Dawson type.

I think you are correct about Jagielka starting in the derby. It won't be a game for faint hearts.

Tony, I wish I had Harold's calmness also, especially after popping my cork on here over the Lukaku stuff.

I think Harold would like the way Koeman has gotten the team fit and playing the youngsters.

Harold was one of my favourite posters because he came across as such a knowledgeable but humble man.

Jamie Sweet
9 Posted 20/03/2017 at 20:53:03
I still often find myself thinking "this thread could just do with some sensible words from Harold" as it spirals out of control!

The guy was a legend.

Jeff Armstrong
10 Posted 20/03/2017 at 22:30:26
Jamie, you're right, if a thread had a Harold post, it always made you think, "Hang on a mo, bit of perspective here..."

We could have done with him last week when the Lukaku threads where getting a bit silly.

Jamie Crowley
11 Posted 23/03/2017 at 00:30:52
Haven't been to TW in a bit and just stumbled upon this.

Harold was a gem. I miss him on these pages.

I think Harold would be thrilled with the Club's progress.

I also think he would be thrilled to know we are getting a new stadium...,

A little birdie flew in my ear. Within 48 hours, Bramley-Moore Dock will be announced. Let's see if my birdie is true or full of poo.

RIP Harold. Let's hope my birdie is right and I'm sure you'll be dancing in heaven and be commissioned to paint the first artist's rendering of the new digs upstairs in Blue heaven.

You're missed.

Jay Harris
12 Posted 23/03/2017 at 14:09:46
It is a tragedy that Harold isn't around to see the Blues restoration to the top table but maybe he is looking down from those big blue skies with a wry smile on his face.

Mike Gaynes
13 Posted 23/03/2017 at 18:00:28
I always enjoyed my exchanges with Harold. Never failed to learn something from him.

His take on young players was especially valuable. Imagine how much he'd have enjoyed Lookman's goal three minutes into his debut with the club.

Barry Pearce
14 Posted 25/03/2017 at 12:44:55
He was just so knowledgable.

Sadly missed.

Dave Abrahams
15 Posted 26/03/2017 at 14:58:26
Jamie (11), I thought you hadn't visited ToffeeWeb for some time. your little birdie was correct and Harold would have been delighted with the news it brought.

Hope you are keeping okay, nice to hear from you.