Giants battle over Deulofeu

by   |   17/01/2017  30 Comments  [Jump to last]

The future of Gerard Deulofeu seems to be a lot more complex than is being reported in the British media. It seems that this stylish and creative player, mysteriously surplus to requirements at Goodison, is in the midst of a tug of war between giants Milan and Barcelona with Celta Vigo and Middlesbrough trying to snatch him from both.

According to reports in the Italian and Spanish media, Adriano Galliani, Milan’s Chief Executive, is eager to sign Deulofeu but right now Milan can only negotiate loans. Everton suggested a loan with a transfer deal at the end of it but Barcelona objected, claiming the sale to Everton included a first refusal on a buy back if he was sold within three years. Meanwhile, Celta Vigo stepped, in offering a reported 12 million Euros for Deulofeu after a successful loan until the end of the season. Middlesbrough is also said to be interested and offering cash now, and so favoured by Everton but not by the player.

Milan is preferred by Deulofeu because he has a better chance of a starting position – startlingly, on the left rather than the right wing. It is surprising that a player favoured by AC Milan can barely get a look in at Goodison but football is a funny game, as they say.

Barcelona does not want to relinquish their hold on Deulofeu – even though he would be unlikely to start there – because he is native Catalan and Barcelona, the perceived guardian of Catalan football culture, wants to have talented Catalan players available to them.

As Adriano Galliano told an Italian newspaper: “It is a rather complicated situation. Everton is well aware that at this time we can only do pure loans So tomorrow we'll talk and we'll see if we can find a solution, otherwise we will remain as we are. I do not like to make forecasts or predictions, I can’t tell the future.”

Most Evertonians would probably want to hang on to Deulofeu, particularly now that Bolasie is out with a long-term injury.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (30)

Derek Thomas
1 Posted 18/01/2017 at 08:37:12
Barca won't let go too easily, I think they still fancy (maybe based on his Spanish U21 form) that down the track there will be a very decent player (No 10?), hence their quid each way condition. They will string it out as long as they can, letting others pay his wages while he matures.
Eugene Ruane
2 Posted 18/01/2017 at 09:25:18
"He said 'I do' to Everton but now it seems he has lovers in Europe."

Audience: "Boooooooo!"

"Not only that but one of his former lovers says she still loves him and won't let him go"

Audience: "Boooooo!"

"We'll find out what's goin' on...after this break, don't go away"

Audience: "GER-I, GER-I, GER-I "

Thomas Surgenor
3 Posted 18/01/2017 at 09:27:13
If we set up like we did on Sunday with 'two #10s', I think he should get a run at one of them.

We should be focusing on getting the likes of McGeady, Gibson, Lennon et al permanently off our books. I still have high hopes for young Geri but he needs a run of games.

Colin Glassar
4 Posted 18/01/2017 at 09:33:33
Thomas, looks like we can't get rid of any of them, even for free!
Phil Sammon
5 Posted 18/01/2017 at 10:23:05
I'd be sad to see him go. He operates well as a Number 10 and at times he was the only one creating chances for Lukaku.

Why can't we just loan him to Milan for the rest of the season?

Daniel Lim
6 Posted 18/01/2017 at 10:28:41
I thought Lennon not too bad (of course not great or even good). Probably he's not in the market now. Geri excites me more than Lennon. But what do I know....
Brian Harrison
7 Posted 18/01/2017 at 10:37:23
I cant understand how we can give Gibson an extension to his contract at 30+ yet we are quite prepared to let 23-year-old Deulofeu leave. Deulofeu has a quality that very few at Everton possesses that's getting you off your seat at times.

Also the Barcelona buy back lasts till the summer, they had an option to buy him back after his first season for ٤.4 million and another clause to buy him back this summer for €12 million. So I cant see how anybody can buy him unless Barcelona waive their buy back clause.

I hope we keep him and he gets a chance to play in the Number 10 position rather than stuck out wide.

Brian Williams
8 Posted 18/01/2017 at 10:40:57
Phil (#5).

I reckon Everton don't want him to go out on loan because they want the cash to spend on somebody else.

What I can't understand is that if Barca still have first option, and we want rid, then offer him to Barca first and if they turn down the offer would that not mean they've relinquished their right?

All very complicated but doesn't "first refusal" mean if you're offered him and refuse then he's free to go elsewhere?

Michael Penley
9 Posted 18/01/2017 at 10:45:33
Who is "we" Brian (#7)? The Gibson extension was given before Koeman came in. It is unlikely that it would have gone through after his arrival, as we've not seen a glimpse of him this season.
Brian Harrison
10 Posted 18/01/2017 at 10:49:40
Michael (#9),

Sorry, I shouldn't be referring to the club I have supported for 65 years as 'we'. I of course should have said 'the project that is Everton' gave Gibson the contract extension.

Brian Williams
11 Posted 18/01/2017 at 10:49:42
Michael (#9).

I think the "we" Brian refers to is "we" as in Everton, you know like how a lot of Evertonians want Honest Ron to refer to the club when he speaks.

Do you never say "we" when you mean Everton?

Brian Williams
12 Posted 18/01/2017 at 10:50:54
Brian Harrison. It IS "we" mate. If it isn't, there's something wrong!!
Gordon Crawford
13 Posted 18/01/2017 at 11:06:54
Starting to think we need to sell before we buy another player. Shouldn't let him go, it's madness. Play him in the hole behind Rom – that's what I would do. Anyway, thank God I'm not a football manager.
Brian Harrison
14 Posted 18/01/2017 at 11:08:47
Brian,

Like you, I have always said 'we' when talking about Everton, but when I saw Michael's comments I thought maybe I was wrong.

Andrew Ellams
15 Posted 18/01/2017 at 11:30:15
All those saying play him in the hole. Who would he replace after the Mirallas and Barkley performances on Sunday?
Eugene Ruane
16 Posted 18/01/2017 at 12:12:29
I know Geri has his weaknesses (ie: he's physically..um..weak) however I'm convinced had we played with two strikers in his time with us (specially ones who take up a position on the far post) or more goal hungry midfielders, his 'assists' (spews in own mouth at using Sky word) would be a lot better.

I haven't counted them, but I know I've watched him put over a lot of pinging low, hard crosses (that Lineker would have loved) that should have resulted in goals.

Brian Harrison
17 Posted 18/01/2017 at 12:26:31
I would really like us to keep him and I would like to see him at least get a game in the number 10 role, which he hasn't been given the chance so far. Obviously we don't know what happens at Finch Farm and maybe that Koeman doesn't see what he wants on the training ground.

But everytime he is brought on he usually creates something, he is always looking to deliver an early ball to Lukaku. Surely he must be a far better option than Lennon, who looks like he might create something but invariably doesn't. Yes Lennon does a better defensive job but surely playing 3 at the back would lesson the need for Deulofeu to do so much defensive work.

Also, we keep talking about Ross and potential yet he is the same age as Deulofeu and Deulofeu hasn't been played in his best position, yet it's okay to let him go.

Brian Williams
18 Posted 18/01/2017 at 13:59:03
Gotta agree with Eugene there with regard to Geri's crosses.

Even on Sunday, there were more than a few times when someone would get the ball and take it down the wing and there'd be no Everton player in the box. Not having a go at any player in particular but me and the guy next to me both saw it time after time where the players you want in the box were literally "jogging" towards the box and weren't in it by the time the cross had been made.

Even if the cross isn't a particularly good one, enough attackers in the box unsettle defenders, make them make mistakes, and increase the chance of a deflection or a goal due to a crowded box melee.

It's the same with the old "pressing" game. Put players under pressure and they'll fuck up, a la Stones on Sunday.

Gordon Crawford
19 Posted 18/01/2017 at 14:45:59
Sadly I think we are going to lose Geri for good. Personally I think this is a tragedy.
Graham Mockford
20 Posted 18/01/2017 at 15:09:00
I've always thought the cross across the face of the goal gets a strange reaction. Of course it is a fine way to attack and if a man is found a tap in often ensues.

However, the reaction always seem to be, someone should've got on the end of it when, in most instances, I observe it would often be impossible for the forward player to reach even if he anticipates the cross.

Take the first goal on Saturday. Mirallas picks out the perfect pass to Lukaku who can side foot home. I can guarantee had Mirallas squared across the face of the goal, there would have been cries of Lukaku not 'making the right run'.

For me, if a winger plays the ball across the face of the goal that finds no-one, in most cases he has played the wrong pass.

When Ashley Williams spoons one of his cross-field passes into the dugout, I never hear anyone saying Seamus should've been on his toes and anticipated it was going 10 yards in front of where he was standing.

Ken Buckley
21 Posted 18/01/2017 at 15:09:11
BBC Report

Everton reject Milan loan bid

Shane Corcoran
22 Posted 18/01/2017 at 15:38:33
I don't think Gibson is 30+. He moves as much as a 90+ however.
Liam Reilly
23 Posted 18/01/2017 at 16:20:58
Madness to let him go; especially as I assume we'd have to part with some of the cash to appease Barcelona; should they even agree to the sale.

Why not keep him until the summer when the Barca clause dies and then see where we are?

If it's about getting in new blood, then I'd rather wait until the summer rather than sell this guy.

Dave Ganley
24 Posted 18/01/2017 at 18:33:24
Problem with Geri is that you never know what you'll get, either brilliance or show pony. We saw both sides of that against Leicester in the FA Cup. A run at defender and whip a ball in for Rome to score and then a ridiculous amounts of step overs which fooled no one especially the defender.

If he can just concentrate on being productive, then he can be a real asset; carry on with the show pony tricks and he will be a liability in constantly losing the ball when in threatening positions. It's up to him but I would think the powers that be are running out of patience with him.

Jim Harrison
25 Posted 19/01/2017 at 13:05:52
He doesn't work hard enough to play off Rom. That's the problem. Out on the wing he can produce magic going forward, but he doesn't pressure enough or offer enough cover for RB. Perhaps he just isn't the right fit for us?

When the Yak was sold, he scored plenty for an under performing Blackburn. But that's all he offered. Get the ball to him he would stand a good chance of scoring, without the ball he was a passenger. I see a bit of this in the Geri situation, except he is young and has time to evolve.

Is tough, but I think that keeping him prevents Koeman signing a player better suited to his ideas of how the team should play.

Yes, he looks great in the Under-23s, but so did Niasse.

Michael Kenrick
26 Posted 19/01/2017 at 16:26:21
Can't add much to the debate about Deulofeu. Such a disappointment that those flashes of brilliance are so often in isolation from the rest of the team...

Jim (#25), "Yes, he looks great in the Under-23s, but so did Niasse." – I think you must mean Spain's U21s? I don't think Deulofeu has ever played for Everton's U23s.

Colin Hughes
27 Posted 19/01/2017 at 16:32:53
Still others I would ship out before Deulofeu. Gibson, Kone, Oviedo and Besic for starters... also McGeady and Niasse will be back in the summer if those respective clubs can't buy.

At least Deulofeu isn't injury prone like most of the above.

Jim Harrison
28 Posted 20/01/2017 at 03:52:30
Michael (#26), I meant.....

Ah, who really knows what I meant! I was drunk.

Nicholas Ryan
29 Posted 20/01/2017 at 12:23:45
Could it be, that the fans think he 'pings' but Koeman thinks he 'pongs'?!
Philip Yensen
30 Posted 21/01/2017 at 11:26:42
I agree about getting rid of some of our fringe players and in some ways getting rid of Deulofeu is not totally off the mark. He will not be happy coming of the bench or getting a replacement off it.

He does need a run in the side but if he is not doing the basics he leaves gaps and exposes Coleman. He needs to think like a an English player but with Spanish skills.